Archive for Friday, July 4, 2008

Armed robbery reported at home on Delaware Street

July 4, 2008

An armed robbery was reported in the 1200 block of Delaware Street early Friday morning. Thomas Klocke, 59, told police that two males in their 20s entered his house, displayed a handgun and then took his property, according to the Lawrence Police Department. The two left through the back door. The incident occurred about 3:30 a.m.

Klocke, who was struck, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment and was later released, the police department reported.

Comments

1wetwilly 6 years, 5 months ago

Assault, rape, robbery and murder are common in Lawrence now-a-days. Drug trafficing is rampant. The cost of single &/or multi family housing is high while the quality of housing is low. The prevailing local employers pay low level, unlivable wages. The once reputable school system is quickly deteriorating. The local government has a dubious reputation. Why live in Lawrence?

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

I grew up in East Lawrence, then worked most of my life in the East Bottoms . Never had a gun or knife pulled on me..... It was news when I got in scuffle with a kid my own age, and we got a fat lip... My how things change. Hopefully, we maintain our Police Force, and make budget cuts, by fewer traffic calming devices, and maybe (disaster) less welfare for Downtown merchants. .

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 5 months ago

Or maybe we already have. The following is circulating via email:Howdy all,Just an announcement that a couple of us folks affiliated with the EastLawrence Neighborhood Association are calling for an emergency meeting todiscuss developing concerns over safety in the neighborhood. We feel thatrecent events have made a last minute meeting necessary.Saturday July 5, 7pmEastside People's Market409 East 12th Street (12th and Connecticut)East LawrenceIf you can attend, please do so, and also please spread the word to folkswho might be interested in such a meeting.Thanks!Dave

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

excusing violent crime because of economic trouble is nuts! obviously these were two strong healthy young men. there's plenty of places they could get assistance, i.e. pennhouse is in that neighborhood! there is no excuse for this. also, we don't know who they were...they weren't reported to have spoken with a topeka accent! [sarcasm!]. it is equally valid to blame permissive lawrence liberals, with judges and juries who fail to render proper justice to wrongdoers, thus encouraging them in their criminal lifestyle. now, see how silly that is! actually mine is more sensible than the "kc/topeka/ghetto refs! ***take care Tom. get well soon.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

doc1 (Anonymous) says: "The worse off economy gets the worse the crime is going to get. Desperation makes people to desperate things."Temporal correlation does not imply causation. Just because two things occur around the same time that is not enough to say that one caused the other. The logical fallacy is also known as cum hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin for "with this, therefore because of this") and false cause. Hemlines go up and down along with the stock market, which caused which? 85% of the time a Super Bowl win for a team from the old AFL (AFC division) foretells a decline in the stock market for the coming year, a win for a team from the old NFL (NFC division) means the stock market will be up for the year. But clearly who wins the Super Bowl does not cause market to rise or decline.A correlation between economics and crime implies that bad economic times cause the crime, why not the crime causes bad economic times? Or even bad economic times means a reduction in police resources which creates a target rich environment for criminals? The US economy is slowing but technically the US is not in a recession, no decline in economic growth. Studies of areas with few jobs and little or no economic activity also show high crime rates, but it was rising crime rates, higher insurance rates, and greater losses that caused the businesses to leave. Business do not like to start new enterprises in high crime areas for all the obvious reasons. It was the crime that caused the bad economics, not the other way around.Can anyone point to one single crime that was solved in Lawrence where the criminal needed food, or medicine, or were going to lose their house and car? Theft in Lawrence, as far as I can tell, is far more often caused by economic greed than hunger or economic necessity.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

it still doesn't excuse the armed robbery, or the violence they committed against Tom. if crime was their solution to economic trouble, it suggests they had crime in their souls already. lots of people face worse economic straights and don't resort to crime. [sorry, I think that's supposed to be straits]. punishment for these crimes should not take economic circumstances into account.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

btw, this is just a few doors down from the shooting site of a few weeks ago. neighbors living in that area, please try to find peace and a sense of safety. hang in there.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

esl03 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow! Lawrence is starting to be like KC and Topeka

found_it 6 years, 5 months ago

An economic excuse is too clever by half and rather Marxist.

myarr 6 years, 5 months ago

How original, blame everybody else. It's no secret that people from Topeka, KC, etc come to your lovely city and shoot people. But you guys have your own fair share of thug idiots. Lawrence is one giant glass house with plenty of rocks getting thrown. I'm not saying Topeka is great, but you guys have shootings, people getting robbed, fights, drunken idiots to, and believe it or not they live in your town. At least in Topeka when I'm going to Chipolte I don't have to step over homeless people just to get in the front door.

electricsaa 6 years, 5 months ago

I grew up in lawrence and this makes me sad to hear this. how bad is the homeless situation. I now live in seattle wa. and we have thousands of homeless people.

doc1 6 years, 5 months ago

bearded_knomeI agree that these two guys were not stimulated by the economy, however it is undeniable that in the whole of things that crime gets worse when the economy sinks.

doc1 6 years, 5 months ago

myarr 6 years, 5 months ago

Don't get me wrong, I love Lawrence, but not everybody from Topeka carries a gun and lives in the getto.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 5 months ago

I find it amazing that less than a month ago two guys try to rob someone less than a block away, and two end up dead; then, so soon two more have the balls to attempt the same thing less than a block away.I'm as much a cheerleader of Lawrence as anyone, but these patterns are not a sign of good things. Forgive the negative vibe, but when a town gets to be this big, the criminal element grows too. Crimes like this are here to stay as long as there are addicts walking the streets.We have the "it's from Topeka" rant, the "it's the homeless" rant, the "it's hip-hop" rant... and the common thread that you will see (if you look closely) is that people who are addicts or have addictive behaviors in their lives make these kinds of choices. Police reports do not always reveal that element of crime, but those who work in prisons to rehabilitate these men will tell you that chemical abuse is common to nearly every crime being committed, from rape to burglary.

secretresistance 6 years, 5 months ago

Screw you up and down B3, my daughter lives and breathes here just like children anywhere else.

ITSnotTHAThard 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow b3,....what a humanitarian you must be. I moved to Lawrence for the first time one year ago. I live in the most friendly neighborhood I've ever encountered in my life where neighbors actually interact and look out for one another. It's a quiet neighborhood with mostly home owners who've been so for many years.Oh, and by the way,.....I live less than 3 blocks from the two recent crime events. So for you, in your brand new home who must not care about the life that lives within 25 feet of you, to make such a broad generalization about thousands of people is pretty ignorant. I understand there is low-class housing mixed-in in East Lawrence, but driving a BMW does not determine ones character. The fact that you have such disregard for your community is alarming.The people in my neighborhood are wonderful and giving individuals who'd never take your sort of poor 'elitest' attitude.Your neighbors must feel lucky.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "So you've successfully identified a vicious circle, Sigmund. Bad economic conditions create good conditions for crime, and a high crime rate creates bad economic conditions. Kind of a no brainer, isn't it?"It may be a no brainer but you seemed to have missed my point about causation and give me too much credit. I didn't discover this relationship I am just reporting what others have identified.I had hoped to dispel the common misconception that a bad economy causes crime when all the evidence suggests that the opposite is true. It is crime that caused the bad economies. Vicious or not that causation is not circular. Government programs targeting an areas for economic improvement without reducing crime first is wasted money and legendary. However, when crime is first reduced in an area people and businesses were willing to invest or reinvest in those areas improving the economics. Lawrence is known far and wide as a town that tolerates, even encourages, alcohol abuse an illegal drug usage. The PLC/GRA marijuana ordinance, while all very progressive and stuff, sends that message loud and clear. It may surprise you that those who deal and use marijuana might also deal and use other illegal drugs. Like alcohol abuse pot isn't so much as "gateway drug" as a "concurrently used drug." It should be no great revelation to anyone that those that break the drug laws are more likely to commit other crimes.Parts of East Lawrence are widely known for groups of houses, streets, and properties where drug use and dealing are prevalent. While meeting at the local "The Peoples Locally Grown and Free Range Tofu Cooperative and Social Justice Center" to discuss what to do about the crime in their neighborhood is a good begining, unless the residents of are willing to put down their bongs and work with the police to reduce the drug dealing and use in the area it will be a wasted effort. Not only will the violent crime and non-violent crime continue but the economics of the area will suffer as well.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

jackbinkelman (Anonymous) says: "It's the Eastside People's Market."My bad. Although I might mock them I wish them nothing but success. That area needs neighborhood businesses like this to thrive and prosper.

dorothy 6 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone else notice that this is the same man from the 6 News video who described the gunshots he heard and gave a description of a white car leaving the scene of the Delaware shooting that left two dead earlier this month? I've thought all along that there was more to that story than 2 men were robbing a house. This is too much to be a coincidence. Sounds to me like maybe authorities should be taking finding that white car more seriously.

compmd 6 years, 5 months ago

Its an Open Carry kind of day for me!

scott3460 6 years, 5 months ago

"Wow! Lawrence is starting to be like KC and Topeka"I know, let's build a road that'll make it easier for the thugs to get back and forth between Topeka and KC.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

b3... you are something. I am proud to say that I lived and worked in East Lawrence most of my life. My house is paid for, as well as most other folks on the East and North side. I was taught this at a very young age: " I am no better than you, and you are no better than me" ITS NOT WHERE YOU LIVE, IT IS HOW YOU LIVE!

hairshoptalk 6 years, 5 months ago

i don't think we can blame anything, but blame to two awful people who did this. yes its scary but Lawrence is the same its always been bad times come and go but Lawrence is always the same wonderful place!

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 5 months ago

Any update on this? Anyone know what happened at the East Lawrence Neighborhood neeting that took place afterward?