Archive for Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Grand jury declines to indict Tiller

July 2, 2008, 4:53 p.m. Updated July 3, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

— A Kansas grand jury declined Wednesday to indict one of the nation's few late-term abortion providers, saying it did not find enough evidence to indict him on any crime related to abortion laws.

In a written statement, grand jurors said that unless the Legislature amends state law and provides clearer guidelines, it is unlikely any investigation will provide a basis to indict Dr. George Tiller.

The panel said it reached its decision after a six-month investigation that included hearing witness testimony and reviewing documents and medical records of patients of Women's Health Care Services.

Grand jurors said they believed the state Legislature made an earnest attempt to limit late-term abortions by including the words "substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function" to prohibit the abortion of a viable fetus unless two doctors find the abortion was necessary.

"Our perception is that these words were used to insure that only the gravest of circumstances would allow the abortion of a viable fetus," according to the grand jury statement. "However, the medical records reviewed by this jury revealed a number of questionable late-term abortions with regard to the diagnosis of 'substantial and irreversible impairment."'

But jurors wrote that as the current law has been written - and interpreted by the Kansas Supreme Court - late-term abortions will continue for many circumstances that as a matter of common interpretation do not meet the definition.

Lee Thompson, one of the attorneys representing the doctor, said the decision shows Tiller is following the law.

The grand jury was convened after abortion opponents circulated a petition calling for the Tiller investigation. Abortion foes contended Tiller has violated a 1998 law restricting late-term abortions.

The Kansas attorney general's office has filed 19 misdemeanor charges against Tiller in Sedgwick County alleging that the doctor failed to obtain a second opinion for some late-term procedures from an independent physician, as required by law. That trial has ben repeatedly postponed, and is now scheduled for July 28.

Within minutes of the announced decision, Operation Rescue President Troy Newman issued his own statement saying abortion opponents were extremely disappointed the grand jury did not indict Tiller.

"Once again, we are suspicious that corrupt influences in the government, which have been influenced by Tiller's large financial involvement in Kansas politics, may have thwarted justice once again," Newman said.

Comments

monkeywrench1969 6 years, 8 months ago

THey need to move on finally. They have used every means at their disposal to go after to Tiller. Quit wasting our money trying to prosecute without basis.

Newell_Post 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, what do you know? The good citizens of the Wichita grand jury can see through a political abuse of the legal system when they see it. Good going, Wichita.

ronwell_dobbs 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow, I am suddenly impressed by Wichita residents for a change/originally from there

1029 6 years, 8 months ago

Poor "pro-lifers".....those idiots worked so hard on their petition.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 6 years, 8 months ago

Take THAT Phill Kline! Had enough of this jerk??? I have.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 8 months ago

frwent (Anonymous) says:"Take THAT Phill Kline!"Amen. His antics are way out of decorum for the positions he holds and has held. Definitely not professional, for someone who is supposed to be.I believe there are some court actions still under consideration against him. Good luck with that, Phill.

dweezil222 6 years, 8 months ago

Ratiionalanimal, your arguments will only persuade those who already share the view. Abortion has no "murderous essence" if you're only talking about a clump of cells. Heck, by that rationale, I'm committing genocide against millions of defenseless bacteria every time I clean my bathroom. I am going to concede one thing: as long as we're only talking about late-term abortion, I agree it's wrong, UNLESS to save the mother's life. But I daresay that few if any of the pro-life fundamentalists would be satisfied with merely banning late-term abortion. But to go any farther is to force upon a significant portion of society a religious value they do not want.I once had a minister tell me that he was glad for religious freedom and tolerance, because a choice forced upon you is really no choice at all, and carries no meaning for you.On a closing note, keep in mind the drastic increase in the number of unwanted and neglected children a ban on abortion would create. It's population control, pure and simple, in a manner far less oppressive than that employed by some countries. I'd far rather see children grow up in homes where their parents don't resent them and those who don't want kids not have to face the burdens and their children deal with the abuse of being undesired. It also helps alleviate the population problem in a much less oppressive manner than that employed by, say, communist China, where abortion/infanticide is not only permitted but mandated by the state for every child beyond a couple's first.

Mike Blur 6 years, 8 months ago

Can the State bill Operation Rescue, et. al for costs incurred convening this grand jury?

javamonster 6 years, 8 months ago

I am so pleased to see that all of you are so open minded. Yes let's attack people who would like to preserve the life of an infant, who didn't even get the chance to voice their opinion on whether or not they would like to be born.Christians/Pro-lifers are not ignorant people, and it saddens me to see that what you want the most, which is peace and understanding, that you don't provide the same courtesy.

yellowhouse 6 years, 8 months ago

I guess false inadmissable hearsay evidence is only admissable as evidence in Federal Court if you are the Yellow House Store. And convicted felons are needing a free get out of jail card!

javamonster 6 years, 8 months ago

Also.. don't you feel a little bit hypocritically a_flock_ of jayhawks using the word AMEN in reference to insulting a man who is trying to protect the very word and value of the people who not only use that word, but believe in it?I'm not sure if you were trying to provide irony to the article or not.

ronwell_dobbs 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow, that was the most professional threadjack I've seen in quite awhile. Is there any possibility at all that yellowhouse will just dry up and blow away one day?

labmonkey 6 years, 8 months ago

It's good to see the citizens of Lawrence revel in their pro-baby-killer victory. I don't like Kline as much as many of you, but this is one fight where he is in the right. It's amazing....kill a newborn, it's considered murder....kill it a couple weeks prior in Kansas, it's a "woman's right."

labmonkey 6 years, 8 months ago

I never said he did....I just said he was in the right in this case (since I know his name always comes up when Tiller is mentioned). If a grand jury turned down something involving his wanting to incriminate a doctor for not reporting that a 16 year old had sex, I would be right with you in saying "TAKE THAT PHIL KLINE!" Personally, I would prefer him stay away from pro-life activities because he makes people who are against abortion look bad. Our Governer eating a dinner with Tiller and today's lack of indictment make me as ashamed of my state as when Kansas went for Huckabee.

yankeelady 6 years, 8 months ago

How about doing something really radical and spending time and effort on education, healthcare and energy?? I know it is a bizarre concept but there are other issues out there.

dweezil222 6 years, 8 months ago

Parkay,I find your "IQ tests for grand jury members" point interesting, given how frequently and intensely your pro-life brethren extol the virtues of the "common man."Mothers who don't want their children shouldn't be forced to have them; when they are, the results are kids who shoot people over a freaking XBox or decide that the way to be popular is to see how many STD's they can spread around an entire high school football team.

dweezil222 6 years, 8 months ago

Citizen-initiated grand juries are just a bad idea. I agree with whoever said bill Operation Rescue. If you're going to push for something like this, you better have a good enough grasp of the law to make sure your claims have some merit. We have rules requiring attorneys to pay fines when they file frivolous civil suits; such an egregious abuse of criminal procedures should be similarly punished.And to all the pro-lifers: Don't want an abortion? Don't get one. But stop trying to force your views down my throat. And don't come crying to the taxpayers for welfare money when you can't afford to raise the kid.

fletch 6 years, 8 months ago

"Our Governer eating a dinner with Tiller and today's lack of indictment make me as ashamed of my state as when Kansas went for Huckabee."The cognitive dissidence in that sentence cracks me up.

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says:"unfortunately it seems yh is like a case of herpes, hangs around forever."Not quite. Herpes can at least be calmed through medication ;)

one2no 6 years, 8 months ago

labmonkey 6 years, 8 months ago

At least dweezil, parkay, and rational animal are having a debate instead od isulting each other like beobatcher and marion do. Good job guys. Abortion is murder. I don't see how anyone can get around that fact, especially with late term abortions. If you want population control, make birth control even more available....hell, put it in the water in high schools. I am even for RU486 in cases of rape... but how can something be murder one week, and a "woman's choice" a few weeks before. It don't make sense. And Pro-lifers (especially Kansans for life), take the blinders off. You do nothing but galvonize the opposition. Quit passing out the sheets that tell your followers how to vote (as I have seen people at the voting booth carry those sheets in with them). Kansans for Life alone is responsible for electing Sabelius by the hatchet job they did on Kinght in the 2002 Republican primary. And many are against birth control.....that is ignorant. Kids an adults are gonna have sex anyway....lets prevent the pregnancy so abortion isn't even a choice.

labmonkey 6 years, 8 months ago

Fletch-I see nothing contradictory about my sentance. I was embarassed when Kansas went for Huckabee and I am also embarassed our governer will dine with a late term abortionist. Although on opposite ends of the political specturm, both make the state that I live in and love look bad.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 6 years, 8 months ago

Dweeail222 - "And to all the pro-lifers: Don't want an abortion? Don't get one. But stop trying to force your views down my throat. And don't come crying to the taxpayers for welfare money when you can't afford to raise the kid."Again, AMEN!! If you don't want someone else to have an abortion, it is none of your damned business. You do not know the circumstances, you are blinded by your religious voodoo, you are a nosy parker busy-body who has nothing to do but condemn others for their situation. Move to North Korea or Iran, where the government enforces stupid religious practice, you will like it there.

Rationalanimal 6 years, 8 months ago

dweezil222Abortion ends a human life, there is simply no other honest way to characterize the reality of it.Comparing the formation of human cells to bathroom bacteria should cause you to pause and re-evaluate your position on valuing human life. Concern for such position is further evidenced by equating abortion as some virtue by resulting in "population control." That can be accomplished by selecting volunteers by odd numbers or random lottery to be executed in the name of public good. If you really want to be utilitarian, take the old and sick folks out first because they stand to contribute the least to society. Where have we seen that before?Somewhere, there is a girl whose conscience will not let her rest. Stop listening to the liars that don't have to live with your guilt. Come forward and save lives.

Rationalanimal 6 years, 8 months ago

"I just only wonder why Phil Klines Mom did not have an abortion.I after dealing with this stupid Fu-k just think that would have only made the world a better place."This statement, perhaps, captures the murderous essence of abortion. Attempt to twist the issue into "choice" or "privacy," it is in reality and all practicality the intentional causing of death of a human life.Sebellius, the Kansas Supreme Court, the Attorney General, all like Pontius Pilate, have blood on their hands. They should be viewed for what they are--the base ilk of society that protects vermin like Tiller who snuff the light out of defenseless and helpless human babies. Shame, shame, shame on the supposed leaders of Kansas who "look the other way" as the defenseless die. Somewhere, there is a girl suffering inextinguishable guilt for allowing Tiller to perform a late term abortion. That event ended the life of a little boy or little girl that should be running to you with open arms calling for "mama." It must haunt your conscience like an unquenchable fire. The only relief is to come forward and expose the treacherous deeds of those that are being protected. Do the right thing by coming forward. The babies you save by coming forward will make up for that horrible decison. It will help others from making the same awful decision in a weak moment of emotion and helplessness. In your heart, you know it is the right thing. Come forward. Now is your chance to end the guilt and save lives.

kansanjayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

I am disgusted at liberalism run amok--- how can you defend the taking of unborn life in the sixth thru ninth month. It is a brutal killing that is taking place and many of us will not rest until this injustice is overturned! Shame, shame, shame on the Kansas legal system!