Archive for Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Severe thunderstorm warning for Douglas County has been canceled; severe thunderstorm watch still in effect

July 2, 2008, 6:21 p.m. Updated July 2, 2008, 9:14 p.m.

The severe thunderstorm warning for Douglas County has been canceled.

At 7:22 p.m. trained spotters and National Weather Service Doppler Radar indicated a severe thunderstorm capable of producing half-dollar size hail and winds in excess of 60 mph was located two miles northeast of Lawrence.

The National Weather Service issued a watch until midnight, advising that storms possibly capable of producing large hail and damaging winds will be likely across the area tonight. The majority of the storms are expected before midnight, with the most severe before 10 p.m. and north of Interstate 70.

Locally heavy rainfall is also possible.

Other counties in the watch area include, among others, Franklin, Shawnee, Jefferson, Leavenworth and Wyandotte.

Approximately 280 Westar Energy customers are without power throughout Lawrence.

Comments

melott 6 years, 6 months ago

Apparently Sunflower is trying to put out the story (via CSRs) that they are required to do this. Notice anything like this on tv stations. No.

melott 6 years, 7 months ago

Doesn't anyone else find this as annoying as I do?

budwhysir 6 years, 7 months ago

late breaking news::: the weather is unpredictable and we have no idea what it will do, should you see dark clouds expect rain, if you are getting wet go inside, if you cant walk or stand up you are in a bad storm, if you are now able to fly::: we have a tornado

welch 6 years, 7 months ago

I believe the weather service announcement is required by law. I got it in Kansas City, and am getting it here.

budwhysir 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes you are correct it is a law that they mess up my programs to tell me what might not happen

notajayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

And regardless of what the weather alerts are saying, the thunderstorms themselves are still in effect here.

dweezil222 6 years, 7 months ago

eh. Call me when the tornadoes are coming. Short of that, I don't give a rat's ass.

llama726 6 years, 7 months ago

"the far left bias of msnbc/nbc et al is very well documentd:www.mrc.org."Presently, 60% of the site's front page is devoted to negative reporting on Barack Obama. John McCain? Not mentioned.Clearly, you have a reputable source.

alm77 6 years, 7 months ago

The guy on Fox 4 News is holding up a hand full of hail to the camera. I'm not kidding, he just went out and scooped it up off the ground. Now THIS is entertainment. click

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

no, that's probably real hail, not staged. the thing that always gets me though is the people reporting on extreme weather: hurricane, hail, rain, snow, etc. they all think they have to get out in it to report it on the TV! one of these days, I wanna see some of the hurricane damage take out shepard smith, or katie horner hit in the head and knocked out by hail. classic, the film footage of the "brave reporter" standing on the beach, as the hurricane comes ashore. duh. you're telling everybody else to take cover! **and, I know it gives you indegestion Beo, but Fox News Channel is the big boy in cable news networks, often overshadowing their competition-put together, for ratings. you guys like polls, there's a kind of poll and Fox News wins.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

beo, are you reacting to the emergency alert system announcements? if you are on cable, you get those preceded by three digital audio tone blips, then a tone followed by the text of the warning. I noticed that for a while we had several, like maybe six of them. unfortunately, the cable system isn't too bright: here in lawrence we were getting the emergency alert system notices for johnson county and leavenworth county! with all their digital wizbang frufru, taking the coding coming on thos alerts, contained in the digital audio blips, they could isolate their warnings, and we would only get the ones aimed at dg co here in lawrence kansas tv's. wouldn't that be nice? one of the reasons the weather service went to thsis emergency alert system is so that we can have programmable weather radios that detect those digital audio blips and only go off for the county you designate. sunflower can do better, I am sure!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

okay,again, for the third timeare you talking about the emergency alert system tv interruptions! funny, you automatically assume fox news channel viewers are "mindless." more e elitism like barry h. obama's comment about people in small towns being bitter and therefore clinging to their faith and their guns! beo, you can't think that ephete elitism is gonna win one soul to support your perspective, can you? the far left bias of msnbc/nbc et al is very well documentd:www.mrc.org. simple fact, again so you might grasp it: people are more likely to choose to watch fox news channel than all the other cable news channels, often all of them combined! simple irrefutable fact, been so for years. should read: "effete." since I'm not, I'm having to try to learn how to spell it!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

oh, sounds like that ex didn't have much upstairs. and, again, Beo, you can't dispute the real numbers. Fox News beats all the other cable news outlets, often combined! furthermore, the leftist bias: Dan Rather, Chris tinglefoot Matthews, etc. lefties do get their expression on fox News all the time. what you far left fringies want to do is shut down speech that you disagree with. where's all the free speech emphasis now? just like you wackos are all antiwar, passivists, but want to shed GWB/Dick Cheney's blood. hilarious. but back to the topic Beo, did i describe what was bothering you? was it the emergency alert system interruptions that are automated? one just went off as I'm writing now, on lawrence cable tv but from the "pleasant hill" [kansas city] nws office. as I said above, on these the sunflower people could do things much better, take advantage of the coding and only interrupt tv's in the area warned. what a concept! so, beo, to quote your great leader "I feel your pain!"

melott 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't believe I have seen this before for thunderstorm warnings. I don't believe it is required by law. It is probably just some idiot overreacting to the previous stupidity where they didn't put off the sirens when there was a tornado warning. Now they do, and somebody came up with this for "safety". Everyone, please call Sunflower and complain: 841-2100.It won't do any good to post your comments here.

notajayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says: "Fox news is a joke. Not what you watch if if you want real balanced and unbiased news. Formerly known real reporting."Oh, yeah, right.Fox News (or anything owned by Rupert Murdoch) is hopelessly biased.I suppose B.O. watches MSNBC and everything anything in Ted Turner's (the former Mr. Hanoi Jane) holdings (like CNN-Time-etc), which are paragons of objective journalism?

TopJayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

BG-- Did you hear about Keith Olbermans' melt down when he was trying to get to Russerts funeral? He is such an a$$. I cannot believe anyone watches him.. He tries to pass himself off as a experienced news man, but you need to remember, a lot of that time was as a sports anchor at ESPN, and I believe he got fired from that. Burned all of his bridges I guess. What a complete clown. I still can't believe that they allow Glenn Beck on there. I would like to see Beck and Olberman mano Y mano..

melott 6 years, 6 months ago

I have confirmed that Sunflower is not required to do any kind of warning, and that if they do one what kind is totally up to them. So don't let them try to lay the blame on the weather service for this nonsense.