Burrito King's owner owes a $1,250 fine after health inspectors in April uncovered several health code violations.
In documents released Tuesday, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment said it had fined Burrito King as a civil penalty for violations at the restaurant, 900 Ill., as uncovered during inspections April 18 and April 29:
¢ An employee failing to wash hands after touching bare human body parts other that clean hands or arms, and after "engaging in other activities that contaminate the hands."
¢ Failing to adequately protect stored foods.
¢ Failing to adequately keep potentially hazardous foods properly cool.
¢ Failing to sanitize utensils and food-contact surfaces of equipment before use and after cleaning.
Also documented during the inspections, but not leading to fines: an employee using bare hands to handle ready-to-eat foods; failing to convey sewage to a disposal point through a system that had been properly maintained; keeping a pesticide on site that is not approved for use in a food establishment; and failing to maintain a sink's sanitizing solution at a safe level.
Burrito King has not yet paid the fine, which was due June 19, said Mike Heideman, a spokesman for the department.
Also fined by the department was Super 8 Motel, 303 Montana Ct. in Leavenworth. The hotel has paid its $500 fine for operating from Jan. 2 through April 18 without a proper lodging license.