Archive for Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Two teens detained after burglary at Deerfield School

Two people are taken into custody Tuesday morning after Lawrence police say they burglarized a Lawrence elementary school.

July 1, 2008, 11:32 a.m. Updated July 2, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Lawrence police took an 18-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy into custody early Tuesday morning in connection with a burglary and theft at Deerfield School, 101 Lawrence Ave.

Police caught two suspects with a laptop computer, said school district spokeswoman Julie Boyle. Police had responded to an alarm at the school at 1 a.m.

Police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said police saw two suspects running out of the school, and after a short chase, police apprehended them. Officers recovered stolen electronic items, including computer parts.

The 16-year-old was detained on charges of burglary, theft and criminal damage. After an investigation, the 16-year-old also faces allegations of burglary, theft and criminal damage in a separate case, Murphree said. Prosecutors charged the 18-year-old suspect, Zachary R. Schmidt, Tuesday with burglary, theft and criminal damage. A judge set his bond at $5,000. His next court appearance is scheduled for Monday.

Comments

somebodynew 6 years, 5 months ago

LJW - where is the story about the 2 that were caught for robbery and inappropriate behavior with a minor ????? According to the article posted at KCTV5 this also happened last night.

terrapin2 6 years, 5 months ago

I am absolutely disgusted to read about these shenanigans in Lawrence, but I'm also very pleased to hear that the Lawrence Police Officers caught both suspects "red-handed". When I saw the broken glass door at Deerfield when I dropped off my son for Boys & Girls Club this morning I figured it was an attempted theft of some kind. I hope the 18 yr old has a job so they can garnish his wages to compensate Deerfield. And I hope he gets a serious sentence. But since I don't know what the total value of goods stolen I'm not sure if it was enough to make this a felony charge. And if the 16 yr old gets sent to Juvie Hall I hope his parents have to pay restitution to Deerfield to compensate for the damage he helped cause. And then make him work a hard job to pay them back after he's out of Juvie!To the 18 yr old and 16 yr old who did this, and their parents(!):I want you to know that your thoughtless actions left a bunch of kids at Deerfield feeling a bit less safe in their school when they saw that broken glass door this morning. I only hope that this is the wake-up call that alters your life's path for the better so that we don't see your names in the LJW in a few years for armed robbery, attempted murder, rape, etc.

BaxterC 6 years, 5 months ago

Why was Julie Boyle not there to tackle the suspects when they arrived at the school?? She is so not doing her job.

hockmano 6 years, 5 months ago

Chances are that these two offenders are repeat offenders. I doubt it was a one time thing. It seems like most of the kids that go through the juvenile detention system go in and out like its a revolving door.The teenagers of this town need more programs to keep them busy!

Shelley Bock 6 years, 5 months ago

You would be surprised that the 16 juvenile could actually receive more time in custody than the adult.If the adult bonds out, he would be free until found guilty. If he had not committed person felonies in the past and wasn't on probation or bond, he would be eligible for probation.If certain criteria exist, the juvenile could be detained in the Detention Center until he was found guilty. His ultimate disposition would depend on his past history.Both would be required to pay resitution for the damages. Court costs could be worked off by Community Work Service. Parents are not obligated to pay restitution.

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

I saw that on KCTV5 also and checked LJW over for the story too. Makes you wonder why KC has the story and not LJW. Thought it would be here today, but evidently not.

Bone777 6 years, 5 months ago

Breaking into a school in the summertime?No class....

ECM 6 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm maybe these two should be questioned about similar break ins around Lawrence where the same type of items were stolen.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 5 months ago

Right-on LPD. Maybe the word will get out that our community pursues and actually catches the bad guys. Give those kids a job, and let them earn some money... that's what the rest of do.

compmd 6 years, 5 months ago

The 18 year old will get community service, a fine, and probation because he will likely plead out. The 16 year old will quite possibly get juvenile detention.And how does this incident make the children at Deerfield any less safe? I'm sorry, but I'm throwing the BS flag on the "think of the children" ploy here. This incident took place at night when there were no children around. There was no violence, and nothing done to any person. What could possibly make "the children" less safe?Instead of letting your children be afraid of some broken glass, you should be teaching them that there are people who do bad things in this world and that living their lives constantly in fear of those people will stunt their personal growth and close their minds.