Archive for Thursday, January 31, 2008

Shot fired during attempted robbery

January 31, 2008

Lawrence police are looking for a man who Wednesday battered a convenience store employee with a handgun and then fired a gunshot before fleeing.

Police gave this account:

The incident occurred shortly after 11 p.m. as the male employee was outside putting personal items in his car as he prepared to close the Shell station at 1733 Mass., police said.

The suspect approached with a handgun and demanded money. When the employee resisted the suspect struck him with the handgun. The employee attempted to get back into the store when the gunshot was fired. The suspect ran from the area to the south. He did not get any money.

The employee was not struck by the gunshot but he was treated at the store for minor head injuries by Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical.

When police responded to the store at 11:17 p.m. they found one spent shell casing.

The suspect was described as a black man between 20 and 30 years old. He was about 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighed about 160 pounds. He wore a long, black jacket, baggy blue jeans and dark gloves.

Anyone who has information about the incident is asked to call 843-TIPS.

Comments

Bill Chapman 7 years, 3 months ago

Using race or "culture" (quotes because the baggy jeans ARE associated with gangs, and I do NOT consider gangs to be a culture) to defend against profiling makes me want to get a sword (katana), walk down Mass Street. I would then proceed to hack anyone attempting to profile me as a "dangerous" person for carrying a sword down Mass St. - that's called sarcasm by the way.

Profiling is not wrong, it is merely "common sense" (quotes because it is rarely common) to put someone matching a general description into a category that fits with the persons' appearance. If I see someone walking down the street wearing baggy pants, $300 high tops, and a sweatshirt with the hood pulled low over their head so I can't see the face, I assume it to be: a rap fan / wannabe gangsta trying to look "cool" or possibly a gang banger. If I can tell that such a person is carrying a large heavy object in his / her pants or pocket - I'm gonna call the cops.

For all you anti-profiling freaks out there make note: I never stated the race of said individual!

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

spym00se 7 years, 3 months ago

That sucks. I used to stop at that station all the time when I lived in lawrence because their gas pumps are super fast, which is awesome when it's really cold out. The folks that work there are super nice. Hate to see that happen to one of them.

gogoplata 7 years, 3 months ago

When they catch this guy they need to strip him of his CCW license. People like this should not be carrying guns.

toefungus 7 years, 3 months ago

I think stripping him of his freedom would be more appropriate.

thebigspoon 7 years, 3 months ago

I am glad that Naughty but Nice isn't in that criminal district anymore.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

RT, however the entire exchange took place outside the establishment, so even with a "No CCH" sticker, he'd probably get off with a warning since he didn't exactly go inside during the fracas.

I go around that area all the time. Makes me want to get my CC license.

meanbean101 7 years, 3 months ago

"They should strip him of those idiotic baggy jeans first!"

"Did the criminal come directly from Last Call, or did he stop by later for a tasty repast?"

These comments are ignorant and create divisions between our cultures. Both have nothing to do with the issue at hand. People get upset when African-Americans say anything about rascism and accuse them of pulling the race card.As an African-American,let me say it is about much more than race at this point. The problems are about complete disrespect of people you don't even know for what they wear or where they go. I don't know why there is the need for these comments because they are not at all constructive and do nothing but feed the fire of cultural, class, and racial seperation in our country,So please, knock it off.

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

If a guy comes up behind you and demands money, do you think you would have time to pull a gun on him? The bad guy with the gun fired on the employee, so maybe when the employee was trying to escape, he could have pulled his gun? I don't know how a CCH would help here, except an employee with a gun could chase down the bad guy with a gun.
Just glad no one was seriously injured.

chemegirlie 7 years, 3 months ago

meanbean- the article stated that he was wearing baggy jeans.

"He wore a long, black jacket, baggy blue jeans and dark gloves.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

meanbean101 (Anonymous) says:

"They should strip him of those idiotic baggy jeans first!"

These comments are ignorant and create divisions between our cultures.

Meanbean, maybe you should give yourself a cultural enema. YOU are the only one talking about cultural diversion here. White people wear baggy pants and go to Last Call as well.

What's your problem? Maybe in your quest to be so liberal, you are really a bigot?

Yabut 7 years, 3 months ago

Shame on those Fire & Medical people, creating head injuries! Really, "journalists", learn how to create a freakin' sentence that is gramatically correct.

Centrist 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion, you missed the point, that Shell charges way too much for gas.

We are free to use the word Karma anytime - but wait, aren't you the great Free Society Thinker of Lawrence?

Where are those ideals now?

meanbean101 7 years, 3 months ago

I specifically said I was talking about CULTURAL and CLASS divisions as well. No need for the immature name calling.Why do you feel the need to label me as a bigot or a liberal? You don't even know me or my beliefs.

meanbean101 7 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sure white and blacks can share the same culture...

meanbean101 7 years, 3 months ago

I repeat:

"As an African-American,let me say it is about much more than race at this point.The problems are about complete disrespect of people you don't even know for what they wear or where they go" Learn to read kneejerkreaction. Or would that be too liberal for you?

BlackVelvet 7 years, 3 months ago

Marion wrote: Besises, a truly effective method of "gun control" is "Two to the body and one to the head."

Screw "double tap"!

Marion....it's simpler than that...you simply pull the trigger until the threat is GONE! however many shots it takes!

rocketmom67 7 years, 3 months ago

This is sad for this family. I have gone there several times and they are very nice. They are more expensive but I work in Gardner and their Shell is always more expensive then the other stations on the same street. Maybe it is a Shell thing????

BigPrune 7 years, 3 months ago

Here's a police profiling suggestion: Pull over all cars with Shawnee County/Wyandotte County plates.

meanbean101 7 years, 3 months ago

ok you guys are the ones freaking ou tabout race. do you really not see that? Noone's accusing you of being racist so simma the f down