Archive for Monday, January 28, 2008

KU football player arrested, released

January 28, 2008

Scott David Webb, 23, a Kansas University senior and kicker for the 2007 Jayhawk football team, was arrested Saturday on a failure to appear charge. He was originally issued a notice to appear in Municipal Court for having a dog at large on Oct. 30. He failed to appear in court on that charge.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Mark Warren, Webb was a passenger in a noninjury accident Saturday. The police officer who responded to the accident checked the vehicle's occupants for outstanding warrants and discovered Webb had a warrant for his arrest.

Webb was taken to the Douglas County Jail at 4:34 p.m. and was released on bail of $132 bail at 5:07 p.m.

Comments

busymom 7 years, 3 months ago

So one football player was arrested in August for shoplifting and the trial was held off til after the season. Another football player has a dog at large. hmmm

justforfun 7 years, 3 months ago

OK. did they just not see him at the KU bsketball game at halfcourt on Saturday????

fu7il3 7 years, 3 months ago

"Obviously, warrants issued get very low priority."

It's not like the police are going to to go hunting down people for a bench warrant because they didn't show up for court on having their dog off a leash.

It's probably the first time he had been involved with the police since he got the ticket in the first place.

OnlyTheOne 7 years, 3 months ago

It's not the charge so much as the obvious lack of responsibility and disdain for authority evident in the "failure to appear."
Geez, how hard is it to get up a 7:00 be at court by 8:00, say "no contest, your honor" and prattle a little bit about being sorry and not letting it happen again? Then walking away clean with a $25.00 fine paid for by some athletic supporter. No, it's I'm a big time KU football player and they wouldn't dare mess with me.

fu7il3 7 years, 3 months ago

Ask Brandon Rush. He no-showed twice, but they've put it all off till after basketball season. I'd hate to have his real-world lack of responsibility intefere with his jump shot.

busymom 7 years, 3 months ago

Well no one dares mess with athletes, after all what else does KU have.

fu7il3 7 years, 3 months ago

Not much since they dropped off the list of best values academically.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 3 months ago

Has ignoring the law become a badge of courage for KU athletes?

janeyb 7 years, 3 months ago

Kontum1972--thanks for the laugh.

I'd like to see the stats on college students with outstanding warrants. Hundreds? Thousands? I bet the majority aren't athletes.

achtung 7 years, 3 months ago

as a passenger, are you required to hand over your id? even for a routine traffic stop?

BigDog 7 years, 3 months ago

I guess KU has hit the big time when the kicker is considered a football player.

BalkansHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

BigDog

What did you think the kicker was when he missed two field goals against MU, an innocent bystander with poor aim?

BigDog 7 years, 3 months ago

BalkansHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I did laugh when I read your post BigDog. Pretty good. I recognized the sarcasm immediately which, in turn, compelled me to pass a little sarcasm back your way. Really, I actually laughed outloud. As for the two missed FGs against MU, we didn't lose that game because of them. We didn't put together a complete game from the start, MU played exceptional, and had we played better the first half, we would have won by two touchdowns.

more_cowbell 7 years, 3 months ago

X-D BalkanHawk, good one! "two birds with one stone"...

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 3 months ago

Spot on, Marion. This is exactly like anyone else would hve been treated in this situation, except that it wouldn't appear in the newspaper. What about this is newsworthy? What's next a look at his checkbook to see if he paid his utilities on time? Come on. The charge itself is pure chicken poop. The real question is what idiot wrote the ticket?

TheStig 7 years, 3 months ago

Scofflaw that I am, I once accumulated several hundred dollars in unpaid parking fines. One bright spring day a very cute blond in tight blue jeans showed up at my door asking if I was the owner of the car in the driveway. I smiled and looking deeply into her bright blue eyes said, "Yes it is, why?"

She pushed aside her jean jacket revealing a Glock nine millimeter, a pair of nickel plated handcuffs, and a WPD sheild. Then in a voice as sweet as honey, purred "Because I'm officer Billie and my boss told me to come over here and either collect the money or arrest you and take you to jail."

"Will you accept a check?" I asked. "Sure, " she smiled. "Well then come on in while I look for a pen."

We ended up dating on and off for a while and the experience taught me three things. Always pay your fines as it is very unlikely that the Feds, State, or City is going to forget about them or decide the amount is so small that it isn't worth their effort. Never trust cute blond haired, blue eyed women who unexpectedly come knocking at your door. Finally, if your letter is printed by Penthouse you get a free T-shirt.

kujayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

It was a "dog at large" people. Give it a break.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 3 months ago

"It was a joke. Many players don't consider kickers "real football players" because they only come in a couple times a game and rarely get involved with physical contact or tackling anyone"

I can't understand that mindset. Those three points count just like the ones earned by blood.

I plan to teach my girl to kick a football. Instant scholarship, baby!