Letters to the Editor

Islam attack

January 27, 2008

To the editor:

David Burress attacks Cal Thomas' anti-Islamic columns, calling them "bigoted" - reflective of an intolerant set of received views - but the samples that Burress quotes don't clearly make that case. Any of the quotes might be reasonable in the context of Thomas' arguments, which Burress does not engage.

That aside, I invite him to consider Ayaan Hirsi Ali, not an American right-winger like Thomas, but a modern, liberal refugee from the Islam of her African/Saudi upbringing, a victim of genital mutilation and escapee from a forced betrothal, who has said "I see no difference between Islam and Islamism. Islam is defined as submission to the will of Allah, as it is described in the Koran. Islamism is just Islam in its most pure form."

She has also said "Islam is the new fascism." She insists that at the core of Islam is hostility to pluralism, civil liberty and the tolerance Burress presumably supports. Strong words. Is Ms. Hirsi Ali also to be dismissed as "bigoted," or should liberal, tolerant people consider her arguments in some detail?

Hirsi Ali expresses - and Thomas claims to agree - not a hatred for Muslims as persons, but for the illiberal ideology of Islam. Burress muddies that distinction in his eagerness to take offense for others. Thomas might be a Christian propagandist attacking a competing revelation, but Hirsi Ali relates her direct experience with this medieval, totalist worldview, expressing a courageous, outraged humanism that any true liberal should admire and emulate.

Bruce S. Springsteen,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 5 months ago

I had no idea that "The Boss" lived in Lawrence.

Tandava 7 years, 5 months ago

Want to know what Islam is REALLY like? Read Ayaan Hirshi Ali's book, "Infidel"! (Then read her other book, "The Caged Virgin", a series of essays.) Hirshi Ali tells it like it is, and pulls no punches in her assessment/description of Islam. Everyone should read both of these books!

Weezy_Jefferson 7 years, 5 months ago

Give it a rest, "right_thinker." You don't seem to have any problem with barking at liberals, yet you bristle when somebody speaks against conservatives. You're posts are predictable and very one-note.

yawn

Speakout 7 years, 5 months ago

Just like Christianity or Judaism, everyone looks at their religion from a different perspective. I don't know this woman Hirsi Ali, but I know thousands of Muslims. It isn't at all like she says. She writes so that you will further your bigotry and pay her for her books. Obviously she isn't writing what is right, but what sells. Take a Muslim to lunch and talk to them about what they believe and what their religion is all about. You will be surprised.

mick 7 years, 5 months ago

The mainstream media propagates this sort of hatred in order to make war palateable to us.

Stephen Prue 7 years, 5 months ago

here we are 500 years after native american culture and beliefs were trampled in the dirt and people are still fighting over who and what god is or isn't. and they call the great american experiment progress. i think not.

Weezy_Jefferson 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, right_thinker, don't cry. Geez, I didn't think I was that harsh. There's nothing wrong with predictability itself. In fact, I rely on it for some things----the sunrise, lunch hour at work, my car starting when I turn the ignition, etc. It's just that when someone's comments are predictable, I tend to think that he or she is merely responding in a programmed, knee-jerk way and not taking time to actually get involved in a discussion.

By the way, I'm honored to be considered one of your valued LJW neighbors. Thanks!

Ralph Reed 7 years, 5 months ago

right_thinker (Anonymous) writes: "What's wrong with predictability? Goodness sakes! I can't say anything on LJW On-Line, an award-winning forum, without suffering harsh rebukes from my valued LJW neighbors."

I can't understand why that is rt. Perhaps it's an inability to listen to opposing viewpoints or opinions, coupled with an inability to discuss things rationally without vitriolic slams. Wouldn't you agree It's a d**m shame that posters must write like that on the LJW forums?

I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

lubyloo 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm guessing that the author of this letter was Born in the U.S.A.

Ralph Reed 7 years, 5 months ago

right_thinker (Anonymous) writes: "Are you the real Ralph Reed, Ralph? Who are youreally?"

I'm real and I am Ralph Reed, so by extension I am the real Ralph Reed. I've asked, and was met with scorn and derision, for a couple of people to send me an email with their real name and email so we could discuss differing points of view.

Are you willing to answer that request. I don't release names or expose people.

I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

uncleandyt 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh , god When all the dinosaurs were safely aboard Noah's Ark, and suppertime arrived on the twentieth night at sea, did you ,god, in your infinite wisdom, have any idea the The River would be a double-album?