Letters to the Editor

Who’s to blame?

January 22, 2008

To the editor:

I don't know whose decision it was, the Kansas University Athletic Department or Sunflower Broadband, to broadcast the game only on a premium channel. In my humble opinion the decision was for the birds, and I don't mean the Jayhawks.

Carl Guggisberg,

Lawrence

Editor's note: Neither Sunflower Broadband nor the Kansas University Athletic Corp. was responsible for the decision to broadcast the Kansas-Missouri game on ESPNU. According to KU Assistant Athletic Director Jim Marchiony, the Big 12 Conference negotiates television rights with ESPN, which then has the right to broadcast Big 12 games on whatever "member of the ESPN family" it chooses. ESPN has chosen to feature several "marquee teams" on ESPNU, he said, to try to build interest in that channel.

Comments

oldvet 6 years, 11 months ago

IMHO, the real looser in this ESPNU situation was Sunflower Broadband... yes, they made bucks from all of us who added the sports package at the last minute (and I will be canceling mine later today, having enjoyed the game)... All SB needed to do was turn on the sports package with ESPNU for every subscriber they have for no charge. Announce it as a freebie for two or three days so that all Jayhawk fans could see the game and try out the package, then turn it back off unless the subscriber called and decided to pay the monthly fee to keep it. This would have been the greatest public relations move for them at very little cost or revenue lost. It reminded me of the airlines responses when 9/11 happened... all were talking about changing flights for a fee except for one - Southwest... they offered to refund any ticket, even the "non-refundable" tickets, or change any ticket to another date at no charge, and it was the ticket holder's choice. Southwest pulled off the greatest public relations move of the day with very little cost to them. Too bad Sunflower didn't think like that!

KS 6 years, 11 months ago

Not the first time I have heard of "install/cancellations" of ESPNU. If there is a will, there is a way.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 11 months ago

In other words, to build their pocket books by making us pay for yet another ESPN channel. I do appreciate Sunflower Broadband for being helpful in "installing" the sports pack so I could watch the game with family in my home, and then cancel the installation the next day. BTW, that will be the only game this season on ESPNU.

Speakout 6 years, 11 months ago

I am not a great television fan, except for sports and a few shows that are worthy of watching. We lost a great deal when we lost broadcast TV and went to cable and now satelite. We have to listen to commecials that are louder than the program and some are so stupid you think your two year old directed it. But that is "modern" television.

Sports are getting so pricey that only the rich will be able to enjoy watching them. Have you ever tried to get a ticket to a KU Basketball game if you are not a student? Kind of expensive. I am happy for the success of KU this year and I hope it continues. I enoy watching them win or lose but winning is lots more fun. We should be able to watch them on television and enjoy them from our own house.

Larry Powers 6 years, 11 months ago

This really has nothing to do with the broadcast of the game, but about the stadium. I recently went to Alabama for on-site work for my job. While there, I met a man who noticed my Jayhawk Orange Bowl sweatshirt. He was from the neighborhood where the stadium is located and he grew up in that neighborhood. He was back home during the game. He said he has never heard that stadium as loud as it was that day and that KU and VTech really rocked the stadium. Larry Powers

fletch 6 years, 11 months ago

Ahhh misplaced self-righteousness and rage.

paavopetie 6 years, 11 months ago

Editor's Note: Because this newspaper is owned by the same people as Sunflower Broadband, we decided to include an Editor's Note with this letter making us look good. It wasn't our fault, honest!

It wasn't too long ago all I read about was: "Wah, wah! They moved the football game to Kansas City. Wah, wah! What about the local businesses? Wah, wah!"

Why weren't you at your local sports bar on Saturday to watch the game? Local businesses need your support from all of the lost revenue for the moved football game.

What you need is someone like Senator Kerry on your side. He got the Patriots' game moved from the NFL Network with a threat of Senate hearings.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 11 months ago

oldvet says... "Too bad Sunflower didn't think like that!"

You obviously know nothing about how Disney/ABC (ESPN's parent company) negotiates their agreements. Try reading one sometime if you can find it...the FCC's archives may have reference to one or two in conjunction with some of their filings. They basically dictate what can and can't be done with their content. Violating the agreement by doing what you suggested will impact Disney's revenue stream and you can practically count the days before they land you in court for damages and pull all Disney / ABC / ESPN content from your lineup.