Archive for Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Two men charged after shots fired on K-10

Before incident, suspects, victims kicked out of Last Call

January 22, 2008

Two men were arrested in Johnson County early Sunday following a shooting on Kansas Highway 10.

The suspects and the victims - all from Kansas City, Mo. - earlier had been in Lawrence, where they'd been asked to leave Last Call, 729 N.H.

The suspects are charged with shooting at another vehicle containing several people while heading east on K-10, Johnson County Sheriff's Deputy Tom Erickson said. No one was hurt, but two bullet holes were found in the victims' vehicle, a Cadillac Escalade, he said.

"They were removed from Last Call earlier in the evening," Erickson said. He said he didn't know why.

Johnson County officers received a call about the shooting about 2:30 a.m. from one of five people in the Escalade, Erickson said. Sheriff's officers, along with police from Lenexa and Olathe, stopped both vehicles between Ridgeview and Renner roads. Spent bullet shells from a handgun were found in the suspects' vehicle, Erickson said.

The suspects were identified as Sidney Gulliam, 19, and Reginald Eugene Mack II, 19. Both have been charged in Johnson County District Court with aggravated battery, aggravated assault and discharging a firearm. They are being held in the Johnson County Jail on $25,000 bond.

Last Call lost its state drinking license late last year over allegations of illegal drug activity occurring inside the club. It has remained in operation, however, as a "bring your own booze" establishment.

Comments

RonBurgandy 6 years, 8 months ago

So many surprises here...last call was involved? No way!

Wilbur_Nether 6 years, 8 months ago

Notice, however, that LC did bounce them.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 8 months ago

"Two men charged after shots filed on K-10"

Two men are filing shots on K-10? The nerve of those dirty filers.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

"Two men charged after shots filed on K-10"

Was that under "A" for ammunition or "B" for bullets???

somebodynew 6 years, 8 months ago

W_N yes LC did bounce them. Right onto the streets of downtown. Fortunately the "victims" were able to get into JoCo before being caught and shot at. Could have happened in Downtown with pedestrians and uninvolved people getting hurt. But if LC wouldn't attract all of these KC folks over here, it would have happened in their towns, not ours.

schweppy 6 years, 8 months ago

"Two men charged after shots filed on K-10"

After shots FIRED. Also, was this this weekend? I thought there was another incident recently where a Kansas City shooting had also been linked to the Last Call.

50YearResident 6 years, 8 months ago

I wondered if the Journal World would pick up this story. I saw it last night on channel 5, 10:00 News

Note: These people do not have concealed carry permits.

schweppy 6 years, 8 months ago

Here is the story I was remembering. Striking similarities between the two, only no one died in this incident. It's hard to ignore the fact that both shootings took place after persons left Last Call and while they were driving on a Kansas City area highway.

compmd 6 years, 8 months ago

Why is it that when I look at the 700 block of New Hampshire I think it is the perfect set for a reenactment of the movie Death Wish 3? Where's my Wildey...

Wilbur_Nether 6 years, 8 months ago

I think what somebodynew would have LC do, scenebooster, is stop attracting "that crowd."

Centrist 6 years, 8 months ago

Last Call need to totally revamp - or go.

I feel bad for the business owners, but when you are constantly attracting trouble, you need to make a (business and ethical) decision.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 8 months ago

"But if LC wouldn't attract all of these KC folks over here," only one word missing here," why not just reword that statement as, "we don't want them folks here"?

Wilbur_Nether 6 years, 8 months ago

OK, I'll grant that I'm hypothesizing about what somebodynew wants, and I should let somebodynew speak for him- or herself. scenebooster, your criticism is accepted.

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 8 months ago

Say no to thugs! This club needs to be moved out into a pasture so if they want a shootout they won't hurt anyone besides themselves. We might have to hire more coroners though. Should be BYOB-Bring your own bulletproof vest

toyss29 6 years, 8 months ago

Sombodynew...I'd like to clarify something... Kansas City is not the only city in the eastern part of the state that has "those people". While Last Call seems to have its share of issues with patrons, "those people" can reside in Lawrence, Topeka, etc.The troubles at Last Call don't necessarily revolve around Kansas City. You can classify me as a black male, living in Kansas City.

onthekaw 6 years, 8 months ago

Responding to Centrist, I frankly don't feel sorry for the business owner. Remember this front page picture? http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2007/jun/10/126224/ If he were a character actor, he would play the dishonest businessman in every movie of his career.

notobsessed 6 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if Mr. Steffes takes his 7 year old daughter Monica to Last Call . . . ?

somebodynew 6 years, 8 months ago

OK to stand up for myself and my comments.

I did not say "them folks" and find it interesting people are trying to interpret my meanings. I know bad people of all races and creeds live in all the cities in Kansas, BUT - LC does have a verified history of having a large number of trouble making (gun toting) citizens of the Kansas City area coming to this town. and that is who the majority (not all) of the trouble surrounds.

I am just saying that the only reason most of these people are here is to go to LC and Steffes promotes that no matter what might happen to the rest of the community. If Steffes were to relocate to the KC are these people (white, black, or brown) would not have to come here and then shoot at each other on the way home.

BTW - i would feel the same way if it was a white redneck country bar. (In fact probably feel stronger about it as I don't like rednecks and/or county music.)

I would continue this discussion, but I do have to sign off to go to work. Thank you for you time.

Larry Miller 6 years, 8 months ago

Actually, Skybox in KC was closed (for much the same reason) so LC in Lawrence is the place to go.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 8 months ago

This story makes the first strong argument as to why Last Call should be closed completely and not just slapped on the wrist and not allowed to sell alcohol. Bringing your own alcohol all the way from KC or Topeka is also opening the door for more open containers in cars and more drunk drivers.

I just hope that the lost alcohol sales is enough to close him down for good.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

Scene - What do you mean by "a bar, of any type."?

Are you saying that there are different types of bars and the difference would lead one to consider them in a differing light?

Isn't that what the folks are saying when they comment about the crowd that hangs at this place? Do preppies tend to hang at certain bars, bikers, cowboys, etc.?

If this bar became a huge hang out for off duty police officers and clergy members would it be the same bar? Do you think on the way back to the parish shots would be fired between rival gangs of Wesleyans and Methodist?

The argument that it happens outside holds no water:No different than having a heavy polluter in the middle of town, the factory would just argue that as soon as the smoke is generated they send it outside, so it's not their problem.

Bud Stagg 6 years, 8 months ago

bcman, he sleeps well at night and obviously has very nice cars. I wonder if he would park them outside LC on a Saturday night?

Corey Williams 6 years, 8 months ago

What about that bar on mass...Brothers. When I came downtown friday night to see the midnight movie at Liberty, there were two cop cars outside with their lights on and people were still lined up down the block to get in.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

I have read all of your post on this thread and you are trying to say that this type of bar is no different than any other bar. That the trouble is not the bar but something outside the bar.

What most other posters are saying is that bars differ, and that this bar differs and creates a public saftey hazard. Sometimes when it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it's a duck.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

Doesn't matter if they sell food or if they don't. Doesn't matter what they sell or don't sell. You say all this happens outside of the last call so the last call has nothing to do with it.

If after leaving Penny Annies patrons repeatedly took shots at each other I would guess that the City would/should be taking a long look at Penny Annies business license.

akt2 6 years, 8 months ago

I thought in previous articles on the establishment, that you had to have a written invitation to get into it when they went BYOB. Oh well as long as Johnson County is handing out written invitations to their jail, that is good enough.

BYOB. Might stand for Bring Your Own Bodybag one of these days.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

"But if LC wouldn't attract all of these KC folks over here, it would have happened in their towns, not ours."

Well, hell, as long as it's not happening to us, who cares about anyone else.

akt2 6 years, 8 months ago

It is all over the Kansas City news. This does make the second incident that started at Last Call and ended up in the Kansas City area. Great public relations for Lawrence. Go to Lawrence to spend some money in their lovely downtown. Get caught in the middle of a gangster shoot out. Real nice.

ModerateOne 6 years, 8 months ago

"Go to Lawrence to spend some money in their lovely downtown. Get caught in the middle of a gangster shoot out. Real nice."

We are just as nice to companies who offer good jobs: "Go to Lawrence to spend some money and create some biotech jobs in their lovely town. When you want to expand your operation watch the citizens "shoot" each other because no one, but no one, should bring more jobs to Lawrence."

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

"And I'm still waiting for a reasonable response. You people cannot possibly think that this guy is going to just shut this cash cow down because some idiots shot each other in a different county?"

Is this some libertarian argument that any business should be allowed to conduct it business in any manner it so chooses as long as it make a healthy profit? The collective citizens have no say or governmental authority to regulate commerce in any way? Could I not for example then drive my car at any speed I choose as long as I could prove that doing so was a profit for myself?, Pollute the air and water? Sell lead painted pacifiers?

workin2hard 6 years, 8 months ago

Everyone is so quick to blame Last Call.Last Call threw them out. Are they to give them a personal ride home to make sure they behave like good little girls and boys? If Last Call closes where do you think they will hang out next? The Dog maybe. Since LC lost their drinking license i'm sure they are looking for a new place to hang out. Hip Hop clubs are going to be around for a long while. And they have every right to be in business just like the country clubs and bar and grills.

greenworld 6 years, 8 months ago

They were from KCMO, i wonder if they were white dudes? Geez..they took K-10 back to hood instead of I-70.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 8 months ago

A great story from the Kansas City Star about a "hip-hop" club bar done right.... http://www.kansascity.com/273/story/444431.html

sweettrue2 6 years, 8 months ago

Serious prejudice and stupidity floating like *&%$ in this discussion.... typical

gkwhdw 6 years, 8 months ago

Does someone in the fine town of Lawrence,ks ever think that it's suspicious that with all the bad places K>C> has for the kind of clientele that LC has, don't ya think that they probably have a major operation goin on in establishment somewhere? Everyone's tired of the leniency, close the joint down, or quit complainin!

Nikki May 6 years, 8 months ago

My kids have been in bars too. Granada is the main one, but they've actually entered the pool room and the bottleneck (and several food ones). It said these kids were 19. I'm guessing liquor license has nothing to do with it. But, I'm with scenebooster in question of what should be done (aside from closing the place down because that is NOT a solution). They act up and the business kicks them out. They leave and commit a crime. Last Call didn't call cops when kicking out the people because there was no crime AT THAT TIME.

oldgoof 6 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like Marion's internet gun and freedom store has been busy lately.

Rabbitgoesthump 6 years, 8 months ago

i dont mind last call, one black shoots another black, so that black ends up in jail...

population control, keep last call open, its only helping eliminate the problem of to many blacks

gerbilsniper 6 years, 8 months ago

now if we could only figure out a way to control ignorant bigots