Archive for Saturday, January 19, 2008

28 charged in trashing of poet Frost’s residence

January 19, 2008

— Twenty-eight people are accused of attending a birthday party and New Year's celebration that left a farm house where poet Robert Frost once spent his summers in tatters.

They were all charged with trespassing and five of them with unlawful mischief - both misdemeanors - stemming from the Dec. 28 party at the Homer Noble Farm house, authorities said.

The farm house had broken windows, broken antique furniture and tables burned in a fireplace. Vomit and urine stained the carpeting and beer cans, cups and drug paraphernalia were left behind.

Comments

Kookamooka 7 years, 6 months ago

I read where all of them were card carrying republican frat boys. Sorry to disappoint.

Fairness952 7 years, 6 months ago

For those of us who love the poetry of Robert Frost, this was a sad story, yes. But don't judge Vermont on the basis of this incident. It's a beautiful, mostly rural state with good people, and its annual tradition of town hall democracy is truly amazing in this day and age. I've been to the Homer Noble Farm several times, and it's a unique piece of America's literary history. I'm happy to report that the owner, Middlebury College, is already planning to fully restore the house and turn it into a writer-in-residence facility for the nearby Bread Loaf Writers School. If you want to respond positively to this random act of vandalism, make a contribution to Middlebury for this purpose.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 6 months ago

Mending Wall

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it, And spills the upper boulders in the sun; And makes gaps even two can pass abreast. The work of hunters is another thing: I have come after them and made repair Where they have left not one stone on a stone, But they would have the rabbit out of hiding, To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean, No one has seen them made or heard them made, But at spring mending-time we find them there. I let my neighbour know beyond the hill; And on a day we meet to walk the line And set the wall between us once again. We keep the wall between us as we go. To each the boulders that have fallen to each.

• by Robert Frost (1915)

hawklet21 7 years, 6 months ago

Even ignoring the fact that it was Robert Frost's home, it is still an awful and stupid crime. Why do people have to trash and get trashed to have fun?

Ronda Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

Bored youth - everyone makes mistakes. They probably were drunk on Frost's poetry at the time. It always sends me over the edge - tis a good thing, Not the trashing, but the poetry!

Rabbitgoesthump 7 years, 6 months ago

So was this someones current home or how did they get in to trash it.

If no one lives there and its such a important home, why was there no security to keep people out.

workinghard 7 years, 6 months ago

That's probably the defense they will use to get off. The boys that stole from me got off because I never told them not to steal from me. Go figure.