Archive for Thursday, January 17, 2008

Accident closes eastbound lanes of turnpike

At least five vehicles involved

January 17, 2008, 5:11 p.m. Updated January 17, 2008, 5:23 p.m.

A five-vehicle accident has caused one of the eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 to close beginning at mile marker 204, just east of the East Lawrence interchange.

The Kansas Turnpike Authority has not yet arrived on scene. Lawrence Fire and Medical crews are on scene. There are reportedly at least five extrications. There are reportedly two people in good condition and two who suffered minor injuries.

Both lanes were closed for about 30 minutes. Officers reopened the passing late about 5:20 p.m.

Comments

RKLOG 6 years, 11 months ago

I could not BELIEVE how badly and dangerous the semi drivers were driving last night. A paycheck ain't worth drying (or killing) for fellas. Wasn't there an old saying that truck drivers were the safest drivers out there?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 11 months ago

well I better call my sister in law soon and see if she made it safe and sound to kc

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 11 months ago

oh and in general they are safe drivers RKLOG but like any other drivers some just don't use brains.

Loomer 6 years, 11 months ago

this happened right behind me. the first bridge going east off the east entrance was slushy icy. a car in front of me had spun out of control luckily missing barricade. they ended up on the south side below the turnpike. a car behind spun right then left, going toward barricade. a truck behind tried to avoid by going left but ended up t boning the car that had spun. looked like pile up behind them. this bridge was slick for some reason. no other bridges were. i feel lucky not to have been involved.

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 11 months ago

Loomer- when I headed east at about 1pm that first bridge was terrible. It looked like a big truck had dumped a load of snirt (snow + dirt) all over it, or like someone had dragged it from the edges. I was surprised too- the rest of the way into KC was fine, just a little damp in spots.

Glad to see you weren't in the midst of the excitement.