Archive for Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Snow advisory in effect; roads getting more hazardous

January 16, 2008

Roads crews have begun to treat roads for possible snow accumulation, but the Kansas Department of Transportation still cautions drivers to travel with caution because of hazardous conditions.

Most of the roadways in northeast Kansas are anywhere from wet and slushy to partly snowpacked on the road surface, according to KDOT. The department stated visibility is limited in many areas, so driving conditions are becoming hazardous.

Accumulation up to 4 inches is expected by midnight with wind gusts up to 35 mph. The National Weather Service issued a snow advisory that is in effect until 6 a.m. Thursday. A hazardous weather advisory was also issued for the evening due to strong winds.

KDOT also encourages drivers to allow extra time when traveling and to have a flashlight, food and water in the vehicle in case of an emergency.

Current road conditions are available by calling 511 or visiting http://511.ksdot.org.

Comments

compmd 6 years, 11 months ago

"Snow advisory in effect; drivers getting more hazardous."

There, LJW. Fixed that for you.

ukillaJJ 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank the city of Lawrence for forgetting to do their pre-salting and pre-sanding (AGAIN!)

booze_buds_03 6 years, 11 months ago

There was enough sand leftover on the streets from the last storm to keep the roads covered for years.

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

Anyone know about the conditions on I-35? My husband will be traveling down it coming home from Olathe to Ottawa between 9-10 tonight.

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

Good to hear, they usually are good about keeping the major highways safe.

compmd 6 years, 11 months ago

right_thinker, that's awesome. You made my night. :)

Gretchen, I don't know about Olathe to Ottawa, but yesterday afternoon I saw KTA trucks on I-35 down to Wichita putting down anti-ice fluid.

hottruckinmama 6 years, 11 months ago

GretchenJP...Tell him to watch out between Wellsville and Le Loup. I don't live to far off the Le Loup exit and I heard sirens go by on the interstate about 1/2 hour ago.

Right_thinker LOL. I bet you're a sight with those billy bob teeth.

jaci 6 years, 11 months ago

I saw a city truck putting sand on my street at lunchtime.

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll be happy when he's home safe and sound!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

I have my can of spam, maple syrup...recipe anyone? on the spam can is a recipe for toasted something, scrambled eggs spam, etc. yuck. anybody have any cold weather hints that involve spam cans? let it snow! let it snow! let it snow! I got my spam to keep me warm. and, well charged batteries too.

Gretch, let us know if your main squeeze makes it through the weather home safe.

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

bearded_gnome:

The hubby is safe and sound.

Tammy Yergey 6 years, 11 months ago

The Sheriff's dept. had Highway 40 right outside of town blocked off about 7:30pm last night. Does anyone know what happened? I can't find anything in the paper about it...

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

very good Gretch. glad he's okay. well, py, perhaps I could deploy the spam as a burnt offering to the God of the old testament?