Archive for Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sebelius to deliver Democrats’ response to Bush speech

January 15, 2008

Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius has been selected to deliver the Democrats' official response to President Bush's State of the Union address on Jan. 28.

Comments

staff04 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, she's proven she knows more about math than him, what with balancing the state's budget and all...

Tony Kisner 6 years, 9 months ago

Nice reward for saying no to new power plants. All politics is local until you run into term limits.

tolawdjk 6 years, 9 months ago

Intruiging.

Face time for a Gov from a state that gets little face time, and during campaign season. Makes one if the DNC is tapping her as a potential VP option.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 9 months ago

Presidency...No.

Senate or Sec. of State? Maybe

BigPrune 6 years, 9 months ago

TheRob 6 years, 9 months ago

If the Democrats win the White House, they could nominate Sebelius for a lower cabinet post, like Agriculture or Transportation. I can't see her as a VP candidate, even though she would be a neutral choice. I don't think she has enough influence to help a candidate.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 9 months ago

Why leave two years early to for a lower cabinet post? I am hoping she takes Brownback's Senate seat in 2010.

clyde_never_barks 6 years, 9 months ago

Rob -

Apparently you are uniformed. She travels this nation raising millions of dollars for the Democrat Party and its candidates. She is the darling of the party. Simply elevating her to that status gives her influence.

purplesage 6 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable. It is the Democrats - but how on earth? It could have been worse, maybe. Boyda?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 9 months ago

demonstrates how vapid the entire democrat party is these days. will she bitch and moan about the national guard shortage...that was contributed to by the policies and legislative actions of her fellow demonrats? refuse the coal power plants based on CO2...makes each of us breathing humans A POLLUTER! no authority in legislation to regulate CO2, state or national, complete falsehood.

BigDog 6 years, 9 months ago

staff04 (Anonymous) says:

Well, she's proven she knows more about math than him, what with balancing the state's budget and all:

Not a major accomplishment for any Kansas Governor since a balanced budget is a requirement of the Kansas Constitution. Every Governor's budget is balanced.

beatrice 6 years, 9 months ago

Bearded-gnome, I wish you could meet my father. He is a man in his 80s, who lived through the Depression and then actually went and fought Nazi's in Euorpe during WWII. He worked hard his entire life (blue-collar type work), has been married to one woman for 60 years, and has been a Mason and Shriner for many, many years, helping to raise money for charities, particularly children's burn hospitals. He is retired now, and enjoys catching the occassional ball game on television and doing different types of volunteer work.

He is also a Democrat.

I'm sure you would love to meet him, just so you could call him a "demonrat" to his face. I'll bet it would make you feel very proud of yourself.

It simply amazes me the level of hate some have for their fellow Americans.

Hopefully, Sebelius will make Kansas proud and will help shed a good light on the state, whether you agree with her views or not.

clyde_never_barks 6 years, 9 months ago

its_getting_warmer (Anonymous) says:

"...she will be a talking head. script furnished by DNC."

I hope so, because I can't find anyone who can make anything of what she said in her own state of the state address Monday evening.

No new information that we didn't already know, or did not expect - pathetic. Good thing the KU game was on immediately after.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 9 months ago

Considering the uneducated goof ball republicans that run this state I'd say Kansas needs all the help it can get.

Wasn't it repub Derek Schmidt that said today that global warming was an international problem not a state problem? Apparently he does not realize that Kansas is part of the international pie.

average 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't see Sebelius as a VP. For whom? Obama would pick someone with some foreign or military chops (two things he's weakest on). Say, Richardson or William Cohen. Senator Clinton? Hard to say (I'd guess Joe Lieberman or Wesley Clark), but I can't see what Sebelius brings to the table. If the Dems pick Clinton, they've already written the Plains States off, Sebelius or no.

I assume she'll run for Brownback's seat in 2010. I wish her luck, and wish her an unpalatable opponent (come on down, Phill Kline or Kris Kobach). If she loses that, and the Dems are in the White House, she'll get whatever spot (HHS, Interior, EPA?) needs a placeholder.

RightofRight 6 years, 9 months ago

Thats about right, Republicans run this State. Sebelius is nothing more than a figurehead. A typical "tax it if it walks,talks,eats,breathes,or dies" Democrat. I do admit she will make Kansas look a little better than the Phelps clan has. She does need to rethink her math though. A 50 cent tax on a pack of cigarettes means less smokers = less revenue in the long run. A low tax on cigarettes = more people comming from neighboring states to buy cheaper cigarettes, leading to higher sales on other products = gas, food, entertainment.........