Archive for Tuesday, January 15, 2008

6News video: KU to celebrate Orange Bowl win

Allen Fieldhouse site of event

January 15, 2008

Kansas athletics officials have scheduled a free public event to celebrate the football team's Orange Bowl victory.

The celebration is set for 7:30 p.m. Feb. 23 at Allen Fieldhouse, said Jim Marchiony, a KU associate athletic director.

The event is the football awards presentation.

Marchiony said the department still was working out the details but added that the venue would allow thousands of fans to celebrate the team's achievements.

"We wanted to make sure that as many people as possible could attend," he said.

The Jayhawks finished at 12-1 and defeated Virginia Tech 24-21 on Jan. 3 in Miami.

"Our coaches and players worked extremely hard this season, and together we accomplished many great things," KU coach Mark Mangino said. "Our fans were also terrific throughout the year, and we wanted to have a celebration in a venue that could hold as many of those fans as possible. We're all looking forward to a great evening."

Marchiony said the cold weather influenced trying to plan a parade.

"It's wintertime. Having it indoors in the winter seemed to make a whole lot more sense," he said.

The KU men's basketball team plays Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. that day in Stillwater, Okla.

Comments

hawklet21 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree. 16,000 seats? That is a fraction of Lawrence, not to mention the students who will be back, and all of the surrounding communities who support the Hawks. I wanna paraaaaaade! Waaaaaaaaaaaah!!

JobbyJobless 6 years, 11 months ago

it's really incredible how some people find a way to complain about everything

what's that noise i hear? oh it must be the waaaaaaaaaaambulance

nobody1793 6 years, 11 months ago

What Lawrence parade has ever had 16,000 people, let alone 40,000 show up? Packing the fieldhouse is a fine idea.

If you really want a prade, lets organize a parade through downtown Columbia this saturday and really stick it to those non-BCS playin' jerks.

oldalum 6 years, 11 months ago

How could they present the football awards in the middle of a parade?

ToriFreak13 6 years, 11 months ago

"We wanted to make sure that as many people as possible could attend," So a few thousand first come, first served get to experience this.....instead of the whole town in a parade format. Missouri shut Columbia down and partied all day downtown when they beat Kansas ending their consecutive wins at home streak (in basketball). So much for giving kids and their families an up close and personal THANK YOU for supporting KU athletics....bah.

just_another_ninja 6 years, 11 months ago

Greeaaaat. It's gonna suck trying to get tickets for this. A sport that's shown well over 40k in attendance all season long and now they put perhaps the largest celebration event in KU Football history in a place that seats 16k. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice gesture... really it is... but it's gonna be a CF.

yellowdot 6 years, 11 months ago

I have never seen the need to respond before but this time I feel I need to. So its winter what about the Christmas parade every year and the great turn out for that. Come on and give this town a chance to show the team how proud we all are of them. I am 62 years old and I never miss a parade in Lawrence but I have never been to any KU games because I can't afford them, so my joy is watching them on tv ever time they are on.Please do something we all can be a part of, and don't worry that it will hurt the St. Patricks parade, those people will go to both.

just_another_ninja 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't usually complain, but the more I look at this the more I don't like the sound of it. Rain, snow, sleet, or hail, I go to a parade with this sort of cause behind it. I guess you could say it's in my blood.

Place this on the streets of Lawrence and invite everyone. You don't limit something like this. Everyone here is seasoned and knows what the Winter brings. Don't treat us as if we're all too incompetent to attend a parade during the winter months.

Think about the future and creating traditions. You know... if the KU Football program continues their annual bowl appearances and wins... how does Allen Fieldhouse even fit into the picture? Unless you plan on making a pretty penny off it.... hmm.... yeah, that's lame.

Kylee Manahan 6 years, 11 months ago

You know I've got to say that isn't really going to be fair. I assisted a 14 year old boy to every home football game this year. He has been so excited about the celebration and now he probably won't be able to get in. He has MD and doesn't have alot of time left and to cheat him out of this just doesn't seem right. I would do anything to get him to be a part of the celebration but standing in line for a day is not something I can do since I have to work.