Archive for Monday, January 7, 2008

US ranks near bottom in individual privacy

January 7, 2008

Individual privacy is under threat around the world as governments continue introducing surveillance and information-gathering measures, according to an international rights group.

Although privacy was improving in the former communist states of eastern Europe, it is worsening across Western Europe, the report said. Concerns about terrorism, immigration and border security were driving the spread of identity and fingerprinting systems, according to the report.

Greece, Romania and Canada had the best records of 47 countries Privacy International surveyed.

Malaysia, Russia and China ranked worst, but Great Britain and the United States also fell into the lowest-performing group of "endemic surveillance societies."

The survey considered such factors as legal protections, enforcement, data sharing, the use of biometrics and prevalence of closed-circuit cameras.

Comments

freeordie 7 years, 6 months ago

When I get scared enough to give up my freedom right stinker, I'll let you know. Sept. 1? What happened then? A@@. I am a FAAAAR right Bush hater. You aren't even close to my far rightness-while you're letting this dictatorship take away your privacy and the civil rights in this country and stick plasitc flags on your NASCAR I'm cleaning my guns. Fact: chicken sh#$ neocons think smarmy christian, spendthrift, fearmongering, big brother government is right wing. Go adjust the spotlight on your meaningless flag symbol while I worry about my freedom. A@@.

freeordie 7 years, 6 months ago

"Patriot Act." That always cracks me up.

freeordie 7 years, 6 months ago

They had better get cameras inside our houses too, cause, terrorists could hide there you know.

salad 7 years, 6 months ago

"So take a hikemove to Iran or N. Korea if you have a problem."

Ah yes, the eternal cry of the right wing ignoramous. Unfortunately, you can't just "move" somewhere else. You can't even move to Canada if you want. These countries have imigration laws just like we do. I'd prefer to make this country a better place to live, since I pretty much can't leave. R_T, on the other hand is supposed to leave: I thought you were gonna join up and fight the terrorists over there so we don't have to fight em here? What gives? Why don't you support dear leaders mission? Why don't you go help support the troops?

salad 7 years, 6 months ago

"Ya'll W haters will lose your homes and cars and eveything else due to green freaks and Al Gore's nonsense long before guys in big black cars and dark sunglasses come scoop you up"

Session notes: 1/7/08 08:31 hours: Patient continues to demonstrate dilusional fantasies about alleged left-wing conspiracies. Recommend increase in doseage of Lithium and possibly adding Prozac. Patient should receive constant adult supervision. Ask nurse to monitor bulging vein on patients forehead.

Logan5 7 years, 6 months ago

Why mess around. The patient has gone critical. Let's schedule an immediate frontal lobotomy followed up by an agressive regimen of electro-shock therapy.

BrianR 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow, RT, that 07:33 post just makes you appear....undermedicated.

Try coffee.

Tom McCune 7 years, 6 months ago

There is no "by line" or credited source on this article. Maybe the author is worried about being identified and tracked. Maybe he is just worried that it criticizes the current Theopublicon regime. DS, is that you?

George_Braziller 7 years, 6 months ago

For something that is fascinating and frightening at the same time go to Google, choose "Maps" and "Street View" to get an idea of how much surveilance is already in place. Just about every street in San Francisco is covered by a camera and the images are so clear you can zoom in and read license plate numbers.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 6 months ago

Since BUSHCO dropped the ball on 9/11/01 and invaded Iraq american civil liberties have been attacked by our own president... our own in house terrorist.

Bushco War is a waste of money and lives. It has nothing to do with democracy. Since Bush dropped the ball on 9/11/01 and again by invading Iraq Al Qaeda has become more substantial than ever at it's home base in Pakistan so the presidental candidates say. Bin Laden more glorified than ever in Pakistan.

Bring the troops home and let the mideast deal with al Qaeda if after all they support the group. Bush gave Pakistan $11 billion to fight Al Qaeda:.instead Al Qaeda has somehow become stronger. Is the president a fool?

All of this loss of civil liberties over countries that did not and could not attack the USA. The USA imposed "no fly zone" was preventing any type of attack from the mideast.

Tom McCune 7 years, 6 months ago

George:

I happen to be in San Francisco right now working on a consulting project. I tried what you suggested. I can't even discern the make and model of vehicles let alone license numbers. But I can tell with absolute certainty that the images displayed were flown on February 27, 2004 (almost 4 years ago). Big brother may be watching, but he's getting old news if he's going to Google Maps!

fu7il3 7 years, 6 months ago

If big brother uses google, we are all in trouble. Maybe we can get him to use ask.com. Then we would be safe.

nekansan 7 years, 6 months ago

Quality journalism here! What the heck is the source of this story and the statistics within it? Who is the group? Are they even credible? How was the data collected and tabulated?