Archive for Thursday, February 28, 2008

5-year-old who was shot remains on life support

February 28, 2008

Gunshot victim remains in intensive care

The Linwood girl who was shot in the head Saturday remained in intensive care on Wednesday night at Children's Mercy Hospital. Enlarge video

A Linwood area girl who was shot in the head Saturday remains at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City.

With her parents constantly by her side, 5-year-old Katherine Cook remains on life support, receiving food through a feeding tube in her mouth.

"Both of them are in the room," said Katherine's grandmother Pat Cook. "They don't want to leave her alone."

Katherine was playing on the patio of her home when a bullet from an unknown source struck her in the head.

On Monday, Katherine showed some signs of brain activity by moving her leg. Today her grandmother said, "She is slowly improving. She's lifting her arm and her leg."

Doctors have not removed the bullet in the girl's head, but there has not been any new bleeding, her grandmother said.

Cook also said Katherine's six brothers and sisters, "go in and see her every day."

Earlier this week, Leavenworth County authorities canvassed the surrounding neighborhood, asking motorists whether they had seen anything Saturday afternoon.

"They'll resume checks probably Saturday around the time of the incident," said Leavenworth County Sheriff Dave Zoellner.

Meanwhile, Katherine's family remains at the Ronald McDonald House near the hospital.

"We're amazed and feel so blessed for all the prayers," said Cook. "We're just thrilled about any little progress that she is making."

6News intern Cory Smith can be reached at 832-6335.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Just a post to keep this going.. Please, donate.

It costs a fortune out of pocket to have a child in a hospital away from town.

Cookiefriend 6 years, 1 month ago

you know, I was thinking, maybe someone could put up a donation can at grocery stores for the family, then that money could be placed in the trust fund. There are pictures on line of her that could be downloaded. Even if there were flyers placed at a few locations with her name on it and a request for prayers and donations to labettebank.com or commercialbank.net into the Katherine Cook Trust fund. This would help the family so much. My niece in South Dakota is working with her friends to get a fund raiser going for Katherine. My kids are planning something up here in Minnesota. Its amazing to me that people all over the country who have never even met her are praying and wanting to help. California, New Mexico, Nevada, Kentucky, Indiana, Utah, South Dakota, Minnesota. When they hear the story they want to help.

rammy 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for the information.

I wish i could do something to help her.

Cookiefriend 6 years, 1 month ago

Yesterday, Thursday, there were set backs. Katherine has developed a fever. There is swelling at the brain stem. A devise was put in to help reduce the swelling. Kahterine also seemed more agitated.
I remember how Katherine would go from family to family at church. We were one big family and it seemed like Katherine belonged to all of us. When she was little she called herself Daffrin Dook. Always had a big smile. always very chatty, always had a song in her voice.
Please pray for the Cook Family. Please pray for Katherine, and For God's will.
Thank you for all of the prayers and support. I am grateful to see the out pouring of love and support from everyone. thank you

davidmm 6 years, 1 month ago

Is it really possible to accidentally get shot in the head? This really worries me. Even with hunters and trees... I just can't see how that can be.

rachelp2005 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi "Cookie" :D I also appreciate all the support of people on this posting! i know that all of us in Parsons and Oswego do as well. Katherine is such a sweet girl. When she was younger, at church she would go from family to family and sit with the different families, which helped her mom out alot, (especially when her younger sister came along!) She loves to hear scripture stories, she's such a bright young girl! She brings a smile to my face just thinking about her. I hope and pray that she's going to make it through this battle! She's not alone!!! There is also a phone number that you can call that, with the family's permission, has been set up on an answering machine to give updates on Katherine. That number is 620-421-2932. (It is also posted on www.koamtv.com under the news story about Katherine)

momof4girls 6 years, 1 month ago

When I heard what happened I nearly hit the floor, I have three girls and one more on the way and my husband is a hunter, a very responsible one, and he takes our girls out and practices with them shooting and teaching them to be safe. We live in Linwood and he has permission to do this on private land, but who knows if someone could be out there shooting who isnt suppose to be there when my family is out there, that could of easily been one of my girls, my girls and I pray for her every day, and I hope that who ever did this comes forward. I don't know how someone could not, if they knew that they did that to a innocent child.

offtotheright 6 years, 1 month ago

Some miracle will become of this. It really has to.

ksmax 6 years, 1 month ago

My heart aches for her and her family. I wish her a full and speedy recovery. Please lord watch over her! I hope that who ever did this is found.

rammy 6 years, 1 month ago

Cookie, please keep us updated of her condition.

Please, let the family know that people in Lawrence are thinking about them and praying for them.

Cookiefriend 6 years, 1 month ago

thank you for your comments, I hope your child is okay now, and thank you for the insight on the PICU, it gives me another specific thing to pray about ... I feel so helpless at times and prayer is something I CAN do thank you!! PRAY HARD, EVERYONE

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 1 month ago

Children's Mercy PICU has NO room for extras. There's usually one chair, maybe two. But no shelves for things, mom's purse usually ends up on the floor. The "rooms" are glass enclosures, with curtains in front. It's meant to have emergency care needs right there when they need them. If you're in PICU, there's no sleeping bench for parents like in the regular room. PICU is high care, with a nurse usually only having two patients to monitor and treat. The whole thing is a sitting-on-edge existenance. not made for comfort. No balloons, etc. And the parent better know what they are doing, I've had to argue with multiple people, knowing they were basing a patient's improvement on a faulty apparatus. After about 4 hours (dealing with internal bleeding) of arguing, I finally found a way to prove, visually my point, and then the staff (not just nurses, I'm talking the dr in charge, a resident and several picu nurses) then they realized the mom DID know what she was talking about, and they ordered a new apparatus. Thank goodness he didn't bleed to death. (They had given him 4+ units of blood already, more than some GSWs get.) This family needs gas money, money for vending machines and the cafeteria. Having a child there costs the family money in out of pocket expenses. Plus, the family at home will use more fast food, etc, cause mom's at the hospital. SO PLEASE, send them donations. There are days that you can't leave the child's side, but eat out of the snack and pop vending machines in the hall, so you can get back to the room fast.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 1 month ago

~prayers~

and Cookiefriend... you have brought grace to this place... thank you...

Cookiefriend 6 years, 1 month ago

I just looked back at some of the comments from yesterday - hi Rachel- we are apart of the church family too, we recently moved up north to MN. We had this family in our home regularly for "movie night". My son is best friends with their oldest. My heart is aching that I cant be with the family right now, and that I was not able to attend the prayer meeting in Parsons.
to the person who commented on the family owning guns.. they had not moved into the home yet, it is under construction, Dad does own guns and was looking forward to having the property to teach his children gun safety and hunting safety. the guns were not at the house. Mom and Dad were working on the house, siblings were playing close by in their own yard. I personally don't like guns, I was raised around them, and around very safe gun users. I am grateful that we live in a free country that allows people to choose - this is tragic - I have cried so much, I imagine this tragedy will change everything for them now. BUT, I think it is important that we think positive and pray for Katherine, calling each other names or criticizing each other does not accomplish anything. There is a family who is suffering right now, this is the nicest family and the sweetest little girl you could ever know.
I hope that puggy didn't mean to sound as harsh as it came off.
I hope that some how we can forgive the person who did this, that the person can come forward and we can all begin to heal.
I hope and pray that our Savior's healing powers can see us all through this. I am moved by the love and prayers from everyone one.. Please Pray for Katherine!!

Windlass 6 years, 1 month ago

Puggy - turn yourself in. Anybody as depraved as you are knows something. Turn yourself into me. It'll be the last thing you ever do.

Cookiefriend 6 years, 1 month ago

I am a friend of the family, They are the nicest people you could ever hope to know.. the children are kind and loving. The parents are wonderful people. Please pray for them. They have asked that people not send flowers as they can not be accepted into the Pediatric ICU. there is a "Katherine Cook trust fund" set up at both labettebank.com and commercialbank.net.

This was going to be their "dream home" they were going to move up in the spring. Their Children were each going to have their own bedroom. Now the children are afraid of playing outside.

Please, whoever did this, turn yourself in. OR If you know any thing about this, please talk to the police. I can only imagine that you must be in agony if you did this (If you are a feeling person)... healing will begin if you turn yourself in. The children need to know that they can be safe again.

again... EVERYONE PLEASE PRAY FOR THE COOK FAMILY!

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

For the rest, I think the point is that such a comment on most of the blogs about college shootings etc. would lead to huzzah's and relatively little dissaproval. Which begs the question of why the inconsistency.

Or I misinterpreted, and puggy actually is an idiot. I'll admit the possibility.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

Puggy: Your attempt at satirical commentary has clearly failed. Your technique appears to need further honing before you make another attempt.

For one thing, I'd recommend not starting on threads about 5 year old shooting victims on life-support. The response isn't going to be very good.

domino 6 years, 1 month ago

Thanks rammy - I was trying to find a way to express my thoughts but they would have been removed!

rammy 6 years, 1 month ago

You are an idiot Puggy.

Not the article for your attempts at comedy.

scenebooster 6 years, 1 month ago

Thoughts, prayers and love to this little girl.

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 1 month ago

You know, this would not have happened if Katherine had concealed and carried. Bullets for bullets, yay NRA!

rammy 6 years, 1 month ago

Hold on Katherine!!

Prayers are with you.

spywell 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, if this was a hunter shooting up into a tree with a 22, it could have been a mile or so away. I hope the little girls recovers. Sad and best wishes to the family.

The terrain looks real hilly from the video, the bullet must of fell on her from somewhere.