Archive for Wednesday, February 20, 2008

House sends bill opposing Lawrence’s domestic registry back to committee

February 20, 2008

— The Kansas House today sent back to committee a bill that would repeal Lawrence's domestic partnership registry.

Opponents of the bill sought to place it in committee, saying it required further study.

State Rep. Paul Davis, D-Lawrence, said there were many legal issues surrounding the legislation that needed to be considered by the House Judiciary Committee.

Davis' motion to send it back to committee was approved 66-50.

Later, Kinzer said it was possible the bill will be approved by the Judiciary Committee in time to be debated again this session on the floor of the House.

The Lawrence City Commission established a domestic partnership registry last year at the request of gay and lesbian couples who said it could help them secure health insurance benefits for their partners.

The registry allows unmarried couples - both same-sex and heterosexual - to register their domestic partnerships at City Hall.

But Kinzer has said the registry violates a Kansas constitutional amendment that voters approved in 2005, recognizing marriage as only between one man and one woman.

A legal opinion by former Attorney General Paul Morrison said the registry doesn't violate the constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

Comments

gr 6 years, 1 month ago

"I double-doggy-dare anyone" (Actually, several have been presented, but you didn't like it)

But the real question is, How can I sign up to get free health insurance for Lassie?

Paul R Getto 6 years, 1 month ago

Another nonissue killed in the crib; good move; now let's worry about the economy and funding schools.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 1 month ago

More drivel? Enter Barclay: I don't have a brain but I does have a compooter, Yuck Yuck!

Mike Blur 6 years, 1 month ago

Parkay:

I've been waiting to do this for awhile, and I hope you can catch this. I dedicated the following web page to you.

Free mp3's of the openly gay band Pansy Division. I've worked a couple shows as their security, and as people they are genuine and funny. Much more personable than you could ever possibly be.

You might start with their hit "You Make Me Hot" and then move on to mega-hits like "He Whipped my Ass in Tennis..."

You don't want to listen to all the mp3's on that page parkay. Shoot, you might get turned on a little bit!

Barclay 6 years, 1 month ago

Thank goodness! Understandably, this will make a very vocal minority in Lawrence extremely angry. How disappointing that our new city commissioners tripped through this when they voted. In the first place, at least two of them were elected by a constituency that assumed they would not support the domestic registry. Sad that the state has to come and rescue the city from this short-sighted and poorly designed ordinance, but I am glad there are still legislators that have the sound reasoning to see Lawrence has inacted an ill-advised ordinance and perhaps violated state law.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 1 month ago

"If Kansas had decent law enforcement, the unconstitutional Lawrence sodomite registry would already be shut down, and we wouldn't need to be fooling with this bill." Said Parkay.

But Parkay, your God incarnate PHILL CLINE wrote a 17 page decision that said that domestic partner registries did not violate the constitution. In addition, Paul Morrison also decided that it was constitutional as well. As far as it being a "sodomite registry"it is open to persons of all orientations. This has nothing to do with sex except in your dirty small mind.

kansasequalitycoalition.org

ontheotherhand 6 years, 1 month ago

parkay (Anonymous) says: If Kansas had decent law enforcement, the unconstitutional Lawrence sodomite registry would already be shut down, and we wouldn't need to be fooling with this bill.

====

Again, as I stated in an earlier post, here is yet another example of what's wrong with our Nation: stupid, empty soundbites written by people with money to purchase computers but not enough brains to think. Parkay, I am glad that you spewed your ignorance; it once again reminds me that we are in a free society (and that you are exercising your free right to be an idiot). Now please do us a favor and sell your computer before we have to suffer through your superficial drivel once more. God, I hope you don't have kids . . . .

mr_economy 6 years, 1 month ago

There's already a definition for "Kinzer" on UrbanDictionary, who wants to spice it up a bit?

solsken66 6 years, 1 month ago

Next item. Unwed mothers will have ninety days to wed the father of their child or face criminal charges for having sex before marriage. Common law marriages are not recognized due to not getting a marriage license first. Divorce will not be recognized by the state. Sex is only allowed in the missionary position...all other sexual acts strictly forbidden. The marriage must be consummated before the eyes of witnesses.

logicsound04 6 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps we should do the same thing with Kinzer...

Let's make "milking the prostate" = Kinzer.

In a sentence:

I went to a fertility doctor and had to provide a sample, but was unable to perform, so the nurse kinzered me until I provided the sample.

....counting down the seconds until this post is removed....

logicsound04 6 years, 1 month ago

Santorum brought the bucket of santorum--so to speak--upon his own head.

Word to the wise: don't piss off a sex columnist.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 1 month ago

oh

At the risk of having the post removed, I will refer those of you unfamiliar with the use of the word "Santorum" in this sense to a place at which you will find the defintion as used.

Just go to Google.

Search: "Savage Love + Santorum".

Don't blame me; I didn't do it and think that it is funnier'n Hades and Rick Santorum deserves it as far as I am concerned!

Marion Lynn 6 years, 1 month ago

grimpur said "santorum"

heh, heh

DaREEKKU 6 years, 1 month ago

SMOKESCREEN SMOKESCREEN, SO THE TRUTH CANNOT BE SEEN!

Like I said earlier....when the Republicans want to cover something up....they use THE EVIL HOMA-SEX'L. OH those EVIL GAYS and their DREADFUL decorating ideas! I heard they did a drive by waxing....RIGHT HERE in our neighborhood GASP!!!!

americorps 6 years, 1 month ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are such a fruitcake, you make me laugh..a clown and a fool.

EXks 6 years, 1 month ago

"Thank you to any legislator fighting to protect traditional marriage in Kansas."

>>>STRS

Next up, outlawing...... D-I-V-O-R-C-E, afterall lets go all the waaaaaaaaaay in fighting to protect traditional marriage!!

GIHAWK 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey Kinzer, Its none of your ga dam business what we do in Lawrence.

jonas 6 years, 1 month ago

"unconstitutional Lawrence sodomite registry"

Heehee. Good stuff.

Ray Parker 6 years, 1 month ago

scenebooster 6 years, 1 month ago

"I double-doggy-dare anyone to provide one single example of how the registry threatens the institution of marriage, already besmirched and trampled by heteros' history of promiscuity, divorce, and plain old abuse."

Some of us have been asking for that example for many months...and shock and awe, none have been forthcoming.

Imagine that?

Michael Capra 6 years, 1 month ago

love western kansas, we just need a place to send this idiot kisner and what a better place than with rundle clogging his way across kansas

grimpeur 6 years, 1 month ago

Kinzer, kinzer, kinzer...you've got more nerve than sense. And it sounds like your "marriage" has plenty of problems of its own if you're threatened by the idea of committed partners, parents and taxpayers who deserve the benefit of acceptance and of de facto parenthood and family status.

Clearly, the same-sex couples I know and the families they provide for are far stronger and more secure in their family lives than Kinzer will ever be. I double-doggy-dare anyone to provide one single example of how the registry threatens the institution of marriage, already besmirched and trampled by heteros' history of promiscuity, divorce, and plain old abuse.

Alas for your god-forsaken soul, Lance Kinzer, you little santorum sniffer.

redfred 6 years, 1 month ago

458 - What do have against Western Kansas?

Michael Capra 6 years, 1 month ago

send kinzer to to western kansas with rundle AND THEY CAN CLOG ALL NIGHT LONG

Agnostick 6 years, 1 month ago

A lot of time, money, and energy could be saved if they stopped wasting time on individual bills... and just sent Lance Kinzer into his own little committee, and leave him there.

Don't stall the bill--stall Kinzer!

Jason Bowers-Chaika 6 years, 1 month ago

There are quotes both from Kinzer's idol Phill Cline and Paul Morrison supporting the Constitutionality of Lawrence's domestic partner registry. I was at the state house watching this go down. You all should have seen the right wing wacko's scurry around trying to come up with reason's to support this. I could see Kinzer's veins bulging from the gallery. Good Job Kansas Equality Coalition and thank you to the Representatives that opposed this and sent it back into committee. kansasequalitycoalition.org

logicsound04 6 years, 1 month ago

"sinedie (Anonymous) says:

I don't know what we would do without Lance Kinzer.

Oh right - things."

I'm still laughing out loud at this one. Great post sinedie!

It's just too bad they can't bury Kinzer in a committee, just like his retarded bill.

Mike Blur 6 years, 1 month ago

We need to draft legislation to deport KInzer to Missouri.

its_getting_warmer 6 years, 1 month ago

I like Lewis Black's line: That in terms of public policy issues to worry about, this one should rank right behind: "are we eating too much garlic as a people."

supercowbellninja 6 years, 1 month ago

Aren't there more important things to do than fight about this measure? If Kinzer wants to add this to his agenda, I'd love to see a study that shows the registry somehow eroded the moral fabric of the town. Last I checked, the town was still standing and we weren't all being subjected to The Rapture...

fletch 6 years, 1 month ago

So a city ordinance that never once mentions marriage, nor conveys and rights or privileges, is somehow devaluing other people's marriages? Wuh? How devalued is your marriage already, if this is somehow a threat.

Johnny: Susie, I'm home. I put in a long day at work. I hope there's a pot roast waiting for me in the oven. Susie: I'm sorry, Johnny, I'm leaving you. Johnny: But why? Aren't you happy sitting at home, making my dinner and cleaning the house? Susie: It's just... I don't feel like we have a marriage anymore. Johnny: How could that be? Did the evil liberal media trick you into having thoughts of you own? Susie: No, it's nothing like that. I just found out that gay people in Lawrence could sign a form to say they were living together. Ever since then, I just haven't felt like our marriage is worth anything? I'm leaving you, Johnny. Johnny: DAMN YOU LAWRENCE!!!!! I'LL GET YOU ONE DAY!!!!

Or at least, that's how it played out in my head. Then again, I had a lot of caffeine at lunch.

DaREEKKU 6 years, 1 month ago

If by good fight you mean a distraction to the fact that without hating people and preventing abortions Republicans have nothing to fly back to when they need a distraction....then yes.....by all means....keep fighting "the good fight."

My god.....how pathetic......

Defender 6 years, 1 month ago

"Keep fighting the good fight, Kinzer.'

And b3, you keep on keepin' on with your hate and ignorance. It suits you quite fine, idiot.

yankeelady 6 years, 1 month ago

At least he provides some entertainment. Between Kinzer and the good ol boys who are fighting to make things smooth for big coal, we get some interesting quotes. Beats substance. After all why expect them to do things like fund education, work on health care or environmental issues? It doesn't get anywhere near the press.

sinedie 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't know what we would do without Lance Kinzer.

Oh right - things.

b3 6 years, 1 month ago

Keep fighting the good fight, Kinzer.

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

"But Kinzer also says that rules affecting couples and families should be uniform throughout the state."

If that is so, then there shouldn't be a marriage amendment.

scenebooster 6 years, 1 month ago

"But the bill's author, state Rep. Lance Kinzer, R-Olathe, said referring the bill back to the Judiciary Committee was a stall tactic to try to kill the measure."

No kidding, Lance.

Crawl back to your hole in Olathe.