Archive for Wednesday, February 20, 2008

House considering challenge to Lawrence’s domestic partnership registry

February 20, 2008

— A bill to repeal Lawrence's domestic partnership registry may be debated today in the Kansas House.

House Bill 2299 has been placed "above the line," which means it is set for possible consideration, although House leaders could skip over the bill or postpone discussion on it.

The House convenes at 11 a.m.

The measure by state Rep. Lance Kinzer, R-Olathe, was discussed this morning by the House Republican Party caucus during a review of bills.

The Lawrence City Commission established a domestic partnership registry last year at the request of gay and lesbian couples who said it could help them secure health insurance benefits for their partners.

The registry allows unmarried couples - both same-sex and heterosexual - to register their domestic partnerships at City Hall.

He also says that rules affecting couples and families should be uniform throughout the state. A legal opinion by former Attorney General Paul Morrison said the registry doesn't violate the constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

During the 2007 legislative session, a House committee approved Kinzer's bill, but it never received a vote before the full House.

Comments

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

It took you eleven minutes to come up with that little witticism.Wow.

JLoh21 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh yeah. I remember now. A domestic partnership is how you get Aids and then blame it on Bush.

JLoh21 6 years, 2 months ago

What the F#$&$&@&$ is a domestic partnership?

Is it anything like a holiday tree?

Only a lawrence or maybe a massachusetts/sf liberal could come up with a name like that.

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

Wow. That last line reads a little more gonadish than I had intended. Sorry.

americorps 6 years, 2 months ago

Once again the false Christian Supremicists defying the world of God to force faith on everyone using our state tax dollars for the unholy crusade.

They will burn in hell unless they repent.

Christianity is a choice and a gift, not a requirment and those that feel they need to force it on others disobey God and are evil sinful heathens.

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

ChristmasCarol:

What the hell are you talking about?

What options should be left open?

And I don't see what the civil commitment states offer to this issue. Our domestic registry is cheap. No legal fees required. SCOTUS is the Supreme Court of the United States. I have no idea what the sky is like.I am still at my desk. I have no idea what the New York rental rates, the fact that half the kids at Hillcrest attend ESL classes, or the pros and cons of a sin tax have to do with the domestic registry and Kinzer's actions today.

Ask your foreign national what he thinks about the EUs handling of domestic partnerships. Almost without exception, the countries of Europe are moving to where all state-recognized partnerships are civil commitments and marriages are handled by the church if at all. Makes sense to me.

In any event, hopefully you take my serious stuff seriously and my not-so-serious stuff not so seriously. On the other hand, I can't honestly say I care either way.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 2 months ago

I am sorry I forgot to add:

Don't you all at least think the option should be open?

Actually we also found that in another state that the legal fee for registering can be astronomical.

Speaking of astronomical, can you see the sky tonight. I am so ashamed as it is cloudy here now and will be for the luny eclipse.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 2 months ago

I live in Brooklyn now, Baille and I have found or should I say that my employer found as being a foreign national living in the United States that it is more feasible to be a domestic partner in the United States as opposed to being married especially including the expense until he found that under New York Law he would have to file jointly in the city as well as federally and state wide for income tax benefits based on the fact that they live together and considering the rent in NY.

Now consider that there are also states where the sole exise is income such as Oregon where there is no sales and the other is property.

What do we do in Kansas? Maybe we should raise tax money on luxury or sin taxes like allowing the gambling industry.

I do not know what my point is but my employer is heterosexual as well and his wife is a doctor and he a lecturer.

Lawrence does have a foreign population and I do have kids that still live there...

Sorry I do have a hard time taking your stuff seriously sometimes.

Scott us? No, uh... Beavis and Butthead did do a segment on Haiku.

akt2 6 years, 2 months ago

DPOA. Durable Power of Attorney. Forget the list.

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

SCOTUS would be more likely to find that sexuality is a protected class like race and gender if sexuality was found to be an inherent characteristic rather than a preference.

estespark 6 years, 2 months ago

Al Franken's take on the sanctity of marriage is classic.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 2 months ago

IGW, are you illiterate?

Go read both the amendment and the opinion.

If you cannot read, as I suspect and merely have things read to you, go find your reader and get busy.

Moo:

I have no doubt that the legislature will succede in this measure, although I do not agree with it.

The only hope that anyone has in this whole thing is that the SCOTUS finds Fourteenth Amendment protection for what is termed "sexual preference" among consenting adults.

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

So ChristmasCarol is simultaneously praising the jackbooted thugs for limited the number and gender of her partners while also criticizing them for making her memorize numbers and forcing her to wear a seatbelt.

The cognitive dissonance is mind-numbing.

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 2 months ago

So what if your list is kept at City Hall? We're talking true passionate love aren't we? It shouldn't matter where you keep your list?

Keep your list somewhere else.

Issue resolved.

moo 6 years, 2 months ago

This thread has made my day. I've been losing my faith in Lawrence a little bit lately, but these comments make me feel much better. : )

Oh, and Marion, e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e knew that this would get challenged sooner rather than later. But yes, you deserve to celebrate. Break out the champagne, get in people's faces, chant "nanny nanny, boo boo" until our ears bleed. You have made a great prediction. You, like everyone else with half a brain, knew that the Kansas legislature would not take what it sees as a direct challenge to their power lying down. Duh. The question is whether they'll succeed and plunge Kansas deeper into the dark ages.

Everyone, since whatever Marion predicts eventually comes to pass, we'll all know who to blame if the registry does get shut down. Hehe.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 2 months ago

I have two other partners. Do I have to register with each one seperately or can we all fit one bill or ticket?

Is this also one more number I have to memorize in our daily drivel of a state to recite our numbers and does that come beforee or after our driver's licence when we are pulled over for not wearing our seat belt and not having a tail light that works?

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm for "hope" and "change".

The future is now and the past is past. Hope is what is needed!

Change hope and hope change. Change will be here in the present if hope is hoped for now.

Oprahma is the hope of change that will be here tommorrow.

Love is real if you hope for it!!

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 2 months ago

its_getting_warmer, you now I am really wondering where you would be that it is getting warmer? Please let me know as the teats are getting cold where I am.

its_getting_warmer 6 years, 2 months ago

Yea, Marion is full of hot air on this one again. He repeatedly and frequently predicted that the city registry would be held to be unconstitutional.

It has not. Nor will it be.

He is shameless in his attempts to fudge on his previous statements and predictions. If it were unconstitutional, there would be no need for a legislator to attempt to undo this.

scenebooster 6 years, 2 months ago

There's a "gay onslaught"?

And it's slippery?

Now I'm starting to see the danger here...

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

Common law marriage in Kansas is more than just living together.

And where does one buy assless chaps? Maybe Nuefeldt knows. I hear lots of people wear chaps out by the proposed coal plant site and oddly enough al of them seem to be assless.

solsken66 6 years, 2 months ago

When can Kansas officially be classified as a police state? Legislators are forgetting that they were elected by the people as a whole; not just the select few who have the ear of individual legislators.

plumberscrack 6 years, 2 months ago

SettingTheRecordStraight says:

Thank you to any legislator fighting to protect traditional marriage in Kansas. ++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh yes, by all means "protect traditional marriages in Kansas".......idiot.

Let's not worry about the economy, rising taxes, lack of funding for our schools or anything of that nature. Work on the important stuff like protecting marriage between a man and a woman. By the way, this is about unmarried men and women who live together but can't get insurance or be recognized as a spouse if the need should arise for information from hospitals.

State Rep. Lance Kinzer, R-Olathe obviously needs to be voted out of office at the earliest convenience.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

b3, I don't consider myself a "hippie" for thinking all people should have all rights.... it's called - human.

solsken66 6 years, 2 months ago

This seems to be a form of discrimination towards a certain group of people. Why are government officials getting so hot and bothered by this registry? Priorities, priorities... Kansas likes to be the focus of jokes from around the world.

sinedie 6 years, 2 months ago

Scenebooster:

From the gay onslaught! Duh. Do you realize that it's a slippery slope? Today we allow domestic registries, tomorrow we are required to wear assless chaps in public.

WHERE DOES IT END!?

ToriFreak13 6 years, 2 months ago

Paul Morrison's opinion vs. The Constitution? lol

scenebooster 6 years, 2 months ago

"Thank you to any legislator fighting to protect traditional marriage in Kansas."

Protect it from what?

Souki 6 years, 2 months ago

Now Marion says that, rather than reminding us of his prediction that the bill would be overturned, he was reminding us of his prediction that "legislation would be drafted to overturn it."

But that happened last year. Nothing about your prediction -- the substance of which was that the bill would be overturned, not that someone would try to overturn it -- has yet come to pass.

As I said before, your prediction may well come to pass, but it hasn't yet.

And I don't hate it when you're right. In fact, on the substance of this matter (whether the ordinance should be overturned, and more broadly, whether same-sex couples should have the same rights as mixed-sex couples), I think you are right. And I agree with you.

I'll dislike it if your prediction comes true, but not because it was your prediction.

b3 6 years, 2 months ago

If you hippies dont like living in kansas, than move out.

blue73harley 6 years, 2 months ago

its_getting_warmer - yep. Where I work is pretty liberal so they probably didn't "have" to do it. I did enjoy giving them crap about finally "coming out of the closet" for a couple of days ;-)

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 2 months ago

Uh, oh. Girlfriend is about to go off. Don't ever question his righteousness.

logicsound04 6 years, 2 months ago

"RonBurgandy (Anonymous) says:

This is ridiculous. This state's legislature is embarrassing."

Come on Ron. We all know you have something you really want to say to the Legislature.

Just check your teleprompter....

:-)

estespark 6 years, 2 months ago

Nothing says true love like registering a domestic partnership at City Hall.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 2 months ago

Souki, I also predicted that legislation would be drafted to overturn it and such legislation has indeed be drafted with the full assent of the Attorney General.

I know that you hate it when I'm right but I'm going to be so right in this that it will make you sick.

I don't like it but that is the way that it is.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 2 months ago

Redwood, trust me, I am not exonerating them. I am a devout Democrat but I know that other Democrats support anti-gay legislation. (This makes me very sad, btw!)

At the same time, I am not condemning Republicans. GW does not rep all Republicans. He represents something I truly hate, whether he is a Rep or Dem.

There are non-thinking Democrats and very smart Republicans. I guess my wording is confusing because I refuse to see things as either black or white, esp when they are not. :) When STRS makes the comments he does, it is clear to me that he has no ability to put forth a valid argument that makes sense. Notice how he makes soundbites, but never explains himself in a way that compels us to either agree, or simply agree to disagree. Mark my words: his next post will offer nothing but a stupid retort. We who view Life as more than superficial soundbites deserve more than that.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 2 months ago

This is ridiculous. This state's legislature is embarrassing.

Defender 6 years, 2 months ago

"So, what is the difference between you and the Islamic (and other) fundamentalists we all know and love?"

cg22165, I know this was just a rhetorical question, but I will answer anyway. There is no difference between STRS and Osama bin Laden, none. Both of them hate America and freedom, period.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

cg22165: here's a link to the definition of "hegemony." I think that is what you're trying to say in your post. There is a word for it, especially definition #2: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hegemony

Souki 6 years, 2 months ago

Marion says that it "will be recalled that I predicted that this very thing would happen."

You predicted that the registry would be overturned. It hasn't been overturned.

Your prediction could still come true, but it hasn't yet.

Chris Golledge 6 years, 2 months ago

STRS, so, what you are saying is that you support any legislator who presses your religious beliefs into government enforcement.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

OTOH: You exonerate Republicans and then proceed to condemn them ("King GW is their leader"). I guess I'm a little confused.

DaREEKKU 6 years, 2 months ago

What a great diversion from the coal plant mess! Congratulations Republicans, you've done it again! Let's not talk about how you royally are doing us over by allowing people to pillage our landscape....lets turn to....oh let's see....gay marriage! That's it! THE EVIL GAYS!

How sad and pathetic that people have to feel important by exercising power over a group of people for NO good reason at all.

Oh wait.....here are 10 Good Reasons why Gay Marriage should be Banned (reposted): 1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms, just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 2 months ago

You all have given some very interesting and thoughtful arguments today--very nice to hear this instead of gay-bashing!

As for the slam on Republicans, I must state that it is NOT just Republicans who support this. Jan Pauls is a Democrat and she is just as bad as Kinzer. The only difference between the two is that Kinzer is a smooth-talking idiot and Pauls is a buffoon and an idiot. Homophobia is not just a Republican problem!!

The best we can do is "listen" to what these legislators and people around us say and ask them to explain what they mean. If they give us a stupid, empty response, then challenge them!

For example, let's see if SettingTheRecordStraight even knows what "protecting traditional marriage" means? According to statistics (which he will refute because Rush Limbaugh did not tell him this!), it means that every 1 out of 2 marriages will result in a divorce. If this is what marriage has been reduced to, then how does homosexuality threaten your right to marry, get a divorce, marry again, get a divorce, marry again, get a divorce, marry again, get a divorce??????

Unfortunately, our Nation is being run by people who champion soundbites (King GW is their Leader) and bash thinking. STRS is a good spokesperson.

I hope you all are as sick of this crap as I am.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

if you want the legislator to "fight to protect traditional marriage in Kansas", then you might want him to outlaw divorce. because the domestic registry law does nothing to hurt traditional marriage. I am in a traditional marriage, and I don't feel threatened in the least.

its_getting_warmer 6 years, 2 months ago

blueharley: " I work with a hetro couple that used the registry"

common-law marriage, I would guess?

newsreader 6 years, 2 months ago

Everything that is wrong with our country, and our Government focuses on this and steroids...

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

"And BTW, I work with a hetro couple that used the registry for purposes of solidifying their relationship for work benefits reasons."

Exactly what it was intended for - there are no "incidents and rights of marriage" created and therefore the ordinance is in perfect harmony with the state law. Even though the state law is a steaming pile of bigoted poo.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 2 months ago

Thank you to any legislator fighting to protect traditional marriage in Kansas.

1029 6 years, 2 months ago

what's the matter with kansas?

monkeywrench1969 6 years, 2 months ago

The point people are missing and I think is important to recognize is the registry is about people getting recognized to get insurance. If people really think it is a marriage issue they are wrong. It is about people who would normally not qualify for insurance being able to get recognized.

It is easy for both of the major parties to mask the issue in the "honor of marriage has to be this..." but with reps and senators on both sides history of fooling around with hetro and same sex partners we know where many stand on the importance of marriage.

This is a way to say to the insurance companies we are backing you without going on record to the public saying not everyone should have health care...because that is not an electable stance.

Baille 6 years, 2 months ago

Kinzer is just this millennium's apologist for bigotry and self-righteous condemnation. The racists of yesteryear "morally" opposed to miscegenation had their Loving v. Virgina. I hope we do not have to resort to similar means to right the wrongs advocated by those people like Kinzer who seek to oppress through the institutionalization of discriminatory practices an inherently unique population.

blue73harley 6 years, 2 months ago

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

And again, the spector of sexuality looms over humanity threatening to block out the sun and rain down fire and brimstone. But don't worry, the Grandstanding Old Party is here to save the day.

blue73harley 6 years, 2 months ago

Ditto Monkeyspunk posting at 10:02 a.m. This is another Republican that thinks the same way, that this is a non-issue.

Chris Golledge 6 years, 2 months ago

Let's see, the US constitution forbids the establishment of any law regarding the practice of religion. Marriage is a practice of religion; I dare anyone to say that the spiritual meaning of marriage is inconsequential compared to the secular meaning of marriage.

Yet here we have, not a law, but a state constitution that regulates marriage. How long will it be before this amendment to the state constitution is struck down? Not entirely up on my state rights versus federal government rights, but I can't see that a state constitution can supercede the US one.

plumberscrack 6 years, 2 months ago

mom_of_three says:

So many other things to worry about, such as the proposed Jodi's Law, and he has to worry about the domestic registry. Priorities, priorities:. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aint that the truth.

+++++++++++++++++ Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

Morrison's finding of the constitutionality of the Lawrence Domestic Registry was politically motivated. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The same could be said of AG's decision about our Mayor Sue Hack and city commission, concerning the opens meeting law (KOMA). Everyone seems to except his opinion with the Deciphera handling and open meetings as the right decision but the AG is wrong about Lawrence's domestic registry decision??

Interesting....

was_freashpowder 6 years, 2 months ago

I hate to say it but hat is SOOOOO beaverrent.com its not even funny

Keith 6 years, 2 months ago

Once again, the party that claims to be all about less govt. proves that they don't really mean it.

lounger 6 years, 2 months ago

Why would they care? Its silly they would even consider doing this! Leave us alone please and get back to doing things in topeka like keeping filthy Coal plants from being built. We have NO problem with the way things are here-we are hurting no one-so once again..Leave us alone!!!!!

Marion Lynn 6 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, I forgot to include the entirety of the last paragraph of the opinion:

"However, in determining whether the proposed ordinance is within the "local affairs" of the City of Lawrence, we recognize that the registry provides, arguably, a governmental nod to same-sex relationships by establishing a right of registration for couples meeting the requirements of the ordinance, regardless of residency. To the extent that the registry is available to nonresidents of the City of Lawrence, it is our opinion that the ordinance extends beyond the purview of the City's "local affairs," and, as such, may be found to violate the Home Rule Amendment. Should the City of Lawrence impose a city residency requirement, we believe that the ordinance would pass muster under the Home Rule Amendment."

Like I wrote, Home Rule went out the window!

Marion Lynn 6 years, 2 months ago

R_C:

Ask and ye shall recieve!

The text of the opinion and it is an opinion and such opinions do NOT carry force of law!

Morrison was wrong and will be shown conclusively to have been so, by a court or by the impostion of a new and repressive law which is in line with the repressive constituional amendment!

The text of the opinion:

And the most telling line in the opinion; Morrison's "escape clause" which validates everything that I have written is this:

"Should the Legislature wish to preclude cities from establishing such registries, it can do so by enacting uniform legislation that is preemptive in nature.(74)".

Verb. Sap.

Chris Merrill 6 years, 2 months ago

New2Lawrence, You are right about the poor image this sends for our beloved party. The sad thing is that the Latte liberal lawrons sitting high on their idealistic perches at the Bourgeois Pig will use this as their "All conservatives are Nazis" rallying cry for the week. Your points about staying out of the lives of others are valid. Even though akuna grossly generalizes all Conservatives as intrusive, the point about butting out is well taken. I hope Kinzer is listening to this force of Lawrence GOP members and is heeding our advice. Let this one go.

Reality_Check 6 years, 2 months ago

Marion: On first read, you appear to be right, i.e., "(b) No relationship, other than a marriage, shall be recognized by the state as entitling the parties to the rights or incidents of marriage."

However, we need to be able to read the AG's opinion as to why the Lawrence registry doesn't violate this in order to be able make up our minds.

trinity 6 years, 2 months ago

what exactly in the book "grapes of wrath" made you flip a bit, aginglady??

aginglady 6 years, 2 months ago

Books. I didn't read Grapes of Wrath in school, always say the movie. I read it a few years ago, and frankly I was a bit flipped and my first thought was.."They have high school kids read this????" Now mind you I was reading Clockwork Orange and Johnny Got His Gun, etc., in jr high.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 2 months ago

It will be recalled that I predicted that this very thing would happen.

I do not agree with it but I was right and a few of you just hate that fact.

I also predict that this or a similar bill will indeed pass and become law, perhaps even over a governor's veto.

Morrison's finding of the constitutionality of the Lawrence Domestic Registry was politically motivated; anyone who can read the amendment can see that it violates the constitution and quite clearly so.

" 16: Marriage.

" (a) The marriage contract is to be considered in law as a civil contract. Marriage shall be constituted by one man and one woman only. All other marriages are declared to be contrary to the public policy of this state and are void. (b) No relationship, other than a marriage, shall be recognized by the state as entitling the parties to the rights or incidents of marriage."

The domestic Registry is a blatant atmept on the part of a municipality to circumvent the contstitution; a city being by perforce, an extension of the state and the registry will not stand.

As I wrote, I don't think that marriage or relationships between consenting adults are any of the state's business but the state has made it so by an overwhelming mandate of the voters.

Just like Sunday laws which preculde beer sales or limit hours of certain businesses as compared to other days of the week.

Don't even go to home rule; it does not apply in this matter.

Morrison was merely a political animal, elected not because he was so great but merely because he was not Phill Kline and his ruling, will be blocked by either the courts or by new legislation.

Have a nice day, ya hear?

mr_economy 6 years, 2 months ago

This is precisely the kind of bigotry that will (fortunately) lead to the striking down of the state constitutional amendment as, fittingly, unconstitutional. The 14th Amendment equal protection clause may not mandate legalized marriage for all, but it sure would seem to mandate that any legal benefits off such a partnership are available equally.

There have been hints of this in previous Supreme Court cases dealing with gay rights, and of particular importance is that noted centrist Anthony Kennedy leans to the progressive side on this issue (see Kennedy's writings in Lawrence v. Texas, for instance).

max1 6 years, 2 months ago

Kris "K" Kobach's Republicans in lockstep:

http://www2.ljworld.com/chats/2007/aug/06/christian_morgan/ Christian Morgan [executive director of the Kansas Republican party]: ARTICLE XIII: Party Loyalty (A) The Kansas Republican Party is dedicated to the promotion of Republican policies, candidates and principles. . .Therefore, any individual with voting rights on any Party committee defined in this Constitution, who by any public action donates, contributes, endorses, or in any manner provides open, documented or public assistance to a candidate other than the Republican nominee in a contested, partisan campaign for public office in the state of Kansas, shall forfeit their voting rights and membership on the committee(s) on which they serve.

max1 6 years, 2 months ago

Republicans, especially those from Olathe, have always been on the cutting edge of social advancement. http://christianparty.net/kayoconnor.htm A prominent female state senator [Republican Senator Kay O'Connor of Olathe] has said that she does not support the 19th Amendment, which guarantees women the right to vote

March 03, 2007 But now there's a bill in the legislature sponsored by State Rep. Lance Kinzer, a Republican from Olathe to ban pornography in public school classrooms. It's designed to make it easier to prosecute school teachers for using obscene materials in classrooms. The petition would ban the following Pulitzer, PEN, National Book Award, and National Book Critics Circle award winning literature: * All the Pretty Horses, Cormac McCarthy - National Book Award, 1992 this beautifully crafted novel won the National Book Award Animal Dreams, Barbara Kingsolver - PEN fiction prize and Edward Abbey Ecofiction Award, 1991 The Awakening, Kate Chopin - The 1899 classic The Bean Trees, Barbara Kingsolver -American Library Association, 1988 Beloved, Toni Morrison - Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for Beloved, Toni Morrison won the National Book Awards NBF Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, and the Nobel Prize for Literature. Black Boy, Richard Wright - Named among the top 25 non-fiction works of the century Fallen Angels, Walter Dean Meyers - Coretta Scott King Author Book Award, 1988 Hot Zone, Richard Preston - 42 weeks on the New York Times best-seller list I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou - Nominated for a National Book Award, 1970 Lords of Discipline, Pat Conroy - Conroy won a humanitarian award from the National Education Association for The Water is Wide, 1972 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Ken Kesey - made into an Academy Award-winning movie Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison - National Book Critics Circle Award, 1977 Stotan, Chris Crutcher - Best Books for Young Adult Readers American Library Association, 1986; Best of the Best in Young Adult Literature, School Library Journal * This Boy's Life, Tobias Wolff - From a PEN/Faulkner award winner http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/most-banned.html The Most Frequently Banned Books in the US during the 1990s Among the fifty books that were most frequently challenged in schools and public libraries in the United States between 1990 and 1992:

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

New2Lawrence 6 years, 2 months ago

Dear Fellow Republicans, I thought our primary charter was a less intrusive smaller government. Why are we even talking about this? Why meddle in peoples personal lives? Domestic partnership also applies to non-married hetro couples who want to be allowed to take advantage of health care benefits. Mr.Kinzer don't you have more pressing matters to attend to in Olathe?

akuna 6 years, 2 months ago

Effing conservatives. Get out of our personal lives and start worrying about real problems.

Multidisciplinary 6 years, 2 months ago

monkeyspunk..can you imagine a town like Cottonwood Falls adopting this measure? LOL The stats say there is one same sex couple living there. And who knows if they are relatives or other. Interestingly, they have one sex offender, a teen whos in prison. Lawrence folks really should look up the sex offender list, very interesting stuff on there. There are so many in Lawrence, it will give a person the creeps.

Gays in Lawrence have come so far, I hope this doesn't set the progress backwards.

preebo 6 years, 2 months ago

If a registry is categorically not a marital union then how can it violate the state law defining marriage as between a Man and a Woman? My assumption on its face is that this will flounder. More political grandstanding by the dubious state representative from Olathe.

logicsound04 6 years, 2 months ago

WWJD: Who Would Jesus Dump (on)?

EXks 6 years, 2 months ago

KansASS republicians......sad, PATHETIC......creatures.

Oracle_of_Rhode 6 years, 2 months ago

Scapegoating homosexuals to scare up votes. Jesus would be so proud.

scenebooster 6 years, 2 months ago

Give me a break, LJW censors.

Could Lance Kinzer kindly buzz-off?

tvc 6 years, 2 months ago

Can we secede from the state of Kansas?

logicsound04 6 years, 2 months ago

From the article: "But Kinzer has said the registry violates a Kansas constitutional amendment that voters approved in 2005"

Followed by: "A legal opinion by former Attorney General Paul Morrison said the registry doesn't violate the constitutional ban "

So who is more likely to render a competent opinion regarding legality and constitutionality--the attorney general or some homophobic legislator?

Hmmmmmm...

monkeyspunk 6 years, 2 months ago

"He also says that rules affecting couples and families should be uniform throughout the state."

Amen brother, every city should adopt the forward looking policy of Lawrence, and MOVE THE F$%K ON.

There are a laundry list of issues to deal with that are more important than these bogus issues.

Do the job you were elected to do! I am a Republican, and these types of agendas make me sick.

Our elected officials FAIL at making life better for the average citizen. They FAIL at protecting our environment. They FAIL at maintaining our security. They FAIL at improving our economy. They can't do the job they were elected to do, so now they pander to the dying conservative wing of the Republican party.

You FAIL.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

Priorities, priorities....

scenebooster 6 years, 2 months ago

hawklet21 6 years, 2 months ago

"But Kinzer has said the registry violates a Kansas constitutional amendment that voters approved in 2005, recognizing marriage as only between one man and one woman." And that is why this was created. Because it isn't marriage. Duh.