Archive for Monday, February 18, 2008

Officers humble in receiving awards

February 18, 2008

Police and fire officers honored

Officers from the Lawrence Fire and Police Departments took a break from saving lives to honor two of their own. Enlarge video

On a day when much praise was laid upon them, two Lawrence emergency officers had little to say in response.

Lawrence Police Officer Bronson Star and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical Engineer Greg Murray were honored for their work Sunday at a ceremony that took place at the Fraternal Order of Eagles Lodge, 1803 W. Sixth St. Star received the Reverence for Law Award, and Murray was the recipient of the Excellence in Fire Prevention and Medical Service Award.

Star, a North Dakota native and a graduate of Haskell Indian Nations University, joined the police department in 1999 and was cited for his work ethic and his participation in many facets of law enforcement, including field training and undercover work.

Police Chief Ron Olin said Star's accomplishments garnered him praise from his peers.

"Once we got to the end of the day, we thought Officer Star had significant contributions to our department. Just a very hard-nosed, good-work-ethic type of guy," Olin said.

Star, who was nominated by his colleagues, was humble as he received the award.

"I spoke to a lot of officers that have received the award before. It's thought of highly in the department, so it does feel good to receive the award and get a pat on the back," Star said.

"We have 143 officers, and only one gets it per year, and we've only given 30 of them out, so it's pretty difficult to get," Olin said. "It's a real accomplishment, and Officer Star is very deserving."

Murray also was nominated by his peers and was equally soft-spoken about the award.

"It's quite an honor. I never expected to receive this," he said. "I hope I can carry on the tradition and do my part to make this award what it is."

Fire Chief Mark Bradford told the audience of about 50 police and fire personnel, families and volunteers, that selecting one individual from the department was difficult.

But he said that Murray's wide breadth of experience and long history with the department made him an ideal candidate.

"One of the things that's unique about Engineer Murray is that he fulfills basically any role we need," Bradford said. "He's held a variety of ranks within the department, so again, he's well-versed in the different facets that we're required to provide on a daily basis."

The Eagles present the awards annually.

"It's good to get everybody together and share the respect of the departments," said Dean Brown, a past president of the group. "A lot of people get down on our fire department and police department, but they risk their lives every day of the year for us."

The Eagles' Ladies Auxiliary honored its volunteers of the year as well. Longtime member Pearl Schneider and W.D. Rake were praised for their dedication to the Eagles organization.

Comments

yellowhouse 7 years, 3 months ago

Interesting story. But if there are 143 officers on the police dept. and at least 40 fire and medical workers, not to mention the other city employees...

Out of all those people I find it interesting only 50 people showed up to support their fellow comrads at this awards ceremony.

sad....very sad :(

yellowhouse 7 years, 3 months ago

I guess the rest of them were out on covert missions.

Confrontation 7 years, 3 months ago

Unlike you, Yellowhouse, I bet many of the other workers were actually working (and not breaking the law).

doc1 7 years, 3 months ago

Yellowhouse. Are you serious? Take the tin foil hat off and get some medication. For all our sakes.

Buggie7 7 years, 3 months ago

Im not a newbie smitty I think I must have worded it wrong. i apologize I have the flu. My meaning was to a person making comments on the above statements on that forum saying they thought about how they must not be Lawrence citizens. i was just stating that I was. sorry for the misunderstanding if you read it or I wrote it wrong. I was however infuriated with yellowhouse for using a blog (when he has his own) to pitch his problems that he himself created that was on a site for congrats to the newbies.

been_there 7 years, 3 months ago

Well Buggie I think most of us can understand your frustration. Haven't figured out for sure if Yellowhouse is Carrie or Guy or both. Could be one of the kids too. As for the two officers receiving the award, thanks for your service to the city.

BlackVelvet 7 years, 3 months ago

"Haven't figured out for sure if Yellowhouse is Carrie or Guy or both." You mean they're not one and the same???? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buggie7 7 years, 3 months ago

LoL Been there I felt bad when I went back and re read what I said. Note to self Never post anything on Benedryl. This flu has beat the heck outta me. Im not sure which one it is either Carrie or Guy but our officers do do what they can with very little as in pay benefits and equipment. They are great citizens off duty as well and they deserve recognition not to here the ramblings of yellowhouse and their fairytale

somebodynew 7 years, 3 months ago

Yellowhouse = Was_freash(something) = one of the kids. Yellowhouse used to be at least entertaining when Carrie was using the name. At least we got poetry (sometimes very good). Now the posts are just hijacking any topic to B*** about the situation they got themselves into.

And Smitty - -I have to compliment you on a post much earlier about Volunteers. I could NOT believe that you were all about the topic (and probably with good info) and you did not bring up Sevier or Olin and the LPD coproachs. I was just simply amazed. Good job.

a13 7 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations to the two men for their outstanding work.