Archive for Friday, February 15, 2008

One arrested, five injured in early-morning fight

February 15, 2008, 4:57 a.m. Updated February 15, 2008, 11:28 a.m.

Security personnel for Mil-Spec Security guard the doors to one of the Hampton Court apartments at 1701 W. 24th, where at least five people were injured in a fight early Friday morning.

A 20-year-old man was arrested early this morning following a fight that injured five people in a south Lawrence apartment building.

Police were called at 4:15 a.m. to investigate a disturbance at Hampton Court apartments, which is in the 1700 block of West 24th Street.

Officers found four women and a man who had been cut by someone armed with a broken bottle, according to a police media release. The incident began when the injured man, 19, and the suspect got into a fight that ended in the hallway outside an apartment.

A helicopter ambulance was called and landed in a nearby parking lot. The 19-year-old was flown to a Kansas City area hospital for treatment of facial cuts.

A 27-year-old Lawrence woman was taken by Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical to Lawrence Memorial Hospital to undergo surgery for cuts to her wrist, police said. Two other women, a 30-year-old from Lawrence and a 20-year-old from Anadarko, Okla., were also taken to LMH. A 21-year-old Lawrence woman was treated at the scene.

Comments

Ragingbear 6 years, 10 months ago

Hampton Courts is by far the nastiest, disease ridden, crime (and roach) infested apartments in town. The city should have shut that place down years ago.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 10 months ago

And now the ranters have a PWT (in their opinions) area to gripe about.
Well, I was going to say they can't blame Blacks this time but I see that's not quite the case. Thanks "madmike" All they really want to do is rid Lawrence of the PWT and Blacks then they'll have the Lawrence they want - but now you know they aren't bigots.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 10 months ago

Hawk,everything East of kasold IS Lawrence.Actually we stop at Iowa but I have friends a little west of there so i will allow the skirt to extend to kasold. Everything else is either Joco West or Joco wannabes.

Baille 6 years, 10 months ago

I would have no objection of everyone west of Sierra Drive voted to secede.

KSChick1 6 years, 10 months ago

I live in a nice neighborhood in East Lawrence. No guns, no drugs, no violence. It is not a slum and I reject your generalization. This is an open forum and people are welcome to express their opinions-we can bitch about what we don't like in our town and you can go **** yourself. Thanks!

nogoodreason 6 years, 10 months ago

Pywacket: nicely done. Or as you said, Spot on!

northtown: I won't be quite as poetic as was Pywacket. But allow me to summarize in less eloquent terms: you are a moron. Turn off the computer and go lie down for awhile before you hurt yourself.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 10 months ago

This morning we seem to have an ABUNDANCE of pointless rants.

Bladerunner 6 years, 10 months ago

I think Northtowns comment was right on! You people bitch way too much. This is not a perfect world. It is life. The idiots outnumber us a hundred to one and no matter if they live in a blighted area or new housing...they will still fight and or victimize.

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't think we should generalize who lives in that area. There are many families with low incomes who have to live there for the low rents. If they could find any other cheap location in Lawrence, then they would. College students live there, too. Older adults live there. I agree with Bladerunner. The idiots are located all over town and will cause problems wherever they roam.

lily 6 years, 10 months ago

I live east of Kasold and I don't appreciate the comments. I take it as a direct hit. Not everything on the east side is slum. There may not be wood shingles on the roof, BMW's in the driveway, but there are some very nice neighborhoods. If it was so bad then why are people still buying? Smaller homes maybe but great for starter family. So, you can have your opinion of east Lawrence and I'll have mine of west and we can go to our respective corners.

ry_lyon 6 years, 10 months ago

Well first of all I would like to begin with saying that many of you had very good points, (Pywacket in particular), However instead of everyone getting angry and commenting the newspaper article, shouldn't we be taking a closer look at the reasons, that these incidents happen. First of all it's not just one race, it's all races. And as for that many people being injured, well if the police were quicker to get to the scene, instead of giving out bull "s" traffic citations, maybe there would have been 1 injury instead of 5. That leaves much to be said about their "so called" security officers too don't you think?

yeah_right 6 years, 10 months ago

The fact that this fight and the one at the Jet Lag are even reported on LJWorld is kind of strange to me. The fact that bar fights are newsworthy in Lawrence should be viewed as a good thing because in most cities they are the norm. I bet that there are several fights in Lawrence apartment complexes and bars every week. Why are these two so significant? Seems to me like the LJWorld is trying to imply that since Last Call wasn't open, the violence has spread throughout the town...or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

buddy2me 6 years, 10 months ago

yeah_right, i would agree with most of your post. People are looking with their blinders on. This crap happens all the time in Lawrence. There have been incidents in the past that knives have been pulled and used and guns have been raised but some make it in the paper and others don't. This race thing really bothers me. How many have ever one to the Ranch at 1:30 am and seen all the drunk cowboys fighting because such and such looked at my girl! Many times this has happened and "weapons" pulled, but some make it in and others don't.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 10 months ago

Never,the area is sterile and devoid of character.Unfortunatly money can not buy personality or make you interesting.If it could,joco never would have come here.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 10 months ago

"round and round we go where we stop no one knows"

surosemar 6 years, 10 months ago

my heart goes out to each and everyone that was injured. God bless you all. Now get the f*&$ out of town, losers.!!!