Archive for Monday, February 11, 2008

Fire breaks out at south Lawrence home

Witnesses describe harrowing rescue

February 11, 2008, 10:41 a.m. Updated February 11, 2008, 11:55 a.m.

Fire at 1507 W. 27th

Raw footage of Lawrence Fire and Medical Crews dealing with the house fire. Enlarge video

Lawrence Fire and Medical crews this morning reponded to a house fire at 1507 W. 27th.

Witnesses describe seeing a passerby enter the burning house to help another person out of the home. Brad Shuck, the passerby, noticed the flames, called 911 and then yelled into the home to see if anyone needed help.

A physically disabled occupant of the home responded, saying he was on the floor and not able to move. Shuck crawled on the floor and pulled the man to safety. The man was transported by ambulance to the hospital.

The fire started shortly before 10 a.m. The first fire crews on the scene reported seeing intense flames coming from the home.

Comments

weatherguy48 6 years, 10 months ago

Witnesses describe seeing a man enter the burning house to help another person out of the home.

That is ten shades of awesome.

Gabe Hoffman 6 years, 10 months ago

Kudos on helping someone in such need and not just keep driving.

otto 6 years, 10 months ago

Brad is one of the nicest most caring people you will ever meet.

Cait McKnelly 6 years, 10 months ago

This was a true hero. I hope it gets picked up nationally.

Mike Blur 6 years, 10 months ago

If it's the same Brad Shuck (a man in his 40s) I went through jr high and high school with him. Yes, he is a great guy, and was back then as well.

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

what a courageous thing to do!
You have my vote for hero.

ksmax 6 years, 10 months ago

Thank you Brad! That was my uncle. You are truley a hero!!!

coolmarv 6 years, 10 months ago

My hero of the day. It's just Monday so I can't give him the whole week yet. Good candidate though.

otto 6 years, 10 months ago

Marv, i'd give him the whole week - This is truly a story of bravery, doing something for another person like this. That's Brad.

domino 6 years, 10 months ago

I vote for the whole week, too! If anyone does anything to top this, we will worry about it when it happens! God bless you, Brad!!

tinijoh1984 6 years, 10 months ago

My Grandfather is the physically disabled occupant of that residence. May God bless you Brad, you have given my Grandfather a second chance at life and I am truely grateful for your heroism!

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

"Shuck crawled on the floor and pulled the man to safety." Truly a courageous and heroic act! Deserves the key to the City at the very very least.....

LAWnative 6 years, 10 months ago

Anyone that knows Brad knows that he wouldn't keep on driving. Brad should be recognized with a citizens award!

Lawrenceiscrooked 6 years, 10 months ago

I personally know Brad. I went to school with him and we even played baseball together. What a great guy then and now. Thanks Brad for being such a great guy and a superb humanitarian both then and now.

thebigspoon 6 years, 10 months ago

Brad, great job !!!!! Next time I see you at the Coast I will buy you a cold one...I know you are a very modest person and probably don't want all this attention but you deserve it. Carrie and your kids will be very very proud of you I am sure.

ArmyBrat25 6 years, 10 months ago

I know the family of the home. They are very good people. I hope you all get through this. You guys are in my prayers and thoughts. Love you all!

bjcjdjtj 6 years, 10 months ago

my father is the occupant of the house. I live far away from home and we mostly talk on the phone. I spoke to my dad the night before and am grateful to Brad I'll get to talk to him again.

Termcd4 6 years, 10 months ago

Brad- what an inspiration! Finally- some uplifting news! You are a dear...way back from the ol' school days....

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 10 months ago

I think that is great! Think what this world would be like if everyone helped each other. OMG I'm talking like a liberal, sorry. Thank you, Lynn

MrDudeMan 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm Taylor Shuck, the daughter of Brad and I'm SOOO proud of him! But as said before, if anyone knows my father to any extent then they would never put something like this past him. I've seen him do random acts like this before from a guy in a burning car (which my dad helped get out and called the fire department) to when we were driving home on a VERY stormy night and he saw an overturned camper and we had to pull over to check if anyone was in it (which there wasn't, thank goodness) and I truly believe that my dad deserves all the kindness everyone is giving him. I know i wont be mean to him (until at least friday ;]) and my mom will get him something nice (hopefully!!) for valentines day

SJHCougar42 6 years, 10 months ago

Well I am a great personal friend of Miss Taylor Shuck, and have known Brad since I became friends with her. He is a great guy, and Taylor is AMAZING! like no lie. =] Thanks, to the whole family! They all have a lot of heart, and its hard to find better people anywhere. =] =]

And Dude, Brad is a pimp.

ccp 6 years, 10 months ago

Taylor, You should be very proud of your father for such a selfless act. Very, very cool! I agree, he deserves some sort of recognition by the city. How many others drove by without stopping?

Daddyslilgirl787 6 years, 10 months ago

Brad is a true Hero! And hearing this doesn't suprise me one bit because that is the kind of guy Brad is! Brad is one of the best people you will ever meet! What he did was AMAZING!!

temperance 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't know him personally, but way to go Brad -- dude, you're a Hero, capital H!

softtalker 6 years, 10 months ago

Brad is my uncle and honestly, this does not surprise me one bit. He is honestly one of the most amazing men i've ever known. Glad to hear the guy is going to be okay!

Rick Aldrich 6 years, 10 months ago

nice to see a real hero living in our town. congrats. and lets pray for a speedy recovery for the home owner. and it's been nice reading a whole discussion blog and no negative remarks. i don't know you brad but hope an angel like you is close if i ever need one.