Archive for Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wintry weather forecast brings cancellations

February 5, 2008, 10:44 a.m. Updated February 5, 2008, 11:52 a.m.

USD 342 McLouth will dismiss at 1 p.m. today.

USD341 Oskaloosa will dismiss at 1 p.m. today. Evening activities are canceled.

Schwegler Elementary's PTA meeting for tonight has been canceled.

The Eudora High School home basketball games against Atchison have been canceled for tonight, Tuesday, Feb. 5, due to winter weather. At this time, practices and activities will take place as scheduled.

Lawrence Memorial Hospital has canceled the Reducing High Blood Pressure Without Medication with William Hale, MD event has been rescheduled to Tuesday, April 29. The Breastfeeding Support Group has also been canceled.

Comments

nobody1793 7 years, 1 month ago

"The Breastfeeding Support Group has also been canceled."

On second thought, no comment.

Ragingbear 7 years, 1 month ago

It's not snow as predicted. Why are people flipping out? I can still ride my bike out there!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 1 month ago

Are you in Jefferson County? It may be bad up there. We are right on the edge of the above freezing, below freezing line.

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

It's not bad in Jeff Co. My kid goes to Oskie, I work in Topeka. I called my before/after school care provider to make sure she had heard that they had called school at 1:00 and she said it was raining and that was it. It sleeted a little this a.m. in Jeff Co. around 6:45 to 7:15 but since then it's been basically rain. Go figure!

compmd 7 years, 1 month ago

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

volunteer 7 years, 1 month ago

I scratch my head more often about the early dismissal policy of the Lawrence school district.

ksdivakat 7 years, 1 month ago

volunteer, dont you mena the Lack of early dismissal policy??? LOL So everyone think the snow storm has missed us again??

avaholic 7 years, 1 month ago

Why? Lawrence Public Schools haven't canceled anything. Why should they? It's just rain falling right now anyway.

ksdivakat 7 years, 1 month ago

today is just one day ava, usually it takes an act of congress for lawrence to cancel school and in the 18 years my kids have been going to these schools, I cant think if a single time that the schools dismissed early for anything unexpected.

ksdivakat 7 years, 1 month ago

By the way, I thought I heard Channel 6 say this morning that the snow wouldnt start until after dark tonight, and then its really anyones guess, Ive heard anywhere from 4-8 inches are expected?? anyone have any updates??

hawklet21 7 years, 1 month ago

It may be just rain now, but wait until that stuff freezes!!

KSChick1 7 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence schools got out early a couple of years ago for bad weather. They also call Snow Days when it's not that bad. Now cancelling KU classes, that takes an act of well, whatever you call god. And even that has happened a few times in the last few years!

misseve 7 years, 1 month ago

Schools here RARELY let out early... Except that stupid Wed crap (refrains from ranting on that) From what i have seen the snow, sleet and freezing should be happening tonight. BUT all these storms have missed us in the past and i hope this is on of those times as well. Just think we could be further east and in a tornado warning.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

roads in southern jeff co are fine so far...

Dixie Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

bring it on im ready for another day off of work...........

volunteer 7 years, 1 month ago

I appreciate the weathermap link, TOBob, as well as the good humor with which you delivered it. Anyone else recall a couple of Super Bowl's ago when all the local TV weather folks were warning us on Saturday night/Sunday morning to cancel our Super Bowl party plans, then it turned out to be a normal February day, cold but not treacherous at all?

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

Everything is pretty quiet in Franklin County thus far.

busymom 7 years, 1 month ago

Only time in the past few years I know of that KU cancelled classes was right after the "micro-burst" because shingles were falling off the roofs and tree limbs everywhere. So they deemed it unsafe and cancelled a couple days for cleanup.

mmmskyscraper 7 years, 1 month ago

I remember KU canceled two days of classes in...2002? I don't remember it being much worse then than it is now, but I lived in the dorms then, so it's possible I just wasn't aware of how bad the weather was because I didn't even really have to leave the building.

avaholic 7 years, 1 month ago

ksdivakat - I'm not saying that that they shouldn't cancel classes. I'm just saying that waiting isn't the worst thing in the world. At the time of the article it was noon and it was just rain. You want them to cancel classes then? Yes, they did predict 4-8 inches. I've lived through these predictions and woke up the next morning with nothing on the ground. Why would they dismiss for the unexpected? My point is that we should wait and see what it's like in the morning and then make a decision. Yeah, it might be an inconvience for parents, but sometimes that's just the way it is.