Letters to the Editor

Misinformation

February 4, 2008

To the editor:

A recent study has documented 935 misrepresentations of fact told by the Bush administration after Sept. 11 leading up to the Iraq war. The misrepresentations weren't put forward only by Bush and Cheney but by such trustworthy people as then-Secretary of State Colin Powell (who has complained that even he was led astray).

It was easy for those of us on the outside to be against the war. We didn't have the responsibility and burden to decide whether or not to send American young men and women into harm's way. We didn't attend briefings or read intelligence reports. Unfortunately, those who were required to cast their votes did so based on reports and briefings that included 935 "misrepresentations of facts" (some actual lies) from the Bush administration and the intelligence community.

Sen. Clinton made a difficult decision, which she thought was in the best interest of the country. Can we really be sure how we would have voted had we been fed wrong information 935 times?

Pam Houston,

Lawrence

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 2 months ago

Yeah. Like this one time, I voted for some politicians and they like, didn't live up to their promises, so then I like, didn't vote for them, but it didn't matter because they like, were able to rig the election and like, then they went to war with a bunch of people, and then I voted for some other people who promised not to do that, and they did anyways...

Speakout 7 years, 2 months ago

Unless, we the people, hold our "leaders" to the truth, we will never get it. There was never any reason to go to war with Iraq because: even if they had WMD, they never threatened us, Saddam may have been a bad man, but he never wanted to overthrow our government, and He wasn't fond of our enemies either (Al Qaeda). What purpose would be served by blowing the hell out of Iraq?
Well we did it, and where are we today? There was no purpose.
AND, get this: It was asked of Wolfowitz to find a way into Iraq by Bush. He did, then he left the White House and went to the World Bank where THEYasked him to leave. So what do we do? We put him in charge of researching weapons and armaments that can be used against Iran. So now he is finding a way into Iran? Hurry, hurry January 20th, 2009!!!

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm doing my own study of misinformation in letters to the editor. I officially mark this as entry number 1. I will use no real proof. I will simply be writing a chicken-scratch mark on a pad of paper every time I read something I deem to be untrue. I will be the only real authority as it is my study, dammit. I will continue this "study" until I reach 935 untruths(?) or until there is a vote for Kansas Newspaper of the Year, at which time I will unveil my "study" for maximum damage. Also, check back for results of our other study, sausage is not a member of the pork family....because we said so....and attached the word study next to it. That is all.

curious2 7 years, 2 months ago

Old news! We all know he's a liar, since my significant other returned from nearly losing his life in the "quagmire" we know as Iraq, I have felt nothing but dislike and resentment for his office, I also have felt let down by my fellow americans for voting to keep this creep in office twice! Shame on you! Now look at the mess Clinton must clean up, I admire her courage to step up and rebuild our nation after such loss and chaos has been committed.

average 7 years, 2 months ago

That might have been more forgivable had she read those reports.

Only six senators did. She wasn't one of them. She believed.

If we're going to get out of Iraq, we need to appear to offer a new deal for the Iraqis. The wife of the president whose crippling sanctions and annual bombing runs killed thousands of Iraqis? Whether the sanctions were right or wrong from our perspective, they were wrong from the perspective of the man on the street in Iraq. We need a leader who is not connected to that legacy.

average 7 years, 2 months ago

BTW - The word politics in the URL above has to be POLITICS in all caps to get to the CNN article. The LJWorld blog software screws it up.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

The politicians could have demanded hard evidence that which never surfaced before invading countries that did not invade the USA.

Reports were consistently coming back that were contrary to what BUSHCO was promoting.

I'm with Average on the Clinton support....no way.

Eileen Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

Most of the people now criticizing Clinton for her vote were rah rah rah America fck yeah! for attacking Iran at the time.

All this belated criticism is disingenuous. It was a minority of Americans who saw the folly of attacking Iraq.

Go Obama, though.

ndmoderate 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh joy. The poster with a thousand identities is back. And this time, he's pimping his own "book."

Yay. This should be fun to watch?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

"Americans should be very skeptical when listening to the media and realize that in many instances, they are being "misinformed," lied to, and manipulated." That includes press releases from George Soros' fronts.

beatrice 7 years, 2 months ago

Ragingbear wins right out of the shoot.

Should we count "Mission Accomplished" and "I'm the Decider" as lies as well?

staff04 7 years, 2 months ago

Aw, dammit! I missed Groenhagen getting the boot again? Why didn't you guys tell me?!?

I actually wish the LJW would leave his statements up and just make a notation that he has been kicked off...for the 13th or 14th time!

staff04 7 years, 2 months ago

So, DotsLines, you're saying you weren't fooled?

beatrice 7 years, 2 months ago

"Fool me 935 times, why, I must be a Democrat."

Yep, it isn't the fault of the liars at all, it is the fault of those who fell for the lies. Um, okay.

Amazing how some people lost their minds over the lies Clinton told about his willy and "that woman," but now want to gloss over the lies by Bush that led us into war. Priorities anyone?

staff04 7 years, 2 months ago

Lies are kind of like pesky gnats, aren't they r_t?

beatrice 7 years, 2 months ago

Yep, what is nearly 4,000 dead American soldiers in Iraq when compared with one stained blue dress?

RedwoodCoast 7 years, 2 months ago

right_thinker (Anonymous) says: She'd not like to be f'ed with for one second and wouldn't hesitate to blow Iran, for example, off the face of the earth. And she may do it just because she can, and I have no problem with that idea.

OK, this is the second time today I've called someone on this attitude. Lose the air of superiority. Hubris gets this country nowhere either within our outside itself. I think that is the attitude that Bush was playing on in order to invade Iraq in the first place.