Archive for Friday, February 1, 2008

Democrats change caucus site in Lawrence

February 1, 2008

Democratic Party leaders have changed the location of one Lawrence caucus site because of concerns about space and parking constraints.

Any Democrat who planned to attend the caucus Tuesday at Liberty Hall, 642 Mass., now needs to report to the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, near 19th and Harper streets. This change affects anyone whose state senator is Marci Francisco and who lives in Dennis Moore's congressional district.

The caucus will be in the Community Building, 1930 Harper St. Doors open at 6 p.m. Tuesday, and any registered Democrat who wants to participate must be in line by 7 p.m. Participants will be allowed to change their party affiliation to Democrat while registering to caucus.

The two other Democratic caucus sites in Lawrence - Abe & Jake's Landing, 8 E. Sixth St., and the National Guard's Metcalf Memorial Armory, 200 Iowa - remain the same.

Kansas Republicans will caucus at 10 a.m. Feb. 9. The Douglas County site is at South Junior High School, 2734 La.

Comments

FormerCentralKansan 6 years, 11 months ago

This sounds like something the Clintons ordered done. Changing the caucus site at the last minute in hopes of suppressing the vote.

average 6 years, 11 months ago

Not only can you change your party affiliation at the door, you may also participate if you have never registered before or have moved to the area and have not registered as a local voter. KU and Haskell dorm residents may register to vote with their dorm address (all those dorms will caucus at this new location, the fairgrounds), even if you come from another state. Baker students and other Baldwin residents caucus at the Lawrence Armory, 200 Iowa (on the road to the Turnpike).

You also do not have to be 18. If you are 17, but will be 18 on November 4th, you are welcome.

This is true for the Democratic caucus. The GOP caucus requires that you be a registered Republican by a deadline already past.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 11 months ago

Um, I was thinking Liberty Hall was going to be to small. That district has KU and the dorms.

kuhusker 6 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, but now we can't get a dose of "democratic courage" at Free State before caucusing!

inatux 6 years, 11 months ago

So, I'm registered as a Republican but I've been wanting to switch for some time now. Did I read the story right, that I can show up to this and change my party affiliation as well if I want?

I actually have the form to change filled out in my car, I just need to send it in!

soitgoes 6 years, 11 months ago

I spoke with a state party employee last night, and they expressed concern over turnout to me. Not a low turnout, either. He wasn't sure there was going to be enough space at all the caucus sites to accommodate those wanting to caucus on Tuesday.

Ch1mpL0gic 6 years, 11 months ago

inatux -- according to what I read on the Kansas Democratic caucus website, those caucusing for a Democrat can fill out a form to register/change party affiliation when they register at the door for the caucus

average 6 years, 11 months ago

inatux -

You shouldn't send it in, just bring it with you to your caucus location. They need to either have you on the county's registered Democrat list (which takes time) or take a Democrat-checked registration form at the time. They plan to have registration forms at the door, but with the possible crowd and apparent lack of organization, having your own form printed and filled out early is a good idea. I'll be doing the same thing. I've been registered Libertarian (more on the ACLU end, and to support third-party numbers since Kansas primaries don't usually matter), and may re-re-register after the caucus.

Ch1mpL0gic 6 years, 11 months ago

Here's the link to the Kansas Democratic Party's Super Tuesday website where you can get info about caucusing:

Bob Forer 6 years, 11 months ago

I am excited. I plan on taking my eighty-two year old father with me. He's a big Obama support, as am I . Should be great.

Kaw Pickinton 6 years, 11 months ago

kuhusker, they have kegs. I'll bring a glass.