Archive for Monday, December 29, 2008

Baldwin City hunter gets big bang out of giant buck

Chad Christie, right, of Baldwin city, shot a large buck within a quarter-mile of his house in early December. The 20-point buck will probably be recorded as one of the biggest ones ever shot in the state. Christie’s son Justin, 10, holds up the antlers outside their house on Dec. 17.

December 29, 2008

Baldwin City man lands record-setting buck

A Baldwin City man sacks one of the biggest bucks ever in Kansas. Enlarge video

Chad Christie is an experienced hunter.

He’s shot more than a dozen deer in his life.

But about a month ago, the rural Baldwin City man saw the one that would make him the talk of area hunting circles. He was headed to pick up his son for an outing when Christie spotted the buck from U.S. Highway 56.

Change of plans.

He turned around and headed out on his family’s land south of the highway and west of Baldwin City.

He tried to sneak up on the buck, who had a doe with him.

“He saw me and busted me,” Christie said.

So, he quickly aimed his Remington rifle.

“I just had to take a shot, and it was 306 yards,” Christie said.

He found no blood, and after a long search, Christie couldn’t spot the body. After hours of searching and what he called a long night, he figured his chance at a major score ended with a narrow miss.

The next day, Christie attended his daughter’s basketball game, but his brother called him, urging him to come home right away.

He’d found the buck.

“I couldn’t believe it. It looked like a moose. He was big,” Christie said.

The white-tailed deer had a 20-point and nontypical antler rack. Nontypical means some of his points are headed toward the ground.

Christie has to wait two months before the deer can receive an official score, which is a total measurement of the rack. Christie says it’s been estimated the rack will score at 241 total inches, which would place it as seventh in the rankings the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks keeps for nontypical white-tailed deer that were shot with a firearm.

The highest was a buck shot in Shawnee County — just more than 280 inches — by Joseph Waters of Topeka in 1987.

A photo of Christie holding the antlers has already made its way around Kansas hunting circles.

“That’s a heck of a nice deer,” said Lloyd Fox, the big game program coordinator for the KDWP.

Fox, whose office is in Emporia, said from the reports he has heard, it has been “an outstanding year” for deer hunters in Kansas. He expects about 100,000 individual hunters to participate in hunts, and the traditional 75,000 deer will be harvested.

As far as the rankings for the largest bucks in the state, Fox says it’s meant to celebrate the size of the animal.

“It is the hunter honoring the deer,” Fox said.

Christie has tried to keep a low profile. The environmental technician for ICL Performance Products LP in Lawrence tried to only send a few pictures out to close friends via e-mail, but through the Internet, their spread exploded.

“I’ve never had so many phone calls in my life,” Christie said.

For now, he’s just waiting for the rack to dry so it can be officially scored. Rumors are flying that he’s been offered thousands of dollars for the animal, but Christie said no one had made him an offer as of last week.

For now, he plans to mount the antlers on the wall as a reminder.

“I was just in the right place at the right time and actually got him,” Christie said.

Comments

eathorse5 6 years, 3 months ago

So, my question is where are all the pics(body, size,where ya shot it). Lots of rumors around this, so lets clear them up big guy???FYI, if it was me after I shot it, Kansas Wildlife would of been called and verified, then straight to Bass Pro or Cabelas for auction???? No just cuting of the rack......

FMT6488 6 years, 3 months ago

Always remember to respect an animals' rights . . . This message brought to you by P.E.T.A. >People >Eat >Tasty >Animals - the friendly (but hungry) organization supporting all animals' right to be eaten.

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 3 months ago

That rack is huge! Congrats Chad, that is the deer of a lifetime.

Bladerunner 6 years, 3 months ago

I've seen bigger racks at The Flamingo!

phyllyphat 6 years, 3 months ago

sourpuss 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey, the earth used to have these suckers, the Megaloceros:http://www.donsmaps.com/images4/magalocerospic7.jpgMegaloceros, a giant deer, was just over 2m (6ft 6in) at the shoulder, about the size of a moose. The antlers together span about 3.6m (12ft), or 1.8m (6ft) each. Some were even larger.That's right, if you could even get the rack in your house, tip to tip it would stretch from ceiling to floor. They died off due to climate change and human hunting activities.

planetwax 6 years, 3 months ago

BaldwinDad 6 years, 3 months ago

I personally don't have a problem with hunting as part of animal conservationism, but since this story has nothing to do with that, it is a little sad. Especially when the hunter in question even said their was a Doe along with the this buck, but he instead shot the buck for mere trophy hunting.

dontcallmedan 6 years, 3 months ago

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years, 3 months ago

"planetwax (Anonymous) says… I'm sad for the boy who is learning that he can become headline news for killing a majestic and peaceful animal. I'm am also sad and extremely disappointed in The Lawrence Journal World for putting it there."Yeah... I'd much rather run into the animal on the road and the kid sit around at home by himself playing Wii and getting fat. I knew when I saw this story that it would generate the usual "OMG I am a concerned Lawrencian!" comments... and, as usual, the perpetually outraged citizenry doesn't disappoint.

salad 6 years, 3 months ago

306 yds on a moments notice...nice shootin' tex!That said, you stink for not having the commitment to track it down and process it while it's still fresh. I have no problem with hunting, but you should eat what you kill or not hunt. One other thing: if using a rifle, I sure hope he was firing down on the deer or there was something behind it. We all read the story of the little girl in Tonganoxie who was shot in the head by a stray bullet from a hunters rifle. No doubt the hunter who fired that round didn't think about what would happen to it if he missed. They still haven't found the guy, btw. Bow hunting is better. Wolverine-style (comic book character) hunting is the acme of skill.

AnglNSpurs 6 years, 3 months ago

Congrats Chad on the monster! I only wish I would have got that one! I was one that got the spread picture, and couldn’t believe it for anything! While I respect everyone’s opinions, hunting is a sport. Now Chad was in the right place at the right time (and don’t I wish I was there!) Most hunters begin watching the animal they are hunting long before season; they study feeding patterns, rubs on trees, as well as tracks. That and they also practice their shot – citing in rifles and all. Then when season starts, they sit and wait patiently for their animal. Some go for the Does and others go for the buck. I don’t know a single hunter, and I know a lot, that goes just for the trophy… many also go for the meat in the freezer. There is nothing like venison.Unfortunately, movies and other forms of media have formed a view of hunting that is bad. But this is a time honored tradition that dates back to the plains people hunting buffalo to feed their families. As for having Chad’s son in the picture with the antlers, I see nothing wrong with that. As a little girl, my dad took me hunting and fishing and now I love the sport - like I said earlier, I wish I had got the big one, or even just a doe. But more than the love for the sport, I love spending time with my father enjoying something we both have an interest in. I think it is great Chad’s son is interested in this rather than ( and this was stated earlier) playing a Wii. But I woundn't think Chad's son would be playing with a Wii, the Christie's are a long time Douglas County Farming Family - I bet those kids play more with their livestock than video games.To be able to hunt in Kansas, you must possess not only a hunter’s license but also a tag for the specific animal you kill – in this case Chad would have a Either Sex (Antler or Antlerless) Fire Arm Tag. The fees for these tags go back into wildlife preservation through KDWP. Hunting not only give pack to preservation, but it is also controls the population of a species. In turn, the more deer killed – the less likely you are to hit one and hurt your self. Okay, I am off my soap box. Have a wonderful day… and CONGRATS CHAD!

Scott Drummond 6 years, 3 months ago

"planetwax, I'm sad that you are a gooney-goo-goo tree hugger. If you eat meat, then you have no room to whine about hunting at all. If you don't want to hunt, then don't. Why do you think that anyone wants you to push your beliefs on anyone else?"The article, of course, made no mention of the killing being done for the meat & the article makes clear the guy saw the rack & killed for the trophy. I, too, find it offensive that the LJW is glorifying this behavior.

coolmom 6 years, 3 months ago

as long as you actually eat what you bag i dont see the problem. trophy hunting i think shouldnt be acceptable but for hundreds of years this was how humans survived i do not think some people knowing the skills and passing them to their children should be considered bad. i dislike hunting but went with my dad growing up around lawrence. i agree chili with deer meat prepared well is awesome.

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 3 months ago

Deer hunting with a rifle is not impressive, no matter how big the deer. Try it with a bow. I've seen bigger bucks shot with a bow around Winfield.

Scott Drummond 6 years, 3 months ago

"I think all citizens should be required to bag a deer a year. We'd all be safer on the roads."Or all citizens should be required to drive at sane speeds in an attempt to co-exist with God's other creations. We'd all be far safer if we adopted that approach.

Pinhead_Identifier 6 years, 3 months ago

And logicsound, you being a pinhead, don't demonized those who don't agree with you, for example that Obama will suck as a president? Are you a pinhead or not? Or that we disagree with boys doing boys is wrong? Who is shoving down whos throat? How many times did you call others that don't like Barack a racist, you pinhead?

lawdog 6 years, 3 months ago

So this is news? Why are we subject into seeing this on the front page of Ljworld? Little children should have to view this? Okay Mr. Palin why don't you teach your son to respect life rather than kill it? Shame on you! Take some parenting classes!

mmiller 6 years, 3 months ago

I have no problem with hunting as long as the animal is going to be eaten. If you're killing animals just for the thrill of "killing," then that pissess me off. It's sick and wrong. I get the feeling this hunter shot the buck for the antlers, as well as bragging rights. I could be wrong. You think he's more excited because he gets to eat the deer or the fact that he shot such a large buck??

kujayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Humans cause more accidents than deers, so maybe we can all "bag" a human while we're at it.

lawdog 6 years, 3 months ago

Looking at Mr. Palin's photo, I"m sure he wasnt killing the deer to feed himself or his family! I'm sure that this deer was murdered for his 'crown'!

ksjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

That is an awesome deer. Congratulations to a great Douglas county resident. I just want to say one thing to the P.E.T.A., commie, liberals who have been criticizing Mr. Christie. Kansans have been hunting for food and sport a lot longer than they have been driving through Starbucks to get Skinny Vanilla Lattes with extra whipped cream.

classclown 6 years, 3 months ago

In order to maintain balance and a sense of fairness, tomorrow LJWorld will feature a story on a person that bagged himself a 20 pound piece of tofu at the merc.

townie_girl 6 years, 3 months ago

It's a shame that most of you don't know the Christie family. You might not make the comments that you do. Congratulations on a great trophy Chad!! And enjoy the meat from your prize.

m700shooter 6 years, 3 months ago

Chad, I'm a Virginia hunter, Congrats on the awesome Buck! Your region seems to have problems (from the minority) on this awesome harvest. I believe the last time I checked we were still in a free country. Continue to educate those around you on the importance of hunting all game. Our society has become soft and unrealistic and evidence of this is surely to come in the future as those whom do not practice this god given command will suffer for food. Lastly, your rifle, your land, and I noticed your Kansas Department of Game tag.....truly the buck of a lifetime! Good stuff.

stevieags 6 years, 3 months ago

Chad, Congrats on the new piece for your wall. Most people don't understand hunting so I'm sure you are disregarding all the negative crap that you hear. Congrats again and good catch

saoirseglen 6 years, 3 months ago

Even if one is a vegetarian, wears no fur or leather, one still has destroyed wildlife habitat and wildlife simply by existing on the planet as a human being. Every house, road, town and farm has destroyed or displaced area once used by wildlife.At least hunters try to keep populations in check by culling numbers to keep them within a sustainable level. Predator, varmint and vermin hunters do that same, especially if they are in a period of overpopulation when they are living disease vectors more than anything else.Everyone can have an opinion about a matter, however I value little those who do not actually learn about something before they dismiss it or disparage it. I at least understand the impacts of overpopulation and disease on the overall health of wildlife populations. I also try to improve their habitats and reduce my effect upon them as best I can. I do things to help wildlife and be a conservationist. This is more than I have seen done by animal rights activists, antihunters and those who think hunting is barbaric yet still eat store bought meat or even say that because they are vegetarians they do not have a negative effect upon wildlife. If you exist you do have an effect upon wildlife and nature whether you acknowledge the fact or not.I elect to be a good steward of wildlife and work to make their habitat batter and ensure that their numbers do not exceed the carrying capacity of the area I have a direct effect over.

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 3 months ago

You rarely see this kind of fuss out of a person being shot, but kill a deer? well that is just unacceptable!!

tanaumaga 6 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket says, "There are too many of them for the habitat to support." I say, "Where can I get my tag for you?"

Gertrude 6 years, 3 months ago

This is simply unreal, all the negative comments about a wonderful dad having his son, be a part of this great hunting accomplishment. It's sad to think that because his dad hunts he is going to end up a killer. Let's see the people in the news that have killed people, I don't think I have ever heard them say, WOW he was a deer hunter when he was younger. Anyone that understands hunting realizes this is what the hunter lives for. The people with all the negative blogs have no idea what hunting is. The boy in the picture goes to Baldwin and is a very sweet, kind and nice kid. The fact that he dad is teaching him about hunting should be recongized. The boy from my understanding has hunted with his dad for 2 years. His dad makes sure he understands the ethics and safety around hunting. As to you lawdog, Mr Palin, has taught his son life lessons, let me see your sitting smoking and letting your son watch tv. That's an awesome role model. Or let me guess you don't have one so you have no idea what a good dad is. Mr Palin is a great dad. I voted for Sara Palin. My understanding on this great kill, was that the hunter had no idea it was that big until the next morning, if you would have saw the channel 6 video you would see the wide open shot with no other kids or neighbors around to get hurt. Madmike, way to go and always stand up for the American guy. Lawrence is a great town, just not a lot of hunters that understand this dad did not do anything wrong having his son in this picture. Grow up! Chad has hunted for many years and this is truly his time for honor of every hunters dream. I wish it was me that got that awesome deer! I'm going to take hunting next year for the TROPHY!!!!!!!

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

It's pretty entertaining that Wacko1 would complain about this, and then head over to the shelter for a free burger.

InspectorJo 6 years, 3 months ago

Way to go Mr. Christie! This is quite an accomplishment for you deer hunters. You should be very proud, Justin seems to be beaming as well. This will be a story to remember for years to come.I remember going deer hunting with my dad and four brothers. They still have stories to tell to this day. I myself didn't care for it, but those brothers of mine were quite the hunters. Congratulations from all of us here at the JO house.

riverdrifter 6 years, 3 months ago

I hunted this deer on nearby property based on rumors from some other landowners. Got a nice look at him from my treestand on a day when the wind was rocking so bad I needed Draminine. Passed on a stupid shot. I had never seen such a critter before: a true monster. His rack was so heavy that he wobbled around with it. Never saw him again. Waay to go Chad.

gusto2002 6 years, 3 months ago

Nice Buck and great job getting your kid involved in the outdoors!!!PETA = Bad........Meat = Good

BaldwinDad 6 years, 3 months ago

RidgeRunner (Anonymous) says… For Deer Management purposes, he took the correct deer. IE, the most mature deer.This buck was probably 4.5 to 5.5 years old and is on his way down, along with that, having his best breeding years behind him. Also, on his way down, he would of been competition to other, younger deer, possibly keeping them from their genetic capabilities (Better?) or even basic food to survive the coming winter/s.That might be true, I tend to disagree, since the stronger of the species which he was, would have breed through creating a stronger herd, but to me it was still more trophy or sport hunting more then really hunting for meat since almost all hunters know that Does are better eating. Either way heck of a shot congrats, just not my cup of tea.

bluedawn 6 years, 2 months ago

For some of the sceptics on this deer. I just copied this off of the Boone and Crockett website on Mr. Christies deer.I can't believe he didn't cape out the deer and have it mounted instead of cutting the rack off!! I'd rather have the full deal on my wall.Chad Christie 2008 Baldwin City Kansas January 26, 2009 UPDATE: 1/26/2009 Trophy Watch has been told that this buck's unofficial gross score is 241 B&C taken near Baldwin Kansas. The current state record for non-typical whitetail deer from Kansas is a buck taken in Shawnee County in 1987 by Joseph H. Waters scoring 280 4/8 B&C. 12/12/2008: This is all we have at this point. This photo and the buck reportedly taken near Baldwin, Kansas.