Archive for Monday, December 22, 2008

Former Baldwin City woman sentenced for sodomy, endangering a child

December 22, 2008, 5:14 p.m. Updated December 23, 2008, 9:53 a.m.

A former Baldwin City woman was sentenced to 13 years in prison Monday for aggravated criminal sodomy and aggravated endangering a child, prosecutors said.

Aime Mitchell, 29, pleaded guilty on May 7 to the charges, a spokeswoman for Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson's office said. Felony charges of aggravated indecent liberties with a child and sexual exploitation of a child were dropped.

Mitchell had faced 25 years to life in prison, but District Judge Jack Murphy granted a motion for downward departure, said Cheryl Wright, Branson's spokeswoman. Mitchell will spend three years on parole after her prison sentence.

The case involved Mitchell's 3-year-old son and a 14-year-old girl.

A previous version of this story inaccurately stated Mitchell would spend three years on probation and listed incorrect charges.

Comments

Puff_Dragon 6 years ago

That's very informative Jesse. geez.....

M. Lindeman 6 years ago

A THREE YEAR OLD? She should never see freedom ever again!!!!!!

Strontius 6 years ago

Puff is right. There's very little information here.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years ago

what do you guys want...? details of what went on?if so... it's none of your business... and more than a little sick that you who want that...

stuckinthemiddle 6 years ago

you "would" want that... not "who"...

notajayhawk 6 years ago

M. Lindeman 6 years ago

notajayhawk (Anonymous) says… They're right, more details would be appropriate. If I recall, the woman was not the perpetrator. I'm not defending her, allowing it to happen is still awful, but not exactly the same thing.BS!!! If you knowingly allow something like that to accure involving your child, or any child. Your just as guility as if you were commiting act. Freedom is something you should never experence again, EVER

redmoonrising 6 years ago

Your own 3-year-old son! More than enough info for me.

Christine Anderson 6 years ago

I am sick to death of Branson handing out deals that give criminals less punishment than they deserve!!In cases of sex crimes against children, (OR those who due to disabilities cannot protect themselves) there should be no room for leniency! My sister( we had the same dad-different moms) and her sisters were horribly abused sexually by their step-father. Their mother knew about it for years, and did nothing. Yes, this makes her every bit as guilty as the "direct" perpetrator.

sarahsmilehawk 6 years ago

That doesn't make any sense. This woman should go to jail for a long, long time. But abusing a child and allowing a child to be abused just aren't the same thing. Sometimes mothers are in a situation where they honestly feel they can't stop the abuse because they are also afraid of the abuser. I'm not defending this lady at all. But if she gets 13 years, the "direct" perpetrator better get 20 because his actions were even more depraved and did even more damage. At any rate, I hope the victims are in good hands now.

curious2 5 years, 12 months ago

RDragon & BD...agreed!I am disgusted! And for bytchywitchy...we're you involved? how do you know there is more to the story and more involved, I find no room in my heart for this sick woman or "others involved" this is horrible and how do you know these children will over come this, who are you to assume this much! Put this woman away, I am so disgusted by this story, I dont want details, I have heard enough!!!

gusto2002 5 years, 12 months ago

That B%$#H needs a one way boat ride.....

black_butterfly 5 years, 12 months ago

I agree with Curious. Bytchywitchy must be her relative or something. The other person involved was another minor child, 14 yes, but still a minor. The 14 year old may have the mind of a 3 yr old or have been a victim of sexual abuse herself. It is up to the adults to watch their children and protect them from things like this. I don't want or need more information. Anyone allowing that sick behavior should be burried under the jail.

Motivation 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes. But first we have to get rid of family court judges...like Shephard, that give children consistently back to mentally disturbed and drug-addicted mothers over placing the child with other stable family members that provide better care.Yes, I'm salty. But the fact is, as long as you continue to support the parents messing up, the less you can depend on them ever getting the help they need to be responsible parents. It kinda starts with the justice system, huh? I definitely agree this woman should be sent to prison for a seriously long time.