Archive for Friday, December 19, 2008

Delaware Street shooter sentenced to more than 14 years for June murder

Mother of one victim tells court: ‘The whole world lost something’

Defendant Kellam Jones turns to listen as Heather Hein reads a prepared speech about her son Roland Klundt in Judge Michael Malone's Division IV courtroom on Friday. Jones, who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the shooting death of Baker University student Roland Klundt, 20, on June 7, was sentenced to fourteen years and two months.

December 19, 2008, 10:08 a.m. Updated December 19, 2008, 5:30 p.m.

Teen sentenced to 14+ years for double homicide

A Lawrence teenager will spend more than 14 years in prison for his role in a double homicide in June. Enlarge video

Judge Michael Malone listens to a speech prepared by Sid Klundt, father of Roland Klundt.

Sid Klundt, father of Roland Klundt, takes a moment as he reads a prepared speech about the life of his son during Friday's sentencing of Kellam Jones.

A Lawrence teenager was sentenced Friday morning to more than 14 years in prison for his role in a June 7 double homicide.

Kellam Jones, 17, admitted that he killed 20-year-old Baker University student Roland Klundt during an overnight robbery attempt in an east Lawrence neighborhood.

Jones said he fired approximately eight shots from a semi-automatic rifle, hitting and killing Klundt. That was after Klundt had shot and killed Jones’ accomplice, 18-year-old Gage Hauk, McLouth, who was armed with an air pistol.

Dressed in a red jail uniform, Jones looked down at a table and wiped tears from his eyes as Klundt’s parents talked about their son’s life and his death.

“The whole world lost something when he was killed,” said Heather Hein, Klundt’s mother.

“His potential … will never be known because of all the selfish, self-centered, non-remorseful criminal acts of Kellam Jones,” said Sid Klundt, the victim’s father.

After the family’s remarks, Douglas County District Judge Michael Malone took a short recess and returned to hand down the maximum sentence allowed under Kansas Sentencing Guidelines to Jones, despite a plea deal that requested lesser time.

As part of the deal, in which Jones pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, attempted aggravated robbery and attempted aggravated burglary on Nov. 13, prosecutors requested a standard prison sentence of 13 years and five months.

Malone increased that sentence by seven months Friday morning.

Prosecutors said Jones, who was 16 at the time of the crime, shot Klundt in the neck and face, when Hauk and Jones went to Klundt’s home, 1311 Del., to rob him of drugs and money.

On Friday, Jones expressed remorse for his actions.

“I believe there’s nothing I can say to justify my actions or show how I feel,” he said in court. “I’d just like to apologize to the family for everything.”

Jones, who has no prior criminal record, was charged as an adult with aggravated robbery and felony first-degree murder in the case and would have faced 20 years to life in prison if convicted of the murder charge. But District Attorney Charles Branson said it was possible a jury could have found Jones guilty of lesser charges and that the plea deal guaranteed Jones would spend significant time in prison.

As part of the deal, prosecutors said they wouldn’t file additional charges against Jones for a robbery and burglary attempt that reportedly occurred at the house a week before. He also will not face a misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge.

Jones was represented by Julia Spainhour, a defense attorney of the Northeast Kansas Conflict Office. The case was prosecuted by Branson and Assistant District Attorney Deborah Moody.

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 11 months ago

17 years old, and going to prison for killing someone. What else can we do with someone like this? He will be a changed man when/if he gets out of prison, one way or the other.

flux 5 years, 11 months ago

nobody wins in this situation.......it is what it is.

John Hamm 5 years, 11 months ago

Ohhhhhhhh (pronounced as in u) 14 years for murder. Lessee he's 17 now so he'll be out and able to proceed with his self-destructive (and murderous) ways at age 31. There's something wrong here and it ain't me.

areyouserious 5 years, 11 months ago

so I think we all can say once again........Justice was not served..........Thanks D.A.......those initials have new meaning! Another waste of space will be back on the streets in 14 years because you have no balls!

maxcrabb 5 years, 11 months ago

Really... none of you think that after watching his friend die, killing a man, and going to prison for 17 years, disappointing his friends and family and witnessing the pain and suffering he cause others, this guy won't be different in the least?I would say he has a better chance of becoming a better and more responsible person now than if he had never been caught in the first place.Obviously this is a horrible situation and no one wins, but at least one life has the chance to be turned around and saved from a life of crime.

another_right_wing_nut 5 years, 11 months ago

@maxcrabb:I am sure you would have the same feelings if it were a family member or close friend, right?The fact of the matter is that he took another life via a senseless act of violence.Make an example of him by putting him away for life. Tell any other would-be thugs that we [Lawrence] are serious about murder.ARWN

Quigly 5 years, 11 months ago

mmmmmm, I wish I could taste those sweet tears of misery coming down his face. 17 years? No Way. LIFE!! Oh and hey that's great, "Obviously this is a horrible situation and no one wins, but at least one life has the chance to be turned around and saved from a life of crime." So am I getting this right? Who exactly is going to be saved? The murderer? And what makes any one person here think that prison will save him. He needs to die like the others.

southernjayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

maxcrabb-One would hope that this guy could become a productive member of society but you would be very niave to believe that he will be any thing other than a hardened criminal when he leaves prison in several years.

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 11 months ago

Maxcrabb - I agree. Jones clearly feels remorse for the life he took, as I'm sure Klundt would feel for the life he took before he died. The circumstances of the entire situation show that none, neither Jones nor the dead, were really contributing much to society in a positive way. I think the biggest issue isn't arguing over whether the prison sentence was enough, but rather the fact that we all know he won't really be rehabilitating in prison, because our prison system doesn't rehabilitate people. Let's just hope Jones is able to separate himself from those in prison who would turn him into a monster for life.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

No winners and lots of losers, I think the picture of Judge Malone sums it all up. I am not sure you could pay me enough to hear just this one case and yet he deals with these kinds of things everyday, involving hundreds of people. Jaded? I would be, yet there is only sadness in his face.Think of it, nothing can bring back those kids and no quantum of punishment is enough. Even worse no amount of leniency and forgiveness will ever assure this 17 year old would turn his life around. Balancing revenge and mercy and in the end 14 years out of a possible 20 in prison substitutes for justice, and the whole damn thing is such a waste.

monkeyspunk 5 years, 11 months ago

Sad day, as now a third life is ruined or destroyed.The system has failed us. In 14 years he will be released and will not be able to integrate into society. History tells us that the system is not set up to help those who have served their time readjust. In 14 years he will be worse than he is now, much worse. He will most likely be addicted to harder drugs and unemployable. What then?Two choices the way I see it. Put him away forever, or don't put him away. After taking the facts of the case in consideration, the fact that it was a shootout, the fact that it was his first offense and the fact that all parties were involved in some sort of illegal activity, I say get this young man the help he needs to become a meaningful member of society with the caveat that any further criminal activity will result in life in prison. Make the effort NOW, because in 14 years, its going to be damn near impossible and society as a whole will suffer.End the ignorant prohibition on drugs, and stuff like this doesn't happen.

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 11 months ago

He was after the drugs (marijuana) that the other thug had in his house, according to all the articles on the matter.

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 11 months ago

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 11 months ago

Right cait! They all had guns and they all did drugs and they were all willing to kill (as all gun owners are). They were also all children. I realize 16 and 20 sound so grown up, but I'm not that far from there and so I'm able to look back and recognize just how little I knew, as well as recognize just how little I still know. These boys clearly all had a lot of growing up to do. Now none of them will. It's tragic any way you spell it out.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 11 months ago

monkeyspunka lot of vengeful folks here driven by fear...I happen to agree with you 100%

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 11 months ago

Hey Defender - You might want to check yourself before you jump to so many conclusions you fall off a cliff. Read my statement again - it says, "they were all willing to kill (as all gun owners are)." Nothing about anyone being a "murderer" in there at all. Not one da*n thing. Sure, that's a blanket statement and if I could revise it I would leave gun "collectors" out of it. But in general, most people who own guns own them with a willingness to kill - whether it be a deer or a robber in the middle of the night. And that's a FACT. You look foolish and you're also off topic.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

rachaelisacancer (Anonymous) says… "They all had guns and they all did drugs and they were all willing to kill (as all gun owners are)."As a gun owner (not collector) let me assure you and everyone here, anyone who breaks into my house in the middle of the night and I will do my best to double tap. You want to avoid that tragedy? Then don't break into my home.

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 11 months ago

More power to you, Sigmund. That's what the 2nd Amendment is for, as far as we've interpreted to this day. Although it could be something more like this: http://www.bustedtees.com/secondamendment

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 11 months ago

~chuckle~thanks rachael... that is too damn funny...

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 11 months ago

by the way, Sigmund...do you have a wife and or kids there at your house? would you really want to start a shootout with them around?it's just a what-if and worth little or nothing...but I can't help but wonder what if Roland hadn't had a gun?I think there is a good chance he'd still be alive...

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 11 months ago

Rachel lost? Good thing I'm RachAel. People on this forum seem to have a really hard time reading what's right in front of them, you being a case in point. I explained very clearly what I meant (reference - "most people who own guns own them with a willingness to kill - whether it be a deer or a robber in the middle of the night") and you're still up to your own agenda. You want to believe I'm secretly implying something and I'm out to get you and your guns and call you a murderer? Go ahead. As noted in my response to Sigmund, I support the 2nd Amendment and the right of people to defend their lives and their property. I didn't call anyone a murderer and as it doesn't pertain to the discussion at hand, I won't. I don't like guns but hey, that doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about here. You still look foolish and you're still off topic.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

another right wing nut: "I am sure you would have the same feelings if it were a family member or close friend, right?"I am a family member (through marriage), and I can second some of the things maxcrabb said. A longer sentence and him never setting foot outside of prison again will not bring Roland back or really quiet anyone's need for vengeance. The sentence is hopefully fair enough to help bring the family closure, and long enough to punish and at least allow for rehabilitation, should he desire to take it. This is, of course, just my opinion. I'd not presume to speak for the rest of the family.

HighScore 5 years, 11 months ago

A double tap is a shooting technique where two shots are fired quickly at the same target. The term hammer is sometimes used to describe a double tap in which the firearm's sights are not reacquired by the shooter between shots. The US Army has come to prefer the term "controlled pair" instead of double tap.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 11 months ago

thank you, HighScore... I'd never heard the terminology...

maxcrabb 5 years, 11 months ago

Just a general response to everyone from my first comment.I think he should go to jail, too. I never said he would become a better person for it, I said there was a chance, and that's all we can hope for.Everyone seems to want to hate this guy and see him thrown off the face of the earth.I'd rather look him in the eye and make sure he understands what he did, and why it was wrong. And then try all I could do make him accountable for his actions from then on. That doesn't take a bunch of commentators on an online news story, it takes friends, family, and a community that wants to help, rather than make someone into an outcast.Yes, he did something wrong. No, we should not just leave him to rot. There are people like him that haven't crossed the line but will someday, and understanding those that have will help prevent those that will.And while I'm not spiritual in any way, I would think a lot of religions that preach forgiveness and understanding would be on the same side.

Danimal 5 years, 11 months ago

I'd have to chime in and say that Rachael is the one that is off topic. This was about murder and in the inadequacies of the legal system, not 2nd Amendment rights. You are clearly anti-gun, and will take any opportunity that you can to air your views. I think that the important thing to remember here is that neither of the participants in this crime were legal gun owners since they were minors. I still can't believe that a 16 year old who was old enough to make a decision to rob someone, and then make a decision that it would probably be a good idea to take a gun along, and then make a decision to use that gun, is only getting 14 years. When this kid gets out he'll be a very twisted man, and he will kill again.

maxcrabb 5 years, 11 months ago

And I'm sorry about not being able to respond to each individual, but I don't want you to think I disagree with any of you. This is a complicated issue, with lots of emotions involved. Throwing names at each other and using this story to just further personal disputes is petty.I'm not saying that is what's going on, but it always seems to happen sooner or later on any of these posts. So I've stopped using peoples specific names when disagreeing with an idea. Sort of a "Don't kill the messenger" thing?

rachaelisacancer 5 years, 11 months ago

Just gotta say what I said before: It's tragic any way you spell it out. And Danimal, if you'd bothered to read through you would have noticed it was not me who brought up the Second Amendment nor me who went off topic. I spoke of all the parties' willingness to break the law with drugs and their willingness to kill, which is clear and evident by the two graves now holding the remains of two young men.But you make a very relevant point by noting that one of the three involved was under the legal age to have guns in the first place. (It's 18, right, not 21? So Klundt and Hauk would have been OK, right?) Your two cents matter just as much as mine.

jayhawk10 5 years, 11 months ago

14 years. WTF. how about the dealth penalty

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

Honestly, 17 years old with no priors, 14 years is about right. Does anyone think going to trial and saying he killed a drug dealer while trying to rob him would get him less time? And also, I think being white does not help you at all in Lansing.

OwlHead 5 years, 11 months ago

Legalize. Industrial hemp production is the key to our nation's energy concerns. Kansas would not need to worry about funding government programs if it grew hemp.By the way. An eye for an eye.I am willing to shoot any fool who tries to rob my family or my personal property.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

stuckinthemiddle (Anonymous) says… "by the way, Sigmund…do you have a wife and or kids there at your house? would you really want to start a shootout with them around?"As opposed to what? Let someone in break into my home who is armed? My preference is that these morons think of the danger to themselves at my home and have them move on down to easier targets like you and Rachael.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

monkeyspunk (Anonymous) says… "Sad day, as now a third life is ruined or destroyed."Lets not forget the damage to the family and friends of all three of these men or discount to deeply the contribution they could have made to their community had they not made the choices they did. It is just such a huge waste of human potential so early in their lives. I have no problem with Malone's sentence in this case, there is just not a lot else that he or anyone could do after the fact.

lawthing 5 years, 11 months ago

14 years is a very long time for a young person to sit in a cage.There are things worse than death, and prison can be one of those things.

pissedinlawrence 5 years, 11 months ago

Wow, he killed a man and only got 14 years, if he serves his full sentence he'll only be 31 when he gets out, but more than likey he will get out when he is 25. He took another young mans life, he should have received life in prison.

lee 5 years, 11 months ago

Look at this kid. He is going to be beat, raped, and made into some ones houseboy for the next 17 years. I doubt he comes out hardened but rather as a mental case,if he doesn't commit suicide first. I would rather die.

XEPCT 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree with Max. I understand why people close to the situation might want to throw away the keys, but in America this would be cruel and unusual punishment, considering the circumstances. Also, I find it very hard to believe Mr. Klundt was dealing exclusively marijuana; it might be a touchy subject for the same people whom are close to the situation, but anyone care to enlighten us on what else he dealt? It might help those readers at the experimenting stage of their lives think about what to steer clear of. That's the only reason I ask.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 11 months ago

To all those screaming for life for the kid criminal: I think you are ignoring some pretty key specifics. Both of the would be robbers were running away (as the shootings happened out back), and one of them was armed with an air pistol, which should indicate that these kids had little to no intention of using their weapons, and in fact did not use said weapon until the "victim" opened fire himself and killed one of the perpetrators. I believe it is pretty rare for someone not convicted of a pre-meditated murder to get life without parole. Also, I see some people are referring to this as tragic or a tragedy. Um...no. Once again, just because someone dies, it does not automatically qualify as a tragedy. ALL of these kids put themselves in horrible situations and environments that carry a risk of bodily harm or death. I just cannot feel too badly for someone who willfully puts themselves in these situations. Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. As for this bit: "The whole world lost something...." Right...and that would be two drugged out criminals (one who has a chance to return) and a drug dealer who was not smart enough to not deal from his home. Doesn't sound like a loss to me.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 5 years, 11 months ago

At 31 he'll be in the prime years of his life for committing many, many, many more crimes. I'm beginning to think if you screw up this badly this early on that we just need to put you down permanently before you do us even more damage.

conservativepunker 5 years, 11 months ago

I just don't understand what makes these kids all want to be "Gangsta".....to me, there's no glamour in it, nothing to be proud of....

maxcrabb 5 years, 11 months ago

OK, I can see i'm in the minority here.I just want to tell this little story, and then i'll be done with this thread.See, it's about this guy, who's said to have lived on earth about 2000 years ago. This guy had some interesting ideas, and the people in power weren't about to have some crazy guy going around converting everyone to some "new" craze called God... So they nailed him to a cross and left him to die. And instead of being angry, or wanting revenge, he simply looked towards the sky and asked his Father to forgive them. All of them...But that's just what I've heard.

murphy43 5 years, 11 months ago

I have read and re read all of the comments posted. First of all I am suprised some of them have not been removed. Way to go LJW for allowing some of the comments that are against the policy.Second of all: I don't know this young man. However he has a long life ahead of him. Not only because he is going to prison. The fact that he shot and killed a person will stay with him forever. That alone is going to mess with his mental state. The family that lost their loved ones: Let them Grieve in Peace. The last thing they need to read is the ongoing negative comments.As for the comment about Lansing Correctional Facility: The only way you would no if White people don't do well there. Is if you have been there, had a loved one there etc.I think we need to stop and think about all the crime that has been taking place in Lawrence. It has risen so much in 2008. Come on the Economy is not doing good: Lets try to think positive and post something worth reading.Happy Holidays!

marcdeveraux 5 years, 11 months ago

If there were no drugs involved, these guys would be stealing lawnmowers and your t.v.You should be happy they are preying on each other ,rather than you.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

maxcrabb there is one person who agrees with you. The real test of character is when something happens to us or our family, and not just in theory. I believe that the fact that Jones fired after seeing his friend shot should be a mitigating factor. But home owners have the right to defend themselves against an armed intruder, which is where the two made their big mistake. Armed robbery is always more serious. Here is a story. A rich man decided to give away his wealth and become a monk. He was told he would have to prove his ability to do this. He said okay. One day he had scrubbed the kitchen and dining room floors and they looked nice. Another monk came in and tossed a pail on garbage on the floor. The would be monk punched him in the nose. He was told that he was not ready.

BaxterC 5 years, 11 months ago

Stop bickering and let the facts be facts, this is a tragedy that has caused a wave of grief for all people involved and the rehabilitation or lack there of of this man is really none of your business as you did not attend the court and you do not know the victims involved. No one cares to hear your perspective on events or your criticisms of the case. It is done and over with. Debate on this situation, no matter how you feel about the result, is now useless. There are still many families grieving over their loses. So you ALL need to move on.

maxcrabb 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Multi, you did fine the second time.Sorry to hear about your families circumstances. It's unfortunate that situations like these always seem to highlight parallels within our own lives. Sometimes I just don't know what to say...

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry you had to go through that Multi. As usual, your post says it all.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 11 months ago

I do think the punishment is just. I just feel it is so horrible-the paths that all three of these young men chose for themselves. Now two are dead, and the third may as well be. Spent a very long three months working as a jail nurse. Inmates raped by other inmates every day. Jones will be extremely lucky if he does not get shived, raped, or worse.If prison is just too awful, there are plenty of drugs there to chose from if an inmate chooses to take himself out.What are Jones' chances of surviving his sentence? Hmmm.Well, aside from the inmate-to-inmate rape factor, drug dealers and murderers get more respect in prison culture than child rapists or freaks that sodomize mentally disabled persons. The highest on the social ladder there are mafia. Then come the drug dealers who had the biggest businesses. Jones was trying to steal some weed, and ended up killing instead. Probably puts him somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy.

whitster 5 years, 11 months ago

Although he shouldn't have been in the situation in the first place, I do feel sad for him. I honestly can say that if I WERE to do a stupid act of thievery, and the owner of the home shot and killed my friend...it would be instinct to me to shoot back. A crazy idea that got out of hand, and I think its horrible. Too many lives lost, or interrupted, all for drugs. I think the sentence is appropriate. Shame, guilt, sadness, embarrassment, and many other emotions combined, is worse than the 14 years in jail...those feelings never go away. I'm sorry to all parties involved.

beatrice 5 years, 11 months ago

If you use a gun to commit a crime, you should get 17 years in prison. If you kill someone with the aid of a gun while committing a crime, you should get a mandatory life sentence and possibly even the death sentence. This "boy" should not leave prison unless in a pine box. It is time to make using guns illegally a very serious crime with many years of mandatory jail time.

sweetone 5 years, 11 months ago

As i read all of this i knew Kelly and let me tell you its the way you are raised and he is a good boy that got with the wrong crowd, instead of putting him in a prision he should of gone to like a place called Learnerd juvenile prision to where he can actually get help, and not have happen what is going to happen there to him when he gets there, it makes me sick on what happens to fresh meat there so so so sad and that is not considered justice. Yea he did wrong but lets rehabilitate him.

dorothy 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, judging by the majority of these blog entries, it is clear there are very few christians on here, so I am probably out of place by being here, but I felt the need to let all of you who post these mean, hurtful things on here know that you are only hurting all three of these families by your comments. None of the three individuals actually involved will ever read your comments, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish, unless you just want to hurt innocent people who are already hurting? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. And I hope you are all perfect in every way, because you can not expect to be forgiven for your own sins, as big or small as they may be, having these kinds of attitudes. It just doesn't work that way. A lot of you may want to check your own lives, because I have a feeling I will be seeing Gage, Kellam, and Roland in heaven someday, but not most of you. The Lord works in mysterious ways, and there were lessons to be learned by all here, not just these three boys. The biggest lessons of all, were probably not even intended for them.

itisjustme 5 years, 10 months ago

i think that 90% percent of the people making comments dont know what the heck they are talking about. You guys dont know the boys! like you all i dont know them all.. i only know one of them. he was a smart bright man who was a good father. this goes to show how anger, smokin a little weed, and arguments, with a few bad decisions can alter/end your life. and let the one with out sin cast the first stone. havent we all learned that from childhood. I dont want to hear any one on the dang blog talking about how bad they were.. and put them into a stereotype.. if i were to put gage into a stereotype it would be this one "one man that loved his daughter, his mom, his little brothers, he loved to have fun and stand out." so dont forget you guys that have no idea what really happen and who they were.. you dont know what really happen you just know about "the crime the lawrence police figured out in 12 hours" the crime that all the information given to the police is the crook who is responcible! keep your crooked comments to your self until you find out what really happen that night!