Archive for Tuesday, December 16, 2008

List of events affected by weather

Snow will continue to fall through the morning, and begin to taper off by noon. We'll end up with 2 to 4 inches total across the area, and we should hit a high of 17 today with East winds of 5-10 mph. Tonight will be mostly cloudy with calm winds and an overnight low of 14.

December 16, 2008, 12:48 a.m. Updated December 16, 2008, 3:37 p.m.

Lawrence High School boys and girls C-team basketball practices for this evening canceled. Boys and girls JV and Varsity will practice immediately after school. Boys in the east gym and girls in the west gym.

Tuesday night's Breastfeeding Your Baby class at Lawrence Memorial Hospital is canceled.

The Lawrence Arts Center canceling all late afternoon and evening classes.

The Central Junior High ninth grade boys' and girls' basketball games scheduled for Dec. 17 at Patton Junior High have been canceled. The games have been rescheduled for Jan. 22 and will be held at Central Junior High.

The Central Junior High ninth grade girls' basketball game at Shawnee Heights for today is cancelled. It has not been rescheduled yet.

All Atrium sessions at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church are canceled for Tuesday night.

The South Junior High city wrestling quad originally set for 3:30 today has been moved up to 2:30 pm.

The Free State girls' varsity and junior varsity basketball games against Topeka High have been postponed.

Lawrence Parkinson's support group Christmas party is canceled.

USD 464 Tonganoxie, USD 343 Perry-Lecompton, USD 341 Oskaloosa, USD 458 Basehor-Linwood, USD 342 McLouth, schools are closed, due to inclement weather.

We'll keep you updated on other closings on LJWorld.com

Comments

tyger_lily 6 years ago

Basehor-Linwood USD 458 closed as well

nannette 6 years ago

ok so where are all of the other school closings? anything on local schools yet?

nannette 6 years ago

thanks thhoops69... at least someone is on top of things

Melanie Birge 6 years ago

Well my kids are staying home, I wont be out gathering them early from school because it will be worse later.

BBFantastic 6 years ago

Mine too. No sense in sending them when it'll be that much harder to pick them up later in the day!

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years ago

Thanks Lawrence for letting me put me and my childs life in danger this morning. Gotta get those finals in, huh? The roads are treacherous out here in the country, be careful. I am worried about the young less experienced drivers.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

mine not going no way road crews can keep up so why risk it.

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years ago

unfortunately I teach at a preschool that is open when Lawrence is. Hopefully we don't end up in the ditch since it is 8 degrees here. I am not happy about this.

booze_buds_03 6 years ago

The roads are not bad. Just drive slow and grow a pair.

Susan Mangan 6 years ago

Maybe we need to go back to big inefficient 4X4's if this is the reaction to one inch of snow. They're forecasting 2 to 4 inches...not a blizzard. Lawrence isn't risking anyone's life...neither is Topeka, Leavenworth, KCK, or Johnson County. Get a grip.

canusayduh 6 years ago

ok, yes its snowing. hello?! i'm at work, roads weren't that bad if you didn't go 50 mph. as for the younger drivers? don't let 'em drive! i didn't let my teenager drive today. as a parent, you can say NO! also as a parent, it's your prerogative to keep them home from school if you so choose. people will complain either way, whether they call school or not. lawrence is never happy!

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years ago

u wanna come pick me up? Highway 24 stinks in this weather.

MrMosmo 6 years ago

Seriously people its just snow. Not even the wet mush kid either it is very powdery.

misseve 6 years ago

As usual everyone but Lawrence is closed...

Rex Russell 6 years ago

I honestly cannot believe what wusses people are on the eastern part of this state. You will close down school with a half inch of snow. I grew up in central Kansas for 25 years. Closed school maybe 2 times in 4 years in high school. Snows 5 times this much on a regular basis there. No offense tended to anyone but, I moved to Lawrence 18 years ago and my wife and I always have a laugh when it snows just a powdering. We always picture some school administrator biting his nails worrying. People in Colorado go to school all the time. How do they do it, do you think ? We should do some research on it.

luvtocamp 6 years ago

I drive a school bus for a small town near by and we had 3 busses down yesterday. They (who ever calls off school) really needs to look at the temp outside and not just the condition of the roads. I do have kids that wait at stops; not the comfort of their homes. I hope all the kids that have to go to school today return home tonight safe and sound.

luvtocamp 6 years ago

tj the trucks are going to the roads that they are to clean.

Susan Mangan 6 years ago

"It's so treacherous out there that I almost couldn't drink my coffee while I drove!" ROFL. Now that's funny!Seriously, Lawrence road crews have sucked for years...so drive slower. You're only endangering kids' lives if you're driving too da*n fast.Thanks for the laugh, though.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

well you may say the roads are fine but no they are not there is snow on them therefore they are not fine. When you take in to account for dumb people who think driving at normal speed is cool then realize to late they made a mistake it could be to late and someone could be dead. Me and My kid are staying home I know my car can not get around hubby forgot to put the new tires on so better safe than sorry.

MrMosmo 6 years ago

My guess on the trucks not doing anything was they were probably headed to the start of their route. They most likely have a specific route they plow to make sure they get all the roads basied on some priority the city has.

termtech215 6 years ago

Keep in mind that the schools that are closed are primarily rural. I know in our school district more than 75% of the kids ride a bus, probably 30% for at least 1/2 an hour or longer. With the combination of snow, with the possibility of more AND drifting/blowing snow, plus the subzero windchills, it is a liabilty for kids to be on a school bus that could go into a ditch more easily while on a gravel road, or to be waiting for one. As for teenagers, they should not be driving either. I know mine wouldn't be if they had not canceled school.

triplegoddess13 6 years ago

It's called Kansas in winter people. And it isn't even a very big snow. Yes there will be snow on the street but it's called being a cautious driver. If you have to get out then use your brain when you drive but if you don't have to get out then don't.

buddy2me 6 years ago

There are more schools open than just Lawrence. Baldwin is still going and the roads were bad getting there, but if you take your time and use a little common sense, you will not have a problem.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

that has been my point. I seen to many drivers not being smart or careful and sure as heck do not have common sense to want to even try to drive. I no snow bunny can not drive on snow so I am gonna stay in my warm bunny hole.

misseve 6 years ago

I just drove my kid to school and its just SNOW, not ice, not freezing rain, we should be happy its not what happened a couple of years ago when it was icy and they waited until we were sending our kids to school BEFORE canceling... REMEMBER THAT? Its just frigging snow. once again Lawrence is the last to call off school but then again its just snow.

Susan Mangan 6 years ago

Tj - I really agreed with your comments about taxes and our road crews, wholeheartedly, but your comment struck me as so funny.Off to take the kid to school! Everyone be careful and enjoy the beauty before it turns into brown slushy mush.

juscin3 6 years ago

LOL Love how the video up top shows the weather man with his mouth open. LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW...P.S. Don't eat the yellow snow! EWWWWWW

LawmomX3 6 years ago

Oh come on people, it's snow. I just drove the turnpike and as long as you are smart you are fine. It's my opinion they are always to quick to close schools... Be smart and you will be fine..

luvtocamp 6 years ago

So it true...remember when you were first learning to drive and your parents always said " we trust your driving, its everyone else we dont trust" so true today...we can be as careful as we want. It will be some stupid ass trying to be cool and swipe the side of our cars! Be safe everyone!f Happy Holidays

hail2oldku 6 years ago

If you are going to use the reason of people driving like idiots for not sending your kids to school then you may as well homeschool. There are always people out there driving too stupid for whatever the condition is, including sunny and dry.

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

Do I have to clean my sidewalk? It is too cold.

MrMosmo 6 years ago

hail2oldku I totally agree I have seen people drive down Lousianna street doing 40 or 50 through the school zone when the lights are flashing. Doesn't matter if the roads are dry or wet the idiots are out there and alot of them are driving. We have to teach our kids to be extra careful all the time.

Danielle Brunin 6 years ago

Topeka's roads are in better shape? Ha! They are worse than Lawrence this morning, and that is saying something because Lawrence streets sucked this morning.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

so when the freezing rain going to get here?

buddy2me 6 years ago

i totally agree with hail2oldku, there are idiots on our Lawrence streets every day of the week. I have already been to Baldwin and back to Lawrence, the streets aren't that bad, and people seem to be using their heads. This isn't going to be the storm of the century. Last Tuesday we drove to Garnett for a basketball game. The games around here were canceled and there was a lot more snow south last week than here. Too many people start freaking out about the weather way too quick here. When I went to school, we had a lot more snow than we do now, and we didn't have school canceled on a small snow like this one.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

more than happy to due as wish informed. But if i had better tires on I would have taken my kid to school would not have liked it you know standing in the freezing cold and cleaning the car, but she would have had to go but bad tires = no driving so i get to stay warm in my bunny hole.

FarneyMac 6 years ago

What a bunch of whiners. It's a couple inches of snow.Bunch of overprotective, coddling parents out there today.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

not bald tires just not made for other things not snow.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

whatatown 6 years ago

Wow...I do have to say that a lot of people are babies about this weather. I hate it as much as the next, but it sure is possible to get around! Just leave early, give yourself extra time, slow speeds, and plenty of room to stop. Don't slam on your brakes- pump them. If people are so worried about a little bit of snow, well, I hate to see what happens when the ice hits. Better stock up on soup and water because apparently some negative weather is close enough in some peoples minds to a bombing. Don't go outside, keep your children safe at your bosom...it's...white flakes falling from the sky!!!!!!! Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale Stringer 6 years ago

RRussel - didn't you know that the closer to Florida you live, the more wussie your state is. We used to live in North Dakota and the kids would have outdoor recess until the temp or wind chill temp got to minus 20.

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

Cleopatra--- Snow and sidewalks just don't mix. Oh well, here I go - to shovel snow. Be back this afternoon ( I used to work for the city)

tvf2k 6 years ago

These slick roads make ALMOST impossible for me to text and sip coffee while I drive. Oh wait, that's not me, it's the scores of fools passing me on K10.

mom_of_three 6 years ago

I think what some of the more cautious parents are saying that with the snow, combined with the very frigid temperatures, it was surprising school wasn't cancelled. It took me almost half an hour to make my normally 10 minute drive to work. The tires spun, the roads were messy, and I had some difficulties negotiating hills. Don't know how the KU busses make it up the big hill. Living in Kansas my entire life, I know how to drive in this weather, but maybe the school district is being cautious.

ForThePeople 6 years ago

Roads aren't bad, it's the idiots that should just stay home that make for the messes out there. It really irks me when not one, but two dummies get stuck in both lanes going up Kasold. For god's sake people, if you're that scared, just stay home, so the rest of us can go about our business without having to detour around every fricking hill because some wuss is too afraid to go fast enough to make it up!!!Don't get me wrong, I'm all about going a safe speed, but geez, you're gonna have to at least step on the gas pedal to get up the hills!

dumas 6 years ago

Spacystaci ...I'm sure you've made it to work by now. But I just wanted to say, perhaps in the future you should use the time spent complaining on the message boards about work not being called off toward giving yourself time to drive to work in a safe way. Cheers!

escargot 6 years ago

I used to live in Lawrence, many years, live in Flordia now, gee its 80 degrees here today lol

countrygirl 6 years ago

Go check out the news about the wreck on the turnpike and tell me the roads aren't bad. The kansas road conditions web site wouldn't agree with you either. The highways north west of Lawrence hadn't been treated at all this morning and were quickly getting snow packed and slick. To those who do have to be out today, please be careful.

trinity 6 years ago

aghhhhhhhhhh the SNOWNAMI has hit! batten down the hatches! agh!seriously...i had a 35 mile (one way) commute to work this morning. i'm southeast of lawrence by about 40 miles. it ain't that bad, folks, if you use common sense&a light foot on both gas AND brake. but hey, for those who are afraid to drive in it, more power to ye-you are definitely better off staying at home!one more thing...my kidlets ALL learned to drive in adverse conditions. lol, i cannot stand those young adults who just either panic or drive like idiots when it is nasty weather. one more thing. ;) sriusly-i can has warm soupz now??? hai thnx!

mom_of_three 6 years ago

for the people - that intersection you mention is giving more than just those two people problems. LJW says it has been hard to navigate all morning, and some cars do better than others. I was spinning tires at the guard tower near Watson library.

weatherguy48 6 years ago

Cleopatra (Anonymous) says…xbusguy, hey guy, grow a pair and shovel. :) Here at Vermont Towers someone is out with one of those snow machines clearing the sidewalks for us old geezers and geezerettes and then putting down salt for the freezing rain and sleet that is coming.Bye the bye, just what is the difference between freezing rain and sleet, does anyone know? Or care?------------------------------Sleet is actual ice pellets falling from the sky. Freezing ran is water that falls from the sky, and freezes on impact with the ground, trees, cars, etc. Freezing rain is the main event in ice storms.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

now don't get me wrong I can and have driven in snow, no big deal but with this car ( husbands hot rod) and tires made for track (1/4 mile) driving in this little bit of snow is not a good idea. If I had my car no problem but hey that is life.

Alison Roberts 6 years ago

why is everyone complaining that schools in Lawrence are still open? The roads are NOT that bad if you take your time and pay attention.

Jaminrawk 6 years ago

If they plow the roads and salt everything and THEN close school tomorrow, I'll be mad. USD 497 never cancels when it makes sense.

lohrewok 6 years ago

I drive a school bus here in town. The roads weren't any picnic but really all you need to do is slow down and drive more defensively. The biggest problems I see are people just going too fast and following too closely. However all the SUV 4 wheel vehicles have a hard time in this snow. Give me a front wheel drive anyday!

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

jamin I hope they do not cancel tom. my daughter has her karate rank test tom. night and if they close school then no test and she will be crushed been working hard to pass.

akt2 6 years ago

Eudora did not close. I would rather have my child in school today. I don't have to try and convince her that it is too cold to go outside or worry about her breaking her neck sledding.

BigAl 6 years ago

lohrewok. I don't know where you saw a 4-wheel drive having problems but comparing a 2 wheel drive car to a 4 wheel just doesn't work. A 4 wheel drive vehicle is going to have better traction than a 2 wheel drive. Front wheel or rear wheel. There is no comparison. Granted, a front wheel drive is better in snow than a rear wheel drive. But, to say that any 2 wheel drive is better than 4 wheel drive simply goes against logic.

trinity 6 years ago

umm, just a thought...but generally, when/if i'm spinning my tires in this stuff? usually means i'm on the gas WAY too hard. ease up folks! let the car/truck kinda creep out of slick places!oh hai thnx for the laffz 2deh! kbai!

LAWnative 6 years ago

Lawrence Public schools did not close because they know what is to come later this week. Anyway, I hate snow days because they have to make them up if there are more than 2 and school gets out AFTER Memorial Day this year! My kids won't want to go any longer than they actually have too!

dgraham 6 years ago

I'm from Missouri and I've lived in Lawrence for 3 yrs. and it amazes me every year that the city DOES NOT get out before the snow. Here a few months ago, the city got all this money to fix the streets, well, they were out about 1 wk and then nothing. So you would think with the money "they saved" they would give a sh..t about the residents. It makes me furious how the city is operated.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

Well we'll be making snow angels at my house. I'd invite you all over but the roads are too bad! :-)

deskboy04 6 years ago

I used to live in Western Kansas and we had blizzards every other day. We never cancelled school. We were tough...all 12 of us!

Confrontation 6 years ago

By the way some of these parents type, I sure hope you don't let your kids miss school! They need the education you obviously didn't get!

greenme 6 years ago

I totally agree, Conf.And to the mother that kept her daughter from school today because it was soooo bad, but doesn't want school canceled tomorrow because of a Karate test --- good to know your priorities are straight.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

No I kept her home because my car can not get around safe with the tires that are on it and tom. night her dad in a safe car can drive her to that class because it is after he is home. Let me see drive her to school and back in a car that is not safe or keep her home? Sure let me take her to school crash my car and who knows how many other peoples cars in the process maybe even throw in some injurys in there for good messure what the heck just as long as it's not you right?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

Oh yeah I never said they should cancel school just that my kid was staying home because of safety reasons.

Boston_Corbett 6 years ago

I am amazed at the amount of whining going on the weather stories today.I for one, having lived other places, am continually amazed at and grateful for the good job done by the Lawrence and KU snow removal crews.

Confrontation 6 years ago

Exactly, T_O_B! I gave up after her first sentence.

BaxterC 6 years ago

Don't blame the LSD, we already knew they suck.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years ago

Oh to be so perfect as you I can only dream.

misseve 6 years ago

Pywacket or whatever your name is unless you DONT turn on YOUR news the KC area posted 156 school closings sooooo there are no voices in my head unless you count the news reporters. Sorry if I count the KC in that EVERYONE statement. So try your insults on someone with thinner skin than me.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

We can't all be balls of sunshine like me.

Danielle Brunin 6 years ago

Wow, people are so grouchy today! Must be the weather...

Christine Anderson 6 years ago

Ha,ha,ha! I want everyone to know it's my fault-I remarked aloud that I missed Wisconsin.I do hope everyone is safe, but people, it was less than 5 inches. Know how much it took to close school up there when I was a kid?(hee,hee,hee)

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

weatherguy48 thanks for the reply. I probably knew but just forgot I knew if you know what I mean. I like the snow when its fluffy and soft, so when you fall down you don't get hurt. I love being around the foreign KU students who have never been around snow and look forward to it. It can be hard trying to explain Kansas weather. I grew up in the Ozarks where we lived in the hills and I had my own sledding hill which I loved. Also an orchard with drifts where I would jump off the lower limbs of the trees and make snow angels. Anyone still make snow ice cream?