Agenda highlights • 6:35 p.m. Tuesday • City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets • Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 • Meeting documents online at www.lawrenceks.org
SmartCode items up for review
City commissioners will consider a host of items related to adopting the Smart Code.
The Smart Code would give developers new options in how to build neighborhoods and commercial developments. Specifically, the code promotes more dense development, and projects that place a premium on walkability. But the proposed code also would significantly change how projects are approved. In general, more parts of the development process would be subject to administrative approval by the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Department rather than receive approval from the Lawrence City Commission.
• Recognition of supporters of 2008 Helmet Fair and Safety House Renovation.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Dec. 2.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Award bid for janitorial services at the Investigations and Training Center to Smart Building Services, for $1,657.66 per month, or $19,892 annually, for up to three years, subject to annual review and renewal.
b.) Award Utilities Department bids for fire hydrants to HD Supply for $87,110 and valves to Water Products for $94,445. Reject bids for tee and anchor coupling fittings and set new bid date of Jan. 13 for tee and anchor coupling fittings.
• Adopt on first reading Ordinance No. 8214, amending the animal control ordinance to allow domesticated hedgehogs as pets within the city limits.
• Adopt on second and final reading Ordinance No. 8324, pertaining to the requirements for the removal of snow or ice from public sidewalks.
• Authorize reimbursement to HDD of Lawrence in the amount of $39,581.25, or 75 percent, of the installation costs of a sprinkler system at 732-734 Mass., pursuant to the 2007 Downtown Fire Sprinkler Incentive Program.
• Authorize the Administrative Services Department to renew coverage provided by Midwest Employers’ Casualty Company for the city’s excess workers’ compensation coverage for the period of Jan. 1, 2009, to Jan. 1, 2010, for an estimated annual premium of $40,608.
• Approve use of right-of-way permits adjacent to 642 and 824 La. for one month, Dec. 10 through Jan. 10, with additional one-month extensions to be considered as needed, provided that any future extension requests must be applied for prior to the expiration of the then current temporary use of right-of-way permit, for the storage of construction materials.
• Receive city manager’s report.
Regular agenda items
• Receive staff report on the structure at 617 W. Fourth St.
• Consider the following items related to Lawrence SmartCode:
a.) Consider approval of CPA-2007-6, a Comprehensive Plan Amendment to Horizon 2020 by creating Chapter 15 – Place Making to ensure proper comprehensive plan language is in place for the proposed Lawrence SmartCode in the city of Lawrence.
b.) Consider approval of CPA-2007-7, a Comprehensive Plan Amendment to Horizon 2020, Chapter 14 — Specific Plans, to add a reference to the Lawrence SmartCode Infill Plan.
c.) Consider adopting Text Amendment TA-11-24-07 regarding the Lawrence SmartCode and, pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. Chapter 12, Article 7, enacting a new Chapter 21 of the city code, establishing comprehensive zoning regulations and other land use regulations.
• Consider the following transit-related items:
a.) Consider authorizing the city manager to enter into a contract with MV Transportation Inc., for public transportation services from Jan. 1, 2009, to Dec. 31, 2013.
b.) Consider authorizing staff to advertise a request for proposals for route and schedule design for coordinated transportation services for the city of Lawrence and Kansas University.
• Receive staff report on economic development issues and policies.