Archive for Friday, December 12, 2008

3-year-old Eudora girl dies while waiting for heart transplant

December 12, 2008

A 3-year-old Eudora girl, who was awaiting a heart transplant at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, died Thursday night.

Isabelle Ellis had been experiencing blood pressure issues during the last couple of days and her need for a transplant became more urgent, according to a Caring Bridge Web journal kept by her father, Chris Ellis.

On Thursday morning, Isabelle went into cardiac arrest and, although doctors were able to stabilize her condition, she died later that evening. Isabelle had a series of complex congenital heart defects called hypoplastic left heart syndrome and had been awaiting a transplant since Oct. 28.

Comments

dolphins4321 5 years, 10 months ago

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Ellis family. Heaven received a true Princess last night! -TG

guesswho 5 years, 10 months ago

May peace be with the family; Please, everyone, consider being an organ donor and encourage your friends and family to do the same. It is too late for this princess, but it may save someone else's life.And, I imagine they could still use donations to help with the medical bills.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I was one of the many people that were praying for a successful transplant. Please know you have a community of people who are mourning your loss with you. I pray that God give you peace during this tough time.

Grundoon Luna 5 years, 10 months ago

I may be wrong, but an adult driver may not be a suitable candidate for a 3 year old recipient (but I don't mean to discourage folks from being organ donors and I feel your intent, Blue dude). Parents need to consider, should the unthinkable happen to their child, do they possess the generosity of spirit to allow their child to live on by saving another childs life? Please say, "Yes!!"

domino 5 years, 10 months ago

Talk with your family and make sure they know your feelings about organ donation. My entire family knows this is something I feel very strongly about - when I'm gone, I don't need it any more and if it can help anyone else, you can have it. My mom, on the other hand, feels very strongly that they can have anything except her heart - I disagree, but if the time comes, I will honor her decision. Make sure you have it marked on your drivers license - have appropriate information in your medical files - both doctors office & hospital, and as Azure said, parents, consider this should the unthinkable happen to one of your children. I've been close to two young people - one 17 the other 19 - who died that their parents donated their organs. Numerous people were helped through what were 2 tragedys. Both families said that knowing their children helped and/or saved the lives of others was huge in getting them thru what would have to be the hardest situation a parent can go thru. Gods peace be with the family!

davidsmom 5 years, 10 months ago

There is one other option besides doing nothing with your body after you die - that is whole-body donation. My husband and I are registered with the KU Med Center Willed Body Program. It is part of the Dept. of Anatomy & Cell Biology, but I have never been able to find it on their web site for some reason. Med students need cadavers in their training and research. Also, KU Med sells them to other med schools when they have more than they need at a particular time. This is typical around the country. It is a very worthwhile program. We had a brief dilemma between organ donation and whole-body donation, but it came down to cost. After KU is finished with the bodies, they cremate them and bury them. The only cost to the donor family is transportation from the site of death to the med school. You save thousands on funeral costs. I could be wrong, but I think that after you donate organs, the family gets the body back and still has to provide for burial. Still, it is a dilemma...

Judgesmails 5 years, 10 months ago

my thoughts are with you and your daughter.how tragic

always4ever 5 years, 10 months ago

Don't take your organs to heaven. Heaven knows we need them here.

yellowhouse 5 years, 10 months ago

My sister died at the age of 10 from a heart defect. She was a part of my life for just a few years,She lives in my heart and memories forever.

morganlefay 5 years, 10 months ago

Bless this child and her family.

yellowhouse 5 years, 10 months ago

ORGAN DONATION POEMWhen life for me has is overAnd I say my last good-byeAlthough I shall be goneDon't let my organs die!I pray God will take my sinsand to the Devil giveAnd doctors take my heart, and any partthat another life may live!Take my soul and my good deedsFor to God I give my best,Then into the earth my empty shellIs all you will lay to rest.I pray the memories and smileswe shared will still live onAnd let me stay in your heartthough in body I will be gone.Do these things I have asked of youYourself you should doubt neverThen know that I will rest in peaceWhile I live with God forever!

rlmtyco 5 years, 10 months ago

I cannot even come close to be able to understand the pain and sadness this family is feeling. I cant imagine how it is to sit there and be helpless to help your 3 year old child, how sad. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

black_butterfly 5 years, 10 months ago

My prayers are with the family. God called his little angel home.

triplegoddess13 5 years, 10 months ago

Even though it wouldn't have helped in this situation but there is also the option of live organ donation. Please also consider that.Thoughts to the family and friends.

redmoonrising 5 years, 10 months ago

One of my children had several brushes with death but he luckily survived and is still with us. I cannot imagine anything worse than losing a child. Just doesn't seems like the natural order. I'm sure this family is hurting so badly right now and hopefully the kind words here with be of solace to them or their friends. Even though I am over 60, I have signed the organ donor card. I would urge everyone to do this. And if not organ donation, whole body donations not only help train our doctors but might provide, through their knowledge, future life saving techniques or cures for illnesses. My prayers go out to this family in their grief and loss.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 10 months ago

From the original LJW article:For many weeks, Isabelle's 2-year-old sister, Elorah, hadn't been able to see her sister.... During her initial visit, Elorah was a bit standoffish. But soon, Isabelle reached out her hand to Elorah - and the two girls didn't let go for the remainder of the visit."For Elorah, it was like heaven on earth because both of her parents were there and her sister was there, and it hadn't been that way for nine weeks," Chris said. "It was a very tearful moment."http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/nov... When I heard the news, I went looking for the "Heart of a Princess" website I briefly had visited only weeks before. Instead, I happened onto the silent auction site and was greeted by all the colorful contributions of two-year-old sister Elorah. It left me in a heap.

CamandAddisonsmommy 5 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with there family. If your not already an organ donor please sign up to be.My daughter recieved a liver transplant in Sept after a 16 month wait. This little girl should not have died. Azure is right its has to be the right size. I don't know if its that way with the heart but it is for the liver. My daughter could only have one from someone 5 times her weight which was 95 LB. It had to be from a child. You have to tell your family your choice. My daughter is living proof that organ donation is a wonderful thing!Please don't let another child die waiting be an organ donor.

sand_rat 5 years, 10 months ago

I couldn't have said it better myself Cam and Addisons mommy...DONATE people!!!!!!!!

lacoov 5 years, 10 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

nejayhawk09 5 years, 10 months ago

we miss you so much already princess. i know god will take great care of you but it still hurts to lose you. what joy you must be having singing and dancing in the clouds with a heart that no longer knows pain.