Archive for Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kansas governor’s office reopened after investigation of suspicious powder

The powder was determined to be safe. There have been similar reports at governor's offices across the country.

December 11, 2008, 1:31 p.m. Updated December 11, 2008, 2:17 p.m.

— Gov. Kathleen Sebelius’ ceremonial office and people inside it were quarantined for about two hours after a letter was opened that contained a suspicious powder, officials said Thursday.

Apparently, the powder posed no danger, and the office on the second floor of the Capitol was re-opened around 2 p.m.

Envelopes with suspicious powder have been received by governor’s offices in 12 other states this week. In those instances, the letters contained cornstarch or baby powder.

In Kansas, the letter was opened around noon by an employee. The substance inside the letter has yet to be determined.

Sebelius spokeswoman Nicole Corcoran said initial tests on the substance revealed it was inert and did not pose a threat.

At the time the envelope was received, Sebelius was in her working office, which is not connected to the ceremonial office. The ceremonial office is often used for news conferences and other events. During the incident, Sebelius continued working in her office, Corcoran said.

Comments

notnowdear 5 years, 4 months ago

Madmike, quit drinking. It is really starting to alter your behaviors.

notnowdear 5 years, 4 months ago

Powder-Filled Envelopes Mailed to U.S. EmbassiesWednesday, Dec. 17, 2008http://gsn.nti.org/gsn/nw_20081217_2749.phpEnvelopes containing an apparently harmless white powder have arrived at eight U.S. embassies throughout Europe as well as additional governors' offices in the United States, the FBI said yesterday (see GSN, Dec. 15).FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said that powder-filled envelopes have now arrived the offices of more than 40 governors. Each included a letter with unspecified content, the Associated Press reported."The FBI has contacted the governors' offices and State Department to be on the lookout for additional letters," Kolko said.Powder mailings have turned up at U.S. embassies in Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Romania and Switzerland, according to State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid, (Associated Press/Google News, Dec. 16).Meanwhile, a Slovenian lawmaker received a suspicious white powder letter yesterday, forcing the evacuation of offices in the country's parliament building, Agence France-Presse reported.The parliament's press office said that three offices were closed off after the envelope arrived at the office of Branko Grims, a member of the opposition Slovenian Democratic Party.Authorities have taken all needed actions in response to the incident, according to a press office statement. Results from laboratory testing of the material were set to be issued today (Agence France-Presse/Morningstar, Dec. 16).

Donnuts 5 years, 4 months ago

I see somebody referred to me earlier in the posts.I was at the bar once and had a few beers. Somebody told me some joke and I thought it was so awful it was hilarious. YOu know the kind; it is like an Archie Bunker type thing. He was so hilarious. Anyway, this fellow took a while to get off my back actually I had to leave the bar to get him off my back. Kind of like a monkey on your back. Well, so I stepped out of the bar and got an ice milk bar and was trying to tie my shoe and got confused as this fellow followed me out of the bar; I thought he said he was going to offer me a job making ice milk bars and so I tried to put my ice milk bar on my foot instead of my shoe.

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

Get a grip on reality log, your mania about the bio facility is worse than Bozo's Bush derrangement syndrome!

logrithmic 5 years, 4 months ago

Probably the work of some U.S. military scientist... whoops, sorry about that. It appears that the U.S. military plays for keeps - just ask the four dead and 20 or more injured from the anthrax terrorist attacks perpetrated by one of their honored scientists!

tumbilweed 5 years, 4 months ago

Seems like the work of Professor Chaos. I can just see him right now, grinning evilly over his hamster minions.

calvin 5 years, 4 months ago

Glad she kept working. After all of the time she was gone campaiging for Obama she needs to get caught up. All that work for Obama and he did not offer her a cabinet position (or she declined, what a BS line).

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 4 months ago

In other news: Politicians' B.S. leaves powdery residue.

autie 5 years, 4 months ago

..dude, is waka1 missing anything?

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

"During the incident, Sebelius continued working in her office, Corcoran said." Well, at least Scott made her out to be the valiant hero again.

oldnavycdr 5 years, 4 months ago

What made it suspicious was they thought it was a cabinet appointment.

missmia 5 years, 4 months ago

i'm curious as to what the letter said, or if it said anything

Steve Jacob 5 years, 4 months ago

Are people really this stupid? You know it will get back to you at some point!