Archive for Saturday, December 6, 2008

Elementary teacher touched many lives

December 6, 2008

With 27 years as an elementary teacher, Jan Green knew her way around the Lawrence school district.

She often would welcome and help guide new administrators and teachers to the district. And each year, colleagues said, she did her best to make sure her students had everything they needed.

“She was one of those teachers who just had a huge heart and always made kids feel special. She would go out of her way to do the little things for kids,” said Tammy Becker, Hillcrest School principal.

Green, 49, died Wednesday at a Topeka hospital. She had served as a teacher at Kennedy and Hillcrest schools. Most recently she taught English as a second language at Sunflower School.

The school district made members of its crisis support team available to students and staff members this week at Hillcrest and Sunflower.

Superintendent Randy Weseman said the school community was grieving her loss because Green was able to positively influence hundreds of children.

“Jan was just the kind of person who everyone loved and loved to be around,” he said. “The kids, parents, teachers — everybody loved Jan Green.”

When Becker was hired to lead Hillcrest in 2001, Green was one of the teachers assigned to help ease Becker’s transition.

As a team player, Green was also very generous and worked to help her students and families outside the classroom as well. She would donate coats, shoes or other hand-me-downs from her own family.

“I think when kids and parents talk about her being one of their favorite teachers, that means she had a tremendous impact not only as an educator but in who she was and how she represented herself to others,” Becker said.

Green’s husband, Tracy Green, survives along with their three sons, Nick, Patrick and Matt.

Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Monday at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 6001 Bob Billings Parkway. Green graduated from Lawrence High School in 1977 and Kansas University in 1981.

Comments

farmgal 5 years, 3 months ago

Multidisciplinary, to answer your question, she was Lee Broyles' sister. Would have answered your question sooner, but the ljworld took a loooong time in getting this story archived for their search engine.

kateku 5 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Speicher, That was a wonderful post. I only knew Jan in passing and know that she was a beautiful person, inside and out. Thank you for capturing her in words!

hail2oldku 5 years, 4 months ago

Nice job Danny.That's certainly a better way to be remembered by those that will miss you.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 4 months ago

deja - Jan suffered a brain aneurysm (sp?) and passed quite suddenly.Danny put together a nice tribute on his facebook page that explains a lot about Jan.Those that knew her were truly fortunate. I'm happy to say I believe in an afterlife. Jan is one of those people, outside of my family, that I'd like to find again.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

Do you know how she passed? It seems young. I'm very sorry for everyone's loss, she seems like a really amazing person.

hail2oldku 5 years, 4 months ago

Yesterday we said goodbye to a friend, mentor, teacher.Jan had such an impact on so many people, it was truly a celebration of her life that was experienced yesterday morning.To Tracy, Nick, Patrick and Matt - no words can ease your pain, and time will only act to soothe. Know that those who were there to recognize Jan's life will keep you in their thoughts and prayers as you try to heal from this loss.I understand a memorial fund has been established to help do what Jan had always done, educate kids. What a truly fitting tribute to such a fine person. I'm a little old for the music and the venue, but I'll be at the Granada on the 19th when Lawrence Letterday pays tribute to Jan, and encourage as many of you that can attend to do likewise.

craigers 5 years, 4 months ago

I don't personally know Jan Green, but people in my family did. I wish I did know her from everything I have heard. She seems like a wonderful person. From what Danny wrote, re-evaluating what is important should be on all of our minds. However, what I hope people don't think is that they need to touch hundreds if not thousands of lives for their life to have an impact. We all impact people on a daily basis, but the simple fact that they don't know our name doesn't matter. Be kind to others, enjoy conversations with people no matter if they are strangers or not, and just share your love with others. The world would be a better place if we all acted like Jan and just remembered a person's name and treated others right because everybody can impact the world one person at a time.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

quik,You nailed it. I haven't seen her since probably the 70's..maybe the 10 yr reunion.But what I remember most (other than her and her best friend..glued at the hips it seemed, too cute) was that she could step out the the cheerleader 'uniformity' and still relate, as a kind human being, to the 'non-cheerleader' crowd. You could see she knew it was all a phase..not real life, and that people were more important then just what crowd they ran with.Hard to imagine how hard this is hitting her old friends at LHS.Can someone tell me, i never thought of this before..is she the grand daughter of Lee Broyles, from Cook Paint on Mass?

Buggie7 5 years, 4 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with this whole wonderful family.

Daniel Speicher 5 years, 4 months ago

Although I never had the privilege of actually having her for a teacher, she taught at Kennedy while I attended there and this year, while working at Sunflower, I had the opportunity to watch her touch lives, again, within their ESL program (and throughout the school.) She was such an amazing person. Anyone that knew her knows how blessed they were to have been acquaintances with her. A few days ago I wrote a blog entry on her, if any of you are interested in reading it.http://www.xanga.com/Speicher/684578653/item.html--Danny Speicher

eric poncharello 5 years, 4 months ago

In the last 4 years, there have been Great Folks who have passed on that have had an impact in our community and JAN is definately one of them! JAN, you'll be missed! My family knew her when we lived on Harper st. many moons ago and even as a little girl she had a love for people. GOD BLESS YOU!! GREENS and BROYLES!! Will keep YOU! In our PRAYERS!! BBC.

yellowhouse 5 years, 4 months ago

Let me give you my wisdomFor there is knowledge for those that believeThough I may be the giverIt is in giving that I shall recieve! Thank-you Jan for being there for our kids!this song is dedicated to you. The happy little boy in the green sweatshirt at the table is Nicky!When he was in your class he was our foster child!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_lIKj...

quik 5 years, 4 months ago

I knew Jan from a class at Central Junior High. She was the beautiful cheerleader and I was the skinny, geeky kid with the big, black, horn-rimmed glasses that was invisible to just about everyone. She always talked to me and was always very nice. It's no surprise that Jan became the wonderful, caring teacher that everyone is describing. God did indeed take another Angel.

mammaweeks3 5 years, 4 months ago

Two of my children were blessed to have had Jan as a teacher. She made a huge impact on their lives. I sent them to school each day knowing that they were going to be loved and taken care of as I would want them to be. What I will remember most about Jan is the way she cried on the last day of school every year due to her babies leaving her. It was clear that she loved her students deeply and would miss them. My condolences to the family and the community, everyone has suffered a great loss. Her spirit will live on in all the lives she did touch.

srichardson22 5 years, 4 months ago

God took another Angel. My son had her for a class in 2nd and 3rd grade. Mrs. Green gave life to an already excellent school at Hillcrest. I am still wrapping my brain around her not being here to guide and love little people. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the staff and students, friends and family that loved and adored her.

johnadavies 5 years, 4 months ago

Both of my son's had Jan Green when they were at Kennedy and she was a wonderful teacher. She has had an effect on the lives of hundred's of kids by this time; certainly that is a wonderful legacy!

frankiej65 5 years, 4 months ago

My family was blessed to have Jan teach two of our three children. As children get older it's easy to forget the importance of the early years of education, however Jan made such an impression on us that she became the standard by which we have since measured every other teacher our children have had. Although our children have been blessed with many great teachers, none have met that standard. She was a kind, caring, beautiful soul who never stopped taking an interest in our kids even though they have long since left her classroom. We are very sad at this news. Lawrence schools and the city as a whole just wont be the same without her warm heart and smile gracing our presence each day.Our hearts go out to her family.