Archive for Thursday, December 4, 2008

Teenagers in wreck in critical condition

Two Lawrence teens are in critical condition following a fatal car accident last week.

December 4, 2008

Two Lawrence teenage girls were still in critical condition at a Kansas City area hospital Wednesday after a wreck last weekend killed another teenager.

Jasmine Garland, 17, and Lauren Myers, 16, were listed in critical condition at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., said Dennis Minich, a hospital spokesman.

They were passengers in the vehicle that struck a tree early Saturday morning in the 2500 block of Ousdahl Road. The driver, Casey Alan Anzek, 19, died.

Lawrence police identified the other passengers as Anthony Munger, 20, and Cora Garland, 16. Both were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, and Garland was later transferred.

Information on her condition was unavailable Wednesday because of the hospital’s privacy policy, Minich said.

Comments

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

Thanks beobachter. Yeah, nothing new and didn't really expect anything.

beobachter 5 years, 4 months ago

Thread is still therehttp://www2.ljworld.com/discussions/stories/482249/Seems the kiddies are no longer there praising the racist drunk. No further info on girls, however this quote says it all."But if you get to know them they are loving girls and they made a mistake drinking in the car now knowing them i know they do drugs and drink"Same old mindless crap as about Casey, just excuses for their stupidity. They are not and have never been sweet little girls who simply made a mistake.We are supposed to feel sympathetic for this kind of stupidity, not according to my way of thinking.

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

OK, maybe I am overlooking something, but did the LJW pull the thread on the original story??? Last I checked earlier this morning it was there. Did somebody say something totally out of line???

froggy_girl7727 5 years, 4 months ago

i am tired of the people thinking all of this is just a joke it was a serious incident and for the ones on here that dont even have the RESPECT for the families and friends of the ones who were injured and the one whose life was takin...GROW UP AND SHOW SOME RESPECT! how would you have felt if that was one of your kids? think about it....Much love too Casey, Jazmine, Cora, Lauren, and Aj

whickey 5 years, 4 months ago

I know two girls who where in that car and i love them dearly. And i know that they can be trouble makers sometimes. But if you get to know them they are loving girls and they made a mistake drinking in the car now knowing them i know they do drugs and drink. But we all make our mistakes i am sure all of you had made mistakes so please don't call them dumb because you are just calling yourself dumb. Cora Garland goes to school with me and i went to West Jr. high with Lauren Myers. And no i wasn't in the accident but i am friends with them and watching them over the years i know that they are great girls and also great true friends. And i just pray to God that they will all get better. And i know that God is watching over the Boy who has Died.

live_like_u_were_dyin 5 years, 4 months ago

Actually the passenger did grab the steering wheel and made him go off the road. The blame cannot be place completely on Casey because all 4 of those kids CHOOSE to get in the car with Casey that night. They are to blame just as much as Casey is. I pray the girls make it through!! All you can do is learn from Casey's mistake so we do not have to bury someone else!!! Please if you drink stay off the road!!!!!

objectivethinker 5 years, 4 months ago

why is not Casey's fault? who was sitting in front with him and what did he/she do? unless they grabbed the steering wheel and made him go off the road, how would it not be the drivers fault?

krystalk 5 years, 4 months ago

I would like to know how all of you feel about it not being Casey's fault after all???Yeah, you might not know what I am talking about but when it comes out in the news I will be laughing in your faces ALL day.

TheStig 5 years, 4 months ago

casey19, you know what will make you feel better? Grab a 12 pack, down a brewsky, call up a bunch of your friends, and go for a nice long drive. Repeat as needed until you don't feel bad anymore.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

I hope all four of them have a full and quick recovery.

witchfindergeneral 5 years, 4 months ago

1029, your analysis is spot-on. I've personally seen this bizarre romantic practice occur throughout both my junior high and my high school years (Free State, class of '07)-and the older men are almost always losers, through-and-through.

1029 5 years, 4 months ago

A 20 year-old loser is more likely to be recognized as a loser by a 20 year-old girl than he is by a 16 year-old girl. The fact that a person is a loser becomes more evident after high school based on their job, whether or not they decide to continue their education, etc. A lot of post-high school girls want nothing to do with these losers, but 16 year-olds don't even take job, education, etc into consideration. They just feel cool because they are accepted by a person who is older and perceived as more mature. 20 year-old losers have always felt more comfortable with younger girls for this reason.

mluna785 5 years, 4 months ago

I went to school with the kid that died and honestly I expected something like this to happen. I don't feel sorry for any of the kids at all. If they are dumb enough to get into a car with a drunk driver then they need to live with the consequences. Too bad this had to happen but that's what comes of drunk driving.

casey19 5 years, 4 months ago

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE FAMILIES OF THE INJURED. I KNOW THEY HAVE A LONG ROAD OF RECOVERY AHEAD OF THEM NOT ONLY THE PAIN AND SUFFERING THEY WERE CAUSED BUT THE HURT OF LOOSING A FRIEND IN THE PROCESS.THERE WAS DRINKING INVOLVED AND WE ALL KNOW THAT.BUT THEY ARE ALL AT FAULT BECAUSE THEY ALL GOT INTO THE CAR.........

flux 5 years, 4 months ago

Thats silly Kiddofreindy....that sounds like a pedophile name by the way.

Quigly 5 years, 4 months ago

NAW I was just checking this crap out, they were young. Class of '10? Cmon really?

Quigly 5 years, 4 months ago

I bet you dated freshmen when you were a senior in high school dweezil.

dweezil222 5 years, 4 months ago

That age gap is hardly cause for concern. I used to occasionally go hang out with a few friends from high school who were younger than me while I was in my first couple years of college. Some of those friends would have been 16-17 while I was 19-20. Don't read too much into it when there's absolutely no evidence of any kind of impropriety.

SMe 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they keep running this 'cause nobody (that I've seen) has asked why a 19 and 20 year old "boys" are driving around with 16 and 17 year old "girls."

Quigly 5 years, 4 months ago

Whatever, send them a bottle of Jack and a get well card. This whole thing is just part of something that is getting way out of hand. Any one, dead or alive that drinks and drives is an idiot. I want to say" hey this should be a lesson" but no one will listen. They are going to keep on doing stupid crap and people are going to die. If it is going to be that way, then let natural selection sort them out. Oh don't forget to send them a Rebel flag.

wm_morain 5 years, 4 months ago

well for those of us that know the kids and the family as well as what was told to us by the brother of the sisters and the other male passanger in the vehicle, Casey Is not totally responsible for this tragic "accident". He is gone and the girls are in critical condition but we all love them very much and pray for peace and healing to all involved

Melanie Birge 5 years, 4 months ago

I second that geekin. It's good to hear the updates. To bad it's under a bad situation. What we need to hear is a bit of good new's more often from the media.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

Drama?That's a little kid's term.I think it is common here and in most papers throughout this land, that follow ups are offered in major stories.Major?Yes,a young man died and almost took four of his friends with him.I am sure that friends and interested parties would be grateful for the update

kiddofriendy 5 years, 4 months ago

Do you think LJW likes the drama of all of this and they keep posting stories to keep it alive?