Archive for Thursday, December 4, 2008

Deckert sentenced to 14 days in jail, two years on supervised parole in fatal hit-and-run

A Lawrence man will spend 14 days in jail for his role in a fatal hit-and-run accident earlier this year.

December 4, 2008, 10:03 a.m. Updated December 4, 2008, 4:44 p.m.

A Lawrence man who pleaded guilty in a fatal hit-and-run case will spend 14 days in jail and be on intensive, supervised parole for two years, a Douglas County judge ruled on Thursday.

Jake Deckert, 22, was arrested after the May 4 crash that killed Thomas Crum, 60. The two men’s vehicles collided at West Sixth Street and Gateway Drive. Crum’s car struck the side of a building at 534 Gateway Drive.

Deckert pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, failing to report an accident, driving under the influence of alcohol and violating a stop sign.

Judge Robert Fairchild went along with the terms of a plea agreement reached by Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson and Deckert and his attorney, Terry Campbell.

The DUI charge was added as part of the plea deal. It is Deckert’s second DUI.

Crum’s sons and a daughter spoke before the sentencing, telling Fairchild how difficult it was to listen to the circumstances that resulted in their father’s death.

“This is about cowardice and accountability,” Ryan Crum said as he looked directly at Deckert, who was sitting at a table with his attorney. “Jake left my dad to die.”

Daughter Tammy Wright described Crum as a decent man and expressed a sense of disbelief.

“I do understand that accidents happen, but to leave the scene and have to be tracked down by police, I don’t understand that,” Wright said.

Son Travis Crum said he hoped Deckert never has to experience what he put the Crum family through.

Deckert also has to pay more than $1,000 in fines. If he fails to meet terms of his supervision, Branson said he would seek to have Deckert jailed.

Prosecutors initially filed leaving the scene and failing to report an accident as felonies. In the plea agreement, however, they were switched to misdemeanors. Because of a quirk in Kansas sentencing guidelines, Deckert actually received a harsher penalty with the charges as misdemeanors, Branson said.

As felonies they each carried standard six-month sentences but, based on lack of criminal history in Deckert’s case, they were presumptive probation. As misdemeanors they carry standard one-year sentences.

A second DUI conviction carries a maximum 12-month jail sentence with a requirement to serve at least five days. In Douglas County most sentences for a second DUI have been for the minimum five days, Branson said. He noted that prosecutors had no evidence that Deckert was intoxicated and there would be no conviction without the plea.

After serving 14 days in jail Deckert will have to stay out of trouble during the two-year parole or he will end up back in jail for the full term.

“With this plea we get double the jail time and he’s actually going to jail for awhile,” Branson said.

Deckert didn’t make any comments when given the opportunity to do so by Fairchild. Campbell said he had advised his client not to say anything at this time because of civil lawsuit possibilities.

Comments

CLARKKENT 6 years ago

14 DAYS IN JAIL FOR A FATAL HIT AND RUN, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?DRIVING DRUNK ALSO. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE JUDGES AND DISTRICT ATTORNEY?

NotASquishHead 6 years ago

Wow. Squishhead Lawrence at it again. In Texas he would have receive 14 years, not 14 days for taking someone's life.

bevy 6 years ago

This is just sick. There's no other way to describe it. How do we expect to deter drunk drivers if this is all they can get? I think minimum sentences and no opportunity for plea bargains is the only way to go.

Steve Jacob 6 years ago

But remember they had no real proof of the DUI, he just had to plead to it to get the deal.

CLARKKENT 6 years ago

O.K., SO EVEN IF NOT DRUNK, A FATAL HIT AND RUN SHOULD STILL CARRY MORE THAN 14 DAYS. IT IS A CRIME THAT THE D.A. WOULD SETTLE FOR SO LITTLE.

Lenette Hamm 6 years ago

Should it matter if there was proof of the DUI? A man lost his life at this guy's hands...... makes me physically ill.

skinny 6 years ago

You've got to be kidding me, 14 days for killing someone?This is outrageous!!You know, until they start punishing people for driving under the influence it is just going to continue to be a problem.Why even bother with it then?This is crazy.Just last week a kid walked for killing a Douglas County Sheriff LT because the kid was messing with is cellular phone while driving.What has this world coming to?I think we need a new DA here in Douglas County.

mightyquin 6 years ago

I can not believe only 14 days for taking a life. You can get more time for stealing a TV! This is absurd!

M30 6 years ago

What about the license? Is he still driving???? OMYGAWSH! sick world.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

What a joke. Even after this accident this kid still had pictures of him drinking in a car on his myspace page. Forgot who sent me to link. He left the scene of the crime! I guess if you want to murder someone in Lawrence just make sure you're a college student. I just pray he feels some type of remorse and learns something from this because he sure in the heck isn't doing the right amount of time for his crime.

countrygirl 6 years ago

Whole thing just makes me sick. Even if the other driver was drinking too, that doesn't mean the driver who killed him should get off with a slap on the wrist. My thoughts go out to the Crum family.

jayhawklawrence 6 years ago

That spot on 6th street, if it is next to the Sonic, has a bad blind spot. It is difficult to see traffic coming from the West, especially at a higher rate of speed.This may have contributed to the accident, though I am not excusing a hit and run. I just worry about it happening again.

Leprechaunking13 6 years ago

So the guilt on his concience isnt enough? That he has to live with the fact that his drunk driving, if he was really killed someone. I like how most people here completely excuse the other driver in this, yes he lost his life but he was drunk and its been proven. Its ok to drink and drive as long as you pay for it with your life? I hope all of you leaving comments like that aren't sending that message to your kids if you have any. Dont get me wrong I feel bad for Crumms family as well, but wasnt his family with him that night? Why didn't someone try to stop him from driving home under the influence? Looks to me like the judge made the right call on this case, some jail time with a long strict probation. If he slips up at all then he goes back to Jail. Do you people want another 22 year old kid to forget his future entirely because of one bad night he had in College? That to me is sick

stuckinthemiddle 6 years ago

Leprechaunking13 well... that’s pretty rational and compassionate...so... there's a good chance that you're going to get hammered pretty good in here...

brunette_beauty07 6 years ago

I HAVE ONLY ONE THING TO SAY TO THIS WHOLE MESS: THOMAS CRUM (LJWORLD GET YOUR SPELLING RIGHT) WAS A DEAR FRIEND, FATHER, AND WONDERLFUL MAN WHOM I NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO FULLY MEET. KNOWING HIS SON KEVIN AND THEIR FAMILY HAVE TO FIRST LOSE A LOVED ONE DUE TO SOME JACKOFF'S IMPAIRED THINKING IS HORRIBLE, BUT TO HEAR THAT THIS YOUNG MAN IS GETTING OFF SCOT FREE PISSES ME OFF. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE THAT OUR COUNTRY ONCE PROMISED? I FEEL FOR DECKERT'S FAMILY AS WELL. BUT LEAVING SOMEONE BARELY CLINGING TO LIFE BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE...THAT'S HEARTLESS AND COWARDLY.

terrapin2 6 years ago

I completely agree that 14 days in jail sounds pretty weak, but 2 years of supervised parole will likely catch up to him eventually. I'll bet he ends up serving more time in jail after he violates his parole. I think he should definitely lose his drivers license for a couple of years too.

alm77 6 years ago

terrapin, I hope you're right.

1029 6 years ago

So what if the victim was also drunk? Some people don't have a problem driving drunk. He could have still been one of the better drivers out on the road.I guess the message is: If for some reason you find that you need to kill someone, don't shoot the person or stab them. Instead, drink a little, run them down with your vehicle, and then be sure to leave the scene so that you don't have to talk to police after you've been drinking. I suppose it also helps to be a student from a well-to-do family.

ukillaJJ 6 years ago

This is less severe than a DUI sentence! Completely ridiculous!

Leprechaunking13 6 years ago

Wow 1029 good rational arguements...riiight.. How about dont drink and drive at all, cause this shows 2 very different and bad scenarios of mixing alcohol and cars. So what if Crumm was drunk also? Are you kidding?! It obviously went into the judgement, that both were at fault. Granted its not hard to be one of the better drivers in Lawrence, alcohol makes no one better behind the wheel. I feel bad for both sides because its a situation that could have been avoided, ON BOTH SIDES!

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years ago

I thought I read pretty much all the articles on this accident and I have not seen any specifics except for Deckert leaving the scene. Most posters here seem to assume murder in this incident. Could someone provide a link to an article with more specifics? To prove murder you would have to know how exactly they hit, the speed of both vehicles, the blood alcohol content of both drivers, and a myriad of other specifics. I am not trying to be sarcastic, and trust me, I believe Mr. Deckert deserves some punishment, I am just wondering if there is other information out there that I am not privy to because it seems a lot of people on here are pretty convinced of what exactly happened.

mightyquin 6 years ago

I know, it was self defense! Since Crumm was drunk also then Deckert ran into him to defend himself from being killed by a drunk driver. Brilliant!

SMe 6 years ago

The words "Branson" and "plea agreement" are used too often in stories concerning crime in Lawrence.Time for a change.Leprechaunking13 do you really believe he lives with guilt? Talk about naivete.

ally 6 years ago

I live on Gateway Court I it definitely has a blind spot. I have seen many accidents in the two years I have lived here this being the worst one. I know 6th street has a lot of stoplights but there really needs to be one at this intersection. But odds are Jake Deckert would of ran it anyway. I know people that knew him in high school and saw his myspace page which shows him passed out drunk in car like it's something to be proud of and it makes me sick. 14 DAYS!!! He left the scene of the accident and had a DUI before this even happened... WTF! How can this happen! I hope he breaks his parole and finally gets real sentence for what he did.

Leprechaunking13 6 years ago

How do you know he doesnt feel guilt? Do you know him? Have you talked to him about the incident? Its on his record for life no matter if he feels guilt now, he will have to settle with it at some point in his life. I hope he does and learns from the mistake. My point all along is that two people were at fault not just deckert, if you dont see that then I'm not the naive one.

TheStig 6 years ago

Fleeing the scene prevented a blood alcohol test which made it hard to prove intoxication and there was a lots of other evidence of his boose crusin that night. Despite that he could have been given the maximum sentence of all the charges he was convicted in order to deter others from simply leaving their victims to suffer and die on our streets.Until a family member of the LPD, DA ,or judge is slaughtered, nothing will be done. So let the carnage continue!!!

ally 6 years ago

I hope does feel guilty but for the family of the victim the justice system played a cruel joke on them not Deckert. I know the other driver was drunk but he's dead and he did not leave the scene of the accident did he.

brunette_beauty07 6 years ago

maybe instead of arguing sides and pointing the finger, we should still mourn the loss of a great man and father. as well as pray for the life of young Decker. both of their lives will never be the same.

TheStig 6 years ago

Two people were drunk driving that night but only one was at fault, only Deckert's criminal act caused a death. I hope Deckert is sued in Civil court for wrongful death and for every penny he makes in the next twenty years. The next time I see him in a bar I'd like to buy him all the beer he can drink to help him with all that "guilt" and if he should make another mistake or has a little accident he can join that "Big Kegger in the Sky" with all the other dead booze crusin drunk drivers buddies. It should be quite a party.As this post will likely be removed for being hypocritical, insensitive, and judgmental I will only add that I can't wait for Dolph Jr's next editorial crying about KU football games at Arrowhead. You see it means lost revenues from all the fans to the bars and liquor stores which pump thousands of dollars in ad revenues to the World Company.

brunette_beauty07 6 years ago

so we all agree to disagree then shall we?

TheStig 6 years ago

tjhoops69 (Anonymous) says… "But specifically in this case, I think the outrage is that not only did this kid hit the man, but he left the scene and left the man out there to die alone, thats the real injustice."Correct. Had Deckert stayed at the scene, blood alcohol level and all, and then been convicted I wouldn't have a problem with the sentence, really. But the fact is this coward hoped to get away with it, and attempted to dispose of evidence. A 14 day sentence sends the message loud and clear, if you hit someone drunk driving run! You might get away with it, if not you'll only get 14 days.Until a family member of the LPD, DA, or judge is slaughtered, nothing will be done. So let the carnage continue and let broken and dead bodies litter the streets!Cheers!

DAHAWKMAN 6 years ago

SJR-NAILED IT. IT WAS PART OF THE PLEA AGREEMENT. THEY HAD NO EVIDENCE HE WAS DRUNK, JUST ASSUMED BECAUSE HE LEFT THE SCENE. THE JUDGE HIMSELF SAID THAT THE WORST THING HE DID WAS LEAVE THE SCENE OF THE CRIME. ALL THE OTHER CHARGES HE FACED GOT ACCOUNTED FOR FAIRLY. MAX FINE, JAIL TIME AS WELL FOR DUI IS 5 DAYS 2ND FELONY. AND YES NONE OF IT SOUNDS FAIR FOR A LOSS LIFE. BUT WAS CONVICTED FOR THE CRIMES HE COMMITTED. WHEW THE LAW THE LAW. SURE HATE TO BE A DISTRICT ATTORNEY. MY SYMPATHY GOES OUT TO THE FAMILY ON THIER LOSS. ITS TRAGIC AND NO ONE HANDLES THIS KIND OF LOSS WELL. IF IT HAD GONE TO TRIAL THE JURY MAY HAVE BEEN A LITTLE MORE STRICT WITH THE SENTENCING DECISION. ITS SAID AND DONE.

DAHAWKMAN 6 years ago

Consumer1 your right, if only alcohol stayed in your system as long as THC.

DAHAWKMAN 6 years ago

The effects of drunk driving can be serious and long lasting for all those involved. Many people who drink and drive do not think of the serious consequences of their actions until it is too late. Drunk driving is the most frequently committed crime in America, killing someone every thirty minutes and injuring someone every two minutes.

DAHAWKMAN 6 years ago

Maybe this needs to be a Kansas law to. California passed a law in 2004 requiring that drunken drivers be notified in writing of the dangers of their conduct when they plead guilty to charges in court. The idea is that if they subsequently kill someone while driving drunk, they cannot argue they did not know their conduct is inherently dangerous to human life, making it much easier for prosecutors to charge and convict them for murder.

TheStig 6 years ago

none2 (Anonymous) says… "Why?"Because AFTER having broken the law already by drunk driving staying at the scene instead of selfishly fleeing to delete your myface page shows a concern beyond the legal consequences to yourself and a willingness to take responsibility for your acts is mitigation. I'm in no way am I saying it is OK to drunk drive as long as you hold the hand of the person you just killed.

compmd 6 years ago

I think that our culture of instant gratification has further addled the brains of our incompetent district attorney. Branson sought to convict Deckert on misdemeanor charges to show that he was as tough as he could be, getting the most jail time possible. However, he neglected the long term effects of hitting Deckert with felonies. Convicted felons lack a lot of rights that many take for granted. And how about supporting himself? Most potential employers for jobs that require a college degree would ignore Mr. Deckert's application. Those that didn't ignore it and asked for further information, might be turned off by the fact that he killed someone. If I were the DA, I would have hit him with the felonies and conceded to less jail time. When the masses complained, I'd tell them to stfu and read the statutes and be glad that in reality he's getting a much harsher long term punishment.

heels007 6 years ago

If anyone here knew anything they would look for the facts of the case. Mr. Crum had a BAC of .15 which is almost double the legal limit and according the eye witness testimony, Mr. Deckert's car was completely stopped at the stop sign. Mr. Crum was the one wasted and I am very offended that you people jump to conslusions so quickly. Jake did not kill Thomas Crum, Thomas Crum killed himself and put may others in harms way. I will not sit by and let people who don't know the facts condem Mr. Deckert. Mr. Crum could've killed me, or any of you or your loved ones. He is the one in the wrong, not Mr. Deckert

dolphins4321 6 years ago

For all of you that feel so sorry for Jake and think that he didn't do anything wrong......let's see how you feel when he is your kids, grabdkids, nieces,nephews teacher. I'm sure he will make a fine teacher (from my understanding that is what he is going to school for). I'm sure he will screw up. It's only a matter of time and getting caught. He's been out partying and drinking every weekend since!

heels007 6 years ago

Excuse me Dolphins4321, he has not been out partying every weekend since. Actually the crum family tried to tell the judge that they saw him out drinking and getting into his car on Nov.1 but when the facts came out, MR. Deckert was not even in the state of Kansas. So get your facts straight before you post anything on here again. I would rather send my kids to him as a teacher than to the drunk Mr. Crum who might hit the with the car on the way to school. Punk.

dolphins4321 6 years ago

heels007- who do you get your information from? Being close to the Crum family I have heard what the witnesses say and they all said that Tom was driving normally, that no one would have know he had been drinking. Jake did not stop at the stop sign nor did he even slow down. If you are a friend of Jakes then get over it, he is only going to serve 14 days in jail over christmas break. there is still plenty of time for you to go out and party with him before then. I'm sure that he will be out celebrating tonight for his light sentence!

heels007 6 years ago

Actually I was in the courtroom this morning when the sentence was handed down. I was with Jake in Memphis, TN on the night they supposidely spotted him out drinking and getting into his car and I have spent many many hours with Jake since the accident and he has not touched a sip of alcohol since that night. And as far as you being close with the Crum family, they put all the blame on Jake, why can they not accept the fact that Mr. Crum hit jake while being legally drunk? There is proof in the autopsy. I dont care how good of a drunk driver you think you are, you arent that good and Mr. Crum caused this accident. There was an eye witness testimony given this morning under oath in which it was stated that Mr. Deckert's car was completely stopped and Mr. Crum hit him. How is that Jake's fault?

dolphins4321 6 years ago

Well, I'm not a Punk and I won't stoop to your level since I don't know you! And it might not have been on Nov. 1st but he has been seen out drinking numerous times by many different people. You can defend him as much as you want since you are obviously his friend, the fact is he killed a man.

heels007 6 years ago

No, the facts that were presented in court today were that Mr. Crum was drunk. Plain and simple. He hit Mr. Deckert. And you have zero proof that anyone has seem him out drinking. The thing is that they told the prosecutor that they saw Jake out on Nov 1. THey used that specific date. They were trying to get him in more trouble.

dolphins4321 6 years ago

Well maybe you need to purchase some Qtips and clean your ears out. Because Jake hit Tom. How in the hell does the front end on Jakes car get heavily damaged and the passenger side of Toms car completely cave in if Tom is the one that hit Jake??? Hmmmmm.....sounds kind of funny now doesn't it.

heels007 6 years ago

Jake was on the south side of the road and tom was heading east. here, get out some paper and draw yourself a map lol. Tom clipped the front of Jake's car with his passenger side. Do the math before you talk....and if Jake's car was totally stopped as stated in the eye witness testimony, how could Jake possibly hit anyone? Go ask you friends the Crum family, they will tell you what was said today in the hearing.

heels007 6 years ago

You are right, people are capable of lying. But people who don't know anythign about this should just but out and quit pointing fingers.

dolphins4321 6 years ago

heels007- actually I was there and if you remember Mr. Branson went back in his papers and read the witnesses statements from the night of the accident and they said that Jake was out of the intersection which would mean he wasn't stopped at the stop sign, also it sure was a pretty accountacble witness when they said that she and her friends had been out drinking all night as well. Real credible witness. Tom was traveling east on 6th street and Jake was coming out of the street that is right there my Sonic. He hit Tom so hard that he pushed his car across at least 4 lanes of road and into a building on the other side of the road! The witness was brought in to determine who was at fault in causing the accident. Which she really didn't help. The whole purpose of todays sentencing was leaving the scene of an accident, dui, failure to yield(hmmm that would be not stopping) and failing to report an accident all of which he plead guilty to.

heels007 6 years ago

They said he was at a complete stop...no way around that..you can't hit something when you aren't moving. And you say that Jake "hit Tom so hard that he pushed his car across at least 4 lanes of road and into a building on the other side of the road!" Even if Jake wasn't completely stopped there is no possible way he could cause that kind of damage at such a low rate of speed. Crum lost control after hitting Jake. And you are right about what the purpose of the hearing was and I acknowledge that Jake was very very wrong for leaving the scene. That is not excusable at all. What I'm trying to get across is that peopel are ready to hang him when he was not the one who caused that accident. Mr. Crum couldve killed you that night.

dolphins4321 6 years ago

Honey, I am done arguing with you, there is no point to it, I am a grown woman and I know what happened that night along with the majority of the other grown people. You obviously have a lot of growing still along with your really great friend!

heels007 6 years ago

Again people who dont know what happened trying to get pitty for the real criminal in this case.

heels007 6 years ago

The only POS is your friend Thomas Crum. He could've killed many people but luckily only killed himself. You were not at the court hearing this morning when all the information was displayed. Crum his a car that wasn't moving and was legal wasted. Get your facts straight.

TheStig 6 years ago

"Crum was driving a 1984 Pontiac east on Sixth Street when his vehicle was struck by what police say was a silver Jeep heading north on Gateway Court. The Jeep fled the scene.""The impact of the collision propelled Crum's car into the side of the Gateway Automotive building, 534 Gateway Drive. Witnesses told police that the Jeep sustained damage to its front end."http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/may..."Police seek driver in hit-and-run fatality," LJWorld Online, by Alexander Parker, May 5, 2008By fleeing the scene to remove his myface page police had little evidence of just how drunk Deckert was when he hit Crum, making things difficult for the DA and allowing his attorney to make a plea agreement of only 14 days. Deckert didn't feel guilty till he was arrested. Deckert should have been jailed for the maximum of all convictions served consecutively. Crum's family should sue Deckert for wrongful death and take every penny the little coward makes in the next 20 years.

shutnmdown 6 years ago

Lawrence will soon be overan by nothing but drunk drivers. This place is nothing but a big bar. Just keep slapin those cuffs on and let'm walk free. Lawrence is Dupit..

heels007 6 years ago

CRUM WAS WASTED TOO!! Doesn't anyone get it?

TheStig 6 years ago

heels007 (Anonymous) says…"it's called a plea agreement. The eye witness said that Deckert was stopped when hit. I was in the courtroom today, you obviously werent."What courtroom were you in? This was sentencing and I doubt there were any eye-witnesses testifying at sentencing. Care to explain?

TheStig 6 years ago

We will never know Deckert's level of intoxication because he fled the scene allowing Crum to die, tool. Had there been evidence he would be feeling all of his guilt in a prison cell for longer than 14 days, tool. Lawrence is tired of boose crusin punks killing people on the road and leaving the scene, tool. We have to live with these animals and be killed and injured by them, tool. Go drown Deckert's sorrow at a local bar and let him drive you home, just not in Lawrence, tool.

heels007 6 years ago

There was an eye witness at the sentencing. I dont care if you dont believe me but there was...they discussed the autopsy too where Crum's BAC was .15

heels007 6 years ago

TheStig. Pretty mature. You know maybe if Mr. Deckert was the one that hit Crum that would make sense. Crum hit Deckert and was wasted. Who is the tool now? THe one that killed himself by driving drunk in Lawrence.

heels007 6 years ago

so when you say "Lawrence is tired of boose crusin punks killing people on the road" you are talking about Crum too because he killed himself while driving drunk, tool.

heels007 6 years ago

It just means that Crum is the one that caused this whole mess. He killed himself and ruined Jake's life in the process.

TheStig 6 years ago

And the name of the eye-witness who testified at sentencing, their age, sex, and where were they when it occurred? Eye-witnesses often get the facts wrong especially under difficult traumatic situations. Who called the eye-witness to the stand and what other eye-witnesses testified?The simple fact of the matter Deckert was wasted probably higher than Crum, but we will never know because the little coward fled the scene. You and Deckert head on down to the local watering hole and you get him good and wasted. Let the punk drive you home.

kidicarus 6 years ago

If I understand the facts correctly, two men were operating vehicles drunk, one died, the other fled the scene. I didn't know either of the people involved, but from what I understand, both were partially at fault. It's a pretty tragic situation for both men and their families - and I hope the people reading this article will learn from what happened here. I don't think the friends and family of either person are really going to feel better by attacking each other. Let's keep the posts to an adult level - especially those of you who have stated you are adults. Also, prosecutors have to work with the facts that come to light and the law of the state of Kansas. You can't really start criticizing them unless you fully know and understand both.

heels007 6 years ago

I couldn't tell you her name cause I dont know but she knew neither Mr. Crum nor Mr. Deckert. I believe she gave a very accurate account of what happened. You are just too stubborned to listen to what anyone else has to say. As long as Mr. Crum doesn't drive me home I don't care who does....he kills people when he drives home. BAC .15. Enough said, tool.

TheStig 6 years ago

Deckert did this too himself, he is a scumbag whose myface page talked endlessly about how much fun "Boose Crusin" was and pictures of him passed out in his car, not Crum. Deckert left Crum to die in the street so he could run home and try and remove his myface page. This was Deckert's second DUI. he is a heis a dangerous criminal who should be looked up for as longas possible And to this day I have never seen and eye-witness testify AFTER conviction and DURING sentencing. Mr Crum can't drive you home he's dead so hand those keys to your good bud Deckert.Cheers!

TheStig 6 years ago

Answer me this, what was Deckert BAC? High enough to leave the scene is not a sufficient answer.

heels007 6 years ago

No one knows what it was. He admitted to drinking but what no one here will acknowledge is Crum's fault. Was he not wasted?

heels007 6 years ago

I don't believe that one bit. The eyewitness came in after the court hearing started and left right after her statement...it's possible she didn't see your acquaintance.

TheStig 6 years ago

When eye-witnesses take the stand they are sworn in and give their name, yet you can't tell us her first or last name or where she was when she witness the accident? You were an eye-witness to sentencing today what was she wearing and who called her as a witness? Talk about your faulty memory, had you been drinking?

heels007 6 years ago

I dont remember her name...dont question me, i'm not on trial. Just stating the facts a**hole.

heels007 6 years ago

Dont make it personal with me...you don't know me and i never attacked you. I'm just stating my side of the issue.

TheStig 6 years ago

Whatever, even if true her testimony meant nothing because Deckert admitted the DUI and had it been important she would have been cross examined to test the truth of her statements and whether or not she was a credible witness. If it was important the police would have testified what their investigation found from the physical evidence. They both would have been asked their name first and last, sworn in, and the Judge, the DA and the defense would have addressed them by first and last name multiple times.If you don' remember their first or last name how can anyone believe you remember her saying Crum hit Deckert's car and not he other way around? Sorry, you just aren't credible as a witness.This isn't personal, but I just can't stand people coming on these boards defending self admitted criminals with multiple DUI's who flee the scene to let their victims die to erase their "Boose Crusin" myface page with pics of them passed out in their car to tell us how sorry they are and how we all have ruined their life. It is unseemly and disgusting. Just keep Deckert the hell out of Lawrence, except when he is sued for wrongful death and is forced to testify in the civil case, and we're good.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

agree w/Py. very well said!***hey Stig, you notice how it always happens: drunk driver kills somebody; then here on comment threads we get to hear from friends what a great guy he is/was, it was just one mistake, it was the fault of the other driver, you guys just don't know him, he's really not that bad, how can you sit in judgment of (his sorry @$$], and how dare you condemn him. you know, its cases like this that seriously make vigilantism more attractive. in the history of humanity, when the law and justice was/is percieved to fail, then people feel forced to take the law into their own hands. 14-days is nothing. yes, branson got the max, but maybe he shouldn't have done his usual plea bargain? what did he bargain away? this does indeed send the message: hit someone, do the hit and run for sure. then when the alcohol is outa your system, get lawyered up and turn yourself in. we are all less safe on the streets of lawrence today. and, if branson is to be believed, then we need to have some changes in kansas law.

lisabeth2002 6 years ago

1029 (Anonymous) says… "So what if the victim was also drunk? Some people don't have a problem driving drunk. He could have still been one of the better drivers out on the road."AHHH, The stupidity of some people!!!! I suppose you are one that says, "I drive better when I'm drunk." Seriously, wake the F up!! Drunk driving is drunk driving PERIOD! You stand a huge chance of killing yourself or somebody else when you get behind the wheel. Victim or not it does not excuse drunk driving. -side note- I am not in any way (because I don't know the FULL circumstances of this situation) saying that the deceased was to blame in this case. Simply saying that to think some drunk drivers are good/better drivers is ridiculous!

TopJayhawk 6 years ago

This is partly why you have so much trouble with alcohol and drugs in your community. Sure it's fun to blame everything on Topeka. And indeed many miscreants are from Topeka. But your cops and your courts, and your attitude in general is wimpy. Do the crime in Lawrence. In Topeka, our cops actually shoot.

TopJayhawk 6 years ago

Heel 007You are a snot-nosed little welp.Why don't you and your good buddy the murderer go out and have a beer and take a nice drive. Spare us the "It could of happened" lies.I know, the dog ate your homework too.By the way, your typing skills stink. Is this the measure of a good education you are getting?

ally 6 years ago

Deckert's myspace page is still up with the same photos. Some people have no shame................

jafs 6 years ago

Booze is legal, but driving under the influence isn't.If you drive under the influence and kill someone, I wouldn't really call that an "accident".I would call it some sort of negligence resulting in homicide.

princess81 6 years ago

Ryan & Travis-I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers everyday!

princess81 6 years ago

Mustbhiorio,Nice statement coming from someone who has no freakin sense. Did you read the article at all? Probably not. You must be a deckert fan huh? Bottom line, he left the scene of the accident and was too chicken to call the police and report it.You have no compassion and you should not comment on things which you obviously don't understand.

Truthspeaker 6 years ago

Could someone please explain why pity should be felt for a drunk driver (you know, the one where there is proof he was drinking) who was killed?Blah blah blah the kid left the scene of an accident, I get it. Perhaps if the moron "victim" hadn't been drinking and driving in the first place, he wouldn't have been in an accident that took his life. You drink and drive you get what you deserve.

brunette_beauty07 6 years ago

truthspeaker, you are very right in the fact that Thomas was drinking and driving. if neither of them had been, then they'd both probably be spending Xmas with their families. no one is overlooking that fact. but what good comes from anyone in a drunk driving accident? we all make mistakes...but sometimes they will haunt us for the rest of our lives. in this case for The Crum family and Deckert's. please everyone, for the sake and respect of both parties...let's drop it.

Satirical 6 years ago

The estate (administrator or executor) of the deceased person should consider filing a civil lawsuit. I am thinking negligent vehicular manslaughter, or something to that effect. I don't know all the laws in this area but they should definitely talk to an attorney.

Satirical 6 years ago

Truthspeaker..."You drink and drive you get what you deserve."By that same logic this young man should get what he deserves, which you imply (at least for the victim) is death. Odd sense of justice.

Truthspeaker 6 years ago

I wasn't defending the kid. I'm pointing out how stupid it is to feel bad for the "victim" who you can PROVE was drunk.

Satirical 6 years ago

Truthspeaker...I am not suggesting you are defending anyone. I am simply illustrating that your sense of justice is ridiculous. Also, I personally don't feel it is ever "stupid" to feel bad for someone who is deceased, even if that person is partially at fault.

redmoonrising 6 years ago

This is so sad. After reading your posts, I wonder what all the name calling here accomplishes. Then I realized that if you couldn't vent steam here, would you all be beating each other up to prove you were right. It was tragic, no question. It sounds like, in spite of it sounding like so little, the DA went for the most he could get for this under our Kansas laws. Maybe we should be writing our state congressmen/women asking for stiffer laws. One quote by Mr. Crum's family did bother me though. They said that although he was drunk, he was driving okay. I don't think anyone who is drunk is driving okay. This is not to blame him, just my thoughts on that particular statement. It does seem like a light sentence for what Mr. Deckert did. Again, maybe we need to toughen our laws so that stiffer sentences can be handed down....and then do it.

Truthspeaker 6 years ago

Fine, don't feel stupid, that's your perogative. Frankly, I save my sympathy for someone who deserves it. ANYONE who drinks and drives deserves no sympathy.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

Maybe the only reason they knew Mr. Crum was drunk was because he wasn't able to leave the scene and sober up like others. Sorry, just adding fuel to the fire. Really I don't know what to think anymore. I know one guy paid for his poor judgment with his life while the other who didn't bother to see if he could help him is only getting 2 days. The drinking and driving bugs me less then the whole leaving the scene of the accident while another person lays there dying. That's the sick part. Maybe he does feel bad for what he did but when I saw his myspace page it didn't really seem like it. Then again those pictures have been removed so I'll give him the benefit of doubt and say that he is learning from this. I don't know, it's a sad thing all around.

Satirical 6 years ago

Truthspeaker..."ANYONE who drinks and drives deserves no sympathy."Again, just to illustrate how this statement is ridiculous; if some 18 year old young woman drank and drove (legal limit for a minor is .02), and was carjacked, rapped repeatedly, and tortured for hours until she died from her wounds, would you also consider any sympathy for her "stupid"? Or what if drinking and driving were a capital crime (punishable by death)? Would you also consider that justice?

Truthspeaker 6 years ago

Yeah, Satirical, that's exactly what I was getting at. Bravo. Could you stretch any further, or are you just being absurd for fun?The drunk driver got into an accident and was killed. Got what he deserved.

Truthspeaker 6 years ago

Ah yes, and I wouldn't have a problem with drunk driving being a capital crime (I know what it means). Too many innocent people are killed by drunk drivers every year and it isn't getting better.In this case, though, the "victim" wasn't innocent.

Leprechaunking13 6 years ago

Its funny to me how because Thomas Crumb was "well known" in the community he had no fault in this accident to most people that choose to comment on here. Forget the fact that in his autopsy his BAC was .15!! How is some of the shame not on his family for not taking his keys when he left the bar that night. They should feel some remorse for letting their father, husband and "dear" friend get behind the wheel when they knew how much he had to drink. All the people who were with him and with Jake drinking that night have as much guilt in this as the two partys directly involved. I know I'm gonna catch hell for having a rational competent comment so bring it on!

Satirical 6 years ago

Truthspeaker...."Could you stretch any further, or are you just being absurd for fun?"I dont' think it was much of a stretch. If you think someoene who drinks a drivers deserves death, then someone who drinks and drives should also deserve something less than death such as rape and torture (to make this easier, I will change the facts so the hypothetical female doesn't die from her wounds). I don't think I am the one being absurd...

Satirical 6 years ago

Leprechaun...."All the people who were with him and with Jake drinking that night have as much guilt in this as the two partys directly involved."Maybe so, but there is a different from us deciding who should feel guilty (which as a community we cannot control) and deciding whether the punishment was just (which as a community/state we can control).The people who didn't prevent him from drinking and driving may have had a duty to prevent him from driving and may also be liable to the victim's estate. The administrator/executor probably should sue those individuals as well as the criminal young man in a civil action.However, it goes without saying that none of this changes the crime this young man committed and whether justice is served when after a crime of this manner, the person responsible only gets 14 days in jail and 2 year of parole. In other words; his guilt or innocense doesn't change even if these other individuals are also guilty.

Satirical 6 years ago

Correction: "...there is a difference from us deciding..."

lovenhaight 6 years ago

How many times had Jake been in trouble for DUI? Or at least how many times had he wrecked his car while drunk? Heels must know, they look like they are best friends.

Leprechaunking13 6 years ago

Im not defending Jakes actions whatsoever, Crumbs actions and lack of action from those with him that night played into the judgement though. Both were at fault, the probation Jake will have for 2 years will be very strict and probably not hard to break. If he continues to use the same judgement like many on here have said they have seen him do since the accident he will go back to jail.

ARA 6 years ago

Even the NIGHT of the accident, Deckert was making jokes on his facebook page about his car. I'm not sure what he was telling people, but people responded back saying "sorry to hear about your car". I assume that he forgot to mention that he killed someone with it.this makes me sick.

lovenhaight 6 years ago

It seems like the people defending Deckert in this situation seem to have forgotten one simple fact. If you drink, you DON'T DRIVE. Neither one of these people should have been behind the wheel, but the fact that Crum was also over the legal limit doesn't exculpate Deckert. Its fine to stick up for your friends, no one is perfect, but be realistic about your friend's personality. As I said above, I don't think this is the first time Deckert has done something stupid behind the wheel while drunk. Heels, I hope to high heaven that you don't have that screenname because you live in North Carolina. I don't want someone as irrational as you on the road near me. A man is dead. Your friend facilitated that. That means that he is guilty, regardless of the fact that Crum was drunk too.

Satirical 6 years ago

Leprechaun..."Crumbs actions and lack of action from those with him that night played into the judgement though"This is where we disagree. Whether or not other individuals violated a duty should not affect whether this person is guilty of the crime charged. That is like saying a parent has a duty to protect their child, so if someone commits a crime against a child the criminal's sentence should be reduced because the parent's violated their duty. Whether or not a parent violated their duty doesn't change the fact a crime was committed against the child. Whether or not people violated a duty by allowing Crum to drink and drive doesn't change the fact Deckart committed a crime.Whether or not Crum is partially at fault for his death (I think many people are presuming this without knowing the facts), cannot be taken into consideration based on the crimes he was charged with. If if Crum was guilty of a OUI, doesn't change the fact Deckart fled the scene of an accident, etc.

flux 6 years ago

I had a friend of mine get 72 months for the same crime. Maybe he would of been better off if he had left the scene of the crime like Deckert.

Satirical 6 years ago

Leprechaun...I don't think most people would disagree that Crum driving drunk is a mitigating factor (in the court of public opinion); but the fact that had Deckert not been a coward and fled the scene a life may have been saved, is an aggravating factor.So most people determine justice by looking at the facts Deckert is (at least partially) responsible for this accident which lead to Crum's death, and but for his cowardly actions may have been able to save Crum's life (prevent Crum's death.) So for two reasons Deckert is morally culpable for Crum's death.

Leprechaunking13 6 years ago

Satirical- your comparison to a crime against a child very well could go the other way. Parents can get charged depending on the situation, think of neglect. Thats a different matter. My whole point is that not 100% of the blame should be on the shoulders of Deckert, this is not excusing his actions because what he did was wrong. It just amazes me that because people "know" who Crumb was he played no part in the accident.

Satirical 6 years ago

Leprechaun..."Parents can get charged depending on the situation, think of neglect. Thats a different matter."That was exactly my point. Just because the parents could be liable does not mean the person who committed the crime against the child is any less guilty. Similarly, just because others could be liable for not preventing Crum from drinking and driving does not mean Deckert is any less guilty."It just amazes me that because people “know” who Crumb was he played no part in the accident." - LeprechaunI don't know Crumb, and I don't know anyone who claims he played no part of the accident. If he was drunk he was presumptively at least partially at fault. But as a said earlier, whether Crumb was partially at fault or not doesn't change the fact Deckert is responsible for his actions and the demands of justice.The facts could be Crumb was totally responsible for the accident, and Deckert is only guilty of the crimes he was charged with. Or it could be the prosecutor can't prove who was at fault. We don't know for sure. But like I have repeated several times. This does not excuse Deckerts actions.

leadstone 6 years ago

same thing happened outside Bullwinles in 1998-Same sentence too. He only had to serve 7 weekends in the County jail. WTF?

Judgesmails 6 years ago

All you Deckert supporters sound like a bunch of inbred morons. duhhhhh.He should get life in prisonHopefully, somone thumps him after he gets outWhat a punk

kidicarus 6 years ago

"Judgesmails (Anonymous) says…All you Deckert supporters sound like a bunch of inbred morons.duhhhhh.He should get life in prisonHopefully, somone thumps him after he gets outWhat a punk"What a moronic statement.

topflight 6 years ago

Okay now, honestly, how many of you on here voted to retain Charles "Lets Plead Everything Out" Branson. I for one did not. This is what we get from Mr. Flashy himself.

T_riffic 5 years, 12 months ago

To heels007,I only hope that one day you can show some sensitivity for Mr. Crum and his family. Maybe that will come one day if you go out in your "heels" and someone tries to rape you. Then they claim something stupid like you were asking for it because you were dressed provocatively in your heels etc. See how stupid it sounds to blame the victim???I wish Tom was alive to serve his DUI sentence in jail (if that was truly the case). If Tom hit Jake then why would Jake run? (Tom would have never run) Why do the witnesses and evedience state otherwise? Why did Jake plead guilty? I am heartbroken about your insensitive comments. Tom can never come back and it is due to Jake. I hope that Jake becomes takes this experience to heart and becomes a crusader against drunk driving that would be the best way to make amends to all of us that truly loved Tom.It sounds like you love Jake. As you spend the holidays with him, please instead of being in denial try to help him atone and do good things with his life. If the shoe was on the other foot that is what I would do . Thank you, T

GardenMomma 5 years, 11 months ago

This is atrocious! 14 days and THAT'S DOUBLE the time? WTF?What happened to the "mandatory" one year sentences? Does it mean that if you get a "mandatory" sentence, you don't have to serve but a fraction of the time?This makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever to me. Shame on the justice system. Shame!

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Great, Jake 'Booze Crusin' Deckert is free. Someone buy him all the drinks he wants tonight and then hand him some keys. Hopefully he will take himself out on New Years 2009.

lordymee 5 years, 11 months ago

When I first read of Tom's death, it shocked me. I have never commented before on this. I knew him very well when he about the same age as the person being sentenced. He would be the first one to not point fingers of guilt at the accused. Lord, Tom was no angel by any stretch of the imagination. Geez, this kid could not hold a candle to Tom's antics. Believe me, Tom Crum would not want this person crucified in public. I will not go into details about our relationship, but I will say this accident was a tragedy for all involved. Tom and his Chevy Nova were well know in Lawrence. He would not have held a grudge against this young person. He was him a few years back!

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

Early tomorrow morning, May 4,2009 it will be one year since Tom's life was taken by Jake Deckert.