Archive for Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Chavez seeks to remove term limits

December 3, 2008

— Hugo Chavez wants to remain president of Venezuela for life, and this week he began campaigning for Venezuelans to lift term limits so he can run for re-election indefinitely.

“The opposition will not stop our revolution!” Chavez told hundreds of red-shirted supporters at a rally in Miranda state Tuesday night.

Chavez, 54, wants Venezuelans to approve an amendment to the constitution in February that would permit him to seek re-election in 2012 and every six years thereafter.

He’s insulted enemies and denounced capitalism as he’s turned Venezuela away from the United States and toward Cuba, Bolivia and socialism. He’s nationalized companies, taken an unfriendly television station off the air, given food subsidies to the poor and provided free studies for illiterate citizens and high school dropouts in programs known as “missions.”

During his 10 years in office, opponents have tried to force Chavez out with a coup attempt, a strike at the state oil company, a recall election and two presidential campaigns. All have failed.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

I predict he will lose again in getting term limits eliminated.

gdsacco 6 years ago

I predict he will break Bozo's widdle heart, like Ho Chi Minh, Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, Mussolini, and Hitler before him.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

"I well placed cruise missle will limit his term."And start a full-out civil war in Venezuela, just like it did in Iraq. That'd really do our oil supplies a lot of good-- which is why BushCo never did it.

gdsacco 6 years ago

Wait, wait, wait, wait. I thought Bush wanted HIGH oil prices, because his buddies in Texas, and Saudi Arabia made more money. Now you're telling me Bush wants low oil prices? Who does that benefit, besides.... American citizens?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

"and take their oil feilds it would be a cake walk compared to Iraq and also invade Mexico"Yea? Whose army would we invade with?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

"No more nation building!"Just empire building, eh?

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Get your AK & start driving south to help your bud advance the revolution, bozo.You aren't just going to sit here and be snarky, are you?

funkdog1 6 years ago

invictus: how, exactly, does Venezuela equal Mexico?

BuffyloGal 6 years ago

If you start asking for logic from some of these folks, you'll just bring a personal attack instead. Logic is a mysterious element for some people.

Boston_Corbett 6 years ago

Instead of using this story for your daily polemics, I suggest that people watch the recent PBS Frontline program on Chavez. I found it a fascinating study of how he maintains his power. You can watch it here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/hugochavez/

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

Actually, I don't particularly like Chavez. But unlike the armchair invaders around here, I don't believe it matters whether I like him. What matters is what the Venezuelan people like, and for more than ten years, they've liked him better than the alternatives, which says more about the alternatives than it does about Chavez.

AjiDeGallina 6 years ago

Bozo,I am usually pretty far left, and I am someone that is happy to see someone tell Bush to stuff it, but not Chavez. And as someone who lives in South America and has seen the reach of Chavez, and as someone who has many friends in VZ, Chavez is NOT a democratically elected leader, plain and simple.His party did just sweep some local elections, and here is how he did it. Those provinces without Chavistas do not get money for roads, schools, health care or food for the poor. It was brilliant because he did not have to send out his army to scare and intimidate the opposition like before, the just starves people to death.There is currently a list of several gay and lesbian people that Chavez made register with the government last year for a gay pride march that are suddenly missing. Opposition people have been loosing contracts, being beaten and robbed on a regular basis and suffering in other forms. During a recent raid on the FARC Terrorist in Colombia, the Colombian army found computers documenting bank transfers from Colombian officials showing CHavez if funding terrorism. Riots here in Peru and Bolivia can often be traced back to local Chavez loyalists as he is trying deperately to destablize South America so he can set up a regime.he is a danger and Sean Penn is a great actor, but a moron to jump in bed with such a monster.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

As I have said, AjiDeGallina, I'm no fan of Chavez, but using the power of the government purse to remain in power is hardly a technique limited to Chavez, or Venezuela. Just take a look at the Incumbent Party of the US, which has controlled Congress for decades for a prime example.Likewise, Chavez isn't the only homophobe in the world-- homophobia has been pretty well ingrained in many cultures around the world, and Venezuela is no exception. The Republican Party of the US is certainly not one to lecture Chavez on that front.Given that the US has been sponsoring right-wing terrorists throughout Latin America for decades, including Columbia, with which Venezuela shares a very long border, I would not be surprised that he has some ties to the FARC, although any info we get on that from BushCo or the Columbian government should be viewed with some amount of sketicism.I also have no doubt that he's been meddling in the affairs of other Latin American countries, but certainly no more so than the US does-- and certainly for nowhere near as long. But if there weren't pent-up frustrations among the indigenous and/or poor majorities in those countries over the dominance of small but powerful oligarchies over their governments, his meddling wouldn't have any effect.Bottom line-- Chavez will go when the Venezuelans tell him loudly and clearly to do so, not when we do. Retaining term limits is their next chance to do so. Maybe then the opposition will come up with a viable alternative, and the left will develop a viable political party or parties to replace the cult of personality.

gdsacco 6 years ago

"Just take a look at the Incumbent Party of the US, which has controlled Congress for decades for a prime example."Let me guess, you're an Obama voter...McCain voters knew which party controls congress by a 63-27 margin.Obama voters got the “congressional control” question wrong by 43-41.http://www.howobamagotelected.com/

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

"Let me guess, you're an Obama voter…"No, I voted for Nader.And the "incumbent party" refers to the fact that over 90% of incumbents in congress, Republican and Democrat, are re-elected every election. They accomplish that primarily by bringing home the pork, and satisfying monied interests (and their lobbyists) who in turn finance their campaigns.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

In other news:"CHICAGO — The U.S. Supreme Court will consider Friday whether to take up a lawsuit challenging President-elect Barack Obama's U.S. citizenship, a continuation of a New Jersey case embraced by many opponents of Obama's election.The meeting of justices will coincide with a vigil by the filer's supporters in Washington on the steps of the nation's highest court.The suit originally sought to stay the election, and was filed on behalf of Leo Donofrio against New Jersey Secretary of State Nina Mitchell Wells."http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6145787.html

AjiDeGallina 6 years ago

So, bozo, your basic arguments are ..Oh yea...well the US and other countries do it too, so nya nya nya.Hardly a reason to support it. I call out Bush and Chavez equally, not just one side. that is the difference between taking sides or having values.And to lighten gays and lesbians dissapearing as being the same as GOP homophobia is, in a word, an ignorant comparison.Incumbent advantage the same as starving the poor if they do not vote for you, closing their schools and no treating their sick and having armed thugs beat and rob them is another ignorant comparison.I am left, but I am left due to values, not sides and I am quite honestly as embarassed by people like you who are blind left as I am disgusted by people like Parkay or Rightwing or Marion that are ignorant blind right.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

"So, bozo, your basic arguments are ..Oh yea…well the US and other countries do it too, so nya nya nya.Hardly a reason to support it."No, not my position at all. My position is that my support, or lack thereof, or of anyone else in this country, is irrelevant. When the Venezuelans decide it's time for Chavez to go, it's up to them to make it happen. And when they pick a new leader, or leaders, it's their choices to make, not ours, and certainly not the choice of our oil companies.I can see that this is a very emotional topic for you, but no matter how bad you think Chavez is, there is nothing to be gained by having the yanquis come to the rescue, which is the only thing I can conclude that you are expecting. I certainly don't want the Venezuelans, or anybody else, invading us to save us from BushCo or the Incumbent Party.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

Obama was born in the US to a mother who was an American citizen. The lawsuit will go nowhere.

gl0ck0wn3r 6 years ago

If he gets dumped, he ought to move to Lawrence. The People's Republic of Heckler would welcome him with open arms and elect him to city government.

gdsacco 6 years ago

"And the “incumbent party” refers to the fact that over 90% of incumbents in congress, Republican and Democrat, are re-elected every election. They accomplish that primarily by bringing home the pork, and satisfying monied interests (and their lobbyists) who in turn finance their campaigns."This is really amazing. Is there ANYTHING about this country you like? Anything? Hate the representative democracy no less. Respect Venezuela's "democracy," as near as I can tell, more than ours.Anything?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

I guess you've run out of anything remotely intelligent to say, eh gdsacco?

gdsacco 6 years ago

"I guess you've run out of anything remotely intelligent to say, eh gdsacco?"I had anything to begin with? To what do we owe the new generosity? Hope and Change is hitting you!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

"I had anything to begin with? To what do we owe the new generosity?"You're right-- I was overly generous.

gdsacco 6 years ago

"A new poll has found that most young Americans who went to the polls on November 4th, and presumably voted for Barack Obama, had no idea that the Democrats have run Congress the last two years. That's a good thing for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, because her record is as bad as any new Speaker's in history."Look Bozo, you are not alone!http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122826830788174699.html

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years ago

Do you have a point, or are you just dredging up articles that also have no apparent point just to demonstrate your copy and paste skills?