Archive for Sunday, August 31, 2008

Obama’s ‘impressive’ skill set gets young Kansans’ support

August 31, 2008

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

— When they were growing up, they were interested in politics.

But when Barack Obama burst on the scene, they became big-time supporters and heavily involved in his campaign.

Clarissa Unger, a senior at Kansas University; Chelsea Ayres of Wichita, who is starting this fall at Princeton University; and Theresa L. Sims of Lawrence, a 2005 graduate of Kansas University School of Law, attended the Democratic National Convention last week.

Some have described the support of younger people for Obama as something akin to celebrity worship, but these three Kansans expressed pragmatic reasons for their decision to back Obama, such as his skills in bringing people together.

Sims grew up in East St. Louis, Ill., and remembers hearing Obama's speech to the Democratic National Convention in 2004. He said something about how a child in East St. Louis should have the opportunity to go to college.

She felt like he was talking directly to her.

As an African-American woman, Sims said Obama represents the improvements in race relations in this country. And, she said, his organizational skills in guiding his campaign have been impressive.

Ayres, who was an alternate convention delegate, said she served as a U.S. House page and helped start an Obama student chapter at Wichita Collegiate.

She relates to his lower-income background. "I think that teaches you a lot. You can't learn a lot if you're always handed stuff," Ayres said.

Unger has worked hard in Obama's campaign, spending time as a volunteer for his campaign in Iowa and New Hampshire.

And she spent the summer working at his campaign headquarters in Chicago.

"I see what he brings out in people. I've been really impressed with how he motivates everyone to work in the grass roots," she said.

Comments

KS 6 years, 3 months ago

The reason for this is because the younger people have brains full of mush. Once they reach the age of about 35, have children and really start paying taxes do they really start to pay attention. Meanwhile, when anything can be given to them "free", they will support those who give it away, regardless of the tax expense to "all" of the others.

oakfarm 6 years, 3 months ago

Mackadoo:Here is a start: Free tuition, free health care, free abortions, free prescription drugs, free immigration, free day care. It's called a sense of entitlement. This same misplaced ability to think critically leads some to say Obama has an impressive skill set. Nice assumption, but there is no evidence.

Mackadoo 6 years, 3 months ago

KS - not sure what "free" things you are talking about with regards to the bright young people in this article that actually end up costing "all of the others" in the long run? One of the quotes from the article was about how one of the young ladies had realized and identified with Obama's lower-class upbringing that "you can't learn a lot if you're always handed stuff."I'm not yet 35, but I pay taxes on a house and vehicle -- both which I own -- and general income while also going to grad school. You don't think I know about taxes and stretching my dollar? You don't think I know that I'm going to need to pay back those loans with interest the day I graduate and that my present and future tax dollars will go to help those in my same situation?Maybe you were clueless before you were 35, but most of the rest of us aren't.

sourpuss 6 years, 3 months ago

Well, as someone with access to universal health care who will NOT be $250,000 in debt after I finish my cancer treatments, I guess I'm entitled. Personally, I'm just glad that something that wasn't my fault didn't destroy me or my family financially. Do I believe everyone should share the cost of health care? You bet. Am I somehow supposed to die of a treatable disease because I chose to get a PhD and didn't save up a quarter million to pay for chemo and surgeries? I say, those of you who only care about money and yourselves step outside of your own selfish existences for even a few moments.

bad_dog 6 years, 3 months ago

"Men do not receive the truth from their enemies, and their friends scarcely offer it to them: that is why I have spoken it." - Alexis de Tocqueville in "Democracy in America"

DeckDoctors 6 years, 3 months ago

Obama is a socialist puppet of liberal money supporting everything our fore fathers opposed. He has sold his soul to grasp at power. He voted 3 times for infanticide over allowing babies of failed abortions to live! His phony facade will come crashing down in November when Americans recognize him for what he is, a stuffed shirt wind bag with no real world experience.

bad_dog 6 years, 3 months ago

"If this is philosophy it is at any rate a philosophy that is not in its right mind."~ Georg C. Lichtenberg ~