Archive for Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Armed 85-year-old makes intruder call 911

August 20, 2008

— An 85-year-old woman boldly went for her gun and busted a would-be burglar inside her home, then forced him to call police while she kept him in her sights, police said.

"I just walked right on past him to the bedroom and got my gun," Leda Smith said.

Smith heard someone break into her home Sunday afternoon and grabbed the .22-caliber revolver she had been keeping by her bed since a neighbor's home was burglarized a few weeks ago.

"I said 'What are you doing in my house?' He just kept saying he didn't do it," Smith said.

After the 17-year-old boy called 911, Smith kept holding the gun on him until state police arrived at her home.

Comments

Centerville 6 years, 11 months ago

Couldn't she have just talked with him? A show of force is so, so un-European!

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 11 months ago

Why did she pull the gun? Couldn't she just have used her medalert necklace or ran him over with her scooter?

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

I'll say it since no one else has, although ya'll are thinking it. BuffyloGal, shut up and crawl back under that rock. Some of you idiots just can't help but make everything about politics, can you? Shoo, be gone!

seriouscat 6 years, 11 months ago

Go granny! I have an attractive female friend who is a black belt and weapons expert. I keep telling her I want someone to attempt to attack her so that she can treat him to a surprise beating.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Yattemiyou, Baa-sama! Bet her grandkids think that she's the coolest in the world, now.

denak 6 years, 11 months ago

"....If he broke into her house, then she had every right to put a bullet in him.....There is no duty to retreat in the state of Kansas. However, that does not mean that you can shoot an unarmed person and just get away with it even if someone is burglarizing your house. The crux of this lays in how much of a threat this individual posed to her. Obviously, Grandma wasn't in much danger if she just walked by him and into her bedroom to get her gun. I'm thinking he probably hasn't done this a lot and didn't expect someone to be home and was stunned when she was. He wasn't coming at her, he wasn't threatening her (from what the article says) so she wouldn't have been hard press to show why she thought it was a good idea to shoot him.Now, had he had a gun and was threatening her, or if he was coming at her, she would have had every right to defend herself but that doesn't seem to be the case here.Dena

doc1 6 years, 11 months ago

She should have shot him in the crotch. Make his life suffer.

Faka 6 years, 11 months ago

That's great, I'm glad that the situation had a good outcome. People who prey on the elderly are just cowards! But I am glad the kid didn't have a gun - those stand-offs don't always end so well.

acoupstick 6 years, 11 months ago

"she should've blown off his kneecap just to teach him a lesson"I'm guessing the only thing bc's ever shot off was his own mouth. Apparently it needs a safety.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

"An 85-year-old woman... the 17-year-old boy...."I can't see any way this situation could have been improved by gunfire.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 11 months ago

When did NYC become a state? Part of Obama's 57?

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 11 months ago

Good point! Then they both would have gone to jail!

RobertMarble 6 years, 11 months ago

ha...way to go, Leda Smith!! I'm sure the anti-gun bedwetters hate to see stories like this. An armed citizen exercises their right to effective self defense. But yet those types will still end up name calling, whining,etc how how terrible it is that Americans exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, no matter what might have happened to that 85 year old lady if she had not been armed.

Boeing 6 years, 11 months ago

Freakin' awesome story. I love it. This is something I could see my grandma pulling which makes it even better to me. I have an image in my head of the old lady from Goldfinger with the machine gun shooting at Bond after he escaped Goldfinger's thugs.

pace 6 years, 11 months ago

Confrontation, sorry I didn't realize that the goal is to kill everyone we can. Great idea. Granny was smarter and obviously more sane.

pace 6 years, 11 months ago

Good outcome, she seems to have kept control of the situation rather then being stupid (note to gungho's why should she shoot?) Good for her, sorry that the fantasy boys couldn't even handle the story without blowing it.

Sigmund 6 years, 11 months ago

madmike (Anonymous) says: "It depends on the state laws, her feeling of the threat and her skills with the small caliber handgun she was using. If her state does not have a "castle doctrine", she could have been charged had she shot."As it is she probably could be charged with kidnapping although I wouldn't want to be the DA who did so after the jury convicted him of being a moron.

Confrontation 6 years, 11 months ago

If he broke into her house, then she had every right to put a bullet in him. This punk will be doing this again in the near future. Lucky for his family, she decided not to give him what he deserved. Plus, she won't have to replace her carpet.