Archive for Monday, August 18, 2008

KU students can now ride T for free as city and university begin bus pass collaboration

As of today, KU students can ride 'The T' for free and anyone with a pass for 'The T' can ride KU buses at no cost.

August 18, 2008

Monday marked the first day for a new collaboration between the city and university bus systems.

Kansas University students now can ride the city's T buses for free by showing a valid student ID. City residents who have a T bus pass will be able to ride the university's buses for free as well. Riders with a valid T transfer slip also will be able to ride the KU bus system for free.

The new system is part of an agreement between the city and university that marks what both sides hope is the first step toward merging the two bus systems.

Earlier this summer, both KU and city leaders approved a letter of intent to merge the two systems by mid-2009, but the merger is contingent upon the city finding funding for the city's share of the system.

Voters on Nov. 4 will be asked to approve two citywide sales taxes to provide city funding for the transit system.

Comments

classclown 6 years, 4 months ago

That should purchase the student's votes.

bluerose 6 years, 4 months ago

not just students - but faculty and staff too!!!big HOORAY!! and thank you!

penguin 6 years, 4 months ago

As mentioned before there are no bus passes anymore. A KUID will get you on any KU bus for free. Now the same is true of the T. Last Spring, students voted in a student-wide referendum to approve a $20 student fee (in addition to the fee already in place) to go to ensure all students can ride the bus without a bus pass or dropping a dollar in the box. The students of KU voted for the proposal in a referendum vote with more than 60% of those voting supporting the measure. So in the last few years, students have voted for fees to ensure a new bus buying plan, to go fare free, and work to make the system solvent. All this is being done while also providing Safe Ride (technically a different fee, but coming from the same office).If you were a student last year and are again this year...where were you? I graduated 4 years ago and I knew about this program. Also if you are complaining about fees, I am sure there are many fees that you do not use everyday that cost money.So anyone with a KUID should be good to ride any bus..except a yellow one. It will be interesting to see if this actually effects ridership numbers in the next few months. The T has had deals here and there for KU students, but this is definitely the best of them. Also while votes are good...increased ridership is much more important for their FTA overseers.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 4 months ago

It has been a long time a coming, but I think it is a wonderful sign of things to come. Glad they are on the same boat - I mean "bus" finally!Now about the Lawrence School system going to a four day week.....

SeaFox 6 years, 4 months ago

Wait, do you have to have a KU on Wheels bus pass to ride the T for free, or just a KU student ID? Many people get the KU on Wheels passes added to their student IDs but they aren't an automatic thing.

SeaFox 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow, everyone has to pay for KU on Wheels now? Kinda makes me happy I'm not attending this year. The $100+ bus pass was more than I could justfy if I wasn't going every day.Where I live now the bus doesn't even come (either one). I should get a rebate on my student fees next time I'm at KU I think. I'll gladly pay for the busses on a "per use" basis instead.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

Now it's not just the Ku Student that pays for a ride to school. The rest of us taxpayers get to assist too. Oh boy, that must mean I can attend classes for free.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

Curtis,that is true, but KU students and staff have until October 1 to get the new ID.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

"... the first step toward merging the two bus systems."Hmm... merge left.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 4 months ago

We all pay for the rec center, union, and other facilities many of us never use. If you are physically going to campus, the bus is more likely to be used than a lot of other things in fees. We all pay when KU property and money are used for building and maintaining lots & garages and paying people to patrol them.The parking has always been horribly oversold, and anyone who commutes knows the pain of regularly driving around for 20 or 30 minutes desperately looking for a space after paying for a parking "pass". I think that freshman are now restricted from parking on campus; Park & Ride bus is a recent dev't that keeps a lot of cars off campus. When I used park and ride, it sucked to be stuck on campus and only be able to use that one bus. I think it is great to make it a standard student service; if you have been out of KU for a while you really wouldn't believe the increase of cars on campus in the last ten years. KU has a beautiful campus, and I personally don't want to see or pay for any more parking garages.

gccs14r 6 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of yellow buses, why? If the purpose of school buses is to keep kids from having to walk too far to school, then have them use the T. The walk to a T stop and the walk from a T stop to the proper school should be less than the maximum allowed walking distance. If we drop dedicated K-12 bus service, that'll save this community quite a bit of money.

gccs14r 6 years, 4 months ago

SeaFox, As of this year, KU on Wheels is automatic. All students have to pay for it, whether they use it or not.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 4 months ago

Also, for a KU student to ride the T for free they must have one of the new KU ID's that was just introduced this summer (as per a KU email I received).