Archive for Saturday, August 16, 2008

Faith Forum: Is rock music OK for church?

August 16, 2008

Reaching out to different generations

Doug Heacock, contemporary worship leader, Lawrence Free Methodist Church, 3001 Lawrence Ave.:

Most Christians would agree that music is a vital part of worship - music can evoke emotional responses and aid us in the expression of our devotion to God, our dependence on him, our hurts and joys, our remorse and our gratitude. It can also be a tool for communicating our theology or expressing biblical truth. Twenty or 30 years ago, the question of whether a certain musical style was appropriate in worship was hotly debated, because many Christians associated certain musical styles with lifestyles that they believed to be inconsistent with their faith.

Although it seems to have taken a long time, most churches today recognize that while the truths that unite us are timeless, we are more effective in reaching new generations when we communicate in the "language" of those generations. This is reflected not only in the music we use in worship, but also in new translations of the Bible, and even in the mediums and methods we use to present the truths of our faith.

"Anchored to the Rock, geared to the times" was a slogan for the Youth for Christ movement in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and it seems particularly relevant for the church today. I fully expect that the contemporary worship music I play in my church will one day have to give way to new styles, if our church is to continue to reach out to a new generation.

Rock, hip-hop, jazz, country and western, acoustic folk, urban contemporary and traditional hymns all have a place in churches today as vehicles for the timeless truth of the gospel of Christ.

- Send e-mail to Doug Heacock at doug.heacock@gmail.com.

Speaking to your specific audience

The Rev. Tom Brady, senior pastor, First United Methodist Church, 946 Vt. and 867 Highway 40:

Yes, rock music has a place in the church. There are a wide variety of musical preferences. We don't all listen to the same radio stations, nor do we purchase the same CDs. When I walk into any Best Buy, Wal-Mart or music store, I'm amazed at all the different options. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another.

It's not reasonable for the church to assume that everyone will be touched by one kind of music. It's important for the church to offer a variety of music styles in order to appeal to a broader audience. Certainly, rock music has its place in the church and can touch the hearts of those who prefer that style of music over more traditional styles.

Similarly, preaching and teaching styles can be varied in order to reach a specific audience. Although the content might be the same, I would take a different approach in preaching to and teaching students than I would with senior adults. In music the lyrics can remain the same, but a different music style can be used. In other words, a traditional hymn like "Amazing Grace" can be played and sung in rock without changing the words.

Music is a huge part of our culture and shapes the feelings, attitudes, thoughts and beliefs of everyone. Jesus accepted the culture in which he lived, tried to change certain aspects of it, and used it to help shape the beliefs of the people he was trying to reach. The church needs to do the same.

- Send e-mail to Tom Brady at tom@fumclawrence.org.

Comments

tjhoops69 5 years, 8 months ago

The point is being lost ina debate as to if God exists or not. The point is this, the bible says the "make a joyful noise to the lord" It doesnt say how, or even that you have to be good. And I dont think its up to any of us to decide what is right and wrong in church.All the non-believing liberals on here I find not only funny but non-credible, why would someone who supposedly doesnt believe be on blogging on a "faith" forum?? that makes no sense to me other than the fact they like drama and want to make their presence known. Typical...but if the churches felt convicted as to not play the music then they wouldnt, its very simple. I know that will be hard for non believers to grab, because you have to have morals to understand what an internal conviction is, but remember, just make joyful noise! The rest takes care of itself!

Satirical 5 years, 8 months ago

If the purpose of going to church is to commune with God and feel his spirit, then I believe any music should facilitate that goal. Unfortunately most "rock" music does not. However, I believe all people should be able to worship how, where or what they may.

acg 5 years, 8 months ago

If I was ever going to go to a church again, which it would be a seriously cold day in hell if I did, I would hope they would play something other than those awful hymns. Those songs make me want to shove my finger thru my eye into my brain and swirl it around just to have something else to concentrate on. My hubby's extended fam are bible beaters and they're always trying to give my kids Jesus toys for gifts. My daughter has (or had, hehee) a book of hymns sang by the Veggie Tales. Nothing is worse than hearing Micheal Row Your Boat Ashore, as brought to you by a piece of celery. Ugh, church music is evil.

windell 5 years, 8 months ago

So parkay want to stone people to death for playing rock and roll??? doesn't the "good book' state very clearly to stone people to death for working on sunday?Guess the old ways live on in the minds of the weak.

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 8 months ago

wikipedia says there is a 'spirit'isn't that good enough?sorry...couldn't resist.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

C'mon, Marion, just look at how long you've been haunting this space.,;-)

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

denak:Do me a favour, will you and show us the slightest bit of credible evidence that there is indeed such a thing as a "spirit"; that which would in turn, lead us to "spirituality"?

denak 5 years, 8 months ago

I went to a Catholic elementary school and had to go to Mass on Wednesday. For a time, we have a "Children's band" that essentially played rock music for our services. I think it made things a lot more interesting for the students and kept their attention. My brother actually played in the band and I think, for him, at least, it gave him something to do that was positive and gave him a sense of spiritual connection.As long as the emphasis stays on the spiritual and is respectful, I don't have a problem with it especially if it gets kids in the pews.Dena

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

floridasunshine: Well, positive enough, thanks for the thoughts. I find some old songs to be quite good, such as Silent Night and that one that has the big refrain "Fall to your knees" but I can't remember that one's name. As for the wall, I've had my share, young as I am (assuming you can define me as young, some would think I'm ancient now), that I would be willing to match against most folks'. I can't say I found hymns to be useful in getting by, though I did find singing and playing on my own to be highly cathartic.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 8 months ago

How 'bout the "Hottest band in the Land...KIS*S"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgsoJrzplUIyou gotta lose your mind in Detroit, Rock City,Get Up !

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

FLSunshine: " And no matter who you are, or where you are in life's journey, you WILL run into a brick wall at some point:and my hope for you is that you will have had someone in your young life who taught you at least one hymn. Blessings to you."Been there, collided with that. I'll add your blessing ( hymn ) to my repertoire. Thanks for the thoughtful... um... thoughts.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

parkay: "What's wrong with the Rock of Ages and the Roll Called Up Yonder?"Apparently, it's the Age of Rock, and the only one "going over yonder" is Jimi Hendrix.

FloridaSunshine 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas...a matter of perspective? Perhaps so. When you've been through hell and back on earth (and it WILL happen sooner or later to everyone in some way), the words of those old hymns ring true every time and one's perspective certainly does change. One grasps the meaning of the words even more than ever before. Maybe one does have to be a bit older to appreciate the words as a soothing balm to the battered and sore spirit as we travel through this life. As Gloria Gaither says (and I'm paraphrasing), hymns are tiny bits of theology that get us through very rough times. She also says teach the hymns to your children even if they seem not to understand them...and when they do need them, the beautiful old words will be there to get them through. Perspective? I think it does matter how much one has been through and has found the only Solid Rock to be Jesus. We who have tried the consolation of this world and its hollow answers, know all too well the meaning of every word in the beloved hymns. And no matter who you are, or where you are in life's journey, you WILL run into a brick wall at some point...and my hope for you is that you will have had someone in your young life who taught you at least one hymn. Blessings to you.

Ray Parker 5 years, 8 months ago

What's wrong with the Rock of Ages and the Roll Called Up Yonder?(2 Chronicles 5:13-14)

spiderman 5 years, 8 months ago

U might find - that you can get what you need:Rolling Stones video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4BSh3zJV_o&feature=related

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

An' ritch here is the beginnin' uv the Godless Rock'n Roll conspiracy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr497w...

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

An' lookit all them there white people bouncin' around ta that there "jungle music" performed by onea them homos:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlkMc0ZaJmY&feature=related

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

When I was a kid my parents had one of these; a Rocket 88.A '49 tudor seedan with a HydraMatic.Sometimes my Dad would just yank out the key and forget to lock the ignition.Learned to drive in the field all on my own and never hit anything.I was like nine years old but I could reach the pedals and see out the windshield, so I was good to go!Got caught one day though and Dad always made sure that the ignition switch was in "Lock" thereafter and took the keys.S*it!Which leads us the the 1950 Dodge Wayfarer but that is another story.The "first" real Rock'n Roll song."Rocket 88:; Ike Turner:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1...

JayCat_67 5 years, 8 months ago

I guess it really depends on the church. If the congregation is comfortable with it, I don't see why not. Seems a lot of churches offer a variety of services to attract different congregations. A lot of the posts above say it best; the problem they have with rock music is that they associate it with rebellion against tradition. But when you get down to it, rock uses the same chord patterns as most other music, including those old reliable hymns. Throw in some spiritually uplifting lyrics and "Viola!" And, as far as I know there is no commandment stating, "Thou shalt not worship with a Stratocaster!" Just avoid that pesky tritone...

SouthSide 5 years, 8 months ago

In the 1950s and 1960s just about ALL American fundamentalists were in agreement that "Evil Rock 'n Roll" was "The Devil's Music" ... They based this on their wacky interpretation of the Bible and visions they received from the Lord.Remember the much touted fundamentalist bonfires sponsored by church youth groups in which 45 & 33rpm Rock 'n Roll records were burned by the thousands while the good old hymns were being sung, all in front of the cameras? Certainly ALL those preachers cannot now be considered to have been wrong?! Certainly today's Christian Heavy Metal rock groups are not actually of Satan?! Certainly these preachers are not now changing their minds?! What are we to do?!

notnowdear 5 years, 8 months ago

My answer to that question is simply not go to church. Then you will be happy with whatever is decided.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

Andrew:You got a problem with sex?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

Andrew Stahmer (Andrew Stahmer) says: Marion:.I'm not sure how to put this:.How long have you been using the internet..??You'll find wikipedia is pretty much the LAST place you'll want to go for reliable information"marion writes:Oh, yes, Andrew, I know that and what you have written is essenitally correct but in this instance, the Wiki article was convenient and basically accurate so I gave it a pass this time.Also in this instance, the Wiki article is much more accurate than the slang site to which you referred the readers.Let's rock:http://silverdragonrecords.com/rnr1.htmhttp://www.hoyhoy.com/dawn_of_rock.htm"The term entered black spiritual music in the 1800's, but with a religious meaning, and was first recorded as such on a phonograph in 1916, in a minstrel recording of black gospel on the Little Wonder record label called "The Camp Meeting Jubilee." Scroll to record # 339 on that link and you will hear: We've been rockin' an' rolling in your arms, Rockin' and rolling in your arms, Rockin' and rolling in your arms, In the arms of Moses."More from the citation:"Now, here is where rock and roll music came from. Before 1947, the only people who talked much about "rocking" were black gospel singers. They were singing, "Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham," and "Rock me Jesus," and "Rock me in the cradle of Thy love," and "Rock me Lord," and "Rock Daniel," and "I Call Jesus My Rock" etc., going back to the late 19th century. "Rocking" was a term used by African Americans for the rapture they experienced at certain religious events, and the term also referred to the powerful rhythm found in the music that accompanied that religious experience. For example, this recording from 1928 or this 1934 recording. Pay attention to the 1934 recording, and you will hear him say "I'm going to rock, you gonna rock...I sit there and rock, I sit there and rock, yeah yeah yeah." You should listen to that recording all the way through. It is evident from that recording (and others) that "rocking" was a part of religious experience in black culture of the time, where the ecstatic congregant was overwhelmed by the rhythm of the music and the presence of the Holy Spirit."

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 8 months ago

1922 - The words "rock" and "roll", which were black slang for sexual intercourse, appear on record for the first time, Trixie Smith's "My Baby Rocks Me With One Steady Roll".from:http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_timeline-r1.htmlRock-and-Roll (räk'n roll') n. first so used (1951) by Alan Freed, Cleveland disc jockey, taken from the song "My Baby Rocks Me with a Steady Roll". The use of rock, roll, rock and roll, etc., with reference to sexual intercourse, is traditional in blues, a form of popular music that evolved in the 1950's from rhythm and blues, characterized by the use of electric guitars, a strong rhythm with an accent on the offbeat, and youth-oriented lyrics.from:http://www.history-of-rock.com/The term "rock and roll", which was black slang for sexual intercourse, appeared on record for the first time in 1922 on Trixie Smith's "My Baby Rocks Me With One Steady Roll". from:http://www.classicbands.com/trivia2.html

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Andrew: "Seriously though:ask others:you generally want to steer clear... any... sites where ANYONE can contriblute 'facts'."I would like to consider your advice, but I read it on a site where ANYONEcan contriblute 'facts'.

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion....I'm not sure how to put this....How long have you been using the internet..??You'll find wikipedia is pretty much the LAST place you'll want to go for reliable information. A much, much more reliable site (compaired to wikipedia though...anywhere is a more reliable site) of all the old-time rock slang is:http://www.nfo.net/usa/slang.htmlEverything from 'ace' to 'zoot'. It's even kind of fun. There is some slang on there I'd never heard before.Seriously though...ask others...you generally want to steer clear of wikipedia (or any other sites where ANYONE can contriblute 'facts'.)

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

"I suspect that, as in many things, the pendulum will ultimately swing in a more traditional direction, since everything new seems to lose its appeal eventually."Except for the new stuff that stays on and thus becomes tradition. All traditions were new at some point.

canyon_wren 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey, tangent--I get your reference now, and I do see some similarity between present day churches and the "den of thieves" that Jesus referred to. Takes me a while but I get it, and I agree!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

pssst... canyon_wren... I am one of the faithful... just never could reconcile my faith with organized religion.

canyon_wren 5 years, 8 months ago

tangent--if you truly think that "believers" are "thieves," I pity you. Either your experience with the former has been limited or with the latter has been extensive!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

canyon_wren: "It is just disappointing that so many preachers, as I said earlier, believe they have to "market" what they offer...."Fashioning a den, to lure the thieves.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 8 months ago

"Take out the words, and what is the difference between the rock music played during 'contemporary worship celebrations' and rock music you'd hear in most bars?"Christian Rock is an abomination on all things Led Zepplin! Christian Rock is crappy music at best, and you can look at the South Park for the best encapsulation of all things that suck about "Christian Rock".As a former rocker and always a christian, I think there are things that "don't belong", you don't mix Jack Daniels with egg nog (that is rum's party), and you don't use the insturments of Rock and Roll that were designed to "Shout at the Devil", and sing praises of Jesus. I am sure Jesus would like to turn up the volume on AC/DC's "Back in Black" every now and again, but I am pretty sure that to "worhip him" would require a little different music.One cannot "serve two masters" and those that I see in the Christian Rock world are more interested in stroking their own egos rather than "submitting to His will" and really getting down and worshiping Jesus.It may be "inclusive" but I think there needs to be some "principal" and "Decorum", both of which proudly Rock and Roll gives the finger to.As for the "Bible thumpers" you will always pee yourselves on something. on those that don't respect the lord, you can always find a way to blasphem anyway.

gl0ck0wnr 5 years, 8 months ago

"canyon_wren (Anonymous) says: I suspect Merrill's information is actually useful if you have the time and inclination to follow up on it!"No, it's not. It's the same stuff cut-and-pasted over and over. You can tell when he actually wrote something because he hasn't mastered punctuation yet.

canyon_wren 5 years, 8 months ago

Uhlrick--you are right. I know that there is a wide range of tastes in worship service. It is just disappointing that so many preachers, as I said earlier, believe they have to "market" what they offer, and don't realize that not everyone wants a "Wal-Mart-style" worship service, and it is getting difficult to find a service that gives one a feeling of reverence. I suspect that, as in many things, the pendulum will ultimately swing in a more traditional direction, since everything new seems to lose its appeal eventually.

canyon_wren 5 years, 8 months ago

I can't figure out if Marion and Merrill are one and the same--they both "get carried away," though Merrill at least gives extensive sources to back up his points (for whatever they're worth) while Marion stands on his own opinion. Both get pretty tiresome, though I suspect Merrill's information is actually useful if you have the time and inclination to follow up on it!

windell 5 years, 8 months ago

Elvis was considered satanic.

Kathy Gates 5 years, 8 months ago

And in his time, wasn't Mozart reviled as a work of the devil for his loud, non-traditional music??

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 5 years, 8 months ago

Many of the "old traditional hymns" were originally drinking songs where Martin Luther re-wrote the lyrics so he could attract the men into church.Worship is an attitude that is reflected by a congregation through a genre of music that brings out it's spirituality. If your church isn't worshipping in a genre that brings you closer to God, find one that does.

JayCat_67 5 years, 8 months ago

Just don't play it backwards......efil ym pu thgil...pick the satan's nose goblins...uoYaaaagggghhh

i_tching 5 years, 8 months ago

There is a vast amount of music that was written for the church, ranging from monophonic chant compiled by Pope Gregory, to Renaissance polyphony, Bach's hundreds of catatas, and Penderecki's modernism. It's an excellent and enormous literature.Yet, most church-goers are woefully ignorant of this and will remain so, because in order to access its wonders one has to be able to read music and play instruments, neither of which is much of a requirement for the production of rock music.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 8 months ago

"Take out the words, and what is the difference between the rock music played during 'contemporary worship celebrations' and rock music you'd hear in most bars?"The rock music you'd hear in most bars is actually good music.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

":.this coming from a former DJ who spent most of my life playing rock:going to rock concerts:etc. If I could reclaim all that time and effort, I would."I know a number of people who would probably say the same about all the time that they spent in church. Maybe the key is simple moderation.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

"Is rock music OK for church?"What isn't OK for "church," these days?

windell 5 years, 8 months ago

666 .....The number of the beast....hell and fire were born to be released.....[iron maiden]

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, should have written:""Rock and Roll" was NOT ORIGINALLY a term used to describe sexual acts but thank for the nice try, there, Andrew!"

Agnostick 5 years, 8 months ago

No more!The crap rolls out your mouth againHaven't changed, your brain is still gelatinLittle whispers circle around your headWhy don't you worry about yourself insteadWho are you? where ya been? where ya from?Gossip burning on the tip of your tongueYou lie so much you believe yourselfJudge not lest ye be judged yourselfHolier than thouYou areHolier than thouYou areYou know notBefore you judge me take a look at youCan't you find something better to doPoint the finger, slow to understandArrogance and ignorance go hand in handIt's not who you are it's who you knowOthers lives are the basis of your ownBurn your bridges build them back with wealthJudge not lest ye be judged yourselfHolier than thouYou areHolier than thouYou areYou know notYeah who the hell are you?Hey yoHolier than thouYou areHolier than thouYou areYou know notNot--Hetfield / Ulrich

Agnostick 5 years, 8 months ago

What is protestantism's origin? A rebellion to (at that time) 'traditional Christian values". aka The Roman Catholic Church.Holier Than Thou?You... know... not!!--Ag

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

cont'd:In 1951, Cleveland, Ohio disc jockey Alan Freed would begin playing this type of music for his white audience, and it is Freed who is credited with coining the phrase "rock and roll" to describe the rollicking R&B music that he brought to the airwaves. The term, with its simultaneous allusions to dancing, sex, and the sound of the music itself, stuck even with those who didn't absorb all the meanings.Originally Freed used the name Moondog for himself and any concerts or promotions he put on. This arose from the fact he used a piece of music called "Moondog Symphony" by the street musician Moondog as his repeated opening music for his radio show. Moondog subsequently sued Freed on grounds that he was stealing his name. Since Freed was no longer allowed to use the term Moondog he needed a new catch phrase. After a night of heavy drinking he and his friends came up with the name "The Rock and Roll Party" since he was already using the phrase "Rock and Roll Session" to describe the music he was playing on his radio show. Since his show was extremely popular the term caught on and the subsequent public used it to describe a certain form of music".

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, I see the fundamentalists are out LYING again this morning!"Rock and Roll" was NOT a term used to describe sexual acts but thank for the nice try, there, Andrew!From Wikipedia:"The first coupling of the words "rock" and "roll" on record came in 1916, in a recording of a spiritual, "The Camp Meeting Jubilee", by an unnamed vocal "quartette" issued by Little Wonder Records. The lyrics include "We've been rocking and rolling in your arms / Rocking and rolling in your arms / In the arms of Moses". In 1922, blues singer Trixie Smith recorded "My Man Rocks Me (with One Steady Roll)", first featuring the two words in a secular context. Twelve years later, The Boswell Sisters had a hit with "Rock and Roll" (1934).However, for many years and probably centuries previously, the term "rocking and rolling" had been used as a nautical term to denote the side-to-side and forward-and-backward motion of ships on the ocean. This meaning was used metaphorically in such records as Buddy Jones' "Rockin' Rollin' Mama" (1939) - "Waves on the ocean, waves in the sea/ But that gal of mine rolls just right for me/ Rockin' rollin' mama, I love the way you rock and roll".Rocking was a term also used by gospel singers in the American South to mean something akin to spiritual rapture. A double, ironic, meaning came to popular awareness in 1947 in blues artist Roy Brown's song "Good Rocking Tonight" (also covered the next year by Wynonie Harris in an even wilder version), in which "rocking" was ostensibly about dancing but was in fact a thinly-veiled allusion to sex. Such double-entendres were nothing new in blues music (which was mostly limited in exposure to jukeboxes and clubs) but were new to the radio airwaves. After the success of "Good Rocking Tonight" many other rhythm and blues artists used similar titles through the late 1940s including a song called "Rock and Roll" recorded by Wild Bill Moore in 1949. These songs were relegated to "race music" (the music industry code name for rhythm and blues) outlets and were barely known by mainstream white audiences.cont'd:

canyon_wren 5 years, 8 months ago

Really good points, Andrew! Thanks for taking the trouble to write them.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

More evil Christian Rock'n Roll!Manhattan Transfer: "Operator":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV8wy-uysas

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 8 months ago

Exactly! What is wrong with the good old fashioned hymns? Victory in Jesus, The Old Rugged Cross, In the Garden and Amazing Grace..??Three things to think about....What is rock music's origin? A rebellion to (at that time) 'traditional Christian values". The actual term 'rock-n-roll' is (or was) slang for sex. (and I doubt it was slang for sex between a married couple.)Take out the words, and what is the difference between the rock music played during 'contemporary worship celebrations' and rock music you'd hear in most bars?Look at the predominant lifestyle of the majority of rock musicians. Get famous, drink, take drugs, die. That is the norm, not the exception. I could fill up a few pages with well known names that gave their life needlessly to the rock lifestyle. (Who hasn't heard: "Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll!")....this coming from a former DJ who spent most of my life playing rock...going to rock concerts...etc. If I could reclaim all that time and effort, I would.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

"never-will-grow-old hymns"That's probably a matter of perspective, ne?

canyon_wren 5 years, 8 months ago

FloridaSunshine--my sentiments exactly. I, too, long to hear some of the old hymns. Even the non-rock Praise Songs do not really satisfy me. Churches are making such an effort to "market" themselves that they totally disregard the older members of the congregation (who usually are the ones who contribute most consistently to the churches' funding and also are the ones to bear the burden of preparing meals for funerals, visiting the sick, etc.) in order to attract the young people. I am not in the former age group, though I do help out with meals, etc.--but am headed in that direction, of course!In our church (American Baptist, but serving other denominations like Presbyterian, Methodist, Nazarene, etc., in our smaller community in which those are not represented), they even stopped reciting The Lord's Prayer "because the new (young) people didn't know it." My response (as a deaconess) was, "When will they learn it if we don't say it?" but that fell on deaf ears. My personal feeling is that most young couples, especially, are drawn to churches because they have a hunger for more traditional things. Offering them rock music is not going to satisfy that hunger, and, I believe, trivializes the search for a faith. I come away from church without the feeling that I have attended a worship service, but rather of being present at a "Center for Performing Arts," and if it weren't for the fact that our pastor has WONDERFUL sermons, I would cease going altogether.

FloridaSunshine 5 years, 8 months ago

If the church I'm attending is going to have rock music, please be "thoughtful" enough to give advanced warning to those of us who prefer the wonderful, never-will-grow-old hymns so we can plan to attend services accordingly...ok? Perhaps post in the bulletin as to when the rock music will take place.Thanks!