Archive for Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lawrence police to take part in drunken driving crackdown

August 14, 2008

Lawrence police will join law enforcement agencies from across the state in conducting extra, random drunken driving patrols through Labor Day. Officers will be looking for drivers who are violating seat belt laws and driving under the influence.

A saturation patrol will be conducted in Lawrence from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Aug. 23, and a sobriety check lane will be set up from 11 p.m. Aug. 23 through 2 a.m. Aug. 24, police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said. The Douglas County Sheriff's Office will participate in the enforcement operations and have extra deputies on the street at least four days in the next few weeks.

At least 100 agencies across Kansas will hold similar patrols as a part of a 19-day crackdown on drunken driving.

Comments

Jim Phillips 6 years, 4 months ago

logrithmic, When did Douglas County/Lawrence annex the Speedway in Wyandotte County? Reality isn't a strong suit in your family, is it.

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 4 months ago

"Officers will be looking for drivers who are violating seat belt laws and driving under the influence."So, if I'm only doing one of the two, I'm okay?

bangaranggerg 6 years, 4 months ago

19 day crackdown huh? Darn, looks like I'm drinking at home for the next 20 days.

Baille 6 years, 4 months ago

"Nope- prohibition doesn't work."I don't know, buddy. It's not like it has ever been tried before. Who can say it wouldn't work?

scott3460 6 years, 4 months ago

"Every time the LPD runs a sobriety check lane they shut it down at 2AM, which is exactly when all the bars close and all the drunks stumble out to their cars and start driving drunk all over Lawrence. What's up with that?"Depends on the purpose of the check. If it is to fill the cities coffers with fines and penalties, then waiting to two o'clock when the hardcore drinkers are added to the mix messes with the revenue flow (assuming the hardcore drinkers are less likely to pay the nuisance ticket.)

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

"I don't know, buddy. It's not like it has ever been tried before. Who can say it wouldn't work?"You don't consider Prohibition to be an example of prohibition? I'm also going to have to call potential shenanigans, but not on This post.

Baille 6 years, 4 months ago

That is why all drugs should be illegal, Andrew - tobacco, alcohol, dope, whatever.Addicts just take from society. They don't contribute. And we are all going to get stuck with our tax money going to treat their cancer, hepatitis, cirrhosis. and so on.

HaKunaMaMaTaTa 6 years, 4 months ago

Great way of thinking Andrew!!! I do not agree with yanking the DL of the DRUNK cuz they will drive anyway! They DONT CARE about anyone else but themselfs and the drink or drug of choice or both. I cant say what I really would like to see happen to those kind of people In the upcoming years (soon hopefully) some car maker is making a car that checks eye movment,and the sweat of your palm that shifts gears for alcohol and if its not right then the car shuts off right there, wont restart untill someone with no alcohol or drugs in their system gets behind the wheel. It checks period~odd~ick~ly incase they are tricky drunks! When that comes out..... on the first offence or if they already have offences they have to buy and only register that kind of car.... only drive that kind of car. Just like the sex offenders.....register with the state & city of where they live & work. Then cities can have a whole department of people that go around checking and making sure they are being law abiding people. I know that I would vol~in~teer as well as others! Cant offord the car...... TO BAD WALK!!!! O and buy insurance a year at a time. Not only DRUNKS and DRUGGIES BUT EVERYONE!If you dont buy it or dont renew .......TO BAD!!! Boot goes on WALK!! More check points need to be out there, dont tell when and where they are going to be. The drunks are just going to go a different way... that will be a safe street to be on when they have it cuz the drunks will be on other streets. If I made someone mad..........GOOD!! U R the one who needs to stay home and drink or grab your phone instead of your keys. If some of the words are misspelled sorry I have brain damage among other things from a drunk/druged out uninsured kid. I was in a comma and life support until all my wounds healed. Had to relearn EVERYTHING Family was told that I wasnt going to make it! Doctors had no idea who they were dealing with. A person who hated drunk drivers before and even more now. Make fun of me if it makes you feel better but it just makes you look like a jerk! I am better than u!!! I am very sorry for those of you who have lost a love ones due to a drunk driver. Drinkers or anyone who has a drinker in their life this re~tore~ick~le question Would you crash into and kill or shatter the lives of your loved one? It could happen you could do it. Fumble for you phone instead of your keys PLEASE Not for yourself but for your family and others Andrea