Archive for Thursday, August 14, 2008

Democratic chairman fatally shot in office

August 14, 2008

— The man who walked into the state Democratic offices in Little Rock, Ark., claimed he wanted to support the party as a volunteer. Instead, he ended up killing the man who gave the party much of its passion.

Bill Gwatney was gunned down Wednesday at the height of state dominance of the Democratic Party, in the shadow of the state Capitol where his public service career began.

Timothy Dale Johnson, 50, burst into Gwatney's office and introduced himself before shooting him. There were no signs that Gwatney and the gunman, who was later shot and killed by police, knew each other.

Johnson may have recently lost his job, though police don't know why he targeted Gwatney, roundly praised in state political circles.

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

This is getting a lot more play in the MSM than the story about the guy in Denver who was found dead in a hotel room on Monday. He had a pound of cyanide in his room. That would be enough to kill a couple of hundred people. Wonder what he was up to?

scott3460 6 years, 4 months ago

" Just grow the hell up."Not sure that's possible, in some instances, bea.

Confrontation 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey Igby, I had someone tell me to vote for Obama. I never killed anyone. Weird.

arizonajh 6 years, 4 months ago

Igby,Did she work for Walmart or was she just a nicely dressed person? I highly doubt that a Walmart manager would walk around openly supporting Obama when the democratic party is so supportive of unions and Walmart is so anti-union. Was she a union person perhaps or maybe a campaign worker they just hadn't kicked out yet?What seems strange to me is that these attacks lately seem to be against the left. This was a Democratic chairman that was killed. The guy who shot up the church a few weeks back said he hated liberals and the liberal church. The guy in Michigan that shot the kids swimming at a bridge, his mom said he blamed liberals for his wife leaving and taking their kids. The guy with a jar full of cyanide was in Colrado right before the Dem convention. I guess it's not new, from JFK, MLK, RFK to abortion doctors to the OKC bombing, its right attacking left (I know enviromental and animal rights nutjobs from the left have damaged property but they have rarely injured anyone). I think Linnette Sqeaky Fromme was the last person from the left that actually tried to shoot a conservitive and that was 1975 or am I just blind to the gun nuts on the left or will the "liberal press" just not report all the shootings of conservatives by liberals?barrypenders, he was a Clinton supporter but had switched to be an Obama super delegate after Clinton dropped out.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

Another random act of... unkindness.And no need to "grow the hell up"... remain child-like, rather than child-ish.

jaywalker 6 years, 4 months ago

Snap,Haven't heard 'bout the cyanide guy, and that reminded me of the dead man in the hotel in Vegas, I think, that had some toxic substance as well. Whatever became of that?As to this story, what the hell is going on? Too many nutballs walking around.

hwarangdo 6 years, 4 months ago

Not sure what Wal-Mart has to do with a man being murdered ... or Obama for that matter. Are you bored?But while we're on the subject, I have heard from several sources that a certain chain store does not want it's employees showing open support for Obama because Obama is PRO-UNION and the chain store is ANTI-UNION.Meanwhile, murder is murder is murder. Ticked off person killed someone and who knows why. Sad. Stop making the incident into some conspiracy crap.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

arizonajh: She was not a Walmart employee to my knowledge. They were having some kind of meeting at the deli area, this lady and some Walmart employees. The meeting was just breaking up because I was waiting for service and the lady came up to the counter as said " you guys vote and do it for Obama". logicsound04: No one's frantic here but you. Read the MSNBC news. Someone wrote on the wall at Target and he got accused of it and was fired. He then went an shot the Dem chairman. The upper management at Target inspected the area were the writing was done but it had been removed by other employees by the time the shooting had occurred.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

About three weeks ago, I was in WalMart, near their Deli, when this lady, well dressed, professional looking was going around urging store associates to vote form Obama. I heard her tell a group of deli workers to talk to other employees and urge them to vote for Obama. Her tone was as such it was not only a order but that I't was important for them too keep theirr job. That very same week the AP reported that Walmart was doing no such thing but their stance was too support McCain; the very opposite of what was going on behind the store's employee circles. A diversion from the public eye was their goal. "Do it for Obama", was this ladies threat!This man in Arkansas, may have been getting the business from his co-workers who could have urged management too fire him because of political reasons. He may not of wanted to vote for Obama. "Do it for Obama". This was a strange conversation to over hear in Wal*mart!This guy just took his complaint right to the top and shot the guy who may have been behind the very reason he was fired from his job.

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

Unbelievable. Someone was murdered, and because of his political offiliation some people are making jokes. Consider if it was someone in your family, if your father or brother was killed for no apparent reason other than where he worked or what party he favored. Just grow the hell up.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

1029: I heard what I heard. If you think it's BS then thats your right. There was a lady there asking employees for their vote for Obama. I'm sure you don't know everything that goes on there all the time."Do it for Obama" she said...

dweezil222 6 years, 4 months ago

I used to work for Wal-Mart, and I can't see, at least on any kind of a corporate directive, them ever telling anyone to vote for a Democrat. The union issue is just too big for them. I was flatly and openly told when I started working there that if I took part in an attempt to unionize I'd be fired on the spot. Which statement, by the way, was patently illegal and a large part of the reason I only worked there briefly.

1029 6 years, 4 months ago

I feel obligated to point out that I know for a fact that Igby's claim about what he/she saw in Walmart is 100% B.S. I don't know why he/she would feel so compelled to lie about such a thing. Interesting choice of the deli area as the setting, though. There has from time to time been people in Walmart who try to talk to employees about unions, though.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 4 months ago

windell, I'll wait for your stats as well.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 4 months ago

"I guess it's not new, from jfk, mlk, rfk to abortion doctors to the OKC bombing, its right attacking left."jfk--allegedly killed by a Communist sympathizer. Hardly a right winger here.mlk--I have found nothing to indicate what party James Earl Ray was affiliated with.rfk--Sirhan Sirhan was born in Jerusalem and allegedly killed Bobby for his support for Israel. Right winger? Uh, no.abortion doctors--you might be able to make a case here based on philosophical points of view, but I believe your "evidence" would be circumstantial.OKC bomber. McVey was, in fact, an extreme right winger who targeted the Federal Government and ended up killing kids as well. I doubt you find too many Conservatives who will condone what he did.The flip side of that, let's talk about Ruby Ridge, Idaho, Waco, Texas, and Janet Reno.There are some of us who refuse to let revisionist history flourish.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 4 months ago

Kropotkin, So is Rudolph a right winger? I'm not saying he isn't, but I'm not seeing where you say he is.

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

Guardian, do you really believe that when people refuse to surrender to police or FBI, that the officials should just throw up their hands and say "What can we do? He won't come out." -- then turn and walk away? What happened in Waco was a tragedy, but it was the fault of David Koresh only. You should never loose sight of the fact that if he had simply surrendered, none of killings would have happened. Tom, wouldn't you say that the guy might have been pushed too far -- by right wing hate radio. Hip hop is blamed when somebody shoots up a nightclub, heavy metal when kids shoot up a high-school, why not right-wing talk radio for attacks by conservatives with guns? I mean, if you want to blame somebody or something other than the shooter, why not the ones who fan the flames of hate?If the members of Judas Priest can stand trial in a suicide, why not Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter in an attack like this?Or is it simply the individual who should blamed?

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

Guardian, it could have - and with hindsight being 20/20 - it certainly should have been handled differently. However, that still doesn't clear Koresh from being the true responsible party for what happened at Waco. He still should have and could have surrendered, and the government had the right to use force given the history. I'm not saying that just because of who was or wasn't in charge at the time. Ruby Ridge is a totally different matter. That was a case of law enforcement shooting innocent people. You will get no argument from me there.Now, go check out the YouTube Debate coach story, and be sure to watch the video! Talk about out of control!

Jim Phillips 6 years, 4 months ago

OK logic, prove where I'm wrong. Show me your facts. I'll wait.

Ch1mpL0gic 6 years, 4 months ago

Igby,I saw your comment and it reminded me how much I loved you in that movie they made about you, "Igby Goes Down" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280760/)! How cool is that, our very own famous guy sharing his insights with the rest of us.Do your knees get real sore? While you're down there, I hope you have the sense to multitask a bit & give thanks that this isn't a just universe. Because, if it were, a person who went around reveling in the brutal killing of an innocent guy just because of his political affiliation might be in a bit of trouble.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 4 months ago

Bea-I guess I didn't make that part clear. I don't mean to absolve Koresh of any wrong doing. He was most certainly instrumental and co-responsible for the outcome. Equal share of the blame.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 4 months ago

Beatrice, I'm sure you are aware by reading my posts that I strongly support law enforcement. Having said that, I feel I have an obligation to say so when I think it is painfully obvious that law enforcement screwed up big time. This was the case in Ruby Ridge and in Waco. One of the differences between the two was that Randy Weaver was paid a healthy chunk of change in a wrongful death suit for the killing of his wife who was holding her baby when she was shot through a closed-curtained window.The Waco tragedy was nothing but a media circus from the start. The feds knew Koresh went to town every Saturday and could have taken him without incident on any of those trips. It just wasn't grandstand enough. The media was also waiting for the ATF when they arrived at the compound when the seige started. So much for secrecy.No, I don't believe the cops should just walk away if someone doesn't come out. It's just this thing was a complete botch from the start. It should have been handled differently. And I cannot condone running a tank through a building with innocents still inside.

Frank Smith 6 years, 4 months ago

Idjit wrote: "abortion doctors-you might be able to make a case here based on philosophical points of view, but I believe your 'evidence' would be circumstantial."...In early 1997 two more bombings took place at an abortion clinic and a lesbian nightclub, both in the Atlanta area. Similarities in the bomb design forced investigators to concede that a terrorist was on the loose. Letters sent to newspapers claimed responsibility in the name of the Army of God. One more bombing of an abortion clinic, this time in Birmingham, Alabama, which killed a policeman working as a security guard and seriously injured nurse Emily Lyons, gave the FBI crucial clues including a partial license plate.The plate and other clues led the FBI to identify Eric Robert Rudolph as a suspect. Rudolph eluded capture and became a fugitive; officials believed he had disappeared into the rugged southern Appalachian Mountains, familiar from his youth. On May 5, 1998, the FBI named him as one of its ten most wanted fugitives and offered a $1,000,000 reward for information leading directly to his arrest. On October 14, 1998, the Department of Justice formally named Rudolph as its suspect in all four bombings.By 1999, on the third anniversary of the bombing, Rudolph had not been seen for over a year, and authorities sometimes voiced a belief or hope that Rudolph had succumbed to the elements. After more than five years on the run, Rudolph was arrested on May 31, 2003, in Murphy, North Carolina. On April 8, 2005, the government announced Rudolph would plead guilty to all four bombings, including the Centennial Olympic Park attack.