Archive for Friday, August 8, 2008

Person injured in fall from third-floor balcony

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical personnel watch an air ambulance take off Friday morning from the parking lot of Hobby Lobby on 23rd Street. The air ambulance was carrying Sean Ragan, a 19-year-old male victim of a fall from a third-floor balcony at Campus Court at Naismith apartments, 1301 W. 24th St.

August 8, 2008, 5:48 a.m. Updated August 9, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Person flown to hospital after fall from balcony

A person was flown to an area hospital Friday morning after falling from a third-floor balcony in the 1300 block of West 24th Street. Enlarge video

Lawrence police are trying to determine why a 19-year-old man fell early Friday morning from a third-floor apartment balcony.

Residents of the Campus Court at Naismith apartments, 1301 W. 24th St., said they awoke early Friday morning to a loud thud, followed by a lot of noise.

When they looked outside, they discovered a tenant of a nearby apartment had fallen from a third-floor balcony to the pavement below.

Police identified the victim as Sean Ragan, a resident of the complex.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical workers and police were called just before 5:30 a.m. to Building K at the apartment complex.

One woman, a nearby tenant who lives on the second floor, said she was an emergency medical technician in the military so she rushed to help. She said the man was in shock and appeared to be suffering from a head injury.

Kansas University spokesman Todd Cohen confirmed that Ragan is the son of Ron Ragan, associate dean for academic affairs at KU's School of Pharmacy.

Ragan was flown to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., by a helicopter ambulance. Late Friday night, the hospital still was not releasing Ragan's condition.

Police said the investigation into what caused the fall from the balcony is ongoing.

Balcony fall hospitalizes 19-year-old

A Lawrence man is seriously injured after falling from a third-floor balcony at a south Lawrence apartment complex.

Comments

another_concerned_parent 7 years ago

From the picture it looks like the Oaks apts. To the south of First Med

PeteJayhawk 7 years ago

I'm sure the management team of Campus Court at Naimsmith is just THRILLED that the LJW is using the old name. Hey, at least they didn't call it Felony Hoods...

gwjayhawk 7 years ago

That is most likely Colony Woods apartments, unless it's the small complex across the street (of which I don't know the name).

Mike Blur 7 years ago

Hey Pete ya beat me to it!Last time I delivered a pizza to the Hoods (about 6 years ago) I was wondering about the structural integrity of their rotting stairwells. Maybe they replaced the stairwells in the interim (I certainly hope so) but if not, I wouldn't doubt structural failure led to the young person's misfortune.

dangthatswack 7 years ago

Informed (Anonymous) says: MacHeath wrote:"Some of you need to be a lot more careful of what you say.You are going to piss off the wrong father, brother, or friend someday:"___I dunno, sounds a bit like a threat.I personally know his brother and he is a great friend of mine. This is either my first post or one of them cause this on truly connects to me. I know when i first heard of what had happened, I cried. All i could think about is him and his family in this difficult time. Truly I think a time like this is not good for you to be be criticizing him. A better thing to do would be is to send him your prayers or just shut your mouth. And then maybe people wont be threatening you cause you have pissed me off and i am not a direct friend of his.

LawrenceTownie 7 years ago

This balcony fall happened just one day after a mother read a statement in the Lawrence courts regarding her daughter's tragic fall which left her severely damaged with no hope of recovery. Hopefully this student has a better results and has a full recovery and is able to attend school. Why do these falls keep happening right before school starts? I do wish this student the best.

Mike Blur 7 years ago

LawrenceTownie, Sara Driessel's "accident" happen two months after school started in October 2004. Please get your facts straight before posting inane crap.

guesswho 7 years ago

Mike, Lawrencetownie is refering to the statement the mother read. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/aug.... Please get your facts straight before criticizing others.

brunette7 7 years ago

I used to live in that apartment complex and just like hawksfan described... I used to see people climb up the balcony to get in the back door (balcony door). Luckily I lived on the first floor and ignorantly my roomies and I never locked our doors so there was never a need to go through the balcony. I feel incredibly awful for this kid... I hope and pray for a full recovery.

oldvet 7 years ago

I wonder if they will release the blood-alcohol on this one... another .24 falling-down-drunk?

Buggie7 7 years ago

Campus Court at Naismith Apts is the old Colony Woods Apts. That is where it happened

Confrontation 7 years ago

We need to start placing strong metal cages around all balconies. This should keep people from injuring themselves and then suing the owner of the building.

sherbert 7 years ago

I thought the girl in the Driessel case climbed out a window onto a roof. If that's the case, big difference.

igby 7 years ago

Politically correct idiots!

justthefacts 7 years ago

To paraphrase the author of many books (you guess who):There must be a yearning deep in the human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Most rules, laws etc. - are always meant for the other fellow. Because people rarely say "Please pass this law or rule so that I won't be able to do something I know I should stop." No, it is always something we want our neighbors to do or stop doing. Stop them for their own good. But leave me alone. Building codes are probably a good and necessary thing - unless we want to more severely penalize the owners of defective buildings where the defect causes much harm. We might see a lot fewer balconies (let alone balcony accidents) if after an accident due to a defect in a balcony the owners of buildings were pushed off from the same height. However, short of killing them at birth (or before) there is no way possible to guard all human beings against every kind of harm that may befall them as they grow older. We rarely need a new law. What we may need is more common sense and punishments that more closely reflect the damges caused by us. For example, if an accident caused by someone results in a young person being seriously impaired for life, the person causing the damage should become responsible for caring for the injurred person, for the rest of their life. That kind of thing might cut back on negligent (or deliberate) actions that harm others, far more then a few thousand more rules and laws designed to further regulate every one else's conduct.

Ragingbear 7 years ago

myopinion 7 years ago

Police said they were originally called in response to a disturbance. When they arrived, they found Ragan on the ground, approximately 25 feet below the third-story balcony.Are we so sure how or why he fell?

LadyJ 7 years ago

Let's hope no crimminals read HawksFan417 post. Note to residents, lock the balconey door.

heidilw 7 years ago

pull through sean. our prayers are with you.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years ago

"I wouldn't doubt structural failure led to the young person's misfortune."Or, more likely, someone was drunk.

kujayhawk 7 years ago

Maybe because the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Bob Forer 7 years ago

SORRY FOLKS, BUT MY TIRADE WAS TOO LONG FOR ONE WINDOW, AND i SCREWED UP IN DIVIDING IT UP. LET ME TRY AGAIN. SORRY FOR THE WASTE OF SPACE ABOVE. Again, like all LJW stories that spark public interest, the infinite and eternal cloud of good vs. evil provokes lively debate. On the right, we have the staid conservatives eager to invoke "personal responsibility," and the accompanying inference that this was just another drunk student, whom, as the saying goes, made his bed and must sleep in it. And then there is the so-called left whom invariably focus on the clearly indicated (to them, anyway) "party line": There goes another miserly, irresponsible, and greedy landlord (no, not just landlord, but slumlord), whom always takes, and never gives back. . Time for a lecture all. Right and left , liberal and conservative, etc, etc , ad nauseam, are antiqued, artificial and meaningless distinctions. For me, "personal responsibility" is always a given cornerstone of modern civilized democracy, and unworthy of partisan debate. The individual, as well as the entity, has responsibility to not only himself or itself, but the community. In a similar vein, we live in an exchange community, where goods and services are traded for both profit and human consumption. Nothing especially complicated here. Humanity has been engaged in one form of commerce or another since we starting recording history. There are good business practices and bad ones. Ideally, it's the good business or corporationthe ones which provide necessary and useful servicewho thrives, and s justly rewarded for the "societal good" they spread. But let's not be naive, its doesn't always work that way. Often, the public is hoodwinked by an illusion of public good. History has demonstrated that one can make a fortune while simultaneously burning the masses. The simple point I am trying to make is this: just as all students are not hapless, accident prone drunks, not all landlords are slumlords. Like indiviudal responsibility, or the lack thereof, each case should be decided on its merits. Equal justice for all, they say, on a case by case basis, no less. . With those thoughts in mind, I am astonished that a "dog biters man" story is worthy of "spirited" (read drunk) and marked public comment. Given the Joe Friday tenor of the story ("the facts, ma'am just the fact"), we can only speculate whether the dog, the man, an inconvenient rabid squirrel, or "Mister Nobdy" is to blame. Forty two comments, all while we are mired in a absurd war, the economy is in the bucket, America is losing its worldwide respect, and John McCain is taking the most important national election in memory towards new lows. The Lincoln Douglas debates? Thats old hat, when you have Paris Hilton and Britney Spears to shape the future of the "last best hope for the Human Race." (CONT BELOW)

lootah0506 7 years ago

Whether they were drunk or not, three stories is a long way to fall, I hope they're okay and I wish them a speedy recovery :)

sunflower1990 7 years ago

please do not call him an idiot beobachter, the accident was idiotic and the actions involved were also idiotic, but you cannot call somebody whose life is on the line right now an idiot.

sunflower1990 7 years ago

accident or not calling him an idiot isn't helping anyone feel better but yourself, but go ahead, maybe your name calling will heal his injuries and help his family and friends during this hard time.

CarterFaucheaux 7 years ago

Beobachter is a sad, sad human being and the perfect example of what is wrong with the internet. I don't care what the circumstances of the fall were; our little friend beobachter manages to show that tact is far beyond his comprehension, not to mention compassion or humanity.

lahothan 7 years ago

Indeed it does... if he had been a father, brother, or friend... gotta learn to read wigum

Clickker 7 years ago

"Police said they were originally called in response to a disturbance. When they arrived, they found Ragan on the ground, approximately 25 feet below the third-story balcony."Here we go again. The LJW, through very poor reporting, causes some ambiguity and everyone just assumes Sean fell due to being drunk. The way the article read prompts some questions, that would have been mitigated by better copy..(ie journalism 101)..1) Were the police earlier called in response to a disturbance ( this would imply some sort of fight)..or2) Were they called to the location in a response to a disturbance, which happened to be the commotion surrounding the fall.The way they wrote the article, it is unclear.

pissedinlawrence 7 years ago

so hawks, your saying alcohol didnt have anything to do with it, he was just an idiot? so he lives there and doesnt have a key? ....at 5 in the morning...

kansasrose 7 years ago

I cannot imagine what his family is going through. My prayers and GOOD THOUGHTS are with Sean and his friends and family during this difficult time. I hope we can stop this nonsense of deciding what or whom is to blame. Just care for your fellow Lawrence citizen!

Bob Forer 7 years ago

So I say to ye all (and I am guilty as wellyes I authored this rant ), let's get our priorities straight here. While I don't suggest this incident is without any meaning, don't we have a few more pressing issues to discuss, debate, and solve. Its up to all of us. W can either fiddle discordantly while American Democracy burns, or take care of business. Its not about left or right , right or wrong, Republican or Democratic. Those issues were settled by our founding fathers. Its about time we consider those three words which preface the modern world's most sacred document: WE THE PEOPLE. . The Great American Statesman Abraham Lincoln admonished the nation--Blue and Gray, Black and White, Republican, Democrat and Whig, rural and city, north and south, free and enslaved: at Gettysburg "that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Its all very simple if you ponder it a bit. 42 comments about window dressing and garden club gossip on the heels of a miserable 12 per cent voter turnout in last Tuesday's Kansas primary. Sure, its easier to speculate on minutiae, especially when the choice we are given at the polls is arguably less than adequateBut then again, its about democracy, stupid.

CarterFaucheaux 7 years ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says:Why, because I don't have a high level of tolerance for stupid acts?____No, because you're being an a$$hole about it while someone is in the ICU and his family and friends are undoubtedly already upset. I'm sure you've done stupid things before in your life. Luckily, you are still alive despite that and hopefully people will be more compassionate towards your situation if something ever does happen to you.

hujiko 7 years ago

I know Sean, went to jr high and high school with him and I can tell you that the fall definitely involved alcohol or drugs

KatB73 7 years ago

That is it!! I demand an immediate halt to all Spiderman movies!! If he didn't make kids today think they could climb buildings three stories in the air and not fall.....everyone would be okay. And I would suggest any attorneys investigate whether that balcony had a warning label.

heidilw 7 years ago

It doesn't matter what the actions that led to this are. it doesn't if drugs or alcohol caused this. it doesn't matter at this point. the accident happened. as everyone knows, hindsight is 20/20. lets send good thoughts and prayers in sean's direction tonight. he needs them. once again, our prayers are with you sean.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years ago

beobachter: "It was not an accident, it was stupidity."Maybe it was just a stupid accident ( ... but... that would be redundant ) .

OnlyTheOne 7 years ago

Myopinion, are we sure he "fell?"Students have been known to argue and engage in horseplay.

heidilw 7 years ago

yeah beobachter i'm sure it was on purpose. you're right..i'm sorry. idiot.

Pleiades 7 years ago

Where is a sense of compassion people? Why dont you all quit speculating, pointing fingers, & kickin dirt and wake up. The first and most important issue is Sean.Sean and his family need all the positive energy possible sent their way. This is a tragic loss, show some love and understanding. I commend the few of you who get it. The rest of you pay attention.To the entire Ragan Family - I share your pain.

lahothan 7 years ago

Given the nature of this event, Mr. Beobachter, you may feel justified in saying what you've said, but given this situation you may want to reconsider your choice of words. I've worked with this guy for a couple months, which is just enough to show a little compassion for his serious injury. My capacity to mourn however, is nothing compared to the people that have known and worked with him for much longer. I watched two of his friends cry their eyes out right in front of me while I was on the clock just today, and it was almost enough to bring me to tears as well. I'm not trying to say there are not idiotic people in this world, but there is definitely a lack of necessity for pointing out such faults. I'm not gonna degrade you with asinine names, although there is slight temptation, but I imagine if this had involved someone whom you knew, you're reaction would be somewhat similar to mine own.

Bob Forer 7 years ago

sunflower1990 7 years ago

beobachter, seriously? if you had even met sean once in your life, you'd know that he is one of the most wonderful, genuine, and kind people in the world. he is an amazing individual and friend, and i just hope that when he comes out of this, he doesn't read these comments.

Clickker 7 years ago

Wow--just a tragic deal, and NO ONE should be posting anything negative. Really serves no moral purpose.

shutuporstepup 7 years ago

i hope the best for sean and his family. seans a good young man who is willing to take risks. thats why he has so many people wishing him well. and why there are so many idiots worried about alcohol or tax money. the ones wishing him well are the ones he risked to befriend, to share his smile with, to share himself with. the others are jealous because they are afraid to do the same. and no one cares about an oldvet, a batcher, or someone pissedinlawerance. they will never get it. but anyone who met sean or his family has. so if you feel threatend, offended, or jealous shut up. your fear is not ours. our fear is that we have not stepped up enough for sean and his family.

ak22 7 years ago

thank you shutuporstepup.I've gone to school with Sean since elementary school, and he is one of the most genuine people I know. He always has a smile on and is always befriending people and isn't afraid to acknowledge someone he might not even be that close to, but who he still knows. Please stop talking badly of him and joking of someone who is suffering. It's incredibly disrespectful to him and everyone that knows him. My other friend was in the horrendous car accident earlier this week, and now Sean and her are both in critical condition in the hospital. As much as their friends try to ignore your comments, they're extremely hurtful because we read the articles and the comments over and over for a sense of support from anyone. So please stop, and please keep our friends in your thoughts in a positive manner.

ak22 7 years ago

Well first off, Erica wasn't even driving in the car accident, and no one even positively knows what caused the car accident.Second off, Sean and I have grown apart a lot through high school, but he is still someone I've known for pretty much all my life, and who I will and do care about. People make bad judgments and make mistakes. It's just unfortunate that my friends were the ones that were injured from acts that probably occur often but other people walk away from. It doesn't help to make fun of the situation and talk badly because if anything, everyone is learning from these accidents, and it's horrible that something so tragic has to happen to make people learn. So don't judge me and try to warn me of my friends or people I care about.

Linda Endicott 7 years ago

Beo (or should that be B.O.?) apparently has never had any kind of accident in his life, and has never done anything that he realized afterward probably wasn't the best thing to do...He must be perfect...

Aisling 7 years ago

"So it sounds like your circle of friends all seem to be making very poor decisions?"Oh Beo, why? Do you make those comments just to stir things up? Feel better about yourself? Why? I just want to understand what motivates you to act this way? I just...oh nevermind, I'm giving you far too much power to control my emotions and that right there is probably what motivates you.....sigh

PinkMinxie 7 years ago

If there were no democrats, there'd be no one to hypocritcally preach the benefits of "tolerance", "diversity" and "peace and love", while they at the same time verbally condemn those who have the Audacity to disagree with them. That is what's wrong with all you liberals...you "love diversity" but only until a Republican shows up and disagrees with you...then U completely lose your footing...and your argument.

not_dolph 7 years ago

Welcome back Sven:I mean madmikesuxcox:Didn't take him long to return with yet a new moniker. Interesting that he would pick this one. How do we know it is Sven Alstrom?1. Has posted 18 times today, and is brand new.2. Same posts on multiple threads.3. Posting youtube links.4. Uses the term Sabbath:which harkens back to his Jewish heritage.LJW has already booted this madmikesu#co#, but remember to add this name to the list of other spidercoolsvenjaguarmettamadmikesu#co# identities for Sven.

Kimbow 7 years ago

I don't read this things because you always seem to have someone or many that always have to have negative responces. I have been reading this one for the fact to find out what I can. I don't know Sean but my son does. I live 7 hours away and I want to know as much as I can on how Sean is doing. My son tells me what he knows but I keep reading to see is there is any up dates. Thanks to you who have added to here. My son is a friend and a work mate. He just moved into the same Apartment complex. He was woken up by friends and came to Seans side and his friends while they waited for help. Keep the positive coming and the prayers and just remember someone always has to be negative force just try to over power it with positive thoughts.