Archive for Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Nebraska senator asks judge to allow lawsuit against God

August 6, 2008

— State Sen. Ernie Chambers says his lawsuit against God might seem funny but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a serious point.

Chambers asked Douglas County District Judge Marlon Polk on Tuesday to let his lawsuit proceed. Chambers said he wants to make the point that everyone should have access to the courts regardless of whether they are poor or have the means of billionaire Warren Buffett of Omaha.

"What brought me to the point of filing this lawsuit was the ill-advised attempts by certain legislators to prevent the filing of certain lawsuits," Chambers said.

Polk said he would consider the issue and rule later.

Chambers acknowledges using wit and humor in the lawsuit he filed last September seeking a permanent injunction against God. Chambers said God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents in Omaha, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

The court told Chambers last week that his lawsuit may be dismissed because he had failed to serve notice on God. Chambers acknowledged that failure in court Tuesday while sitting a few feet away from an empty table reserved for God and God's attorney.

"Despite my most sincere, zealous efforts, I could not find a location to serve the defendant," Chambers said.

But Chambers asked Polk to take official notice of God, and the Almighty's omniscience and omnipresence.

Chambers argued that courts and the U.S. government already routinely take notice of God. Courts swear in witnesses with an oath that includes the phrase "so help me God." Plus, the pledge of allegiance describes "one nation, under God," and U.S. currency proclaims "In God We Trust."

And the senator said that if the court recognizes God, the deity wouldn't need formal notice of the lawsuit because he knows everything. And God would be at every hearing because he's omnipresent.

A senator for 38 years, Chambers skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians. He is being pushed out of the Legislature by term limits.

Comments

BigPrune 5 years, 7 months ago

Here's some Change You Can Believe In. From the party of the godless.

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 8 months ago

As someone who grew up in Nebraska I'm familiar with Chambers' antics. I supported him completely when he wore casual clothes on the unicameral floor to protest smoking being permitted...however, when that was no longer permitted he still refused to dress more fornally and his behavior just became more and more bizarre.He is a very bitter, hateful and racist man. He is at least as racist as Obama, and the only person I can think of that may even be more racist than Obama!!

Rationalanimal 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds eerily similar to a lot of people on here. The reply service is not because the defendant does not exist, but rather evidences how little the defendant thinks of the plaintiff's self-importance.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

"... while sitting a few feet away from an empty table reserved for God and God's attorney."Whoa... God's attorney... you mean... ... ... SATAN!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

duplenty: "It's amazing that with all the information available, STRS still doesn't undersatnd the ACLU:"Are you suggesting that he hasn't A CLU?

Eybea Opiner 5 years, 8 months ago

heysoos says, "Considering that all of those violate the 1st amendment, they should change:"Actually, the 1st amendment says that CONGRESS shall not PASS A LAW that ESTABLISHES RELIGION or prohibits the free exercise thereof.Having "In God We Trust" on money is not, in any way, a law that establishes a religion.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 8 months ago

"Number of people killed in the bible by:God: 2,391,421Satan: 10"===========================================So, I guess this means that God is a right wing Conservative who believes in capital punishment and Satan is a left wing Liberal who believes in rehabilitation.I'm OK with that.

Quigly 5 years, 8 months ago

I am going to sue god for making my wife ugly. OHHHH.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 8 months ago

What surprises me more is that the idiot judge has let him get this far.

voltage 5 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if he'd add murder to the list of things he's taking god to court for. Murder isn't covered under any statute of limitation. He could file another claim against the devil, I guess. I think the numbers show that god is the one that needs to be taken to court for his actions.Number of people killed in the bible by:God: 2,391,421Satan: 10

75x55 5 years, 8 months ago

State senator for 38 years.....There's yer problem!

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Beo, using court resources to make a point about how others waste court resources isn't what I think of as a good use of tax dollars. There are other ways to go about this. I'm not defending the evangelicals, but two wrongs don't make a right and this kind of grandstanding by politicians bugs me.

Michael Capra 5 years, 8 months ago

two bolts from god and burn his bush and away gos chambers

beobachter 5 years, 8 months ago

No Bea, he is using this to point out the total absurdity of evangelical Christians. How much court time and costs have been incurred by the evangelicals and other christian right wingers on stupidity like posting 10 commandments?

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

dandelion,The American Center for Law and Justice

dandelion 5 years, 8 months ago

STRS, Who will you get to defend you if your right to free speech is violated if you don't use the ACLU? They defend anyone, whether or not they agree with them.

Agnostick 5 years, 8 months ago

Just realized... this case could go on forever. Literally.I mean... what happens when God starts calling His/Her.."Witnesses?"

Confrontation 5 years, 8 months ago

Too bad this guy has to leave. He makes much more sense than any Christian I've ever met. By the way, I thought the Pope had some erotic, er, I mean exotic connection with God. Can't the allmighty Pope deliver the notice to your God?

Agnostick 5 years, 8 months ago

SettingTheRecordStraight (Anonymous) says:"I'm sure the ACLU supports this guy. If the ACLU has its way, our national motto will change, our Pledge of Allegiance will change, our currency will change, and courtroom oaths will change."_________Not surprised to find that you're a blasphemer...

Agnostick 5 years, 8 months ago

tjhoops69, excellent point! I suspect for that very reason, the lawsuit will be thrown out on a technicality.Nice to see patriotman all frothed up over this...

tjhoops69 5 years, 8 months ago

moreso....exactly what God is he suing?? There are many, Muslims have a God, Buddahist have a God, Christians have a God and they are not the same person, so just exactly which God is this clown suing???

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

guardian: "Liberalism at its finest. This is the "change" you want?" In a word -- NO! This is an absolute waste of time and is just political grandstanding on the state senator's part. He clearly thinks he is being clever. This is an embarrassment to the left the way a Pat Robertson might be to the right. It does not explain liberalism, just the ideas of this one goofy person, nothing more. He should be billed for the court's time he has wasted with this nonsense.

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 8 months ago

What a waste of tax dollars. The "I'm gonna sue God!" shtick appeared on episodes of "Touched By an Angel" and "Ally McBeal"...and apparently "Boston Legal" according to the info in the post above. Seriously, who elects these fools?

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

a senator for 38 years, being pushed out by term limits? How often do you reckon that one comes up? May be time to go on out to the pasture. He'll probably be struck by lighting if he does.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 8 months ago

He should have been pushed out for being an idiot. Yet another example of an elected official that had an agenda of his own which didn't include representing those who elected him and move his state forward. The downward slide continues.

heysoos 5 years, 8 months ago

"If the ACLU has its way, our national motto will change, our Pledge of Allegiance will change, our currency will change, and courtroom oaths will change."Considering that all of those violate the 1st amendment, they should change...

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

And, the ACLU reprehensibly supports the National Man Boy Love Association (NAMBLA). The ACLU is repugnant - truly beyond disgusting.

moo 5 years, 8 months ago

"I'm sure the ACLU supports this guy. If the ACLU has its way, our national motto will change, our Pledge of Allegiance will change, our currency will change, and courtroom oaths will change."Well they should change. Take the oath example: I don't believe in god, so how does adding "so help me god" hold me to my oath? Just speaking totally practically, doesn't it make a lot more sense to swear an oath that does not involve responsibility to a deity many Americans don't acknowledge? And this lawsuit is a total waste of time and money. Pretty amusing, though.

Satirical 5 years, 8 months ago

The ACLU is selective in its defense of the Constitution liberties.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

It's amazing that with all the information available, STRS still doesn't undersatnd the ACLU...

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years, 8 months ago

Jackie Jackasserson 5 years, 8 months ago

Igby - that assumes that the devil is omnipresent as well as god - considering many of the crimes alluded to in the suite are committed simultaneously and in different parts of the world.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 8 months ago

Liberalism at its finest. This is the "change" you want? I do like the theatrics though, regardless of how stupid, time-wasting and expensive his antics are. God help us all.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

God may know everything but I sure the Devil is the person who did the crime. Chambers, could serve him himself!