Archive for Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beheading suspect: ‘Please kill me’

August 6, 2008

— A man accused of stabbing and beheading another passenger on a Greyhound bus in Canada pleaded Tuesday in court for someone to "please kill me," and was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

Prosecutor Joyce Dalmyn, who argued for the evaluation, revealed new details about the attack last Wednesday night. She said Vince Weiguang Li had a plastic bag containing his victim's ear, nose and part of a mouth in his pocket when officers arrested him. The only response officers received from him was: "'I have to stay on the bus forever,'" Dalmyn said.

In an interview with police after his arrest, Li declined to speak for the most part, said Dalmyn. On four occasions, however, he did indicate in a low voice that he is guilty, she said.

Li, who immigrated to Canada from China in 2004, is charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of 22-year-old carnival worker Tim McLean - an attack which witnesses aboard the bus said appeared to be unprovoked. He has yet to enter a plea.

Li was scheduled to appear Tuesday to determine whether he should undergo psychiatric testing, but the judge in Portage La Prairie adjourned the hearing for a short recess to allow a legal aid attorney to confer with him.

Since his arrest, Li has declined to speak to prosecutors and his court-appointed attorney.

When asked again by the judge after the recess if he wanted a lawyer, Li shook his head and then quietly said "please kill me."

Dalmyn said many heard the plea.

"There were some people in the courtroom that were taken aback by it," Dalmyn told The Associated Press. "Those were the only words I heard him utter in the courtroom."

Dalmyn said Li appeared to understand what the judge was asking him.

"He shook his head in response to questions from the judge. Some shakes of his appeared to be in the affirmative. Some of them appeared to be in the negative," Dalmyn said.

He is due back in court Sept. 8.

Thirty-seven passengers were aboard the Greyhound from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, as it traveled at night along a desolate stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway about 12 miles from Portage La Prairie. Some were napping and others watching the movie "The Legend of Zorro" on bus television screens when Li attacked McLean, allegedly stabbing him dozens of times.

As horrified passengers fled the bus, Li severed McLean's head, displaying it to some of the passengers outside the bus, witnesses said.

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years ago

Even if it is not apparent that anything "positive" can be done with/for this individual, let us at least refrain from doing anything negative.We can contain him; we have no right to render the existential judgment.( And if money is the measure of a life, then we are but commodities. )

ReadingSports 6 years ago

Igby, Not funny, not one bit. Seriously folks, what's sad is that this person can probably get quite a bit better with treatment. No to say that there shouldn't be consequences for his actions, nor he should ever be let out in public, again. But this is what the insanity plea is for. Killing this poor sick man wouldn't bring justice, nor would it bring back the victim. It would just be revenge.

gkwhdw 6 years ago

This is the thanks we Americans get for letting all the foreign people migrate to this wonderful free land. Send threm back home!

igby 6 years ago

Must of been the Zorro flick that got him all wound up!Z!

XEPCT 6 years ago

"You think "white americans" are the only people who want monocultural countries? In fact "white people" the only race without a country to call their own."Invictus, I know that you don't know, that you don't know in any way, shape or form what you are talking about; and I can only hope that you don't ever leave America to give people in other countries the idea that you exemplify Americans. Oh wait a second ... you can go to Belarus aka WHITE-Russia and you can have your perfect white person utopia there. I hear it's quite nice, didn't Lee Harvey Oswald spend time in Minsk? I think he liked it, and you should too.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

"Please help my flawed thinking patterns, Defender."omebodysay orgotfay ishay edsmay.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

Satirical,"Yes, but mercy cannot rob justice."Sooo, You're going to stand in front of the Great White Throne then?

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Can't do that in Canada.

XEPCT 6 years ago

Satirical, I trust that you were in fact being satirical.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

...Great White Throne...Revelations, look it up.Also Mercy Seat. Or Bema Seat. I'm thinking, from other posts, that you were going to be in front of the Mercy Seat.But not assuming or judging. Giving an example of mercy trumping justice, not a personal comment.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

Invictus,I said it once, I'll say it again. Wow...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years ago

'I have to stay on the bus forever'So... he was traveling crosstown on the T?

christy kennedy 6 years ago

Igby,It's rather stunning that you think you've found humor in this situation.

Satirical 6 years ago

Tony88:"isn't conservatism the ideology that encourages self-dependence rather than interdependence, self-interest rather than social interest"Liberalism is the philosophy of being compassionate enough to vote for someone else (the government) to help out others with someone else's money. It is not about individuals helping each other. It is not truly compassionate.Conservatism is the philosophy of personal responsibility (not "self-interest") and strong moral values, including the Judeo-Christian value of helping ones neighbor. However, it doesn't surprise me that most liberals don't understand what conservative and liberal philosophyreally entail, otherwise many would be conservatives.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

"Not to say..." not "No to say..."Defender,I wouldn't go that far. Focus on the actions, don't judge the person.

coolmom 6 years ago

Satirical 6 years ago

ReadingSports..."Justice should always be tempered with mercy."Yes, but mercy cannot rob justice.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

"Liberals put down Schiavo..." I ain't no liberal. Not even close. Nor do I agree with what happened there.Not sure where the bored thing came from. Other than my poking fun at invictus.

LooPerkinsucks 6 years ago

Good grief, ReadingSports! You must be bored... If you have nothing better to do on the net, you should google this...2 girls, 1cupVery interesting, and multicultural

50YearResident 6 years ago

I say grant his wish................!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years ago

Evidently, you've never made the crosstown journey on the T.

jaywalker 6 years ago

Thank you, jonas. What is it these days where nutballs have to take others with them? Or kill someone in order to get the police to shoot 'em down? Misery loves company has taken on new twist.

LooPerkinsucks 6 years ago

Damn, you guys must be as bored as me! How many of you checked out 2 girls, 1 cup?

july241983 6 years ago

"those illnesses dont put others in danger, rabies does i fail to see what you are trying to say? didnt you ever watch old yeller?"____Do we kill people who get rabies?

ReadingSports 6 years ago

"Send them back home!"Does this mean I have to go back to Germany?Guess I have to learn German.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

coolmom,Might want to think that one through. So we 'put down' any person according to the standards used for animals?Anyone with cancer, MS, AIDS, parkinson's...?

Satirical 6 years ago

Tony88:"hah!"Wow that is the best liberal counter-argument I have heard in a while. I bow to your intellictual superiority in clearly refuting me. (Xpect, this is sarcasm)------------------------------------------ReadingSports:"Sooo, You're going to stand in front of the Great White Throne then?"What are you talking about?-------------------------------------------Xepct:"Satirical, I trust that you were in fact being satirical."While I often use satire and humor, in this case I am not.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

lsense, I know you're upset, me too. This is beyond horrible. Words fail to describe how I feel about this.But, Please read my post and the article. Prosecution asked for the evaluation. I said they shouldn't let him out in public again. But if the guy did this, because he's sick then he should be treated, and he shouldn't be executed if he's not competent to stand trial.

jonas 6 years ago

Just kill yourself if it means that much to you. There's always a way if you're dedicated enough.

coolmom 6 years ago

animals who have been bitten by a rabid animal and become infected are put down as a mercy and for public saftey. this should be the justice that is applied to this man as well.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

Sorry, I quoted US Law. Forgot this happened in Canada, hopefully they have due process as well.Doh!

ReadingSports 6 years ago

"If you kill someone (other than in self defense), your right to live is forfeit."Under US Law after "due process".While I agree with the statement, I would also say that while justice is blind, mercy isn't.Justice should always be tempered with mercy.

PapaB 6 years ago

The severity of what he did lends me to believe he is beyond rehabilitation and needs to be removed from this existence. Would you ever want to sit next to this guy if he sneaks out of the system through some loophole?

coolmom 6 years ago

ok, save him and bring him back to "normal" then let him know what he did. how is that any less cruel? he asked to be killed whatever set him off he is not safe anywhere even in prison. could it be a death sentence for even other prisoners? how is that fair? in my younger days i didnt believe in the death penalty but that has changed over time when i see people do such awful things and laugh about it. do awful things and go free and hurt people again and again. in this day you never know when in the great pinball game of life someone is going to bounce off you for no reason and harm you or yours. my newest teen whom we adopted a few months ago was horribly abused and nothing ever happened to those people. they still have kids they are still abusing they could be your neighbors and a danger to your kids. why cant we protect our families? i can see in my mind that young mans family imagining the horrible way he died. the pain....

ReadingSports 6 years ago

Coolmom,I don't know how to react to what you're saying. Yes, I know there is evil in the world, and I too have experienced it firsthand. (I'll leave that thought unfinished.)But there is good, and there is grace, and there is mercy, and there is forgiveness. And I'm not saying that this man's recovery won't be very hard. But it won't be cruel to tell him what he has done. The truth is never cruel, hard sometimes, yes. At the very least he should understand what he did. But he can still have a life, even incarcerated. And the other prisoners are probably more dangerous to him than he is to them. Yes, if he was in his right mind then he should be tried for capital murder, but I doubt that he was. I'm sorry about your situation. I hope you can forgive those people for the abuse your teen suffered, and I pray that your teen's scars can be healed. Someday they will be judged for their actions, and a lot worse than any court or police can dish out.

coolmom 6 years ago

lol, rabies kills people. guns dont kill, people do...? i dont think anything positive can be done with this killer. i am sorry he is a crazy killer but i am more sorry for the young innocent man who was horribly stabbed to death, had his head cut off and had bits of his body eaten...i do not think the crazy killer comes back from that but the humane thing is to put him out of his misery. i am more sorry for that young mans mother, father, first grade teacher and the people who had to witness all that then i could ever be for the murderer. so now people spend tons of money to try him and treat him and keep him for his life? why? i know hungry kids. abused women. injured soldiers. all who could use that money/time/energy.

50YearResident 6 years ago

According to the thinking of ReadingSports we may as well abolish the laws and close the jails, never prosecute or arrest anyone as... "Someday they will be judged for their actions, and a lot worse than any court or police can dish out". Someday?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years ago

Oh, alright... Py, whack 'em!( and the last several posters, as well )

TopJayhawk 6 years ago

I'll say it again. The guy is psycotic. Probably from either paranoid schizophrenia, or bi-polar. If all would take their meds, I would be out fo business. They are getting that good. But non-compliance is the order of the day.Also, I think Canada has a limit of fifteen yrs in prison. No matter what crime is comitted.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

Pywacket, I agree. Well said.TopJayhawk, "Canada has a limit of fifteen yrs". You're kidding!!! That's lame...Really lame...Did I say lame? If if this man is found to be a paranoid schizophrenic he should be locked up, because they have a tendency to 'forget' their meds, and as bad as he is he will kill again.

ReadingSports 6 years ago

50 year Resident,Didn't actually read my post did you? Too much time in Lawrence has muddied your comprehension. Yes, I'm a Christian... And I was responding to someone that was upset that someone else "got away" with something. We should punish criminals for the good of society. That is the primary function of governments, to protect the populace. However governments, being human and flawed don't always 'get' the bad guy. However, God always 'gets' the bad guy. (Although, that isn't the purpose of Christianity, to 'get' the bad guy.)