Archive for Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beheading suspect: ‘Please kill me’

August 6, 2008

— A man accused of stabbing and beheading another passenger on a Greyhound bus in Canada pleaded Tuesday in court for someone to "please kill me," and was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

Prosecutor Joyce Dalmyn, who argued for the evaluation, revealed new details about the attack last Wednesday night. She said Vince Weiguang Li had a plastic bag containing his victim's ear, nose and part of a mouth in his pocket when officers arrested him. The only response officers received from him was: "'I have to stay on the bus forever,'" Dalmyn said.

In an interview with police after his arrest, Li declined to speak for the most part, said Dalmyn. On four occasions, however, he did indicate in a low voice that he is guilty, she said.

Li, who immigrated to Canada from China in 2004, is charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of 22-year-old carnival worker Tim McLean - an attack which witnesses aboard the bus said appeared to be unprovoked. He has yet to enter a plea.

Li was scheduled to appear Tuesday to determine whether he should undergo psychiatric testing, but the judge in Portage La Prairie adjourned the hearing for a short recess to allow a legal aid attorney to confer with him.

Since his arrest, Li has declined to speak to prosecutors and his court-appointed attorney.

When asked again by the judge after the recess if he wanted a lawyer, Li shook his head and then quietly said "please kill me."

Dalmyn said many heard the plea.

"There were some people in the courtroom that were taken aback by it," Dalmyn told The Associated Press. "Those were the only words I heard him utter in the courtroom."

Dalmyn said Li appeared to understand what the judge was asking him.

"He shook his head in response to questions from the judge. Some shakes of his appeared to be in the affirmative. Some of them appeared to be in the negative," Dalmyn said.

He is due back in court Sept. 8.

Thirty-seven passengers were aboard the Greyhound from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, as it traveled at night along a desolate stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway about 12 miles from Portage La Prairie. Some were napping and others watching the movie "The Legend of Zorro" on bus television screens when Li attacked McLean, allegedly stabbing him dozens of times.

As horrified passengers fled the bus, Li severed McLean's head, displaying it to some of the passengers outside the bus, witnesses said.

Comments

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

50 year Resident,Didn't actually read my post did you? Too much time in Lawrence has muddied your comprehension. Yes, I'm a Christian... And I was responding to someone that was upset that someone else "got away" with something. We should punish criminals for the good of society. That is the primary function of governments, to protect the populace. However governments, being human and flawed don't always 'get' the bad guy. However, God always 'gets' the bad guy. (Although, that isn't the purpose of Christianity, to 'get' the bad guy.)

50YearResident 5 years, 8 months ago

According to the thinking of ReadingSports we may as well abolish the laws and close the jails, never prosecute or arrest anyone as... "Someday they will be judged for their actions, and a lot worse than any court or police can dish out". Someday?

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

Coolmom,I don't know how to react to what you're saying. Yes, I know there is evil in the world, and I too have experienced it firsthand. (I'll leave that thought unfinished.)But there is good, and there is grace, and there is mercy, and there is forgiveness. And I'm not saying that this man's recovery won't be very hard. But it won't be cruel to tell him what he has done. The truth is never cruel, hard sometimes, yes. At the very least he should understand what he did. But he can still have a life, even incarcerated. And the other prisoners are probably more dangerous to him than he is to them. Yes, if he was in his right mind then he should be tried for capital murder, but I doubt that he was. I'm sorry about your situation. I hope you can forgive those people for the abuse your teen suffered, and I pray that your teen's scars can be healed. Someday they will be judged for their actions, and a lot worse than any court or police can dish out.

coolmom 5 years, 8 months ago

ok, save him and bring him back to "normal" then let him know what he did. how is that any less cruel? he asked to be killed whatever set him off he is not safe anywhere even in prison. could it be a death sentence for even other prisoners? how is that fair? in my younger days i didnt believe in the death penalty but that has changed over time when i see people do such awful things and laugh about it. do awful things and go free and hurt people again and again. in this day you never know when in the great pinball game of life someone is going to bounce off you for no reason and harm you or yours. my newest teen whom we adopted a few months ago was horribly abused and nothing ever happened to those people. they still have kids they are still abusing they could be your neighbors and a danger to your kids. why cant we protect our families? i can see in my mind that young mans family imagining the horrible way he died. the pain....

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

Pywacket, I agree. Well said.TopJayhawk, "Canada has a limit of fifteen yrs". You're kidding!!! That's lame...Really lame...Did I say lame? If if this man is found to be a paranoid schizophrenic he should be locked up, because they have a tendency to 'forget' their meds, and as bad as he is he will kill again.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

I'll say it again. The guy is psycotic. Probably from either paranoid schizophrenia, or bi-polar. If all would take their meds, I would be out fo business. They are getting that good. But non-compliance is the order of the day.Also, I think Canada has a limit of fifteen yrs in prison. No matter what crime is comitted.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

PY:You are most likely correct and my previous post was intended to be humourous as I oppose the death penalty but only for practical reasons.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

I would like to hear that this guy gets a complete psychiatric examination and a CAT scan. It sounds like he had a psychotic break, rather than a lucid, cold-blooded decision to do some pure evil. Such a severe psychosis could result from a wide range of pathologies, from schizophrenia to a fast-growing tumor. After complete med and psych work-ups, if he is found to be sane, clear-thinking, and in full command of his actions, and is found guilty by a jury, they should throw the book at him. (And, sadly, that would not include the death penalty.)If, however, it he has some horrific physiological or psychiatric problem that caused him to act in a way that would horrify his "normal self," he should receive meds, surgery, or whatever he needs--but the public welfare should still count higher than his personal "rights" and he should not be turned loose, regardless of how sane he becomes with meds. That's the problem with (for instance) schizophrenics... many of them go off their meds, believing they are "cured," once they are discharged. It takes another psychotic break and someone's life being compromised before the laws allow anyone to commit an unstable psychotic against his will.I think motive must be taken into consideration. There is a great difference between a truly psychotic person who can't stop his own actions and a person who is sane, knows what he's doing, and that it's wrong, goes to great lengths not to be caught, etc.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Oh, alright... Py, whack 'em!( and the last several posters, as well )

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

The severity of what he did lends me to believe he is beyond rehabilitation and needs to be removed from this existence. Would you ever want to sit next to this guy if he sneaks out of the system through some loophole?

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

That is odd t. Maybe I have an old version Outlook?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Even if it is not apparent that anything "positive" can be done with/for this individual, let us at least refrain from doing anything negative.We can contain him; we have no right to render the existential judgment.( And if money is the measure of a life, then we are but commodities. )

coolmom 5 years, 8 months ago

lol, rabies kills people. guns dont kill, people do...? i dont think anything positive can be done with this killer. i am sorry he is a crazy killer but i am more sorry for the young innocent man who was horribly stabbed to death, had his head cut off and had bits of his body eaten...i do not think the crazy killer comes back from that but the humane thing is to put him out of his misery. i am more sorry for that young mans mother, father, first grade teacher and the people who had to witness all that then i could ever be for the murderer. so now people spend tons of money to try him and treat him and keep him for his life? why? i know hungry kids. abused women. injured soldiers. all who could use that money/time/energy.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Evidently, you've never made the crosstown journey on the T.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

'I have to stay on the bus forever'So... he was traveling crosstown on the T?

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

"Send a Outlook e-mail with Obama's name in it. You'll get two choices to replace Obama.One is Osama and the other is bema."that's odd... i get Obama without any choices. i type it in with a lower case "o" and my replacement choice is Obama.

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

"Send them back home!"Does this mean I have to go back to Germany?Guess I have to learn German.

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

gkwhdw, americans? this was in canada

gkwhdw 5 years, 8 months ago

This is the thanks we Americans get for letting all the foreign people migrate to this wonderful free land. Send threm back home!

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

...Great White Throne...Revelations, look it up.Also Mercy Seat. Or Bema Seat. I'm thinking, from other posts, that you were going to be in front of the Mercy Seat.But not assuming or judging. Giving an example of mercy trumping justice, not a personal comment.

Satirical 5 years, 8 months ago

Tony88:"hah!"Wow that is the best liberal counter-argument I have heard in a while. I bow to your intellictual superiority in clearly refuting me. (Xpect, this is sarcasm)------------------------------------------ReadingSports:"Sooo, You're going to stand in front of the Great White Throne then?"What are you talking about?-------------------------------------------Xepct:"Satirical, I trust that you were in fact being satirical."While I often use satire and humor, in this case I am not.

XEPCT 5 years, 8 months ago

Satirical, I trust that you were in fact being satirical.

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

Satirical,"Yes, but mercy cannot rob justice."Sooo, You're going to stand in front of the Great White Throne then?

XEPCT 5 years, 8 months ago

"You think "white americans" are the only people who want monocultural countries? In fact "white people" the only race without a country to call their own."Invictus, I know that you don't know, that you don't know in any way, shape or form what you are talking about; and I can only hope that you don't ever leave America to give people in other countries the idea that you exemplify Americans. Oh wait a second ... you can go to Belarus aka WHITE-Russia and you can have your perfect white person utopia there. I hear it's quite nice, didn't Lee Harvey Oswald spend time in Minsk? I think he liked it, and you should too.

Satirical 5 years, 8 months ago

Tony88:"isn't conservatism the ideology that encourages self-dependence rather than interdependence, self-interest rather than social interest"Liberalism is the philosophy of being compassionate enough to vote for someone else (the government) to help out others with someone else's money. It is not about individuals helping each other. It is not truly compassionate.Conservatism is the philosophy of personal responsibility (not "self-interest") and strong moral values, including the Judeo-Christian value of helping ones neighbor. However, it doesn't surprise me that most liberals don't understand what conservative and liberal philosophyreally entail, otherwise many would be conservatives.

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

and non-responsive doctor's are associated with liberalism? what? if it were up to the true progressive, that women would have health coverage.

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

whoever thought these whackos would associate a decapitation with "liberalism"?

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

"If we as a country continue down the path we are on, allowing all this liberalism, then the next person who is decapitated could be you!"absurd. isn't conservatism the ideology that encourages self-dependence rather than interdependence, self-interest rather than social interest? get real man.

tjhoops69 5 years, 8 months ago

I think that the saddest thing about this whole incident is that it may not have happened had anyone of those 37 people on board done something, anything, and its not because it was "dark" on the bus and people couldnt see what was going on, there are still lights that are on those busses even at night, not to mention, how long do you think it took to chop his head off??This is what the world is coming too, no compassion because of liberal loonies, always advocating for themselves and nobody else. 37 people watched and heard this man die, and nobody did anything! And its happened here too, just not to that degree yet, but it will, consider the elderly woman in NY a few weeks ago hit by a car and laid in the street for an hour with hundreds of people walking by and nobody did anything, or the poor mentally ill woman who died in the hospital waiting to see a DR and again dozens of people including cops walked by the woman and never lifted a finger.If we as a country continue down the path we are on, allowing all this liberalism, then the next person who is decapitated could be you!My sympathies to this young mans family.....

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

i didn't say that at all. i said the book has been an inspiration to many white american monoculturists, including the genesis of your ljw account name, mcveigh.the only race without a country to call their own? i doubt many races have a country to "call their own". most have been mixed with other cultures at this point regardless of the color of their skin.

Satirical 5 years, 8 months ago

ReadingSports..."Justice should always be tempered with mercy."Yes, but mercy cannot rob justice.

july241983 5 years, 8 months ago

"those illnesses dont put others in danger, rabies does i fail to see what you are trying to say? didnt you ever watch old yeller?"____Do we kill people who get rabies?

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

LooPerkinsucks 5 years, 8 months ago

Damn, you guys must be as bored as me! How many of you checked out 2 girls, 1 cup?

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

maybe you should read that one... i understand it's been a great inspiration to not only mcveigh, but a number of other active monoculturist white americans

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

not only jewish homosexuals bp

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

"Liberals put down Schiavo..." I ain't no liberal. Not even close. Nor do I agree with what happened there.Not sure where the bored thing came from. Other than my poking fun at invictus.

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

Jewish homosexuals t.I heard that self loathing can have many disasterous effects on a nazi.Didn't the Japaneese behead a bunch of Chineese people way back when?

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

No, I have not read the turner diaries, I thought it was a rhetorical question. I read the classics. Who has a "white supremacist agenda"? I think you are paranoid. I was simply wondering if this act could be racially motivated. Often media will explore this possibility when dealing with interracial crimes.

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

"barrypenders (Anonymous) says: I heard that the nazi leaders were homosexual.I wonder how that figures in their extermination of the multicultures."well, they did try to exterminate homosexuals... i wonder how that figures into your silly statement

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

what are you talking about? naive? i never expressed an interest in opening their minds. i never suggested that it was possible. that's not the point at all. you picked a drop from my paragraph and attempt to use it as a representation of the whole of the ocean. your attempt to project your white supremacist agenda on every murder that you read about is failing and so you make lame points unrelated to the thrust of my entire post.btw, you never answered my question, have you been reading "the turner diaries"?

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

Liberals put down Schiavo and she was just laying there not bothering a soul.Just call it euthanasia and put this guy out of his misery.

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

"had the white Europeans been open to multi-culturalism"if only you could have opened their minds, maybe suggested some books on the subject.........How naive you are, young tony88......hold on to your innocence.

coolmom 5 years, 8 months ago

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

a man cutting another mans head off on a bus has nothing to do with the white european man's acts of genocide.

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

wrong, like i said, that was a symptom of monoculturalism... had the white europeans been open to multi-culturalism, it would have been a different story. you're confusing the attempt to impose one culture on another with multiculturalism. genocide is not an example of multiculturalism, but rather of monoculturalism.

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

"but in most of those cases, it was a white European culture attempting to completely annihilate and replace the native culture with their own"I agree completely..... If you could travel back to 1492 would you preach the merits of multiculturalism to the Native Americans or warn them of the dangers?

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

You don't think there was a cultural element in the civil war, Mexican American war, the revolution? You are deluding yourself.

LooPerkinsucks 5 years, 8 months ago

Good grief, ReadingSports! You must be bored... If you have nothing better to do on the net, you should google this...2 girls, 1cupVery interesting, and multicultural

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

Rome is your example?, Rome slaughtered and enslaved millions from Gaul because they were a different race/culture. Rome was a terrible civilization. Autie congratulations on being the only human being whose those thoughts occur in a racial vacuum.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"If I am ignorant, please enlighten me, when has multiculturalism not ended in bloodshed?"--------------That's a pretty generic standard. But if you want a serious answer, the United States is a giant experiment in multiculturalism that has, for the most part, been peaceful.Our biggest wars have been over taxes and states rights, not "multiculturalism".

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

well, there is also the issue of replacing a local culture with a non-local culture... e.g. the systematic replacement of native american culture with western european culture; the attempts to "christianize" africa and all native americans (north and south) through missions; imperialism; communism in east asia; israel/palestine; "democracy" in iraq; native australia.but in most of those cases, it was a white european culture attempting to completely annihilate and replace the native culture with their own... i.e. mono-culturalism.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm thinking at the peak of its power and world influence, Rome was a multicultural hub. Sure, there was bloodshed, but to advance their political and economic ends..not to kill people because they were different. Rome was as successful as they were partly due allowing conquered people to retain their religion, cultural and identity. The multiculture causing problems is only a problem for racist thinkers.

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

coolmom,Might want to think that one through. So we 'put down' any person according to the standards used for animals?Anyone with cancer, MS, AIDS, parkinson's...?

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

"If I am ignorant, please enlighten me, when has multiculturalism not ended in bloodshed?"When has monoculturalism not ended in bloodshed? Cultures are gonna rub together regardless of whether we insulate ourselves in "white america" (have you been reading "the turner diaries"?). It's the nature of existence... entropy. Attempting to impose mono-culturalism is jarring to a population just as attempting to impose multi-culturalism was in the imperial era.

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

"Please help my flawed thinking patterns, Defender."omebodysay orgotfay ishay edsmay.

coolmom 5 years, 8 months ago

animals who have been bitten by a rabid animal and become infected are put down as a mercy and for public saftey. this should be the justice that is applied to this man as well.

tony88 5 years, 8 months ago

are you saying the Germans were the victim? this is odd. because in this case, the asian (the one you might call the multi-culturalist) committed the crime. so the way i understand it, you're saying the jews brought the holocaust on.

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

lsense, I know you're upset, me too. This is beyond horrible. Words fail to describe how I feel about this.But, Please read my post and the article. Prosecution asked for the evaluation. I said they shouldn't let him out in public again. But if the guy did this, because he's sick then he should be treated, and he shouldn't be executed if he's not competent to stand trial.

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

My ignorance??Actually it is my knowledge that leads to this conclusion. Do you remember a little conflict called WWII? 10's of Millions of people were killed because the "multiculturalism" cultivated during European imperialism came crashing back down earth. Now the American Empire is repeating history and all will be well as long as our empire last forever. Empires last forever right? If I am ignorant, please enlighten me, when has multiculturalism not ended in bloodshed? Please help my flawed thinking patterns, Defender.

lsense 5 years, 8 months ago

Who really cares what's wrong with this guy, or if he can get better? At the very least, he should spend the rest of his life in jail. Period. Whether he is crazy, or not, should have absolutely no bearing on his punishment. I get so sick and tired of all these psych people making excuses for murderers. That needs to stop.

Defender 5 years, 8 months ago

"I remember and I am still concerned with the dangers of multiculturalism. As any thinking person should be."It is quite apparent that you do not think at all, invictus. Your ignorance amazes me.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"If you kill someone (other than in self defense), your right to live is forfeit."---------------There is an inherent contradiction in this logic.Can anyone find it?

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

Invictus,I said it once, I'll say it again. Wow...

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

How odd Invictus, you should ask that question. As I recall the ony racial undertones was your post the other day when the story first came out. Something about the guy being asian so he must be all messed up cause he was a stranger in a foreign land..remember?

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

I wonder, were there any racial undertones to this story? Was it a hate crime?

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, I quoted US Law. Forgot this happened in Canada, hopefully they have due process as well.Doh!

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

"If you kill someone (other than in self defense), your right to live is forfeit."Under US Law after "due process".While I agree with the statement, I would also say that while justice is blind, mercy isn't.Justice should always be tempered with mercy.

slappedyomomma 5 years, 8 months ago

put some chlorine in the gene pool and grant this guy his wish. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Seriously folks, what's sad is that this person can probably get quite a bit better with treatment. No to say that there shouldn't be consequences for his actions, nor he should ever be let out in public, again. But this is what the insanity plea is for. Killing this poor sick man wouldn't bring justice, nor would it bring back the victim. It would just be revenge.",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no offense, but this guy doesn't need "treatment" . he needs to be put out of his misery. a textbook case for the death penalty. i don't care if he can get better. he obviously is disturbed, but cutting off the head of your victim and mutilating his corpse shouldn't be rewarded with a lifetime of cable, weights, and free rooming, no matter what country he is in or from. anyone who does this should be put down, hard and fast.if he were in China, this whole thing would be over within a week, and would end with him having a bullet in his brain. they even bill the family for the bullet. the best punishment for this situation. period.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

"Killing this poor sick man wouldn't bring justice, nor would it bring back the victim. It would just be revenge."Yeah...if you were related to the poor guy who got his head lopped off, you might feel differently.If you kill someone (other than in self defense), your right to live is forfeit.

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

"Not to say..." not "No to say..."Defender,I wouldn't go that far. Focus on the actions, don't judge the person.

Defender 5 years, 8 months ago

Don't worry about igby folks. It is obvious that igby was raised very poorly by it's mother. What a horrible person you are igby, ignorant and horrible.

ReadingSports 5 years, 8 months ago

Igby, Not funny, not one bit. Seriously folks, what's sad is that this person can probably get quite a bit better with treatment. No to say that there shouldn't be consequences for his actions, nor he should ever be let out in public, again. But this is what the insanity plea is for. Killing this poor sick man wouldn't bring justice, nor would it bring back the victim. It would just be revenge.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

Thank you, jonas. What is it these days where nutballs have to take others with them? Or kill someone in order to get the police to shoot 'em down? Misery loves company has taken on new twist.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Just kill yourself if it means that much to you. There's always a way if you're dedicated enough.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

can they feed him to a grizzly bear?

50YearResident 5 years, 8 months ago

I say grant his wish................!

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

The only person that matters in this "situation" has already had his head cut off.

christy kennedy 5 years, 8 months ago

Igby,It's rather stunning that you think you've found humor in this situation.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

Must of been the Zorro flick that got him all wound up!Z!