Archive for Tuesday, August 5, 2008

3 injured in rollover accident

Officials inspect the scene of a one-car rollover injury accident Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2008 on Sixth Street near Stoneridge Drive. Three people were in the car that wrecked. One person was ejected from the car and suffered serious injuries.

August 5, 2008, 8:30 p.m. Updated August 5, 2008, 9:55 p.m.

Three people were injured in a vehicle rollover in west Lawrence on Tuesday night.

A teenage girl, who was ejected from the back passenger side of the car, was taken by air ambulance to Kansas University Medical Center with serious injuries. The two other passengers of the maroon Honda suffered injuries, but the injuries were not considered to be life-threatening.

They were transported by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. The accident occurred shortly before 8 p.m. on a stretch of Sixth Street between Stoneridge Drive and Queens Road. Witnesses told police that the car flipped as many as four times, spilling debris across the sidewalk. The car came to rest on its roof.

Sixth Street, between Stoneridge Drive and Queens Road, remained closed heading eastbound Tuesday night as investigators worked to determine the cause of the accident.

Three people injured in rollover accident

Three people were injured Tuesday night in a rollover accident in west Lawrence.

Comments

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

Back in 1996, on Christmas Eve, I was driving on I-70 in St. Louis, following a van in heavy traffic when suddenly, about 5 cars ahead of me they bumped each other and a passenger came tumbling out. The poor guy got ran over by three cars before he even hit the ground. Very tragic to witness, it ruined the entire holiday.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

well,I have to say, I am impressed at my fellow posters. good job all. we can communicate love and caring for the injured and their families.

countrygirl 6 years, 4 months ago

Did the force of the accident break the seat belt? So sorry for all involved.

Casey_Jones 6 years, 4 months ago

"Even if two vehicles are only driving 35 miles per hour, a head on collision has the same impact as one driving 70 m.p.h. hitting a brick wall."I don't mean to detract from your point, because I knew the people in this wreck, but it would be the same impact as a car driving 35 miles per hour hitting a brick wall. People just don't realize quite how bad that is.

Eride 6 years, 4 months ago

I just passed this accident at 2:00 am and the cops are still clearing the road. Didn't look good at all.

Godot 6 years, 4 months ago

Condolences to the families, this is a terrible thing to happen.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

please,wear seatbelts!they do save lives. God care for these and their families.

momof4 6 years, 4 months ago

Neil, I know your sister, but haven't talked to her in a long time. She goes to school with my kids. She's a sweet girl and I hope the best for her recovery. Please know that you have lots of people thinking about you during this difficult time.

blackhawkx 6 years, 4 months ago

Why do people not wear seatbelts... is it really that much of an inconvenience?I hope everyone is okay.

PetMaster5 6 years, 4 months ago

Please everyone, send all your positive energy to the girl. I have been trying like crazy to find out what actually ended up happening to her. I was riding shotgun in this car, and I was the only one wearing a seatbelt. I'm lucky to only have a bunch of staples in the back of my head, and I can't really move around that well, but my recovery will be speedy. Again, send all your positive energy to my friend. All I know is that she is alive, and I can't express how grateful I am for this alone.Oh, and bearded_Gnome. I know you think you're pretty smart and all, figuring out that maybe the seatbelt should have been fixed (REALLY!?) but your comment comes off as a little...eh...ass-ish?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

wow,what made it flip four times! too much speed?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

uh ... well ... maybe somebody should've fixed the seatbelt if it was broken?your comment is meaningless: because effectively she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, if it was broken!*

George_Braziller 6 years, 4 months ago

George_Braziller 6 years, 4 months ago

I used to work with a woman who refuses to wear a seatbelt. She says that she would rather be thrown from the vehicle because she thinks she would have a better chance of surviving. Uhhh, yeah, right. Laws of physics say that if you are moving at a high rate of speed and something stops you anything not stopped at the same time will continue at the same rate. Vehicle moving at 70 miles per hour? So is your body. The vehicle stops suddenly but your body is still moving at the same rate. It ain't pretty. Buckle up.

maxcrabb 6 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know if they were travelling west or east? The article states there were witnesses who counted how many times the car flipped, but there is no mention of the direction the car was heading or the cause for the wreck (as of two hours ago).Hope everyone is ok.

mammaweeks3 6 years, 4 months ago

I think that this post has gotten great support and I feel the caring that is present for all of the people involved. I simply drove by this and it took my breath away, it looked awful. I hope that everyone lives and is able to move beyond this tragedy.

nealsmith56 6 years, 4 months ago

The girl ejected was my little sister, she was wearing a seatbelt but it was broken. Not to seem harsh but to a Mr. George Braziller this is no math question, no soap box for talk about seat belt safety as she was wearing one. My sister will most likely never walk again, figure the force and physics of that.

RNBSN93 6 years, 4 months ago

This was a terrible accident. Seat belt or no, prayers to the victims and their families. Now, I'm sure most of us have better things to do than try to analyze this accident without all the facts!

jackpot 6 years, 4 months ago

Sorry Casey but 35 plus 35 =70. George was right. I just hope for the best for the people hurt tonight.

Godot 6 years, 4 months ago

Lost a son in an accident on I-70 20 years ago. Car flipped off the road. He was not wearing a seatbelt. He went through the windshield. Apparently he was concious after that, was able to stand and walk back onto the freeway and into the path of a semi.Everyone in my family clicks a seatbelt on. One of my sons says he would prefer to have a three point seat belt.

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

Do we know if these girls were KU students? Freestate students? LHS?I have cousins in the area.

KansasVoter 6 years, 4 months ago

"The girl ejected was my little sister, she was wearing a seatbelt""I was riding shotgun in this car, and I was the only one wearing a seatbelt."Hmmmmm......who to believe? A person who was in the car or the person telling a story that isn't at all believable?

blsd3x 6 years, 4 months ago

I work with Erica's mother, she is a wonderful person. Not to mention a great mother and wife. Whether Erica was wearing a seat belt or not, nobody should have to go through this. No parent, child, friend etc. There have been times that seat belts haven't saved lives. But in this situation she is alive and recovering. So to ease the argument of everyone about the seat belt, it doesn't matter anymore- Erica is alive and still with her family. Also, familes do read these blogs and it is very hurtful in what some of you are saying.

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

It's too bad some of the comments are hurtful. However, I must say this was really poor reporting by the LJW and Sunflower. It was a pretty big wreck, and usually they give much more information than they did. As a LHS parent out of town with a daughter who has a friend who drives a maroon car, it was pretty unnerving to hear no details on who was injured, what the cause was etc. Possibly, if folks knew more info they wouldnt be so insensitive.

sanerw 6 years, 4 months ago

Neil, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. My daughter called me and told me and then sent me this link. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. She is such a sweet girl and it's sad to hear about any teen going through something like this, much less someone you know. Know you have friends praying for a complete recovery for Erica. God can work miracles.

PetMaster5 6 years, 4 months ago

The seat she was in is notorious. There IS a seatbelt, but it has been jammed for as long as I can remember. It just sort of lays across your body. I never looked back at her on the car ride to see if she was actually wearing this seat belt. In the midst of the confusion that was the instant aftermath of the wreck, I heard lots of people saying she was not wearing a seatbelt. I was panicking and confused, so I don't know. If she was wearing a seatbelt, though, the particular one she was sporting offers little protection.

lootah0506 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow, I was in a car accident and they were only going 35mph when they hit us, and I'm injured for the rest of my life, I cannot begin to imagine what it's like getting flipped at 70mph, I hope for the best and more for her family, stay strong.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

this is a forum to discuss, so people are discussing. As a parent, i would assume since the teenager was ejected, then a seatbelt was not worn or wasn't working properly. From what others have written, it was the latter. Course, no one was mentioning what actually happened to cause the car to flip several times. that might be of interest to teenagers and parents to enforce teen driving safety. Most important of all, which I have heard from driver's ed instructors in high school - if the seatbelt doesn't work properly, get out of the car, before it starts to move. very tragic, and sad. hope it never happens again

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

Thats good to hear that they are all doing will. Our thoughts are with the Smith family

blsd3x 6 years, 4 months ago

They were not going 70 mph. The driver got too close to those new drain gutters that stick up. The front of the car hit it and flipped the car causing it to roll. This is how Erica was ejected from the car. I don't know what happened inside the car before the accident. Everyone is dazed which they have the right to be. All of them are blessed to be alive. Just to inform you Erica is doing well in recovery. All of them are doing well. My heart goes out to the driver and everyone involved in this accident. I do think we owe the the police and fire dept a huge thanks for responding so quickly and getting everyone medical attention in a fast manner.

Moho2012 6 years, 4 months ago

How do you know they were going 70? From the sign in the background of the picture, the posted speed limit is 45.