Archive for Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Shawnee County sexual predator escapes from Larned State Hospital

August 5, 2008

Perry Isley, a convicted sex offender from Shawnee County, escaped from custody at the Larned State Mental Hospital early Tuesday morning. He is known to have family ties to Colorado and Oklahoma.

A 50-year-old man escaped from the Sexual Predator Treatment Program at Larned State Hospital early Tuesday morning.

At 2 a.m. hospital staff were unable to locate Perry Lee Isley Jr.

The Pawnee County Sheriff's Office is leading the investigation with local and state officials to locate Isley. Any individual on escaped status should be considered potentially dangerous.

According to the Kansas Department of Corrections, Isley was convicted in Shawnee County and sentenced on July 6, 1995, on two counts of aggravated indecent liberties with a child under the age of 14.

Isley has previously escaped from custody in Pawnee County on April 24, 1987.

Authorities describe Isley as white, 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighing about 168 pounds. He has brown hair and hazel eyes.

According to Michelle Ponce, director of communications for the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, Isley is known to have connections to Colorado and Oklahoma.

Anyone with information regarding Isley or his whereabouts is asked to call 1-800-572-7463.

Comments

Windlass 5 years, 8 months ago

I remember seeing a bumper sticker one time that read something like this:Why do we kill people who kill people just to show that killing people is wrong? ______What do we have to do? Put all of the American people together to come up with one whole brain?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

One more, and then I'll quit.I hold this absolutely indefensible belief that the Universe is just.As just as energy, in all it's forms, is conserved.(This delusion is at the heart of Multi's karmic observations.)But, like Leonard, in Memento, we lack the faculty to appreciate the deeper workings, the broader relationships, the justice inherent in our world. Like Leonard, we have to piece together clues, often going on faith alone. Like Leonard, we can choose a vengeful existence.(And don't misunderstand, for all its shortcomings, vengeance is not an altogether bad thing. I consider it a primitive perception, appreciation, and expression of the broader quality of justice to which I've alluded. But vengeance is just a faltering baby step; it won't deliver us to any truly desirable destination; it will leave is all-too-often unexpectedly flat on our... seats.)Protect the children from those who would harm them, remove those who would harm others from society, and let the Universe take care of its monsters, lest we become monsters, attempting to render a justice which invariably lies beyond our reach.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Working from a weak trace, my paraphrase( you may know the anecdote better than I ) ...As the story goes, a group of learned theologians were arguing the relative severity of "sins," attempting to arrange them hierarchically, when a thoughtful indivdual observed, "The sin is not in the ( particular ) act, it is in the turning away from God."And so, perhaps all "sins"-all evil acts-are equal... in the sense that they reflect a turning away from that which is Good ( concentric vowels permitted ).

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

I just got ready to post, refreshed, saw your lengthy reply, but have yet to read it. In the meantime...( It's so dark in here, it's hard to see, let alone make sense of someone else's words. )Whenever we act in a vengeful manner or attempt to exact justice by imposing a capital penalty, we chose to devalue life for whatever reason. This is the choice of the perpetrator... to devalue life ( or persons ) for whatever reason.It doesn't matter what the reasons may be. ( We certainly don't attach any validity to the reasoning of the perpetrator. ) It is the devaluing of life ( and persons ) which permits the crime ( and loss ). If we deplore, in others, that which leads to the abuse of children, then we should recognize and deplore this same "devaluing of life" whenever it surfaces within us, ourselves.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Again--we must agree to disagree. And what we disagree to boils down to this: you categorize it as the "same behavior" when we kill a murderer, child molester, or rapist. I believe the behaviors are far different. Things are not so black & white as all that.If you walk into the bank and shoot the teller in the face after making her give you the money, is that the "same behavior" and governed by the same rules of ethics as if you came home, discovered your beaten, tortured child in the act of being raped by her tormenter and you shot him in the face to stop him? In either case, you are shooting someone in the face. Is one shooting just as morally indefensible to you as the other?I'm not 20-something, arriving at my beliefs as a hot-headed reaction to one article. I read a lot, and from a variety of sources. I've had lots of "late-night philosophical discussions" with thoughtful, intelligent people over the years (and in the course of such discussion, this subject naturally comes up from time to time).. My views have become more harsh--not less so--toward such offenders, after having absorbed decades of opinion and observation.I have, I think, an honorable sense of right and wrong. If you lost your wallet, and I found it, you would get it back intact. If I dinged your car door in a parking lot, I would stick around and own up to it. If I could save someone from a burning car wreck, I would do so--even if that person were someone I personally despised--because (whether I liked them or not) that would be the right thing to do.What I'm trying to say is that I don't think I would qualify as an unthinking or unfeeling or ignorant thug by most standards. But if your own standards must put me in that category because of my beliefs about capital punishment or my opinions about depraved child molesters, go right ahead. I'm comfortable enough in my beliefs that I will lose no sleep over what others think at the end of the day.I mean--I do respect you and don't openly wish you to think I'm in the same category with those criminals, but I'm not going to change my opinion on this one, so categorize me as you will. I'm not advocating torturing these monsters (although, in the heat of anger, I might occasionally let fly a hot remark to that effect here, deep down I agree that that would be wrong). I'm just advocating a quick, simple, and permanent solution to their miserable existence and to the threat they represent. They've already advocated any pretense to humanity, so at that point, it's a monster, not a human, being put down.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Py-thagorean Theorem: "... capital punishment (whether by shooting, hanging, injection, or other) for convicted molesters, rapists, or murderers would not put us on the same footing with those very criminals, or anywhere in the ballpark...."Then, not only are you on the same playing field, but you may be further into the game than you realize.How did we arrive here? We identify certain crimes-say, for example, murder-as being the absolute worst form of human behavior, deserving of our worst punishment. And our response to this absolutely unacceptable, despicable crime is... to engage in the very same behavior.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Py: "Heinous envy? WTF?"( It was a play on words. )And, I, for one ( sometimes two ), refuse to "agree to disagree"( whatever that means ).

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Windlass~ Fine by me.They prey upon innocents. They ruin innocent lives. They---not those who convict them or would gladly eliminate them--divorce themselves from the rest of humanity.We, if we choose (as a society) to eliminate them, are exterminating the criminally depraved and, in so doing, are protecting further innocent people, from predation. I would call that a public service.In my book, t_r_a, capital punishment (whether by shooting, hanging, injection, or other) for convicted molesters, rapists, or murderers would not put us on the same footing with those very criminals, or anywhere in the ballpark, but if you wish to think it does, we'll just have to agree to disagree.Heinous envy? WTF?

Pudgy1 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion Lynn (Marion Lynn) says: I think the more important question is what is a child molester doing in the hospital instead of being in the jail?Not in Jail Marion. In the GROUND!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Py: "Maimed or exterminated..."What is it about a "monster" that just makes us want to become one?... heinous envy?

Windlass 5 years, 8 months ago

Here's a link I found that gives more info. about the place. http://www.srskansas.org/LSH/ssh.htmlTo some of you, though, I regret to say that if you would just outright kill these "vermin" who molest kids, you could end up killing people you might already know.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Murder is when an innocent is killed--unjustly. So that's not on the table.Maimed or exterminated (which is the common term for eliminating vermin) would be my choices for those who have committed sexual crimes against children.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Py-in-the-Sky: "Actually, they should just be shot."Winged, maimed, or murdered?

Windlass 5 years, 8 months ago

Larned is also the place with the Sexual Predators are housed AFTER they complete their prison term. It is a completely separate commitment and not under the control of KDOC from what I believe.--------------------------------------------------------------------My understanding of this "newest" law, except that it's been in place for something like ten years or so, is that any sexual predator who completes his or her original sentence and who would otherwise be released can be civilly committed to any locked ward. Topeka State Hospital had the AWL Unit, for instance, but I guess now they all go to Larned. If I remember correctly, the law was intended to keep "the worst among us" from ever living free again, and I do agree that these predators are the worst. How in the world this Isley ever got out has just got to be looked at real hard by Pawnee County investigators because Larned is built like an Alcatraz in that no one ever leaves. Still and all, everyone do what you must to protect yourselves and your children until you hear of his capture. I don't want to sound like I don't think you should. Finally, because of the high security risk nature of these Isley types, law enforcement personnel really want to find him. Trust that they will.

Windlass 5 years, 8 months ago

For one thing, the Larned State Security Hospital is way the hell out in southwest Kansas (close to Great Bend). There's more open country out there to spot this guy than any law enforcement officer could hope for. They'll catch him. Larned is actually two hospitals: A regular state hospital and a state security hospital for the criminally insane, also called a prison hospital, the latter which is ringed with 15-foot high fences topped with barbed wire. No one just walks away. It's impossible. Just to go outside requires moving through multiple levels of security, and they always secure the inmate in belly chain and handcuffs before the first door is opened, the first door of a minimum of three. Larned State Security Hospital is considered the last stop for certain folks. They do not rehabilitate. They warehouse folks or else they recommend to the courts a prison to send them to. At other times this facility is used by some judges to "shock" people straight - young people, that is.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

somebodynew:Yeah; you could be right about that one!

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

BRING BACK LYNCHING......THE ONLY REAL JUSTICE

Deb Engstrom 5 years, 8 months ago

If you read the article, he was in the Sexual Offender Treatment Program, and is not an inmate. His sentence expired for his sex offenses in 2006.

Chris Golledge 5 years, 8 months ago

Umm, yeah, for those of your asking why this guy isn't in jail, Larned does have a criminally insane ward. Maybe he was there.

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

the mullet is a dead give away, lock up everyone with a mullet

kusp8 5 years, 8 months ago

WTF!? Seriously, why was this guy in a 'Hospital'!? He clearly needs to be in jail and let him suffer from the wrath of his actions.-Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Jonathan~ The fault lies with the DOC for not sending out a news release, complete with photos, to you guys as soon as the scumbag was discovered missing.Thanks for the update and for your patience with our sometimes impatient remarks!I agree, Marion--there's no such thing as rehabbing these subhuman POS losers. They should be put in whatever facility has the best security.Actually, they should just be shot. That would save lots of tax money, and ensure that no one was ever in danger from them again.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation 5 years, 8 months ago

A bullet to the head initially would've prevented this whole mess. This man is a disgusting pig and more children are in danger now.

Munsoned 5 years, 8 months ago

His second time? Ummm, when he tells the guards "hey, look over there", maybe they shouldn't look. Surely it was more complex than that, but how genius can you be when you like to diddle kids?

malcolm_x_obama 5 years, 8 months ago

Has anyone sent notice to Obama? It would probably take him 10 minutes to catch the guy.Hussein is the schuzzizzllllll

acg 5 years, 8 months ago

Under the age of 14? Yeah, shoot to kill when looking for this scumbag!

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 8 months ago

simplyamazed 5 years, 8 months ago

If you have heard about selective hearing then you should know also there is selective writing and reporting as well!

sherbert 5 years, 8 months ago

sherbert (Anonymous) says: How come I had to read about the Lawrence bowling alley fire on cjonline.com? Is there anything on ljworld about it? I've looked through a couple times and can't find it:*******Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says: yesterday it was breaking news here I thinkhttp://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/aug/04:If you check the most discussed list/page you can track recent articles through the discussions.http://www2.ljworld.com/discussions/stor:*****Okay, it was an update last night after it happened, is there not an article about it today?

starbucks 5 years, 8 months ago

who cares?what does this have to do with Lawrence?Larned? not Lawrence.Shawnee County? Tons of sexual predators there, 20 miles away.

Ramsfield 5 years, 8 months ago

well, he doesnt look like a complete loser................

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

yesterday it was breaking news here I thinkhttp://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/aug/04/firefighters_battling_blaze_lawrence_bowling_alley/If you check the most discussed list/page you can track recent articles through the discussions.http://www2.ljworld.com/discussions/stories/

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 8 months ago

We'd been working on this story - based on a tip - for about an hour before we posted it. Sorry we didn't have the photo an the DOC or RO links in the story initially; we wanted to get the words out and then add the other stuff as quickly as we could. Jonathan KealingOnline editorLJWorld.com / Lawrence Journal-World / 6News

sherbert 5 years, 8 months ago

How come I had to read about the Lawrence bowling alley fire on cjonline.com? Is there anything on ljworld about it? I've looked through a couple times and can't find it...

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

I think we were all looking at the same time. My first searches on kasper showed no one. I finally just put in Perry and found the pics. Here's another..http://165.201.143.205/kasper2/offender.asp?id=98034

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Manda2831. The LJW thanks you for doing their job for them.

Amanda Woodward Davis 5 years, 8 months ago

You can find him on the Department of Corrections website: http://www.dc.state.ks.us/kasper

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

You would think, since he's been convicted and they've had him in custody, that they'd have a PHOTO of him to post. His written description would fit any number of individuals you might encounter--in other words, he could easily blend right in in any public setting. A posted photo might enable someone to recognize and turn him in before he rapes another child--and/or kills somebody this time. What does he have to lose at this point?You'd also think the authorities would be able to figure out how to keep such a dangerous creep in custody, especially since he had already escaped once.When they catch him, how about keeping him in a straitjacket and tethered by steel cables to the wall? Humane? Well, what he did to a child wasn't very humane, so humanity is obviously not important to him. Also, since he repeatedly has rejected humane confinement by escaping, it's time to do whatever is needed in the interest of public safety.

kujayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

It's harder to escape from prison.

Luxor 5 years, 8 months ago

Uh, doesn't the Dept. of Corrections have a photo to provide?

cabella 5 years, 8 months ago

He escaped at 2:00 AM and we are just now being notified!?