Archive for Monday, August 4, 2008

Blaze at bowling alley quickly extinguished

Firefighters battled an electrical fire Monday night at a Lawrence bowling alley.

August 4, 2008, 7:44 p.m. Updated August 4, 2008, 9:22 p.m.

Lawrence firefighters responded to a fire call at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa, at 7:08 p.m. Monday evening, when a fire was discovered in the rear of the building. A second alarm was sounded because of excessive outdoor temperatures and the high heat index, a news release from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical said.

The fire was declared under control by 7:42 p.m.

Patrons and employees of the bowling alley were evacuated safely, and no one was injured.

An investigation is under way to determine the cause of the fire. A damage estimate has yet to be determined.

Comments

nobody1793 6 years, 4 months ago

I was ten pins away from a 300 game when the alarm went off! Really I swear!

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 4 months ago

How sad, they just spent tons of money redoing the whole place. It is pretty nice now. Wayne and Larry's is one of the best bar and grills in town. Hope they can get it cleaned up and re opened

twaldaisy 6 years, 4 months ago

Word on the street is that it was the electrical box.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

are you kidding!this had to be a "false flag incident" intended to throw us off obama's poor bowling performance! false flag, massive conspiracy I tell ya'! ***really glad nobody injured! good job. and all the oil pressure sensors did fine.

TheRob 6 years, 4 months ago

I used to play in the arcade at Royal Crest Lanes after my pitiful bowling performances.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 4 months ago

Went to the "Pin-Up Bowling" at the Legends and it pretty much spoiled me from ever bowling at Royal Crest again.

BigPrune 6 years, 4 months ago

I hope nobody got hurt. I remember the theater burned down up there years ago. They should tear the whole place down including the Merc, and build something really nice. If the Merc got a new building, I wonder if the City would require a site plan this time around or if it could be sneaked in under the radar again?

freestatetrumpet 6 years, 4 months ago

that place was nasty i only went when i was dragged their. now wayne and larrys right next to that is the place to be they got some great food

sum_guy 6 years, 4 months ago

It was the power box in the back, there was a surge from a transformer outside and it fried the power lines leading into the building. at least that's what my inside source (bowl employees) tell me. the bowl is expected to be closed for a week or so but wayne and larry's is already back open.