Archive for Monday, August 4, 2008

Al-Qaida confirms explosives expert dead

August 4, 2008

— Al-Qaida confirmed in a Web statement Sunday the death of a senior commander known as a top explosives and poisons expert, who is believed to have been killed in a U.S. airstrike in Pakistan last week.

The statement said Abu Khabab al-Masri and three other commanders were killed. It did not give details on when or how they were killed, but Pakistani authorities have said they believe al-Masri died in an American airstrike last Monday on a compound near the Afghan border.

Al-Masri, an Egyptian militant whose real name is Midhat Mursi, had a $5 million bounty on his head from the United States. He is accused of training terrorists to use poisons and explosives, and is believed to have trained suicide bombers who killed 17 American sailors on the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000.

He is also believed to have helped run al-Qaida's Darunta training camp in eastern Afghanistan, until the camp was abandoned amid the 2001 U.S. invasion of the country. There he is thought to have conducted experiments in chemical and biological weapons, testing materials on dogs.

The other three slain leaders were identified as Abu Mohammed Ibrahim bin Abi Farag al-Masri, Abdul-Wahab al-Masri and Abu Islam al-Masri. Little is known about them.

A Taliban spokesman, Maulvi Umar, denied the report. Pakistan army and intelligence officials said they had no information that al-Zawahri was hit.

Comments

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"glad I got you upset."----------------Thanks for proving my point that you are nothing more than a smarmy little rat.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, glad I got you upset. You've obviously had a hard day.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Cato, you are an idiot.If you had half a brain and weren't illiterate, you'd understand that I AGREE with President Bush on this issue and feel that Russia is completely in the wrong. Just because YOU can't pry your lips off the ass of anyone who claims to be from the "right" doesn't mean the everyone else has the same simpleminded incapability of thinking for themselves.So much for your moronic idea that I'm nothing more than a tow-the-line leftist looney.You are a pitiful human being cato.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

The subject, LS04, is the repeated practice of leftists in this country, including most certainly you and your other sandbox friends who post on this site, in supporting the enemies of this country when it will assist them in their efforts to demean the Bush administration. Russia invades Georgia? Why, it's not the fault of Russian thugs who want to recreate the Soviet Union - no, it's the fault of the Bush administration and, of course, John McCain. It's a despicable practice, and you're in it up to your neck.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the heads up, but not sure what that has to do with anything here.Way to "not back down" by changing the subject.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, I suggest that you instead spend your time in consoling your fellow nutbag leftist Scott0000, who has embarrassed himself beyond redemption in attempting to respond to my comments on Cal Thomas's August 15 piece entitled "A tough stand on Russia."

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't, and I won't, birdbrain.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"No, Snap was simply pointing out the subterranean level of your flaky attempts at discourse."---------------Well, whether snap's opinion of my discourse is positive or negative, the fact remains that he understood my comment while you didn't.But as usual, you omit the parts of a comment that you don't understand or that don't fit your prefab view of the world around you.And keeping with the cato_the_misunderstander theme--only snap can answer this for sure, but it seems pretty obvious that in the term "Snark Flakes", snarky is the operative word. I know, it probably sounds to you like he made it up, but if you google it, I guarantee that you will get results.=========================================="BABBOY, to paraphrase your brilliant analysis, anyone who thinks that Senator Obama will make a great president is either very young or very old and thereby out of touch, or is mentally retarded."-------------------And to paraphrase yours: "nuh-uh, YOU'RE stupid"=============================================BABBOY,I don't know what's wrong with me. There's just something enjoyable about fighting a battle I will never lose, even if you are correct that I will never win either.Plus, cato said he doesn't back down to "cretinous birdbrains like [me]", so I'm curious to test his resolve...

BABBOY 5 years, 8 months ago

Logic:Why do you waste time with these flipping morons? I guess I used to, but then I realized that so many posters just are not very smart or just plain crazy people. I do not think any of them work for living. Of course, you are correct that Bush is complete moron. But, you are not going to persuade someone who likes that idiot that you are right. Stupid people suddenly do not get smart or wake up and see reason. Same for the simple minded people that support war without questioning whether it is right or wrong or serves a justifiable purpose. I have opinions on both wars (Iraq and Afghanistan). I have different opinions as to each theater but am not going to waste time debating it here. Lets just say that I agree with you that Bush is lousy Commander and Chief and has not directed the war on terror as well as it could have been done by someone with a brain. Also, Obama will make a great president. Anyone thinking he is terrorist is either very old and out of touch or mentally retarded. So, I guess my point is that these are the kind morons you are arguing with on this site. But, It is your time to waste and if you want to try bring reason to the stupid, I say go for it.

wheatridge 5 years, 8 months ago

Just curious logicsound04 which of your posts do you consider "original or critical"?

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

I think that was Obama's cousin.

Doob 5 years, 8 months ago

Dem and Rep parties should be extinct by now...only meant to divide us.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

No. I was just getting the last word.Word.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Looks like loggy had a big bowl of Snark Flakes this morning.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

"Word?" You must have meant "weird," perhaps as a Freudian slip in describing yourself.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

No rationalizations. Only the truth.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

However you need to rationalize it pal.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

No, LS04, I couldn't care less what you think. However, I make it a practice of never backing down to anyone, period - and especially not to cretinous birdbrains like you.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"I don't care what you think."------------------The fact that you continue to engage me suggests otherwise.Not a very wise "elder" are you?

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, as should have been clear some time ago, I don't care what you think.

screedposter 5 years, 8 months ago

"Only an America hater would listen to a terrorist."You know-not thy enemy. Unless they are not your enemy.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Christ cato. I'm making a point with sarcasm since calling people on the Left "America haters" is such a common practice among some on the Right.I don't ACTUALLY think you hate America.I do, however, think you lack the ability to think originally or critically.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, perhaps you might want to crank up your one brain cell, attempt to read the final paragraph of your last post, and then go find a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "hypocrisy."

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"You know, LS04, calling someone an "America hater," when what you and your fellow leftist sandbox-dwellers advocate for this country would ultimately destroy our way of life as we know it, is indeed anomalous."--------------Hey, I think you're getting close to figuring out WHY I keep calling you an America hater.Keep trying...you'll get there.But be sure to take breaks. You wouldn't want those two brain cells to get to moving around too fast and overheat.Here's a hint: I don't think a difference of opinion is grounds to question someone's patriotism.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

"The al-Qaida statement warned of vengeance for their deaths. "We tell the enemies of God that God has saved those who will be even more painful for you," it said. "As Abu Khabab has gone, he left behind, with God's grace, a generation of faithful students who will make you suffer the worst torture and avenge him and his brothers."There you have it... a synopsis of ( almost all ) the sentiments expressed above. Kindred souls.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

By the way, I think it's cute that you place yourself on the same level as those whose job it is to intercept, interpret, and decipher communications between terrorists that are intended to be confidential.You listen to terrorist through the news media. There is a BIG difference between that and doing intelligence work for the U.S. government.But it's not entirely surprising that you can't see that difference. You can't even tell that a terrorist's comments regarding what U.S. presidential candidate he supports are about as valuable as the contents of a litterbox.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Oooh, looks like I'm ruffling some feathers. Sorry you can't handle the truth.But I wouldn't expect a Bush apologist and America hater to enjoy truth very much.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, there are thousands of very patriotic Americans who every day listen to, and study very carefully, everything they can that is said by terrorists and their supporters. Some are employed by our government, and some are not. Your lame, illogical, and perverted attempt to brand those who want to look out for the well-being of this country as "America haters" demonstrates that you are either extremely naive or just plain stupid.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"No, I listen to them very carefully"--cato re: terroists---------------Only an America hater would listen to a terrorist. Why do you hate America?

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

No, I listen to them very carefully as the enemies that they surely are. They want to be friends with Senator Obama - and if they are, they're his friends, not mine.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

I know you do. Like I said, you listen to them as if they were our friends.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

My understanding is just fine cato.Terrorists and despots say that they support Obama and you believe them.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

No, LS04. Your previous response demonstrated that you didn't even understand what was being said.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Ah, I guess workout time is over if that weak post is any indication.Just as well. No sense in digging a hole just to prove that you can lift a shovel.

Rationalanimal 5 years, 8 months ago

Rot in hell, your pals will be there soon.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, you're off base as usual. I suggest that you read the posts again.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"Which is why, Jonas, they are not our friends, even if you wish they were."-----------------Yet you listen to them as if they WERE our friends. Odd.Working up quite the sweat with those mental gymnastics, eh cato?

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

Which is why, Jonas, they are not our friends, even if you wish they were.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

cato_the_elder (Anonymous) says:"Jonas, one would think that terrorists and their sympathizers would castigate the Left in America so that Americans would view the Left as anti-terrorist and vote them in, which is what terrorists would prefer."Or, one could think that the terrorists will realize that a great number of our citizens would vote against those the terrorists say that they would support, simply because they are, supposedly, being supported by terrorists. It's all moot anyway, we can only assume their real motivations or ignore them and do what we would have done anyway. "However, it doesn't seem to work that way, as the enemies of this country continually make it clear how uncomfortable they are with tough foreign policy directed at containing their goals, and they certainly have no love lost for our president and his administration."Neither, reportedly, do many of our friends.

malcolm_x_obama 5 years, 8 months ago

I bet that Cindy Sheehan already has a marker ready for him. The left is in turmoil. Obama's campaign will claim that Barak was the pilot flying the plane in Afghanistan. I wonder if al-Zawahiri was screaming like a little Howard Dean?

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?sl=ar&tl=enاÙاÙاػ اÙارÙاØÙÙÙ ÙÙ ØÙػاØØ© ÙرÙÙ ÙÙ Ù Ù. Ù Ù ÙاÙÙا اØخاذ اÙاسØØ-Ùا٠ØعØi .Ùاػ ÙØراØ.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

DP, you continue to make assertions to which I respond, and then you claim that I have not responded to what you asserted. In light of this chronic problem, and especially since we've been talking about "Animal House," I will ask you this again: Do you have a degree from an accredited four-year college or university?

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

True some people people see a pointy nose and Aryan features and they assume you are a conservative, but what else can you expect from small minded Liberial bigots.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

Reaching, cato - we're talking about the movie, not the era in which it took place.Damn, you're dim.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

DP, if you'd been around then, you couldn't have automatically labeled those guys "conservatives." That demonstrates what a warped view you apparently have of who "conservatives" are, especially your tendency to think that all Republicans are conservatives, and vice versa. Moreover, plenty of clean-cut frat guys in that era, including those who served in Vietnam, were liberal Democrats and ardent Kennedy supporters, as is depicted in one of the floats in the movie. The point was that they were all played as college airheads of one kind or another at that time in their lives, which was brilliant. As an aside, you might perhaps want to study the career of Senator John Glenn, a distinguished American whom you would have apparently viewed as a "conservative" just because of the way in which he dressed and carried himself.

screedposter 5 years, 8 months ago

"Al qaeda should be extinct by now, and why are we still fighting the Taliban. Oh yeah, most of our soldiers were busy in Iraq."What do you want to do, invade Waziristan? Have you ever looked at a map? It's in PAKISTAN!

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

"DP, don't be rash in prejudging the appearance of anyone who could have been a character in "Animal House" - there were no "conservatives" or "liberals" portrayed in that marvelous film, "The Omegas weren't conservatives? Niedermayer is in ROTC and is shot by his own men in Vietnam? The ass paddling, the secret society aspect of their frat?Come on, that's W all day (and his synchophantic cadre, which you are no doubt one of)!!!

invictus 5 years, 8 months ago

at least he is in heaven with all those virgins!

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"LS04, based on your last post you acknowledge that terrorists do state that they would prefer that Senator Obama be elected as our president. Thank you."-------------Um, was I ever hiding that fact?My entire point was predicated on the notion that terrorists claim that they support Obama, and you, like a naive fool, believe them.A couple questions for you:1) Why do you listen to what terrorists have to say?2) Even if they are telling the truth, so what? You would let a terrorist influence who should be POTUS?You are revealing far more about your character than you probably should, cato.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas, one would think that terrorists and their sympathizers would castigate the Left in America so that Americans would view the Left as anti-terrorist and vote them in, which is what terrorists would prefer. However, it doesn't seem to work that way, as the enemies of this country continually make it clear how uncomfortable they are with tough foreign policy directed at containing their goals, and they certainly have no love lost for our president and his administration.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Looks like you've hit the wall, logicsound. He pulled what he wanted out and ignored the rest, like usual. Myself, I think it's possible that they say vote democrat in order to make more of us vote republican, but as you say, we can't be sure about their real motivations.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"I have never suggested that any terrorists' claims have "validity" of any sort"--------------I'll explain it to you...when a terrorist makes a claim--for example, that he would prefer Obama be POTUS--it's anyone's guess as to the reasoning behind it, the purpose of his words. Perhaps it is to delude simpleminded folks like yourself into believing that Obama is untrustworthy. Perhaps it is because he truly feels that way. The point is that no one knows.When you make comments acknowledging that terrorists support Obama, you are demonstrating that you believe their statements. Maybe "validity" was the wrong word choice--perhaps I should have said that you were lending credence to their claims.Either way, you put far more stock in the claims of terrorist than I would ever imagine doing.

jayhawkbarrister 5 years, 8 months ago

How many times are we gonna take credit for killing this guy?Reuters - 1/6/2006 - Abu Khabab al-Masri Killed in Pakistan Strike

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

DP, don't be rash in prejudging the appearance of anyone who could have been a character in "Animal House" - there were no "conservatives" or "liberals" portrayed in that marvelous film, just mindless airheads of all kinds, including the administrators and townspeople. It was set in 1964, thus predating the late-60's, a time in which the radical left in this country succeeded in politicizing everything and in turning a whole generation of pampered baby-boomers against (a) their parents, who had endured a severe economic depression and a world war, and (b) everything to do with the "establishment," including both major political parties. The moviemakers in "Animal House" did an outstanding job of portraying the college scene exactly as it was right before that unfortunate time in our country's history - there was a small amount of nascent politicization, but it was invariably poked fun at, and the movie was, and is, brilliantly politically incorrect by today's standards. You don't know me, and should not presume to judge my appearance. I evaluated yours based on your own self-characterization, and Greg Marmalard's physiognomy was the first thing that came to mind. And, based on your other posts, I think that his overall character fits you quite well.

dandelion 5 years, 8 months ago

screedposter (Anonymous) says:"And for anyone badmouthing Obama, remember, when he is President he will continue to pursue al-qaeada into the hills along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is where the people who attacked us are holed up, and this is where the fighting needs to take place."What do you think our forces are doing now? Did you not read the article? Why do I ask?It's about time. Why didn't this happen almost 7 years ago? Oh yeah, we detoured to Iraq for many really bogus and stupid reasons. If I had lost someone on 9/11, I would be saying too little, too late. Actually, as a loyal American, I'm still saying it. Al qaeda should be extinct by now, and why are we still fighting the Taliban. Oh yeah, most of our soldiers were busy in Iraq.

XD40 5 years, 8 months ago

Happy news. Another islamo-fascist is dead. May God have mercy on his soul. Death to muslim terrorists. As St. Ann has said: invade their countries; kill their leaders; convert the populace to Christianity!

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

Um, that's fine, but you do realize that you and your ilk are the modern day version of these conservative dorks, yes?Nevertheless, I will continue to hold you in the lowest of regard.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

DP, thank you. I will now picture you as the character in "Animal House" known as Greg Marmalard.

screedposter 5 years, 8 months ago

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

"Psst:Cato:some liberals may not know what "soap" is, you may want to explain it to him."What? Conservatives stereotyping people they know nothing about?? Shocking!!If you saw me, you'd think I was the president of the young republicans.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

Satirical - well, "soap" does rhyme with "dope," so some further clarification might be helpful before he rushes to roll his next joint in anticipation of his mother washing his mouth out with soap.

solsken66 5 years, 8 months ago

Thankfully, Al-Qaida members are slowly being eliminated due to the diligent work of people from all around the world.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Fantastic news, despite the repugnant and Anti-American remarks by some. This is one all Americans should agree is a good report.And for anyone badmouthing Obama, remember, when he is President he will continue to pursue al-qaeada into the hills along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is where the people who attacked us are holed up, and this is where the fighting needs to take place.

Satirical 5 years, 8 months ago

Cato...."Your mother should wash your mouth out with soap."Psst...Cato...some liberals may not know what "soap" is, you may want to explain it to him.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, of the many illlogical posts you have offered, your most recent attempt at rejoinder is one of the most representative of that ilk, not to say exceedingly cryptic to boot. I have never suggested that any terrorists' claims have "validity" of any sort, a curious statement on your part. I have, however, suggested that world-wide terrorists would clearly prefer to deal with Senator Obama, since he has already stated that he would impose no preconditions on negotiating with the enemies of this country. The only "validity" to speak of in this context is the obvious question of the validity of the Senator's qualifications to serve as President of the United States.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

DP, I have never e-mailed you, ever, and never would. Cut the crap.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

I was unaware that any of the following words were restricted:circleclimaxuberconjerk (as a verb--I would never call someone a name)I apologize, Mr. Moderator.

75x55 5 years, 8 months ago

Oops.Looks like someone's civil rights got infringed.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"It's the fact that the terrorists, with Ahmadinejad at the forefront, would much prefer Senator Obama as president, because they know that they would be able to walk all over him."------------The point is, like an idiot, you are placing validity in the claims of terrorists AND using it to condemn Obama as a presidential candidate.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

Funny, I believe I was responding to your e-mail, friend.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

As did the unsolicited e-mail you sent me this morning. Your mother should wash your mouth out with soap.

bobberboy 5 years, 8 months ago

Some of you seem to be acting like monkeys.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

cato, I don't care enough about you or "barrypenders" to spell your stupid screen names correctly. Saying "there goes another Obama supporter" is stupid, void of thought, and just un-American.Again, you suck.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, you also have it backwards. The issue isn't you and yours being in cahoots with terrorists. It's the fact that the terrorists, with Ahmadinejad at the forefront, would much prefer Senator Obama as president, because they know that they would be able to walk all over him.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"Logicsound can't even pretend to be happy about this."------------Actually, I made no indication one way or the other. In fact, I came here to make a comment about the fact that this was good news only to find the all too typical demonization of liberals and subsequent patting on the back.==========================="I assume out of disappointment that more of the worst of the bad guys have been taken out during the the term of our current president."------------Is expanding illiteracy a plank on the Republican platform?Again, I made no statement of value one way or the other. My only comment was in regards to barrypenders idiotic post and your sycophantic affirmation of it.Frankly, I could care less whether positive developments in our battle with al Qaeda happen during the current term or the next. The point is that it's happening. I'm not terribly concerned about Bush salvaging the "legacy" he has already spent 8 years establishing. Anyone who can view that time period without bush-colored glasses (read as: not you or your fellow bush drones, cato) is already painfully aware of his shortcomings.What kind of loser accuses everyone who doesn't agree with him of being in cahoots with terrorists? Oh yeah....

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

DP, you can't even spell "barrypenders" correctly. Moreover, you didn't even catch his drift - he wasn't referring to any of you pathetic leftists over here - he was referring to al-Masri himself, which was completely lost on you. And, I reiterate that his comment was one of the most appropriate I've seen recently. Right on, BP.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

Upon looking back on the posts, I realize I've made a mistake. My apologies to madmike.That patriotic **** you should have gone to cato and the barely literate berrypenders.You guys suck.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

LS04, it looks like as soon as you thought you had encountered the type of circle you describe, you decided to start one of your own - I assume out of disappointment that more of the worst of the bad guys have been taken out during the the term of our current president. Bozo can't be far behind, so hopefully you can make it a foursome.

screedposter 5 years, 8 months ago

Logicsound can't even pretend to be happy about this.Doesn't anyone else find that hilarious?

dandelion 5 years, 8 months ago

It's about time Bush went after al qaida, instead of all those NY bombers in Iraq. Oh yeah, those guys weren't from Iraq. I guess he decided to finally do something about the guys who killed all those people in New York. Better late than never, I guess.

duplenty 5 years, 8 months ago

This is great news. Hopefully more to come.The bad news is that dipsticks like madmike and cato think it's appropriate to try and link other Americans with these AQ bastards.It's about the least patriotic thing you could do.Uncle Sam sez: **** you.

madmike 5 years, 8 months ago

Even sweeter would be if we triangulated that call and instead of a doctor, we delivered a Predator Drone - Priceless!!!

screedposter 5 years, 8 months ago

"CBS News reported Friday that al-Qaida's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahri, was killed or critically injured in the strike. CBS said it had obtained a copy of an intercepted letter dated July 29 from unnamed sources in Pakistan in which a Taliban leader urgently requested a doctor to treat Osama bin Laden's top lieutenant."That would be sweet.

barrypenders 5 years, 8 months ago

There goes another Obama supporter.

cato_the_elder 5 years, 8 months ago

If it's indeed true, then it's more outstanding news concerning our efforts against this insidious organization. Keep these stories coming.