Archive for Friday, August 1, 2008

Witnesses: Passenger beheads seat mate

August 1, 2008

— Passengers aboard a Canadian bus fled in horror as a fellow traveler viciously attacked his seat mate, repeatedly stabbing him and then severing his head, witnesses said Thursday.

Police said a 40-year-old man was arrested after the grisly attack late Wednesday night aboard a Greyhound bus en route from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The suspect was captured as he tried to escape from the bus early Thursday about three hours after the violence, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell told reporters.

Authorities declined to provide details beyond that the victim had been stabbed. They said a motive hadn't been determined and refused to identify the suspect or the victim.

Comments

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

Blue: Amen!Thats the scary part about the T. That one rider could be "mikey from friday the 13th". Lol.It's like his private limo service, would want to crowd him too much or invade his space.The state's are closing all the mental hospitals and mikey's free to ride the public transit systems of the world.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

It's always nice to see horrific tragedies getting the respectful attention that they warrant.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

And no guns allowed in Canada....I'm just sayin'

compmd 6 years, 4 months ago

Man, Canadians are wimps. One guy with a knife versus a busload of people? Some hipster kid could have done everyone a favor and clocked the attacker over the head with his Macbook while Mr. Psychopath was busy attacking someone sleeping who couldn't defend themselves.Seriously, the line "Let's roll..." comes to mind here.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

Makes you want too ride the T, huh ! Lol.

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Have we heard from boohoozo yet this morning?[sigh]We can always dream.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

Msnbc, stated that the victim was asleep in front of the suspected murder. Then suddenly, the suspect just stood up and started stabbing the sleeper in the chest with what appeared to be a "Rambo" style large hunting knife. The driver stopped the bus and all the passengers fled while the driver tried to jam the bus door so too trap the murderer. I suppose that this sleeping passenger had some words with this guy earlier and the guy just stewed over the incident until he decided too just whale into the sleeping rider with his knife. Some people are very touchy and may be dangerously murderous. If you get in their way or piss them off with the slightest thing you could be attacked.This guy may not of liked his snoring! Lol.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

Also, he cut off his head and carried up to the front of the bus and dropped it down the stairs where the driver had just jammed the door and just starred at the driver. Lol!

fu7il3 6 years, 4 months ago

Can you imagine how horrifying that was to the passengers? No article I've read even talks about motive. He was on the bus with the guy for like an hour and never did anything.

Confrontation 6 years, 4 months ago

It's pretty sad that someone would feel the need to "laugh out loud" at the thought of someone's head being cut off. I guess that's why things like this happen.

Sigmund 6 years, 4 months ago

Beauty, eh? Hoser caused quite a kerfuffle, eh? That is what the Newfies git fer trying to save a few loonies, eh? Deadly wicked, eh?

Tammy Yergey 6 years, 4 months ago

One man with a knife intent on killing his seat mate. 37 other passengers on the bus. No one did anything. I wish I could remember the psychological term, but there is a theory that in a group,no one feels that he/she has to take responsbility, so no one does anything. In this case, I think they are all responsible for this man's death to some degree. You cannot tell me that they couldn't have found something to hit the attacker over the head with. Or several people couldn't have overcome the man. I guess maybe if they were all old women. I don't know. I just find it very chilling that people could have done nothing.

acg 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow! Invictus your racist attitude never ceases to amaze me. WTH does the man being Asian have to do with anything? There is something seriously wrong in your head.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

The guy was probably psycotic- schizophrenic or bi-polar. Probably hallucinating. The victim probably didn't say anything to him. Horsegirl, that is called "Mob mentality." But usually that explains the opposite behavior, people acting in an aggressive way that they would not act like if they were alone.And yes, they are closing too many hospitals. This came about around the country in the last decade, as progressive thinkers were worried about the rights and freedoms of mentally ill people. They decided that we were going to protect their rights and freedoms even if it means someone gets killed. And often times that is the result, either in suicide (the most prevalent manifestation) or something like this happens.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 4 months ago

invictus (Anonymous) says:Read "Atlas Shrugged":::::. to understand conservative principles.Read any children's book to understand liberal principles.--------------Invictus is correct on the Atlas Shrugged example. In the book, people who have no idea how to run railroads or the government are put in charge. They eventually destroy both. When I read that the guy in charge of FEMA during Katrina (Michael Brown) had no experience and therefore no business being in charge of FEMA, I thought of Atlas Shrugged. As we all know, "Brownie" was put in charge of FEMA by his good buddy George and the rest is disaster history. In Atlas Shrugged, George Bush is James Taggert.

George_Braziller 6 years, 4 months ago

So please tell us what language you do speak.____invictus (Anonymous) says: Sorry I didn't get that, I don't speak imbecile.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 4 months ago

The attacker apparently started eating the guy. I can't imagine how the other passengers must feel today. Details and eyewitness accounts here:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080801.DEATH01/TPStory/National/?pageRequested=all

Tammy Yergey 6 years, 4 months ago

Thank you,Haiku, for the term! That has driven me crazy for a long time... something long forgotten since college Psych! I remember a case in the 90s, believe, Detroit, where a tiny young woman rear-ended the car holding two large males on a grid-locked bridge. They proceeded to pull her out of the car, rip her clothes off, beat her up, until she finally had to jump off the bridge to get away. She drowned in her attempt. The sad thing is that there were hundreds of witnesses. No one did anything until after the lady jumped. When I heard that case, I decided I would never be part of the crowd, but I would be that one who would do something. I don't know what. Maybe ram my car, something, but I don't think I could live with myself if I allowed someone to be victimized and did nothing to try to help.

sdinges 6 years, 4 months ago

I actually think helping some old lady up from the frozen sidewalk is a heck of a lot different from confronting an armed psycho. We have a natural instinct to avoid danger, not run in the direction of it.Personally, I'd help the old lady - but I'd flee from the psycho. And while I was fleeing, I wouldn't be thinking "oh well, someone else will do it" - I'd be thinking (if anything) "Oh my god, that guy could kill me!"

crimsonlaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Two things. This is truly terrifying! So creepy!Also, have any of you T-bashers ever actually ridden the bus? There are quite a few more people riding than you even have a clue about. You cannot complain about something you know nothing about.

kidicarus 6 years, 4 months ago

The lack of respect in the first six responses to this story is appalling.

fu7il3 6 years, 4 months ago

That's the problem with society, we want everyone else to stand up for us, take care of other people for us. Sometimes you can't wait that long. If those people just sit there and think "gee, where's a police officer when you need them?" they are part of the problem.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

invictus: Chinese, and you're being an idiot.

ReadingSports 6 years, 4 months ago

I think he has a point about the rights and freedoms. Under the old system of psych hospitals it was fairly easy, in fact too easy, to lock someone up that sometimes really didn't need to be.Though I disagree this a a progressive issue.Now it is virtually impossible to have someone declared incompetent that should be. They practically have to point a gun or a knife at someone. I believe the legal standard is best described as "a clear and immediate danger" to themselves or others.This standard is way beyond the financial means of most families. So if crazy old Aunt Lily is walking the house talking to herself, and can't be taken care of by her family anymore, then a lot of times she ends up on the street.Hopefully the pendulum will swing back a little bit.Not sure how that would have stopped this attack, since an episode can come on suddenly, and without warning.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Mancity. They can have rifles and shotguns for hunting, but it is very hard if not impossible for a private Canadian citizen to own a handgun. This I know as I have several good college buddies who are Canadian.And a few yrs back, they were even trying to take away shotguns.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 4 months ago

"I wish I could remember the psychological term, but there is a theory that in a group,no one feels that he/she has to take responsbility, so no one does anything."It's called "diffusion of responsibility". I had an 83 year old aunt that fell on an icy sidewalk in downtown Chicago. As she laid there and struggled, people just walked around her because they figured somebody else would help her.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

invictus (Anonymous) says:"I don't speak imbecile."Oh?

fu7il3 6 years, 4 months ago

"I imagine it was pretty much over as quick as it started."A sleeping man was stabbed repeatedly, then his head was sawn off with a butcher knife. That doesn't strike me as something that is over quickly."Requiring citizens to help another citizen is what you think should be done here?"There shouldn't be a requirement. They should feel obligated to do it. Just like Haiku's aunt, someone should have stopped and helped her. The idea that "someone else will do it" has become a mantra in our society.

sdinges 6 years, 4 months ago

Bear in mind that the incident happened at night. Maybe you've never had to ride a Greyhound bus, but it's not exactly easy to see what's going on all around you, especially not when it's dark.So next time you're sitting half-asleep on a dark Greyhound and someone gets decapitated in the back, ask yourself what your logical course of action is: Exit the bus with the other panicked passengers; or stand up say "hmm... I wonder if someone needs my help back there!" then fight your way back to check it out - unarmed and alone.Oh, and for all those who think this is a Canadian thing - have you forgotten all those planes on 9/11? Only one failed to reach it's intended target.Finally, this isn't about politics - so quit being offensive. It's about some crazy person who got on a bus and murdered someone he didn't know and probably never even spoke to.

Corey Williams 6 years, 4 months ago

"And no guns allowed in Canada:.I'm just sayin'"Actually, Topjayhawk, Canada has over seven million guns in the hands of private citizens. "Canukistan is a progressive nation where individual liberty is second to social engineering. Requiring citizens to help another citizen is not their job. That is why the state has police, fire, and EMT services. Public safety is a state responsibility, not private."Wait, we've had those services in America for quite awhile. Does that make America a progressive nation? Would you turn down the fire department if our house was on fire? Would that make you a progressive/socialist if you didn't?

lostcreek 6 years, 4 months ago

The Driver was the hero, he got the poeple of the bus and made sure they were safe. Greyhound Drivers are not allowed to carry a Guns !

Mike Ford 6 years, 4 months ago

Young man, possibly Native, killed in vicious attackThursday, July 31, 2008Filed Under: First Nations A young man described as Native was killed in a brutal attack on a Greyhound bus in Manitoba on Wednesday night. The man was stabbed repeatedly before he was decapitated, witnesses said. Passengers watched in horror as the attack unfolded as the bus was traveling from to Winnipeg, Manitoba, from Edmonton, Alberta. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police took a man in custody in connection with the incident. Witnesses said he appeared calm as he attacked the victim. The RCMP is not confirming any of the details of the attack. It's nice to see all of the racists come out of the woodwork.This part wasn't reported in US papers due to all of theracism here.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Logic. Actually it is not a stupid statement. I know of what I speak. It is excactly that. I will even throw in Gov Bill Graves, who was a "rino" And also our esteemed director of SRS at the time, one Rachele Chronister. So yes progressive thinkers from both parties have blood on their hands.I would encourage you to use your brain a little more often and at least realize that you are not an expert on everything.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

"This came about around the country in the last decade, as progressive thinkers were worried about the rights and freedoms of mentally ill people."You're making up motivations, or at least copying from other people doing so. There are a number of things behind the trend of deinstitutionalization, and while some of it may revolve around PC and rights-issues (and there is a great deal of truth behind the fatal flaws and faults of the old psych hospitals) just as big if not more is the lack of funding, as local, state and fed all try and push the responsibility away from themselves and towards the others. Your poor attempt to turn this into an anti-progressive issue just shows your own crippling bias.